2008 Jeep Patriot

8.2

Based on 430 Ratings for the 2007 - 2015 models.

Love it

By on Saturday, December 10, 2011

Pros: "cost of ownership, features, reliability, look,"

Cons: "sun visors are useless, towing capability."

Taking on a little trail in our Patriot

"My wife and I have owned it for just over a year. No issues at all. We are planning on driving it around 20k-25k miles/year and are certain we can count on it to be reliable. It is quiet, a decent ride (suspension got better in 2011), fine performance for what it is (fuel efficient SUV, not a racecar, we weren't buying a racecar), it fits my wife's musical instrument just fine (a concert grand harp). She even 'off-roaded' it around some construction mess and found it did just fine in mud (before she was told that this model isn't designed to do that). We are thrilled with it and find that it serves all of our needs. The Latitude package was a great package with heated seats. Would like the upgraded sound and 4x4, but the price couldn't be beat in our 4x2. MPG is right on the money with upper twenties on the highway and rarely under 22 MPG in the city. 6 month/8,000 mile oil change intervals can't be beat, and after doing some research, found that the engine had been tested an equivalent of 15.5 million miles and the transmission 5.5 million miles. Just the way a Jeep should be. We plan on driving it for a decade or so . . ."

Taking on a little trail in our Patriot

LOVE MY JEEP!!

By on Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Pros: "great price, good quality for the money"

Cons: "NOTHING!!"

"There's only one negative and it's extremely small and minute- I drive a manual so I'm constantly shifting gears and have my forearm resting on the center counsel because of it. There is a 'lip' on the side of the driver's seat that pushes into my arm. Small and extremely minor but on a 8+ hr drive (Which I do a couple of times a year), it gets pretty annoying. Now onto the positives- EVERYTHING! My husband and I bought the strip model because we got a deal through the dealer. We have three dogs that the Patriot would have to tote around so we really didn't want to put any kind of 'money' into a car that would get trampled on by the very large dogs that we have. The seats fold down flush with the trunk space so it's a really big plus factor for dog toting people. I would not suggest this car for someone that plans on having both cars AND kids being toted around in at the same time. Yes the trunk area is large for this type of SUV BUT the vehicle is just not big enough for luggage, kids, and pets all at the same time. The handling is excellent. The stock tires are not good quality though. They were great for about the first 30K miles but once the tread started to get a little low, it went down hill. I now skid all over the place if there is a single snow flake / rain drop on the ground. My suggestion is get better quality tires when you hit 30K miles in order to avoid this issue. The engine is quiet and runs very smooth. It only took about 15K miles to fully break in the transmission (again, I drive a manual) so that's not too bad. All in all, I highly recommend the Jeep Patriot"

Unhappy with my Vehicle Choice

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "4 wheel drive, looks sleek"

Cons: "too many problems, expensive to fix"

"I purchased my Jeep Patriot in November 2012. The car had one previous owner and had about 67,000 when I got it. I had reviewed the report on the car, prior to purchasing it. The previous owner had kept up on recommended maintenance, and there had been no major issues with it. About three months after purchasing the Patriot, I began noticing a horrible knocking, rattling noise that would occur on the front end ever time I hit a slight bump. I figured the suspension may be bad, which is an unfortunate problem, but is normal wear and tear. Long story short, it's been a little over a year since I got the Patriot and I have put about five thousand into it. I regret ever having purchase it. I had the suspension replaced at about 70,000 miles. I also had a wheel bearing replaced and alignment done at 71,000. I had a CV axle and drive shaft replaced at 73,000. These are all unpleasant repairs. And, yeah, they may be considered "normal wear and tear," but extremely expensive and painful nonetheless. Besides the "normal wear and tear" repairs, my transmission failed at about 74,000. Luckily, I had purchased a power train warrantee from the dealership, which covered all but $100 of the cost to replace the transmission. Otherwise, I would have had to figure out how to come up with around $3,500. Around the same time the transmission went out, the alternator went out. That was a $700 fix which was not covered under warrantee. After having the suspension, a drive shaft, a wheel baring, a CV axle, and an engine shield replaced, the Patriot is still making a horrible scraping, clunking noise every single time I hit a bump. I have put so much money into this vehicle. I have had more problems with it than any other car I have ever owned. I would have sold it long ago, but unfortunately, I owe about $3,000 more on it than it is even worth. So I am pretty much stuck with the thing for a while. I wish I would never have purchased this Jeep Patriot. I greatly regret ever having gotten it."

One of the best vehicles I've owned

By on Saturday, July 14, 2012

Pros: "sporty, great handling, and great gas mileage"

Cons: "needs a little more room in the back for luggage"

"My wife and I bought our patriot new in 2011 and had nothing but good things from it. we have been on several road trips, to the mountains and the beach and not a single problem so far it now has 18450 miles on it and other than rountine oil changes and putting gas in it no other issues at this time. great gas mileage almost 29mpg on the highway loaded with all our luggage."

Stop hating! This is a practical car for the $

By on Friday, June 15, 2012

Pros: "great price, off road capable, fuel efficient"

Cons: "slightly underpowered"

"I recently purchased a 2012 Jeep Patriot "Upgraded" Sport 4x4. I am a teacher who wanted something that is fuel efficient, but also off road capable. After driving this car for a week, I really enjoy it. Sure, it doesn't have the power of the larger (significantly more expensive models), but it gets up and goes just fine for me. The engine is a bit noisy in the lower gears but once you're up to speed it's not noticeable. I also really enjoy the "Auto-Stick" feature and can forsee it being helpful in tougher weather. I really like the exterior of this vehicle. I was told it was designed to look like the old Cherokees and it does. To me, it looks MUCH more rugged than the Ford Escape, Honda CRV etc... The interior is basic, but clean. Myself, and others who have ridden in it, actually prefer it over that of the Wrangler. My uncle rented a Rubicon on a business trip and was really dissatisfied with the interior and overall space. The storage space is also great! The trunk is large, and the back seat folds down to provide even more room. The sound system sounds really nice, and the controls for everything are simple to operate. I've seen several reviews really knock the Patriot's off road ablities. I own a cabin in Vermont that is only accesible by an uphill off road trail in the woods. In four wheel drive, the Jeep was able to go over rocks, and through mud and water with relative ease. The power lacked a tad, but it didn't stop me. Overall, this is a really great car for the money. It all comes down to what you want to spend, and being a first time teacher out of college, this Jeep is perfect for me."

The 5 Speed 4x4 is sweet

By on Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Pros: "price, mileage, snow, handles at speed"

Cons: "interior, engine control"

"With a manual transmission (or shifting) a driver can get what there is out of the throttle program. With a little ramp up the little box just flys :) The stability electronic work right up to edge of control. Low end fit and finish is the price I gladly paid for a pretty versatile vehicle that loves snow!"

Great Crossover for the price

By on Monday, February 13, 2012

Pros: "Great Price, Great on Gas, Great in Snow"

Cons: "Manual transmission whines"

"I was looking for a small SUV that was inexpensive, good on gas, good in the snow, had a lot of storage space and is reliable. I got exactly what I was looking for. This truck is great, very reliable, I've put 25,000 miles on it in 5 months, it is everything I need and more. For having 120,000 miles this car is immaculate and runs like new. It's good for towing small items and great in the snow too! If your looking for an inexpensive SUV that is great on gas, I suggest you check out the Patriot."

I LOVE this vehicle!

By on Friday, November 11, 2011

Pros: "road handling, comfort, heats/cools quickly, sound"

Cons: "small gas tank"

"It is very comfortable for long drives. I have the sound package with 6 disc mp3. Awesome sound. Great road handling. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. It is my daily driver. Heats up fast, have to turn it down after a few minutes. Heated seats are great. Cools down just as fast too. Great for those 100 degree days even though the vehicle is black. 4WD is nice in the winter time. Front folding passenger seat allows for long objects (lumber). I have only one gripe...the gas tank is too small. For long vacation trips, I have to stop every 200 miles or so...I like doing 4 hours stretches....not that big of a deal."

surprisingly good -

By on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pros: "good mileage good space inside"

Cons: "a bit boomy on the highway, needs better sound ins"

"17000 in one year. No problems. I'll repeat - no problems. 30 MPG, not the 29 MPG that is posted. 5-speed is better than the CVT auto. We have 2 wheel drive and plan to buy a 2nd Patriot with 4WD. Bit boomy on fwy."

Great car for the price

By on Saturday, June 26, 2010

"I've had my 2009 Jeep Patriot for almost 1 year now, and have put 14,000 miles on it. I average 23mph in the city which I consider great for the size of the vehicle. The interior provides a great amount of room to carry around people or whatever you're moving around. A lot of the reviews say that the interior is cheap, which i disagree with. It's not the interior you find on a Mercedes-Benz, but people have to realize that this is a 20,000 dollar car. That being said, I believe the interior to be great. The 4x4 system is amazing. Drove through a storm of close to 20 inches of unplowed roads last winter with out a single problem. Altogether, a great car, definitely recommend it to others."

love my jeep

By on Friday, May 21, 2010

"I have had my patriot for 3 years and i love it. Good fuel economy and roomy cargo space; great for long road trips. I drove to Alaska and back and it was perfect for gravel and unpaved roads and lots of luggage. Versatility of a bigger SUV without the exhorbitant fuel costs. Very good bargain overall"

Fits my needs perfectly

By on Friday, February 20, 2009

"I wanted a vehicle that got good mileage, could handle heavy snow conditions, and that I could sleep in. I get 30MPG on the highway even with the 4wd version when I drive conservatively. I don't have any problem getting up my extremely steep hill into my neighborhood in the Sierras even when it has dumped snow all day. And most importantly, I have spent probably 15 nights already in the back of the Patriot on an inflatable mattress. That's a hotel savings of at least $750 right there, not to mention the convenience of sleeping wherever and whenever I need to. I'm very happy with the Patriot. The only thing I would consider to replace this car right now would probably be the Honda Fit, and if they made a hybrid, I would even consider making that move. I really like the way the Patriot looks too, it has the Jeep signature look that is really nice. It's like I bought 30k worth of prestige for 17k."

most bang for the buck

By on Sunday, March 02, 2008

"I've owned a wrangler, a grand cherokee a liberty a Lexus GS430 AWD, and another wrangler ( 2" lift and 33" tires) in that order. because i needed a car that clients didnt have to climb into I recently traded in the wrangler for this car (limited patriot) and let me tell you this jeep is by far the best one i've ever owned. From the great gas mileage to the rockin sound system. Just had a crazy snow storm and this Jeep OUT PERFORMED any Jeep i've ever owned. The hill holding 4x4 feat. was unbelievable could not be happier. This vehicle came loaded as can be, two-toned leather seats, tow hook, free sat for a year, unreal sound system, heated seats, i mean this is a high-line car for a compact price. Smaller tank compared to the 20 gallon talk of the Wrangler but still dont have to fill up as often and when i do, and it isnt crushing my pocket book when i do. Def a sound, sensible buy for anyone looking for all the benifits of a wrangler (great off road capabilities, good in snow, reliable as can be) with a "grown up" twist (practicle, great on gas, tons of room and all the bells and whistles of a luxury car)."

I'm having more fun with my commute to work!

By on Friday, August 24, 2007

"Drives great, rides comfortable. I have not found anything I dislike about this vehicle. Long trip was relaxing."

buy one!!!!

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2007

"This is a great vehicle! If you love the cherokee this is for you. Much better gas mileage and look though. I suggest the upgrade on the wheel package. completes the cool style. The sound system is of very high quality. Trade in value on this jeep will be very good according to reviews. Buy It!!!!!!"

Most reliable car owned, great control with 5-spd

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, fun to drive, > 30 MPG, low maint!"

Cons: "Stiff ride"

"Reliable, economical (>30 mpg highway), great handling, convenient hauler due to box like interior, just great basic Jeep. I have UNLIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY from Chrysler but never had a problem with Trans/Engine. I am purchasing 2014 Patriot, testimony to my description."

Great Value

By on Sunday, March 10, 2013

Pros: "Acceleration, good gas mileage, reliable"

Cons: "Noisy when shifting"

"Patriot has great pick up. Gas mileage is good. Lots of cargo space. Front seat folds flat going forward. Ride is comfortable. The CVT is smooth shifting but a little noisy. I have no complaints."

perfect for me!

By on Friday, June 15, 2012

Pros: "FUN, spacious, good on gas for size,"

Cons: "center console low, trans fluid-unable to check"

clear side veiw picture! (its a pretty black with matallics in it, but thats hard to capture on a picture.

"This vehicle is wonderful! I enjoy everything about it that I have seen. If I had a complaint, it would be that the stereo (I have the BASE stereo) is not as good as my last vehicle (but in all fairness, my '04 ford ranger had a pioneer multi disk changer system, so i shouldnt be surprised LOL) I like how the seat goes up and down so that i can be at the right height. I am a female 5' 4'' and love the way it fits me, and my boyfriend who is 6' likes it as well because he can change the seating to just what fits him. The mirror vision is THE BEST I HAVE EVER SEEN. I can see everything. The back seats and passenger seat fold flat! We have 2 large breed dogs, and they love the room they get in the back. I also like how the tire is underneath the back 'floor' and NOT on the outside of the hatch. I have the smaller 4cyl. 2.0 and the pickup isn't amazing (again im comparing to my ranger, which was a v6 4.0, again not fair LOL) GAS MILEAGE AWESOME!!!"

Seems great so far

By on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pros: "better gas mileage, easy to handle"

Cons: "slow pick-up"

"Ive only had the car for 6 months and so far it does seem to be good. It does a great job traveling on the road I live on especially in the winter. The only thing I'm not fond of is the sluggish transmission and slow pick up. But it does good on gas and gets where I need it to go. I also like the stability control, traction control, and 4wd combination."

very good vehicle for the price

By on Friday, January 06, 2012

Pros: "great price, and drives well"

"this has been one of my favorite cars. good and reliable, great on gas and fits 5 people with no problem. in the 3yrs i have had this jeep i have had no problems with in. also good in the snow. and the service people are great. will buy another jeep without hesitation"

Excellent for cargo/ kids/ pets

By on Friday, December 30, 2011

Pros: "gas mileage, cargo space, pleasant to drive"

Cons: "head rests not adjustable"

"I bought this car because I needed a car to transport my dogs to and from the lake, fishing, hiking, vacations, etc. I can fit 3 full size labs in the back, plus small luggage. It drives very easy - not at all truck-y like some SUVs. Very smooth like a car. Plus it's really nice looking. I catch myself checking out cars in parking lots and thinking, "wow, that's a nice looking car!" then when I get closer I see it's a Patriot like mine. Excellent gas mileage for the size. I feel safe in it, and it's less expensive than some comparable vehicles."

Perfect mom car

By on Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pros: "reliable, minimal upkeep, love my heated seats!!"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"this car is incomparable in harsh weather, snow, sleet, whatever. I feel safe driving it anywhere with kids. It has all the capacity of a roomy suv as the seats fold easily, but minus the hassels of parking a large gas guzzler. Only minus is the Gas mileage is less than what I'd like it to be, otherwise, I LOVE my Jeep!!"

Great!

By on Sunday, December 04, 2011

Pros: "Great MPG, Latitude features turn it into a luxury"

Cons: "No heated back seats"

"It is a perfect settle for someone like me wanting the Grand Cherokee. You sacrifice a few luxury features, but they are put in differently with the Latitude X. Love this car!!!"

Great Value, Great Jeep!

By on Thursday, May 19, 2011

"This is a great compromise Jeep... with off-road capabilities, on-road comfort, top-class gas mileage, and real-world utility! First, it LOOKS like a Jeep is supposed to. Remember the old Cherokee? This is a slightly smaller and updated version. The interior is spartan, but with some nice touches on the Latitude line (leather wrap, chrome, etc) it is more than acceptable. A year of free SiriusXM is nice too! Wrangler people have gone on reluctant ride-alongs and have blurted "This is NICE!" and "I need one!" The Patriot's default 4x4 system is essentially an AWD system. You can watch Jeep's videos for an explanation how this works. ESP is a nice safety blanket as well. There is also a Low 4WD switch that turns this urban warrior into an off-road beast. Towing capacity is a bit weak for any category (especially for an SUV), so if hauling a large boat or trailer behind you is a necessity, this won't be your ride. I've used an Xcargo roof box with great results, however. The Patriot sits up high and gives you a nice sense of comfort and security. After a few months and 6000 miles of driving, I'm averaging 24 mpg. All-in-all a great value that should be heavily considered if you are in the market for a smaller SUV."

Great Vehicle

By on Tuesday, May 03, 2011

"When my wife and I were looking for vehicles, we needed a rugged vehicle capable of light towing, but with enough room for the occasional passenger or child. Even though the 2010 Jeep Patriot was the only vehicle that fit our needs and budget, we could not be happier with our purchase. The 2010 Jeep Patriot is very durable and, when the rear seats are folded down, has more storage room than you would think from looking at it from the outside. We have used our patriot to move everything from boxes of dishes to mulch and even tall filing cabinets. The only complaints we have (even though it isn't really a complaint, more of an observation) is that the seats are not luxuriously comfortable and there could be a little more room for the back seat. That being said, when we bought the 2010 Jeep Patriot, we knew it was not a luxury vehicle and we only have the occasional passenger for the back seats. My wife and I agree that, now that we own a Jeep, we never want to go back to anything else. The 2010 Jeep Patriot is a very well-designed vehicle and my wife and I are very pleased with our purchase."