• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2008 Jeep Patriot

8.3

Based on 385 Ratings for the 2007 - 2014 models.

Excellent vehicle

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "Most value for your money!"

Cons: "None I have found in 5 years!"

"Low maintenance cost, sensitive steering (no wandering), dependable, comfortable and smooth ride - not jerky, interior devices within easy reach of driver. I am spoiled to the CVT transmission with NO jerks at gear changes because it does not change gears...it's belts. This is the most value I've ever had from a vehicle!"

great in the snow dosnt get stuck runs great

By on Saturday, February 01, 2014

Pros: "verry nice and reliable"

Cons: "too many buttons on the stering wheel"

"great in the snow very powerfull dosnt get stuck always starts up runs great and handels just as well its worth every penny you wont be dissapointed"

I would buy another one.

By on Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, good cargo & leg rm."

Cons: "moon roof noisy when open"

"The problems I have had with vehicle have been operator errors or just wear and tear, new brakes, new battery, new tires. As it reaches its 100,000 mark, it will be needing new shocks. It has been very comfortable to drive and ride in. Good space for cargo, long legged individuals and good head room. Easy to park. The 4WD has gotten me home under some really nasty conditions. I live on a hill and logging roads, no pavement. My tall husband liked mine well enough to buy a newer one when his Toyota finally died at 260K miles. It would be nice if it got better milage but 25mpg combined milage is ok."

love my 2008 Patriot

By on Monday, January 20, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "can be difficult reaching into back from front sea"

"Runs nice, roomy, great for road trips."

Stay away!!! Buyer Beware!!

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "Looks nice, enough space to cart my kids"

Cons: "Loud, sluggish and cheaply made."

"I do not see how the average is 8/10. I have spoken to a few Pat owners and like me, they have had nothing but issues with their Jeep. I have had sooo many problems while under warranty and the dealer could not diagnose problem- at 8000 miles my axles went. Chrysler dealer had to get corporate involved and open a "star case", this went on for awhile and I had to drive it while worrying what it was. This was fixed at aprox. 18,000-19,000 miles! I had to have a fuel tank replaced. I had to replace a strut and control arm, I had to replace all four tires because of it, I also had the power steering pump replaced, plus the idler pulley. Now, it's my sway bar links... Caused by the axles again, that now I have to pay part of the cost because dealer won't fully acknowledge. I really do not have much positive things to say, other than it is a nice dark grey color. It is cheaply made and I so wish I did not listen to a family member and wish I listen to my husband and spent the extra monthly payment to get the honda. I bet I would not be going through this. Beware people, I won't be buying anything made by Chrysler again. What a hassle and stressful way to buy a NEW vehicle. I will probably be spending so much money just so it will last the life of the loan. I don't think it's a reliable vehicle- LEMON."

Unhappy with my Vehicle Choice

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "4 wheel drive, looks sleek"

Cons: "too many problems, expensive to fix"

"I purchased my Jeep Patriot in November 2012. The car had one previous owner and had about 67,000 when I got it. I had reviewed the report on the car, prior to purchasing it. The previous owner had kept up on recommended maintenance, and there had been no major issues with it. About three months after purchasing the Patriot, I began noticing a horrible knocking, rattling noise that would occur on the front end ever time I hit a slight bump. I figured the suspension may be bad, which is an unfortunate problem, but is normal wear and tear. Long story short, it's been a little over a year since I got the Patriot and I have put about five thousand into it. I regret ever having purchase it. I had the suspension replaced at about 70,000 miles. I also had a wheel bearing replaced and alignment done at 71,000. I had a CV axle and drive shaft replaced at 73,000. These are all unpleasant repairs. And, yeah, they may be considered "normal wear and tear," but extremely expensive and painful nonetheless. Besides the "normal wear and tear" repairs, my transmission failed at about 74,000. Luckily, I had purchased a power train warrantee from the dealership, which covered all but $100 of the cost to replace the transmission. Otherwise, I would have had to figure out how to come up with around $3,500. Around the same time the transmission went out, the alternator went out. That was a $700 fix which was not covered under warrantee. After having the suspension, a drive shaft, a wheel baring, a CV axle, and an engine shield replaced, the Patriot is still making a horrible scraping, clunking noise every single time I hit a bump. I have put so much money into this vehicle. I have had more problems with it than any other car I have ever owned. I would have sold it long ago, but unfortunately, I owe about $3,000 more on it than it is even worth. So I am pretty much stuck with the thing for a while. I wish I would never have purchased this Jeep Patriot. I greatly regret ever having gotten it."

fix windshield

By on Monday, January 06, 2014

Pros: "much more comfortable than a car"

Cons: "windshield is too shallow"

"Very comfortable ride. Reliable and easy to use. 4wd is a snap. Like radio controls on steering wheel although it's easy to change stations by accident when taking a corner. Only real complaint is windshield. It doesn't go up high enough to see traffic signals. I'm always leaning forward in an awkward manner to see when light turns green."

Love My Jeep, Still, Disappointments.

By on Friday, December 06, 2013

Pros: "Style, safety features, options, comfortable ride"

Cons: "Gas mileage 17-22. (Rated 22-28)"

"Not my 1st Jeep. I chose the LattitudeX, because of style, features, reviews, and I thought good mpg. Drives great, handles as expected and very comfortable for the most part. So far, mountains, rivers banks, washes and sands have been no challenge. The Patriot has impressive safety features that give me peace of mind. The style, inside and out is attractive. The ride is smooth, and powerful enough when needed. All of that being said, there are some disappointments. The biggest is the gas mileage. I never expected the in town, and short ride mileage to be so low. The average is 17mpg. I got better than that from my 6 cyl Cherokee Sport. Now if you want to go so easy and slow you could be arrested, you can get 20. Open road and interstate, the average is 22. (I did not buy the Trail Rated because the top mileage was around 23). I was expecting 20 city and 25-26 highway and maybe better. I drive speed limits and avoid quick starts. I live in an area of SE Alabama, so mostly minor hills. I have considered trading or selling just because of the very poor mileage. Stock Infinities. major gas stations. If the gas mileage was just 3 more mpg, I would be ecstatic! I thought after a few K the mileage would increase, but did not. I am very disappointed with mpg. The fact I love everything else about my Jeep, is the only reason I keep it. Sad. Style wise, the seat is ok, has lumbar handle to adjust, but the head rest is back too far in my opinion. The trim of the center console sides should be padded. It can be uncomfortable on the right knee after a while. Need to make the duel DC receptacle standard on all Jeep products! The AC inverter is nice. The plastic skirt around the base of the driver seat chipped around the left side where the power seat handle is located. That was a surprise. The moon roof allowed water to seep in the roof and fill the roof overhead lamp. They had to remove the liner and fix. Had a sensor go out that caused the Jeep to lose power and stall. All of this in the 1st year. The last 10k has been normal except for a safety belt recall. If you like the style, comfort features, safety features, good ride, and dependable transportation, you will enjoy the Patriot Lattitude. It is a pleasure to drive.If gas milage had been what the specs claim, I would have rated everything 10."

LOVE MY JEEP!!

By on Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Pros: "great price, good quality for the money"

Cons: "NOTHING!!"

"There's only one negative and it's extremely small and minute- I drive a manual so I'm constantly shifting gears and have my forearm resting on the center counsel because of it. There is a 'lip' on the side of the driver's seat that pushes into my arm. Small and extremely minor but on a 8+ hr drive (Which I do a couple of times a year), it gets pretty annoying. Now onto the positives- EVERYTHING! My husband and I bought the strip model because we got a deal through the dealer. We have three dogs that the Patriot would have to tote around so we really didn't want to put any kind of 'money' into a car that would get trampled on by the very large dogs that we have. The seats fold down flush with the trunk space so it's a really big plus factor for dog toting people. I would not suggest this car for someone that plans on having both cars AND kids being toted around in at the same time. Yes the trunk area is large for this type of SUV BUT the vehicle is just not big enough for luggage, kids, and pets all at the same time. The handling is excellent. The stock tires are not good quality though. They were great for about the first 30K miles but once the tread started to get a little low, it went down hill. I now skid all over the place if there is a single snow flake / rain drop on the ground. My suggestion is get better quality tires when you hit 30K miles in order to avoid this issue. The engine is quiet and runs very smooth. It only took about 15K miles to fully break in the transmission (again, I drive a manual) so that's not too bad. All in all, I highly recommend the Jeep Patriot"

Jeep Patriot (our family vehicle)

By on Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Pros: "5* crash, 4x4 for winter, off road for hunting."

"I purchased the 2009 Jeep Patriot because it had a 4 wheel drive option and 5* crash test rating, when my wife was pregnant. Picking the medium size also was good for fuel economy. I take it hunting and use the off road / 4x4 then and my wife uses it in the winter with our kids (5) and (2)."

See if you qualify for