• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2008 Jeep Patriot

8.3

Based on 393 Ratings for the 2007 - 2015 models.

The drive is amazing!

By on Wednesday, July 31, 2013

"I was accually looking for a different car when the car salesmen showed me the the Patriot. I didnt think I was going to like it, but I gave it a chance and I love it! It drive so smooth on and off roads."

ho-hum vehicle. no real stand out in anything.

By on Sunday, July 28, 2013

"usually get 26 mpg, but as high as 30mpg 80% hwy/20% city. the bad: not a fast car, not trail rated despite claims, somewhat tippy on curves, no low end torque at all, 5 speed is bad notchy and reverse gear is a bear to find, a/c always starts in floor mode despite settings, ongoing issues with seals make humidity in the interior a real problem, seating seems to be mashing flat after just 6 months use, roof structure is "tinny", manufacturer's warranty aren't worth the paper they are written on, no seat height adjustment on sport model and the dealer will not install for legal reasons, oil life monitoring doesn't work as it should cheap tires even w/ premium wheels, basic A/C is a $1000 option but foglamps are standard, negotiate your best deal before buying b/c it's value will sink like a stone. the good: can be had cheap, spiritual ancestor to those who like the 90's cherokee, upgraded interior after '10 models, the only US-made car-based SUV w/ manual trans and 4WD and one of two cars (2nd is MINI countryman $26K) available for the US, not as butt-ugly as the Compass, newer models have black plastic accents."

By on Friday, July 26, 2013

Pros: "small yet comfortable, good ride. you feel safe in"

Cons: "small gas tank, slow acceleration"

"Jeep really nailed it with the Patriot. A small SUV with a sedan feel but yet reliable in rough conditions like you will expect a JEEP. I love my Patriot, I've owned one since they came out in 2007 and I plan on keeping it forever. I moved from PR and brought it with me!"

Great value for the price of car

By on Sunday, July 14, 2013

"We bought our 2014 Jeep Patriot the end of June and we love the car. We drove 6 or 7 new vehicles at the Jeep/Chrysler dealership and we fell in love with the Patriot; it gets great gas mileage 32mpg so far city/hwy combined, it handles like the old wagoneers of the past and is very comfortable and roomy inside and is fun to drive. The 2.0L engine with the 6 speed automatic has plenty of power to climb the mountains around us in AZ and cruizes down freeway with ease. We got the Winter Chill color and dark charcoal interior. We have no regrets of buying this car, extremely happy with it. If you haven't driven one and you like the simplicity of Jeep then I recommend it to you."

too many blind spots

By on Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pros: "found out i gave to much for it, it was just aride"

Cons: "no ash tray"

"way windshield is in, causes too many blind spots, hard to see to right sharp curves at night, also to the left, headreast on back seats is hard to see out the rear, seats sats to low, cannot rest arm on door with window open,due to blind spot on left of windshield, caused me to hit a light post concrete bottom, and i hope the insurance will total it out, and NO i will not buy another patriot!!!!!!!"

Can't wait to trade this in...

By on Saturday, July 06, 2013

Pros: "Inexpensive SUV w/ 4WD"

Cons: "Engine hesitation. Chrysler cut corners."

"We purchased our Patriot on Independence Day last year (7/4/2012).. We had an issue with water leaking info the rear cargo area for 11 of the 12 months that we've owned it. Corporate just repaired/ corrected the water issue last month, on the fifth attempt to correct/ fix the problem. (Corporate was also not a pleasant experience for the record. The mid-Atlantic CSR who contacted my husband and I with regard o the repairs was rude and degrading on the phone. He did not care about the potential health problems that I was experiencing as a result of a vehicle that had been leaking for several month (asthma & allergy concerns with a mold/ mildew trigger). And at one point during the conversation even said,"I wouldn't buy your car back if you we're my sister." Fortunately, the service manager that we dealt with after that point was much more pleasant to deal with.) Approximately 5 months after purchase (3,000 miles), the vehicle stalled at a stop sign in the neighborhood (stop #2). It was taken in for service, and after a 3 hour diagnostic I was sent on my way without a resolution or diagnosis. The dealer just told me to let it warm up for longer. Six months later we received a recall notice for the fuel line connecter, which will cause your car to stall unexpectedly if you have less than a half of tank of gas, possibly causing an accident. Wait it gets better, Chrysler would love to fix this problem, but (surprise surprise) the part to correct this dangerous situation hasn't been manufactured yet, and they don't know when it will be available. (It's been more than a month and its still not fixed.) Yesterday, we received yet another recall notice with regard to seatbelt auto-locking mechanism as well as airbag deployment (i.e., they won't function when you need them to). In short, I've always wanted a Jeep and was really excited when I finally owned one. Now a year later, I can't wait until the nightmare is over."

Can't wait to trade this in...

By on Saturday, July 06, 2013

Pros: "Body style. Inexpensive SUV with 4WD."

Cons: "Engine hesitation. Poorly manufactured."

Constant problems

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

"I leased this car when it came out in 2008 and ended up buying in 2011. Ever since I bought this car, it has been in the shop every other month with problems. The most frequent problem I have is that the shift gets stuck in park. No matter how hard I press my foot on the brake I can't go into reverse or drive. The dealer claims to fix it as a problem w/ the sensor only for it to happen again a few weeks later. Also, it has failed to start sometimes, my dealership claiming it needed "computer updates". On top of this, I had problems with the driver door falling out of place and having to crawl out of the passenger side until they could fix this door. The only positives are good gas mileage and I'm able to get around in the winter time."

Good bang for the buck, reliable, and comfortable

By on Sunday, May 19, 2013

Pros: "price, reliablitiy, comfort"

Cons: "plain"

"The car lacks anything to be enthusiastic about, but has never given me any problems. The car handles well in snow, rain, wind, bumps, high speeds, traffic, and quick braking situations. Would buy again."

Great All Purpose Vehicle

By on Thursday, May 09, 2013

Pros: "Great Price/great highway mileage/typical Jeeplook"

Cons: "no lumbar/some cabin noise/"

"I have owned Cherkoees and Grand Cherokees which I cherished, now that I'm older I look at value. The Patriot is a good looking nostalgic Jeep. It is practical and useful for any family. It has comfortable seats and a great comfortable ride. The CVT is a little work getting used to but fine after that(2014 has the 6sp. auto). This car is great in all season inclimate weather and for slight off-road use. You will love the 27-29 MPG highway benefit with the CVT. I got a 2012 with CVT, 2.4L engine, the convenience pkg(heated elec. mirrors/elec.door locks/A/C/cruise control)for under $19.5(11/2012) with some perks. You must check for the incentive deals before you buy because you will get your best deal."

Very reliable, practical SUV.

By on Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Pros: "Great value and does what it was design for well"

Cons: "Loud power train, arm rest to short"

"It's a very practical SUV for around town shopping. My wife loves to load the back to bring home Costco size packages. It's easy to drive, reliable, and gives you a good view of the road. You can't beat it for the price. It's go in snow as well. When considering buying it realize it is a Jeep not a sports car. The 2008 has a CVT transmission which is loud as well as the motor going up steep hills. The new 2014 6 speed should help alot. It's a good SUV to purchase new and the life time warranty is still available as a option which is something to consider if you plan to keep it for long term. We have ours over five years and it looks and runs new. The hard plastic interior is easy to clean if you have kids and the seating folds for hauling long loads. My wife loves it and we plan to keep it for at least another 10 years like the last Jeep since she does only local driving."

Good entry level SUV

By on Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Pros: "Great on gas"

Cons: "4 cylinder eng is sluggish, needs more power"

"I like the gas mileage and seats 5 pretty comfortably."

Love the little Pat

By on Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Pros: "Easy on gas and good on city driving"

Cons: "Cheap interior and small rattles"

"Not much to say The patriot is the kind of vehicle you get for doing the little run about thing in your life. If you try to do to much heavy lifting it might let you down. I use it for my daily commute and running to the store. Love it just for that"

Like my old cherokee

By on Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Pros: "Very cherokee like"

Cons: "CVT IS A BIT SLUGGISH"

"I've had two cherokees and was really sad when they discontinued them. I would haven't bought a Jeep if it wasn't for this one being so close to a cherokee. I wish it wasn't a CVT and had a standard transfer case and a 6 cylinder. But the 4 cylinder is plenty, the Cvt performs well, and the 4wd works fine for everything Ill use it for. Its way better on gas too. But it really does feel like a new cherokee. I love it. very classy ride. Paid 23 for a latitude, came with block heater remote start and heated seats and all that cold weather stuff. Its a great little Jeep best bang for the buck."

Great vehicle. price and fuel millage

By on Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Pros: "cost, fuel millage, ride, dependable"

Cons: "could be 2" wider. Factory tires."

"I have a 2010 Patriot that I purchased new. It gets better fuel millage than the sticker. Rides great and I have had not one problem with it. I did not like the factory tires. They did wear well but have no off-road ability. I replaced them with a US made tire and I enjoy the outdoors off-road now. I have had many cars but this one is the best value by far."

Great Value

By on Sunday, March 10, 2013

Pros: "Acceleration, good gas mileage, reliable"

Cons: "Noisy when shifting"

"Patriot has great pick up. Gas mileage is good. Lots of cargo space. Front seat folds flat going forward. Ride is comfortable. The CVT is smooth shifting but a little noisy. I have no complaints."

I LOVE my new Jeep!!

By on Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Pros: "Ban for you buck!"

Cons: "A little nosiey but its a Jeep, remember that!"

"Like most I was pretty set on not getting a Chrysler product. I was actually dead set on not owning one. My boyfriend told me not to worry about Jeeps they are made better. With the bump in the quality of American made vehicles in the past few years, I said I would LOOK at it not buy just look at it. I went to the dealership and they showed me a 2010 Jeep Patriot that was a lease trade-in. I sat in it and was amazed. I had heard that they were nice but I found they are great. Mine has a sun roof, 2.4L engine, 4WD, SirusXM satellite radio. I love the look and feel of it. It drives great and I am very happy with it. And please remember this is from someone that was dead set against Chrysler products."

Great price for economy car thats not a car

By on Saturday, February 09, 2013

"Could not buy an economy car for what the Patriot cost, plus it's roomier, and looks good. How can you go wrong with a 3 year warranty? That is, if your a cheap skate like me, bang for the buck."

Much capability and versatility and affordable.

By on Saturday, December 29, 2012

Pros: "Priced right and quite capable."

Cons: "Two inches wider to better accomodate golf clubs."

"The vehicle is proof that lower end 4x4s don't have to sacrifice capability. I can drive in comfort at any legal speed and then hit the 4x4 switch and drive onto the beach or through the snow with no problem. Bottom line is that this lower priced vehicle is still a Jeep and is true to the heritage."

Great car!

By on Saturday, December 22, 2012

Pros: "great in snow, roomy, 30mpg, comfortable. reliable"

Cons: "no compass, exterior temp, mileage indicator"

"Great car!"

Don't waste your money

By on Friday, December 14, 2012

Cons: "Poor quality, high cost of ownership"

"I bought a 2007 Patriot in 2008, slightly used. I'd never owned a Chrysler product before because of their past quality ratings. This vehicle starting having trouble right from the beginning. At 15K miles, two of the speakers started crackling, then completely failed. This was covered under warranty.....No harm, no foul. Then at 60K miles I took it in to get new tires and an allignment but the technician couldn't do the allignment because the ball joints were shot. Unfortunately the ball joint is integrated into the control arm, meaning about $400 worth of parts and 2 Saturdays of my labor. Then at 80K the check engine light came on......another $300. At 110K miles the front bearings went, along with the tie rod ends, both steering knuckles, and both axle ends.....another $1350! This car was only used for city driving and was never pushed hard. This is an unbelievably poor vehicle and I will never buy another Chrysler product."

Great Value with 4WD.

By on Saturday, December 01, 2012

Pros: "Reliable and well built"

Cons: "heavy feeling and slow on the go"

"I have owned this for almost 5 years. This is the only vechile I have ever purchased new. I have the Limited package because I wanted heated seats and the towing package, although I came to realize that a 4 cyl can't really tow too much. I added a big trailer hitch that proabably has hurt my mileage a bit. I can get 22 city , and almost 25 highway if you use the cruise control and keep the speed down. I have found the cargo capacity adaquate for hauling things, if you can fold the seats down. Back seat leg room is average, if the front seats are forward some. I have always had a car seat in the back seat, and the child can see out very nicely. The 4cyl was a little slow on the go when it was new, but after about 12,000 miles it was better. 4WD has been dependable, I traveled through snow and ice covered roads with no issues, but haven't used it alot. The clearance is not too high. Not sure I really needed the 4WD. I have not done any repairs on this, only tires and battery, and regular oil changes. I have loved this vechicle and have waited to trade it in until I had some equity built up on it. My only regret is that I purchases this right before the Chrysler bailout. I probably would not go back to Chrysler just for that reason. But that is a political issue and no bering on this reveiw."

hard to beat the patriot

By on Saturday, November 24, 2012

Pros: "Very safe in bad weather, good resale value."

Cons: "slow acceleration at low speed"

"Very high quality when you buy the Limited. Very reliable, and unstoppable in the snow/ice.The automatic traction and anti-lock brakes are superb. lock up four wheel drive, and it has never gotten us stuck. I serviced it regularly, and had no problems with the CVT transmission. It got 21 city like clock work, and 28mpg on long trips. Tires lasted 43,000 miles, and front brakes at 60,000.The jeep is a little pokey from a dead start, but wind it up and it hits highway speeds quickly. I am buying a new one since it is the last year for this style. I paid 22,000 for the 2007, and am selling it for 11,000 used! I can live with that."

Great Vehicle

By on Friday, November 16, 2012

Pros: "Price-ride-looks-good driving view"

Cons: "More horsepower,sound proofing,seat padding"

"I have a Sport/2.4L/CVT2 with the 26A package and the Power Value Group. I put a K & N air filter in(replaces the OEM filter)which I am getting 20.5mpg in the city and 27mpg on the highway using the cruise control(no a/c on)and no faster than 65mph. This car is fun to drive and looks great in and outside. The inside is a little plain so I installed a Wood Dash Kit and JEEP sideless seat covers and it looks fantastic. I read some complaints about the power, although it is a little slow from an uphill dead start but on the level and highway I see no problem. If they would tweak the 2.4L up to 190HP I think there would be less complaints. I feel the cabin should be more sound proofed, I undercoated with 6 cans of good undercoating and it helped lower the noise in the cabin. The rear seat needs more padding."

had over 200 cars in70 years from fords to bentley

By on Monday, November 12, 2012

"this jeep tops them all in ride, and quality control. only problems is brakes fade quickly on panic stops."