2008 Jeep Patriot

8.2

Based on 430 Ratings for the 2007 - 2015 models.

Love it

By on Saturday, December 10, 2011

Pros: "cost of ownership, features, reliability, look,"

Cons: "sun visors are useless, towing capability."

Taking on a little trail in our Patriot

"My wife and I have owned it for just over a year. No issues at all. We are planning on driving it around 20k-25k miles/year and are certain we can count on it to be reliable. It is quiet, a decent ride (suspension got better in 2011), fine performance for what it is (fuel efficient SUV, not a racecar, we weren't buying a racecar), it fits my wife's musical instrument just fine (a concert grand harp). She even 'off-roaded' it around some construction mess and found it did just fine in mud (before she was told that this model isn't designed to do that). We are thrilled with it and find that it serves all of our needs. The Latitude package was a great package with heated seats. Would like the upgraded sound and 4x4, but the price couldn't be beat in our 4x2. MPG is right on the money with upper twenties on the highway and rarely under 22 MPG in the city. 6 month/8,000 mile oil change intervals can't be beat, and after doing some research, found that the engine had been tested an equivalent of 15.5 million miles and the transmission 5.5 million miles. Just the way a Jeep should be. We plan on driving it for a decade or so . . ."

Taking on a little trail in our Patriot

LOVE MY JEEP!!

By on Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Pros: "great price, good quality for the money"

Cons: "NOTHING!!"

"There's only one negative and it's extremely small and minute- I drive a manual so I'm constantly shifting gears and have my forearm resting on the center counsel because of it. There is a 'lip' on the side of the driver's seat that pushes into my arm. Small and extremely minor but on a 8+ hr drive (Which I do a couple of times a year), it gets pretty annoying. Now onto the positives- EVERYTHING! My husband and I bought the strip model because we got a deal through the dealer. We have three dogs that the Patriot would have to tote around so we really didn't want to put any kind of 'money' into a car that would get trampled on by the very large dogs that we have. The seats fold down flush with the trunk space so it's a really big plus factor for dog toting people. I would not suggest this car for someone that plans on having both cars AND kids being toted around in at the same time. Yes the trunk area is large for this type of SUV BUT the vehicle is just not big enough for luggage, kids, and pets all at the same time. The handling is excellent. The stock tires are not good quality though. They were great for about the first 30K miles but once the tread started to get a little low, it went down hill. I now skid all over the place if there is a single snow flake / rain drop on the ground. My suggestion is get better quality tires when you hit 30K miles in order to avoid this issue. The engine is quiet and runs very smooth. It only took about 15K miles to fully break in the transmission (again, I drive a manual) so that's not too bad. All in all, I highly recommend the Jeep Patriot"

Unhappy with my Vehicle Choice

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "4 wheel drive, looks sleek"

Cons: "too many problems, expensive to fix"

"I purchased my Jeep Patriot in November 2012. The car had one previous owner and had about 67,000 when I got it. I had reviewed the report on the car, prior to purchasing it. The previous owner had kept up on recommended maintenance, and there had been no major issues with it. About three months after purchasing the Patriot, I began noticing a horrible knocking, rattling noise that would occur on the front end ever time I hit a slight bump. I figured the suspension may be bad, which is an unfortunate problem, but is normal wear and tear. Long story short, it's been a little over a year since I got the Patriot and I have put about five thousand into it. I regret ever having purchase it. I had the suspension replaced at about 70,000 miles. I also had a wheel bearing replaced and alignment done at 71,000. I had a CV axle and drive shaft replaced at 73,000. These are all unpleasant repairs. And, yeah, they may be considered "normal wear and tear," but extremely expensive and painful nonetheless. Besides the "normal wear and tear" repairs, my transmission failed at about 74,000. Luckily, I had purchased a power train warrantee from the dealership, which covered all but $100 of the cost to replace the transmission. Otherwise, I would have had to figure out how to come up with around $3,500. Around the same time the transmission went out, the alternator went out. That was a $700 fix which was not covered under warrantee. After having the suspension, a drive shaft, a wheel baring, a CV axle, and an engine shield replaced, the Patriot is still making a horrible scraping, clunking noise every single time I hit a bump. I have put so much money into this vehicle. I have had more problems with it than any other car I have ever owned. I would have sold it long ago, but unfortunately, I owe about $3,000 more on it than it is even worth. So I am pretty much stuck with the thing for a while. I wish I would never have purchased this Jeep Patriot. I greatly regret ever having gotten it."

One of the best vehicles I've owned

By on Saturday, July 14, 2012

Pros: "sporty, great handling, and great gas mileage"

Cons: "needs a little more room in the back for luggage"

"My wife and I bought our patriot new in 2011 and had nothing but good things from it. we have been on several road trips, to the mountains and the beach and not a single problem so far it now has 18450 miles on it and other than rountine oil changes and putting gas in it no other issues at this time. great gas mileage almost 29mpg on the highway loaded with all our luggage."

Stop hating! This is a practical car for the $

By on Friday, June 15, 2012

Pros: "great price, off road capable, fuel efficient"

Cons: "slightly underpowered"

"I recently purchased a 2012 Jeep Patriot "Upgraded" Sport 4x4. I am a teacher who wanted something that is fuel efficient, but also off road capable. After driving this car for a week, I really enjoy it. Sure, it doesn't have the power of the larger (significantly more expensive models), but it gets up and goes just fine for me. The engine is a bit noisy in the lower gears but once you're up to speed it's not noticeable. I also really enjoy the "Auto-Stick" feature and can forsee it being helpful in tougher weather. I really like the exterior of this vehicle. I was told it was designed to look like the old Cherokees and it does. To me, it looks MUCH more rugged than the Ford Escape, Honda CRV etc... The interior is basic, but clean. Myself, and others who have ridden in it, actually prefer it over that of the Wrangler. My uncle rented a Rubicon on a business trip and was really dissatisfied with the interior and overall space. The storage space is also great! The trunk is large, and the back seat folds down to provide even more room. The sound system sounds really nice, and the controls for everything are simple to operate. I've seen several reviews really knock the Patriot's off road ablities. I own a cabin in Vermont that is only accesible by an uphill off road trail in the woods. In four wheel drive, the Jeep was able to go over rocks, and through mud and water with relative ease. The power lacked a tad, but it didn't stop me. Overall, this is a really great car for the money. It all comes down to what you want to spend, and being a first time teacher out of college, this Jeep is perfect for me."