• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2008 Jeep Patriot

8.3

Based on 385 Ratings for the 2007 - 2015 models.

Good bang for the buck, reliable, and comfortable

By on Sunday, May 19, 2013

Pros: "price, reliablitiy, comfort"

Cons: "plain"

"The car lacks anything to be enthusiastic about, but has never given me any problems. The car handles well in snow, rain, wind, bumps, high speeds, traffic, and quick braking situations. Would buy again."

Great All Purpose Vehicle

By on Thursday, May 09, 2013

Pros: "Great Price/great highway mileage/typical Jeeplook"

Cons: "no lumbar/some cabin noise/"

"I have owned Cherkoees and Grand Cherokees which I cherished, now that I'm older I look at value. The Patriot is a good looking nostalgic Jeep. It is practical and useful for any family. It has comfortable seats and a great comfortable ride. The CVT is a little work getting used to but fine after that(2014 has the 6sp. auto). This car is great in all season inclimate weather and for slight off-road use. You will love the 27-29 MPG highway benefit with the CVT. I got a 2012 with CVT, 2.4L engine, the convenience pkg(heated elec. mirrors/elec.door locks/A/C/cruise control)for under $19.5(11/2012) with some perks. You must check for the incentive deals before you buy because you will get your best deal."

Very reliable, practical SUV.

By on Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Pros: "Great value and does what it was design for well"

Cons: "Loud power train, arm rest to short"

"It's a very practical SUV for around town shopping. My wife loves to load the back to bring home Costco size packages. It's easy to drive, reliable, and gives you a good view of the road. You can't beat it for the price. It's go in snow as well. When considering buying it realize it is a Jeep not a sports car. The 2008 has a CVT transmission which is loud as well as the motor going up steep hills. The new 2014 6 speed should help alot. It's a good SUV to purchase new and the life time warranty is still available as a option which is something to consider if you plan to keep it for long term. We have ours over five years and it looks and runs new. The hard plastic interior is easy to clean if you have kids and the seating folds for hauling long loads. My wife loves it and we plan to keep it for at least another 10 years like the last Jeep since she does only local driving."

Good entry level SUV

By on Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Pros: "Great on gas"

Cons: "4 cylinder eng is sluggish, needs more power"

"I like the gas mileage and seats 5 pretty comfortably."

Love the little Pat

By on Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Pros: "Easy on gas and good on city driving"

Cons: "Cheap interior and small rattles"

"Not much to say The patriot is the kind of vehicle you get for doing the little run about thing in your life. If you try to do to much heavy lifting it might let you down. I use it for my daily commute and running to the store. Love it just for that"

Like my old cherokee

By on Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Pros: "Very cherokee like"

Cons: "CVT IS A BIT SLUGGISH"

"I've had two cherokees and was really sad when they discontinued them. I would haven't bought a Jeep if it wasn't for this one being so close to a cherokee. I wish it wasn't a CVT and had a standard transfer case and a 6 cylinder. But the 4 cylinder is plenty, the Cvt performs well, and the 4wd works fine for everything Ill use it for. Its way better on gas too. But it really does feel like a new cherokee. I love it. very classy ride. Paid 23 for a latitude, came with block heater remote start and heated seats and all that cold weather stuff. Its a great little Jeep best bang for the buck."

Great vehicle. price and fuel millage

By on Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Pros: "cost, fuel millage, ride, dependable"

Cons: "could be 2" wider. Factory tires."

"I have a 2010 Patriot that I purchased new. It gets better fuel millage than the sticker. Rides great and I have had not one problem with it. I did not like the factory tires. They did wear well but have no off-road ability. I replaced them with a US made tire and I enjoy the outdoors off-road now. I have had many cars but this one is the best value by far."

Great Value

By on Sunday, March 10, 2013

Pros: "Acceleration, good gas mileage, reliable"

Cons: "Noisy when shifting"

"Patriot has great pick up. Gas mileage is good. Lots of cargo space. Front seat folds flat going forward. Ride is comfortable. The CVT is smooth shifting but a little noisy. I have no complaints."

I LOVE my new Jeep!!

By on Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Pros: "Ban for you buck!"

Cons: "A little nosiey but its a Jeep, remember that!"

"Like most I was pretty set on not getting a Chrysler product. I was actually dead set on not owning one. My boyfriend told me not to worry about Jeeps they are made better. With the bump in the quality of American made vehicles in the past few years, I said I would LOOK at it not buy just look at it. I went to the dealership and they showed me a 2010 Jeep Patriot that was a lease trade-in. I sat in it and was amazed. I had heard that they were nice but I found they are great. Mine has a sun roof, 2.4L engine, 4WD, SirusXM satellite radio. I love the look and feel of it. It drives great and I am very happy with it. And please remember this is from someone that was dead set against Chrysler products."

Great price for economy car thats not a car

By on Saturday, February 09, 2013

"Could not buy an economy car for what the Patriot cost, plus it's roomier, and looks good. How can you go wrong with a 3 year warranty? That is, if your a cheap skate like me, bang for the buck."

Much capability and versatility and affordable.

By on Saturday, December 29, 2012

Pros: "Priced right and quite capable."

Cons: "Two inches wider to better accomodate golf clubs."

"The vehicle is proof that lower end 4x4s don't have to sacrifice capability. I can drive in comfort at any legal speed and then hit the 4x4 switch and drive onto the beach or through the snow with no problem. Bottom line is that this lower priced vehicle is still a Jeep and is true to the heritage."

Great car!

By on Saturday, December 22, 2012

Pros: "great in snow, roomy, 30mpg, comfortable. reliable"

Cons: "no compass, exterior temp, mileage indicator"

"Great car!"

Don't waste your money

By on Friday, December 14, 2012

Cons: "Poor quality, high cost of ownership"

"I bought a 2007 Patriot in 2008, slightly used. I'd never owned a Chrysler product before because of their past quality ratings. This vehicle starting having trouble right from the beginning. At 15K miles, two of the speakers started crackling, then completely failed. This was covered under warranty.....No harm, no foul. Then at 60K miles I took it in to get new tires and an allignment but the technician couldn't do the allignment because the ball joints were shot. Unfortunately the ball joint is integrated into the control arm, meaning about $400 worth of parts and 2 Saturdays of my labor. Then at 80K the check engine light came on......another $300. At 110K miles the front bearings went, along with the tie rod ends, both steering knuckles, and both axle ends.....another $1350! This car was only used for city driving and was never pushed hard. This is an unbelievably poor vehicle and I will never buy another Chrysler product."

Great Value with 4WD.

By on Saturday, December 01, 2012

Pros: "Reliable and well built"

Cons: "heavy feeling and slow on the go"

"I have owned this for almost 5 years. This is the only vechile I have ever purchased new. I have the Limited package because I wanted heated seats and the towing package, although I came to realize that a 4 cyl can't really tow too much. I added a big trailer hitch that proabably has hurt my mileage a bit. I can get 22 city , and almost 25 highway if you use the cruise control and keep the speed down. I have found the cargo capacity adaquate for hauling things, if you can fold the seats down. Back seat leg room is average, if the front seats are forward some. I have always had a car seat in the back seat, and the child can see out very nicely. The 4cyl was a little slow on the go when it was new, but after about 12,000 miles it was better. 4WD has been dependable, I traveled through snow and ice covered roads with no issues, but haven't used it alot. The clearance is not too high. Not sure I really needed the 4WD. I have not done any repairs on this, only tires and battery, and regular oil changes. I have loved this vechicle and have waited to trade it in until I had some equity built up on it. My only regret is that I purchases this right before the Chrysler bailout. I probably would not go back to Chrysler just for that reason. But that is a political issue and no bering on this reveiw."

hard to beat the patriot

By on Saturday, November 24, 2012

Pros: "Very safe in bad weather, good resale value."

Cons: "slow acceleration at low speed"

"Very high quality when you buy the Limited. Very reliable, and unstoppable in the snow/ice.The automatic traction and anti-lock brakes are superb. lock up four wheel drive, and it has never gotten us stuck. I serviced it regularly, and had no problems with the CVT transmission. It got 21 city like clock work, and 28mpg on long trips. Tires lasted 43,000 miles, and front brakes at 60,000.The jeep is a little pokey from a dead start, but wind it up and it hits highway speeds quickly. I am buying a new one since it is the last year for this style. I paid 22,000 for the 2007, and am selling it for 11,000 used! I can live with that."

Great Vehicle

By on Friday, November 16, 2012

Pros: "Price-ride-looks-good driving view"

Cons: "More horsepower,sound proofing,seat padding"

"I have a Sport/2.4L/CVT2 with the 26A package and the Power Value Group. I put a K & N air filter in(replaces the OEM filter)which I am getting 20.5mpg in the city and 27mpg on the highway using the cruise control(no a/c on)and no faster than 65mph. This car is fun to drive and looks great in and outside. The inside is a little plain so I installed a Wood Dash Kit and JEEP sideless seat covers and it looks fantastic. I read some complaints about the power, although it is a little slow from an uphill dead start but on the level and highway I see no problem. If they would tweak the 2.4L up to 190HP I think there would be less complaints. I feel the cabin should be more sound proofed, I undercoated with 6 cans of good undercoating and it helped lower the noise in the cabin. The rear seat needs more padding."

had over 200 cars in70 years from fords to bentley

By on Monday, November 12, 2012

"this jeep tops them all in ride, and quality control. only problems is brakes fade quickly on panic stops."

2011 Jeep Patriot

By on Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pros: "Styling, Economy Fit and Finish, Interior"

Cons: "Small Interior, Blind Spots"

"Got my Patriot Sport with 37K miles on it, a former Enterprise rental car. Love it!!! Looks brand new. Perfect interior and great ergonomics. Radio has great bass. Smooth accleration. I like the CVT and the 2.0 four banger. My first Jeep ever. Does have a smallish interior but it is well appointed and comfortable. Blind spot in the back but no more than a RAV4 or other small SUVs. We all know this is not a real SUV, rather it is a nice sturdy and stylish station wagon. I looked and looked and looked for a small SUV. Honda and Kia and Toyota and even Chevy were just too expensive used! Good car...great value...buy it!"

Issues with power during long drives

By on Sunday, September 30, 2012

Pros: "comfy interior"

Cons: "As described; major power issues"

"Here is our experience with our manual 4WD 2009 Patriot: It has gotten mostly Ok gas mileage on the highway. When we first bought it, we were getting about 29-30MPG highway, but after about a year, this was probably down to 25MPG. However, around town, mileage occasionally was as poor as about 15MPG.Keep in mind we have standard transmission, AND we know how to drive a standard to optimize mileage. So, this vehicle is probably not quite what it is implied to be as a fuel cost friendly JEEP model. About 2 years into ownership, we were on a long trip, and in the middle of nowhere, and O2 sensor failed, and it caused the vehicle to fail entirely. I have never had a O2 sensor failure cause a vehicle to essentially stop running, but it did with our Patriot. We had to get it towed, rent a temporary vehicle, but luckily the sensor was under warranty, and the dealership people were really quite helpful with our emergency. In year three, on another long trip, after about 500 miles, the engine began to stall at high speed (75MPH) after slowing for traffic, and was worse when dropping speed and into lower gear. We made it to a nearby dealership. They recognized the problem, but could not identify the cause. Suggested we had dirty fuel, added injection cleaner, and we were off for another 300 miles before it failed again as I slowed to a stop sign after nearly continuous high speed cruise. From there on, I nursed the vehicle another 1000 miles at low speed and frequent stops to our destination. Took it to another dealership, and they also couldn’t find the cause. Here is what I think. There are some fundamental issues in the Patriot engine, ignition, cruise control, and throttle designs. All problems tended to occur at high elevation, >6000ft. always just after disengaging cruise control, and after suddenly needing to slow the vehicle after a long cruise. There is a chance we were experiencing vapor lock, but don’t think so. I think the cruise control may not be correctly releasing control of the throttle. The dealerships we have visited have not disputed this scenario, but have also suggested (remarkably) that the patriot may be too underpowered for high speed high elevation driving, and has insufficient reserve power when the engine is placed under stress of sudden declines at speed to lower gear where more power is required from the engine for quick accelerations. Normally you lose power at higher gear, but the Patriot seems to lose power at lower year after the engine has been stressed. Here are my final thoughts. I suspect the patriot is too underpowered for anything but normal around the town driving. If you want a vehicle for long distance, high temperature conditions, higher elevation, steep climbs, 4WD use, the Patriot is NOT a good choice. I would stick with a Wrangler or Cherokee. If your Patriot will only remain in town, it may be OK, but be careful out of town."

Not for me.

By on Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Pros: "Comfort and nice inside."

Cons: "alot of issues with car"

"I bought this car brand new in 2008. This car has a small vibration when up a slope/hill. Not even a year old, the engine goes. This year my car stalls and stops at a light. It is a very nice and comfortable car but I am not sure this car will last before I finish paying for it."

I was anti-Jeep

By on Saturday, September 01, 2012

Cons: "no ashtray or lighter"

"I was not a Jeep fan, but the more I drive it, the more I love it!!!! Really happy it did not come with bells and whistles....."

Rides and handles nicely

By on Saturday, September 01, 2012

Pros: "Rides nicely, handles well."

Cons: "Bluetooth doesn't work as well as I would expect."

"I actually have not needed the 4wd yet, but trust that it will handle as well as the Grand Cherokee I had some years ago. This Patriot has a great radio and a multi-cd changer. Bluetooth sometimes is scratchy and both Jeep and my cell provider has tried to correct it on a permanent basis. The a/c (live in Vegas..this is a big deal here) is wonderful. Mileage is decent except when I run the a/c..that is expected. Nice paint job and looks good. It turns quite well. It stops nicely. Considering the price, it is a good value."

2012 CHERRY RED PATRIOT LATITUDE 4X4 CVT

By on Monday, August 27, 2012

Pros: "everything"

"Great vehicle, no problems, wasn't sure about cvt tranny but really like it. mileage on highway high 20's. just like everything about it. great in winter."

I like it more everytime I drive it!

By on Saturday, August 25, 2012

Pros: "Smooth, reliable, fun to drive."

Cons: "Lack of torque from a stop"

"I upgraded from a 2007 Chevy Cobalt to my 2010 Jeep Patriot FD1 in 9/2011. I've driven all types of vehicles from pickup trucks to passenger, sport and muscle cars to small and large SUV's. PROS: After having it for a year, I continue to enjoy and increase my enjoyment evertime I drive my little Patriot. I love the mileage, and though not great, better than any V6 SUV I've driven while keeping myself in an American car. It performs well on the highway with a smooth ride. With the CVT, the feelings of the vehicle shifting are non-existent, making it comfortable driving around town where any other car will be changing gears up and down constantly. The ESC (Electronic Stability Control) keeps it on the road in icy/snow conditions. I've purposely tried to spin the vehicle out unsuccessfully in some of our heavy Colorado Snowstorms - though I still drive with care. Cargo room is great, passenger space is wonderful, head room is great. Independent Suspension makes for a wonderful ride in the city where potholes are abundant. CONS: OEM tires are really noisy on the road, I suggest upgrading to something with less road noise. Low-End torque is a bit lacking from a stop. It feels a bit sluggish merging into traffic, but isn't a huge deal. The size of the vehicle compared to the motor leaves a lot of room under the hood, which is nice when you want to get at stuff. But, they should have used some more of this abundance of space by making the Patriot a 2.6L or 2.8L I-4 to give it a bit more pickup & go. The layout of the windshield makes seeing overhead stop lights difficult, but again not something that is a huge deal. Does not have a full-size spare tire. CVT is at times noisier than traditional transmissions. Makes getting up to speed a bit louder, but once you are cruising, it is smooth & quiet. I do wonder about long-term reliability of the CVT because they have only recently begun to be used in Production vehicles. But the CVT was invented over 100 years ago, so the concept is not new. I wish they had standard tinted windows. Should have made power driver seat standard. OVERALL: Overall, I really love this little Jeep. It wasn't too expensive, and is a great alternative for someone who wants to not sit on the asphalt behind big trucks with headlights shining through the mirrors from behind in your eyes, but doesn't want the negatives of a large SUV. I suggest avoiding the front-wheel drive only version. Get at least the AWD/4WD 2.4L FD1 if you want to get the best value. Upgrde to the 2.4L FD2 for increased offroad-ability offering the added 19:1 Low Gear for those tough trails. Great for a city-goer who needs a smaller car to fit in those tight parking lots. Also a good option for travelers who want to save money on gas, but want to have enough room for the wife, kid(s) and family dog. Great for people who live in areas that experience harsh winters. This little Patriot will get you where you want to go with no worries about getting stuck with the added ability of light to medium off road capabilities."

I should have listened to my Father

By on Monday, August 20, 2012

Cons: "Too many to list"

"During the time I owned it it would act oddly. Stalling, hesitating or not start at all. The transmission went at 125,000 miles. When I say "went" I mean I needed $5,700 to replace it. It was boxy and had a lot of plastic. Not a lot of get up and go. Poor milage. I'm glad its gone."

See if you qualify for