2009 Jeep Patriot

8.1

Based on 463 Ratings for the 2007 - 2017 models.

Rides and handles nicely

By on Saturday, September 1, 2012

Pros: "Rides nicely, handles well."

Cons: "Bluetooth doesn't work as well as I would expect."

"I actually have not needed the 4wd yet, but trust that it will handle as well as the Grand Cherokee I had some years ago. This Patriot has a great radio and a multi-cd changer. Bluetooth sometimes is scratchy and both Jeep and my cell provider has tried to correct it on a permanent basis. The a/c (live in Vegas..this is a big deal here) is wonderful. Mileage is decent except when I run the a/c..that is expected. Nice paint job and looks good. It turns quite well. It stops nicely. Considering the price, it is a good value."

Reliable and sufficient

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Gas mileage 27mpg average city and highway."

Cons: "Suspension components"

"Good vehicle for the money. I drive alot for work (35k a year) The only real issues I have had are the suspension parts don't last because they aren't greasable but all new vehicles are like that now. Only other issue was that the alternator went out at 130k but to be expected. What I wasn't expecting was a $550. bill to do it. The brakes lasted 120k. Right now I am fighting an alignment problem that neither Jeep or a private shop can figure out which causes the rear tires to wear prematurely which is getting annoying. I think it might be time to trade it in on a new one."

I Love It

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "Fun, Reliable, most fuel efficient Jeep"

Cons: "Smallest Jeep engine, there are some blind spots"

"My Patriot has a few options like the sunroof, larger aluminum wheels, satellite radio and manual transmission, which altogether makes it the funnest and most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned. The cargo room is amazing. I wish that it would accelerate a bit faster on the highway, and that it would get better gas mileage; but at 20-28mpg it's not bad. The computerized ultra-sensitive traction system and my manual transmission make winter driving easier although I have a 2WD model."

Great value for price, best car I've owned!

By on Saturday, January 21, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, reliable, comfortable"

Cons: "limited fuel range"

"I only have two complaints about this car: (1) the fuel range is limited (only like a 13 gallon tank), so if you drive a lot, you'll be filling up the tank a lot; (2) no sunroof in mine! But seriously, this car has been amazing for me. It can manage any weather thrown at it, and it handles the Wisconsin weather beautifully. I feel safe in it, too. It's well-built, extremely comfortable, and it's big enough to throw my bike in the back with just one of the back seats flipped down. There feels like tons of room in the front and rear seats, also, so much so that my 6ft tall husband can be just as comfortable anywhere in the car as me at 5'4. On top of all that, I get around 25-26 mpg consistently, which is the best of any SUV you can buy at this price point, and better than most SUVs, period. There are lots of complaints about the transmission in it, but it doesn't bother me one bit. It seems to only bother people who are really serious car people, like my husband, but even he loves my car in spite of it. When accelerating, sometimes the transmission revs loudly and can sound like a diesel engine, but once it gets to the gear it needs to be in, it's actually quite quiet. Overall, I have a lot of fun driving my car, and I plan on driving it for as long as I can. It's the best purchase I've made in a long time, and I've never had buyer's remorse over it. I love my car a whole lot, and I think it's a great option for people who need a reliable, fuel-efficient SUV at a price point that won't break the bank."

Great small SUV

By on Monday, December 19, 2011

Pros: "Very dependable - comfortable ride"

Cons: "Center cupholders could have been designed better"

"Owned for 2 years - great MPG (25 consistently) All features work well."

Great vehicle for the price

By on Sunday, November 27, 2011

"My wife had a Jeep Liberty and we were looking for something that got better fuel mileage but still 4wd. The jeep patriot is still just as roomy and fun to drive. I would recommend this vehicle to family of 4 and anyone who lives in a winter climate."

LOVE THIS CAR

By on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pros: "Great highway drive! Feels safe, but still fun!"

Cons: "Is not luxurious in anyway"

"I have owned my Jeep Patriot for a year now. Bought '08 when it had 22k miles and not have approx 35k. It has the black sparkling paint that shines in the sun. The car drives amazing, has had NO problems whatsoever! The car is one of the safest SUVs you could buy as well as receives great gas mileage for an SUV. (19-22 per gallon is my usual) I'm not sure why someone would complain that it is heavy... of course it is heavy... it's an SUV. The heaviness makes it incredibly safe. I don't want a super light car that will collapse in a collision or will flip over when going around a sharp corner. And as far as the transmission... This car has very good pick up. My boyfriend drives it much different then I do and loves to 'floor it' as he gets on the highway. I had a Jetta turbo before this... very similar in getup! The car has so much room inside. The seats are comfortable and made of fabric that is super easy to clean! the floor mats are plastic and so easy to take out and hose down! I love having my dog ride with me in the car, and I don't have time to scrub it down all the time! It's so convenient! If you want a luxury sports car, don't expect it from a Patriot. But haven driven a Laredo compared to my Patriot, I would pick the Patriot any day. The patriot has a much tighter steering while the Laredo I felt so unsafe on the highway, the Patriot feels extremely comfortable and the wind doesn't phase the car! (HEAVINESS!!!!) I love this car, it's a great buy for the money. It's unique and not everyone is driving one (at least not yet) so I can still find it in the parking lot! My dad was very iffy about buying an SUV and he said over and over again we're just going to look... We bought it on the spot that day.. it was too good of a car to pass up! we loved it right then! Let me tell you... my mom was not pleased, but even she loves the car!"

Approach with caution, better with a warranty.

By on Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Pros: "Handy 1 to 2 person vehicle."

Cons: "Expensive repairs require a warranty"

"I have a 2009 Jeep Patriot that I purchased new for my wife's daily driver. The Jeep has been a decent vehicle, but has had two issues that have required warranty work. The transmission started leaking at about 12000 miles and was replaced and the low tire pressure indicator did not work right from the day we bought it and finally required replacing the sensors and a computer to fix. Otherwise, the Jeep has been a reliable car. It gets OK gas mileage. The CVT works much better than ones on older Patriots. The autostick is a nice toy, but not really needed for acceleration. The Jeep is as big as my '96 Villager minivan, but only has room for 4 passengers comfortably and has a very small cargo area. Seems to have a LOT of wasted space. The air intake must be removed to work on the battery, but other servicing is not difficult. The 2.4L is a good engine. It has Sirrius and the tech is very good for the price. The deep footwells are welcome in an SUV. The interior quality is light years ahead of older Patriots. Overall, I would purchase a Jeep Patriot if I could get an extended warranty to cover major repairs, but would be wary otherwise. It is good for a personal use vehicle for 1 or 2 passengers, but gets crowded and overwhelmed in a hurry."

Great SUV!

By on Friday, November 18, 2011

Pros: "Gas mileage, lots of room, quiet ride!"

Cons: "No power locks, or windows...maybe next one! :)"

"This is a great SUV that gets excellent gas mileage. This is my first Jeep and I am very happy with my purchase. I researched a long time (1 year) before buying, so if you just have to get a Jeep and don't want a gas hog, THIS is the Jeep you want!"

Very reliable and excellent milage

By on Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Pros: "Very good price and excellent to drive."

Cons: "none for me and I am 6ft. and 225#"

"Has an 110 volt outlet, very convenient for computers etc. Console slides back and forth so you can use it for arm rest or get out of your way. A great small car. Lots of room."

quite impressed

By on Sunday, March 6, 2011

"As I found myself needing a vehicle with 4 wheel drive and being as fuel thrifty as possible I bought my first Jeep Patriot. It delivered everything that I asked from it, doing about 22,000 miles a year, in some of the worst winter weather possible. Being used to mostly 8 cylinders and some 6 cylinders, the 4 cylinder was quite anemic in power at first, but the 5 speed made up for it a bit, and was still fun to drive, and the goal of saving on fuel made up for the rest."

LOVE the stereo

By on Wednesday, February 9, 2011

"Owned a 2007 Sport for 1 year. I like how it handles in MN Winter. I added an after- market sun roof, so that's nice. Love the heated seats in MN. Like the classic Jeep body style. If feels like a safe, smart SUV. Dislike: small gas tank, wind tunnel noise when back windows are down. CVT transmission is just weird...like driving a go cart or a lawn mower! Pick up from 0-60mph is not enough for the Twin Cities. Rear tailgate doesn't go up far enough and I'm only 5'8" tall. Just replaced tie rods at 50,000 and I'm hearing another noise from the front end. I'd buy a Jeep again, not sure if I'd get another Patriot. Paid too much for it, so I'll pass it on to my daughter when she starts to drive."

Low Cost Transportation

By on Sunday, January 30, 2011

"I bought this vehicle strickly on price when they were giving them away in 2008 for $14,200 and a $500 gas card. It is the base 4WD model with 5 speed manual transmission. It came with a lifetime drivetrain warranty. No trips to the dealer for service in the first 3 yrs. Gets great mileage, 23/24mpg overall average, 20 mpg in the dead of winter and 30mpg on a highway trip. Goes like a tank in snow. Not the classiest SUV on the road but the most economical."

This jeep rocks!

By on Sunday, November 28, 2010

"My Jeep Patriot 4WD 5 Speed sport is a great little unit. It holds the line well even on very bad roads and trails. The 4WD is solid on snow, ice, sand and washboard. It corners on a dime, and the electronic stability control is almost scary, this surprising vehicle can pull square turns at stupid speeds. The 5 speed taps the engines abilities and it cruises over mountains and on the interstate. Much like the original, it’s small and light and just what a little jeep was supposed to be. It is not a wrangler, but it is way ahead for value per dollar. This jeep rocks! I cannot believe that they are talking about killing it for some lame Fiat which is never going to be able to handle North American conditions."

Been great!

By on Monday, March 22, 2010

"I was used to the Grand Cherokee, but felt like I was hogging gas so decided to downsize to Patriot. Have averaged 20 mpg in town and 26-28 on hwy. Not the same plush comfort, but certainly not uncomfortable. Handles well in 4wd and snow."

Good Quality Ride

By on Friday, July 31, 2009

"I love my Jeep Patriot. It's a good quality ride with good gas mileage. It has the 4-wheel drive if I need it and not the 4-wheel drive ride. I would reccommend the Jeep Patriot to anyone..."

A Great Performance Value

By on Sunday, July 26, 2009

"I've got 50k miles on my Pat Limited and it keeps getting better with age. Getting 26-28 mpg. 31 mpg at 55 mph. Winter mpg (almost always in 4WD) was 22 mpg! Spent 6 hours driving thru a freak snowstorm w/ 10" snow on freeway and it never disappointed. In fact, we felt confidently safe. CVT is a blast, once you learn how to use it."

Double rebate - best deal in town

By on Saturday, July 25, 2009

"We just traded in our old Exploder under the Cash for Clunkers Program. We ended up with $8000 off, although it was of the full sticker price. We drove a LOT of cars before the Patriot, and having owned SUVs for over 20 years - the bang for the buck on this model is exceptional! We bought the 4 cyl with Auto Trans and it has good enough power to pass, get up hills quickly, and responsive with either the fully auto trans feature, or if you want to manually shift down. I rated the reliability a 5 because of other owners I have run into who have said - no problems with the Patriot, and being a previous Jeep owner, it feels solid like my old one. The performance and comfort could be improved, but remember this is a $20K SUV. 5 stars are for Escalades I guess. Jeep did the public a favor with this one by cutting down the overall size vs. a Cherokee, but keeping a lot of room back and front, and headroom as well. Mileage is not quite 25, but what car tells the truth on the stickers anyway??? The interior is also VERY comfortable, and I mean a powerful A/C, nice standard 6 disc CD/radio, seat design, the fully reclining passenger seat, and power controls in easy reach. If you are planning on going off-road, do more research. However, for the street and occasional needs to hit the dirt, this vehicle is solid! Highly recommended if you are on a budget and need room for the kids and all their stuff."

Great Buy

By on Saturday, January 31, 2009

"I purchased this vehile last summer and was immediately impressed with it's styling and comprehensive sound system. As a year went by I never cursed the quality of the car. I knew I was sacrificing tow capability for mpg, so I was never dissapointed, It is great for my outdoor/active lifestyle. With the flip down speakers it is second to none when it comes to tailgating. This car is nothing but fun and suits me perfectly!"

Great All-Around Vehicle

By on Friday, January 30, 2009

"We have the 5pd 4WD Sport version. Good gas mileage, fun to drive, excellent in snow."

GREAT momma car

By on Tuesday, September 30, 2008

"Not only is this SUV extremely good looking, but it gets GREAT gas mileage. I have a 6 months old daughter, and we purchased this car 4 months ago. I used to own a Saturn Sedan, and I get better gas mileage in our new 2008 Patriot than I ever did in our Saturn. It has a smaller gas tank AND last longer. It's a plus in both directions! It's so comfortable, and the Patriot comes with the option of the "Yes!" fabric which prevents stains (perfect for a family). Its a car that looks great and compact from the outside, but sitting inside it feels a WHOLE lot bigger. I couldn't be happier with our vehicle choice. I advise anyone who is going to be purchasing a SUV to take a SERIOUS look at the Patriot. I promise you won't regret it."

Great value

By on Wednesday, June 11, 2008

"Bought new in Aug. 2007 - actually got one of the first 2008 models in Oregon. Have since put on almost 20,000 miles... averaging about 27.5mpg. Gas mileage for the size of vehicle is great, and probably one of the best features. I have the 2.4 2x4 with CVT - does what it needs to do in around-town driving, and reasonably capable in snow and ice. I didn't buy this for 'performance', but it does well enough on the highway... For $15,900, I don't think you can find a much better 'utility vehicle'. I can tow a small boat, throw a kayak or bike on the roof, fill the inside with all sorts of junk, or bring several adult-sized people with me. Really a very versatile little rig - does exactly what I hoped it'd be able to do; with a bonus of gas mileage and comfort better than I had anticipated. The interior is pretty bland and cheap, but for the price of these, it's no surprise. At least vinyl is easy to clean. Mechanically so far, anyway, it seems very solid."

very pleased but let down

By on Thursday, May 15, 2008

"i am i the army and have had my patriot for 6 months now and already have over 11k miles on it gets about 20 mpg. i am amazingly pleased with it, i have a sport with 4wd and it is trailrated with the limited rims. seat warmers and cruse controll. the only drawback i feel the vehicle has is that it lacks in power. i do believe it is the transmission i have though, i have the constant variable transmission which you never feel shift a gear and although it is very comfortabe i feel that it eats up alot of power. but overall this vehicle is amazing i have taken it offroad and it will do anything you want it to except pull out you buddies jeep liberty who is bottomed out in mud. but the independent suspension does its job and got me through it."

By on Monday, May 5, 2008

"I love this jeep. I just wish it had a bigger engine and with a small engine still only 20 mpg."

Great Vehicle... i love to drive it

By on Saturday, May 3, 2008

"Had this car for 3 months now. LOVE IT, 6,000 miles and gas mileage is amazing. I live in MI so snow is easily overcome when I pop it into 4x4. I would of loved to get more on it, but this car has to last a while. Heated seats, rides amazing. Its an SUV that rides like a car, uses gas like a car, but holds 5 adults. AMAZING... Love it, buy it."