2009 Jeep Liberty

8.2

Based on 233 Ratings for the 2008 - 2012 models.

Love my 3 Jeeps

By on Thursday, December 05, 2013

Pros: "Off road capabilities, towing capabilities"

Cons: "Poor on road manners"

WI snow

"Now I come from a Jeep family. I have a 99 Cherokee Sport(bought in 00') an 08' Jeep Liberty Limited and a 10' Jeep Liberty Sport. I had two Jeeps over the years prior to these three; a CJ5 and an 88' Wrangler Sahara. My dad bought an 86' Cherokee new and just sold it last year, he has a 98' GC Limited and an 05' GC Limited. You can see I come from a Jeep family and grew up with them. As long as you maintain them properly you never have issues with them and they are the most reliable vehicles around(compared to others with non-Jeep vehicles and issues they have encountered). My 99 Cherokee I bought in 00' and now with 250,000 miles has never let me down; it has never broke down and has gotten me through one to one and a half feet of snow plenty of times over the years. It tows good but lacks many on-road manners however what do you expect from a 14 year old vehicle that can tow 5,000 pounds and is designed/built like a tank; the jeep is unstoppable off road. My 08' Liberty Limited and 10' Liberty Sport have all my old Cherokee is missing; they have great on road manners, can still tow 5,000 pounds, and are good off road. I would like to add that they are not nearly as capable off road as my 99' Cherokee though. But I am okay with that because you need to give a little to get a little; the Liberty has IFS in the front and the 99 Cherokee has a live axle in the front. Overall I have been happy with all five Jeeps I have owned over the last 19 years(3 of which I still have). If you want a vehicle that drives nice, is dependable(as long as maintained) and will never let you down no matter what mother nature throws at you then get a Jeep. Keep in mind they are not as comfy as a car and do not have good gas mileage but what can you expect from a vehicle that can tow 5,000 pounds and get you through anything."

WI snow

my 4th jeep and loved them all

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "Strong, safe, fun, durable, American made (sort of"

Cons: "Heater is 'iffy' in cold country"

"Jeeps are durable and easy on maintenance. Either you love 'em or hate 'em. They have their quirks...mostly cabin noise, top heavy, not great gas mileage, no luxury ride. But dang! My 2008 Liberty is 2wd six speed stick with no options except basic standard ones, radio, a/c, power windows and locks. It goes anywhere and looks good doing it. Wouldn't recommend towing a heavy trailer, light towing is good. Been off road gold prospecting and didn't think twice about it. Rides high and safe/solid and I can wash it and take it to the golf course. Expect a life span of 300,000 miles with reasonable care. May need a new clutch at 150,000 miles. Looks brand new and it's 5 years old so no rust or body problems, Florida salt air and off road about 15% of it's life so far. Step daughter liked mine and bought three already (Wrangler type) and wife just bought a Grand Cherokee. Two friends bought Libertys after seeing mine."

Third Liberty - Still a Fan

By on Thursday, October 31, 2013

Pros: "4x4, appearance, comfort"

Cons: "heavy"

"This is the 3rd Liberty I've owned - 2012 4x4 Latitude with leather and 16k miles.- my son is still driving my 07 with 130k miles. Wasn't sure about the new body style when it first came out but now I'm a fan. It is larger inside and the seats with lumbar fit perfectly for my bad back - long trips no problem. It handles great in the snow and has decent acceleration on the highway. One thing I really notice is the weight - with a full tank it drives very "heavy". I am a life long Jeep fan and have really enjoyed the Liberty. Here's hoping for 100k+ in this one! I would highly recommend this Jeep especially if you live in snow country."

The absolute worst piece of junk I have ever owned

By on Sunday, October 06, 2013

Reason: poor quality

Pros: "when the 4 wheel drive works. its good"

Cons: "TOO MANY to List"

"Another Poor Quality, Over priced junk. I have never seen a vehicle plummet in value as fast as this. I think that in a few years Damler Chrysler will be writing checks to cover a host of problems from this vehicle. Worst gas milage, Plastic everything, 4 wheel drive breaks down and on top of all that they quit making them. That was the smartest thing that they could do. Worst mistake I ever made. I wouldn't purchase anything made by this company."

I love my Jeep

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

"About the only thing I don't care about is the gas mileage, I don't feel it get's what I expect although I have had people tell me that it's good. I love the style of the Jeep and color, it handles well and the 4 wheel drive is the best in the snow and sandy areas."

Can't wait to get rid of my 2011 Jeep Liberty

By on Friday, September 27, 2013

"Can't wait to get rid of my 2011 Jeep Liberty ! In the first year I had it in the shop 3 times, the second year another 3 times. Went to get into my Jeep after work (didn't even have it for a year) one day and it would not start. Had to have it towed to a dealer who told me it put itself into "antitheft" mode . Sometimes I have heat - sometimes I don't, I put the heat on and it blows air conditioning. Then if I make a stop and get back in, maybe it will blow heat. The windshield wipers come on whenever they want and shut off whenever they want. I do not touch the control, they do it all by themselves. I can literally watch the gas gauge go down. I do love the style and knew it wouldn't be so great on gas, but did not expect so much to be wrong with this Jeep. After buying a new car I do not expect to be sitting in a dealership all the time getting it fixed. Had it 2 years and would never recommend a Jeep to anyone (as much as I love the way they look)"

Nice Jeep

By on Saturday, August 31, 2013

Pros: "price, features, looks and value"

Cons: "lack of 5th gear- gas mileage"

"I had a 2008 compass and I love this Jeep. It comfortable, powerful and has the style of the old Cherokees! I wish it had a 5th gear for economy but can't be happier. It came (latitude) with many features for 26K. I have wheeled, played in the snow and had to climb to customers homes. I love it-bad is only issue is the gas mileage. Go get one if you want room, american built (Grand Cherokee is too mexican assembled for me plus they have too many issues."

Very practical vehicle.

By on Saturday, August 31, 2013

"Rear-wheel drive was important to us plus being up off the road for better visibility. No more front wheel drive vehicles for us. This is our forth new jeep in a row. All of them have been trouble free and very dependable for my wife and for me so we bought Jeep again. The 4X4 drive system is a requirement where we live in Vermont and it is very capable all season vehicle. It has a comfortable ride with great handling characteristics making it a pleasure to go anywhere regardless of weather conditions."

Keeping my '99 Cherokee Sport but.....

By on Saturday, August 10, 2013

Pros: "Works hard, plays harder. Front passenger comfort."

Cons: "Rear leg room. Driver blind spot;front passenger"

"My 2011 Liberty steals the show whether I'm in a business suit, church suit, sweat suit, or mud. Inside, out, top and bottom, after six months, this brand and model delivers what it promised."

OVER ALL GREAT TRUCK

By on Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Pros: "4X4 NEVER GOT STUCK"

Cons: "WINSHIELD WASHER ON HOOD BREAK 1 EVERY YEAR"

"ENGINE NOISE IN SIDE A LITTLE LOUD/EMERGENCY BREAK(DRUM STYLE)HARD TO REMOVE WHEN REMOVING REAR ROTORS"

Cons: "none!"

"I bought this car to replace my older one, and I absolutely love this car! It has everything I wanted and more! And not to mention the color selection Jeep has for the Liberties is amazing!"

Love love love this car

By on Friday, June 28, 2013

Pros: "Leather, smooth drive,low maintence, safety"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"I bought this Jeep last summer as a transition from a small car to a good working vehicle. I chose the Jeep liberty because of its price vs. value. I feel like I have definitely gotten my money's worth out of my Jeep. Literally the only downfall is gas mileage. I get about 16 city/21 highway. Which still isn't bad, just not was I was used to owning a small car. The Bluetooth is a great feature, the leather goes through the wear of kids, dogs and daily driving of at least 50 miles. I have owned it for a year and it still looks and drives brand new. Considering most SUV's sell for 40 grand and up. This is a great car for the price."

Decent Day to Day

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "V6 Trail Rated Exterior 4wd Nice ride Hidden cargo"

Cons: "Interior Gas mileage"

"I have owed all makes and models of Jeeps. I have hated the previous Liberty's and would have never thought of owning one. I am a fan of the old Cherokee unibodies and have had several of them. My last one was a 2001 (moment of silence...) I have been impressed with the Liberty changes and the overal look is similar to the Cherokee of old. Still a little off but I do enjoy the space and offload capability. The 3.7L motor is not as impressive as the 3.6 Pentastar on paper but I have no complaints. The Jeep has a lot of get up and go and has been enough to tow anything I have needed to. I have the base sport edition and the interior is not the best when it comes to other makes in its class. The Equinox has an amazing interior and better overall dash. I prefer the exterior to any in its class and the Motor is more powerful. All in all a decent vehicle to own."

Solid, wish I would have bought a Jeep years ago.

By on Friday, May 31, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, comfortable, safe, solid vehicle."

Cons: "MPG in city, but pros outweigh cons."

"Lots of torque, pulls my trailer without any effort. The ride feels like a much bigger vehicle. Makes me feel safe when my grandchildren are in the car. Living in Florida, rain storms are frequent and I actually welcome them asI have never felt so safe in any other vehicle. The tires are just planted to the ground, no hydro planning or worries about flooding out. Easy to park and I love the big square windows. Visibility is great and all the windows roll all of the way down. The back is easily accessible for our dog and we easily transport our bikes on outings. Hard to believe they won't be making the Liberty anymore, however I believe that the longevity of this vehicle will easily surpass my expectations. If you haven't guessed by know, I love my Jeep!"

I love my Jeep Liberty

By on Saturday, May 18, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable and reliable"

Cons: "The cup holders are too big"

"I purchased a 2012 Jeep Liberty 4x4 with the Lattitude package 9 months ago. So far it's been a very good suv. The four wheel drive is excellent. I've gone through some really deep snow with ease. I've also been able to tow a fairly large trailer quite easily. I have the leather interior and it's very comfortable. I haven't had any issues at all. I've perfprmed 2 oil changes and rotated my tires once. The only thing I can even think to complain about is the cup holders are too big for most drinks. Overall I would buy another Jeep in a heartbeat."

I like it a lot, but don't love it.

By on Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, exterior look, feels good driving it"

Cons: "back-seat comfort, MPG"

"First, I want to it to be clear that I got an excellent deal on my white Liberty Latitude Edition. I am happy with it, and proud to drive it. BUT, I highly regret not spending a bit more to get the 4x4 version. If you're considering the Liberty, either get the 4x4 version or get a different vehicle entirely. What's the point of getting a heavy SUV that only gets about 16mpg in the city if you aren't going to have the benefit of getting to drive it in mud and snow when you need/want to? Sure, with the decent ground clearance I can drive in heavy rain and deep water just fine in my RWD Latitude, but you won't see me driving around in heavy snow (like I occasionally need to where I live). I like its overall exterior look. I'm a fan of the military-style Jeep look, and I like the look of the chrome accents and wheels (standard with the Latitude) on the white paint. It's a classy-looking SUV that I'm proud to drive, but like I said, I'm kicking myself for not getting the more capable 4X4 version. The interior is acceptable but nothing to brag about. It's straightforward. Black leather seats, the front two are heated. Retractable sun roof is pretty cool. Boring radio/CD interface. I'm not a showy person, so I was fine with the modesty of the interior. Back-seat ride is pretty bumpy, and there are no air vents for back-seat passengers. However, they do fold completely flat and leave you with quite a bit of room to haul stuff inside. I haven't towed anything with my Liberty yet, but I plan to. From the research I've done, it shouldn't be a problem pulling modestly heavy trailers. The Tow/Haul button comes standard and keeps you in lower gears longer to pull the extra weight. Last but not least, critics say the Liberty motor is dated and "behind the times" because its big V6 isn't putting out enough horsepower compared to the competition. What they usually fail to mention is the reliability that comes with buying a vehicle with an engine that has been in production for several years. You know what you're getting with this motor. (And while on the topic of reliability, being a Jeep means there's quality Mopar products scattered throughout the vehicle.)"

Daily mileage awful

By on Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "bad day to day mileage"

"It's a shame that a US car shows 10mpg in day to day city driving. On the parkway it does a respectable 21mpg. I've used this to tow a medium sized, 4000lb RV trailer, and it did very well."

Love love love my Liberty!

By on Monday, March 25, 2013

"This is the 4th Jeep I've owned. They are great vehicles, reliable, dependable and fun to drive. Lots of zip and they handle well. Also, they are great in the snow. I have run all of my Jeeps to well over 100K miles, a couple to over 200K. They required very little repairs, only the obvious wear items like brakes, exhaust, tires and later on suspension parts but again, that was wear-items. I will probably always drive Jeeps. Great car for a good price."

Solid vehicle, poor mileage

By on Sunday, March 03, 2013

Pros: "for new 4x4 under $25,000 can't beat"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"Owned since new, good power, handles right for type of vehicle, wish gas mileage was better, sky slider has minor leaks during heavy rains (about 3 times), overall good value for the price, next vehicle will be Sahara, more money but resale is better"

Excellent 4WD , good value overall... it's a Jeep!

By on Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Pros: "It's a Jeep!! A good value with a long time name."

Cons: "Poor gas mileage especially about town is all."

"Very good value for money spent excellent (real!) 4WD, off road seems superior to others in class and a perfect size. Engine runs purrfect but not good gas mileage by todays stasndards. This is my wifes Jeep and she loves it! Plenty of room for her 3 dogs and despite the fuel cost it really does the job for her, she loves it. Of course with us if it says "Jeep" it rules anyway and it's tough!! It's a shame Jeep has decided to drop it...I think it'll be back... let's watch."

Jeeps for life

By on Monday, November 19, 2012

Pros: "reliable, great performance, love the high center"

Cons: "interior"

"The Jeep Liberty is the first car I have ever owned and let me tell you I am hooked on Jeeps. GET THIS CAR"

LOVE my Jeep!

By on Wednesday, November 07, 2012

"I am 100% satisfied with my Jeep. I was looking for an affordable, larger SUV at a good price. I got a great deal on the upgraded latitude package and am SO satisfied with it. The MPG is not the greatest, I usually average 19-23 but you are driving a 4WD SUV! I didn't have to pay $40,000 for a hybrid etc etc that gets 30mpg I paid half that with a little less mileage. In the end it is a MUCH better deal and you can't surpass the quality of Jeep for this price!!"