2008 Jeep Liberty

8.2

Based on 265 Ratings for the 2008 - 2012 models.

Happy owner

By on Friday, September 04, 2009

"The vehicle I own is a 2008 6 speed manual 2 WD with some upgrades: cruise, air, CD, temp display, window tint. I love driving the vehicle and have had no problems. I've put over 7,000 miles on it since purchasing it in April. The 3.7 L seemed a little underpowered at first, but I was trying to drive in 5th / 6th gear too much and keeping RPMs too low. It has plenty of passing power in 4th. We drove from GA to MN & back last month and the vehicle was very comfortable, surprisingly quiet for a Jeep. I put an aftermarket hitch on it and can tow about 3,500 lbs. I've used it to haul mulch and furniture around town. Again, staying in 4th it has plenty of power. We bought Hidden Hitch and found it easy to install, but it takes two people to get it bolted in place. Now for a few complaints The pushbutton for opening the rear window falls out occasionally. Also, the rear wiper does not sit tightly on the glass. To be fair, I've not taken it to a dealer to have either problem fixed. Gas mileage is not great. I haven't done the math for the MN trip, but around town I've been getting about 17.5 MPG. But we bought this for light towing and camping, not long trips. We took a vintage canoe to MN and ultimately could not use the roof racks. There is only a 3 1/2 foot span front to back and the rack sits well back of the vehicle midline. That is no good for a 17 foot canoe. Most other rack loads - kayaks, skiis, clamshells - should be fine. All in all I'm a happy owner. I wanted an SUV like vehicle with some towing capacity at an economical price - more than a small pickup but less than a Ford Exploder or similar. The Liberty was very reasonably priced and is performing as expected."

won't buy another one

By on Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"I have had my Jeep Liberty for 10 months , twice now it has left me stranded . Electical problems , radio has been replaced, side panels on driver & passenger side has been replaced , plastic on inside door handle replaced due chipping and more . I also have the sky slider too noisy it is nice but again noisy . Chrysler customer service stinks . NEVER EVER again . I do like the style but this has been an experience I don't want again . :("

Take a LONG test drive!!!

By on Sunday, July 19, 2009

"Bought my Liberty in May/08; shortly found a problem with drivetrain. There is a vibration caused by it not shifting from overdrive as you slow down. Really bad if you drive in speed zones like 35-45 mph. Filed lemon complaint and lost because Chrysler's position was operating the way it was designed to. Suggested I use the Tow/Haul button to avoid the problem. Last Chrysler purchase for me."

Lots of trouble

By on Thursday, June 25, 2009

"I wanted this vehicle so bad and in the first two weeks I had it in the shop twice mostly technical computer stuff but wouldn't buy another one :("

Pretty Good, A Few Flaws

By on Tuesday, June 02, 2009

"We've had a 4x4 Limited for a year now, and it's been pretty good. We got the Jeep as a tow car for our RV, because we like Jeeps and with the electronic transfer case disengage -- we can tow unlimited miles with a push of the button. So many other vehicles require rotating the transmission every couple hundred miles. The 4x4 has been great. The seats are fantastic. MyGig is great with navigation. It's easy to drive. There are some issues. First, the shifting from 3rd to 4th is very poor. It doesn't hold in 3rd hear long enough, so there is a significant loss of power because the RPM drops very low with premature shifting to 4th gear - very disappointing. Also, the front suspension/shocks are way too mushy -- it bottoms out too easily. This is very disappointing -- it does not match the rear suspension which is firm but not hard. Lastly, there are some minor issues with the MyGig entertainment system, but no real problems. Our Jeep is fully loaded -- when you get all the advanced saftey options it's a lot of vehicle for a reasonable price. Would we guy again? You bet!"

Great car for the buck

By on Thursday, May 28, 2009

"I have driven my 08 Liberty over 57000 miles in the first year. Most of those miles pulling a 1500 Lb trailer. If I drive 65mph or lower I consistantly received 21+mpg with that little trailer in tow. 25+mpg if I wasn't towing. I still have the origional brakes, and tires. Basicall just followed the factory service schedule and this thing has been wonderful. The only issue that I have is that the gearing is so high to get the fuel economy up it can be a little challenging to get going with a heavy load (trailer and full of people) on a steep incline. the hill start assist helps but lower first and reverse gears would work better."

By on Sunday, January 04, 2009

Love my Liberty

By on Tuesday, November 18, 2008

"I traded my 2005 Grand Cherokee for this 2008 Liberty and I'm very pleased. I like it better than the Grand Cherokee. The visabilty backing up is better, the air flow and heating is better and the turning radius is much better. To me the ride is equal to the Grand Cherokee and the comfort is excellent. I would recommend a Liberty to anyone looking for a quality vehicle."

Good family vehicle

By on Friday, January 04, 2008

"Fun to drive. Powerful V6. Nice standard features. A whole lot of vehicle for the price. I would recommend better fuel economy."

Good Vehicle for the Money

By on Monday, December 10, 2007

"I have owned two jeep wranglers, a SRT 8 Grand Cherokee and now this new liberty. Very good car for the money"

It's A Jeep!! Not A Japanese Toaster

By on Sunday, September 11, 2011

Pros: "Super Fun Off Road, gets you to the good ski resorts"

Cons: "Sky Slider roof is possessed and often makes unsettling noises."

"First I should start off by saying my household is exclusively a jeep household that being said. I have had my Jeep for almost 2 years now and I have nothing bad to say about it other than, the sky slider roof takes some getting used to. I have driven my jeep up and down the East coast as well as from NY to California without any problems to report. I currently live in Southern California so there is really no need for the 4x4 unless you are looking for a reason to use it. I have been to Big Bear as well as Sequoia National Park in the dead of winter when the snow banks towered over the jeep and it plowed thru like a champ. I made it to the 6700 feet mark without any chains and only really had to engage the 4 wheel drive one the snow on the ground was 3 or more feet. Overall I am very happy with my jeep and I can't wait until 2013 when I can trade it in for another Liberty."

Solid Reliable Jeep

By on Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Pros: "Low cost to buy, 4x4 capability, reliable"

Cons: "Lack of horsepower"

"I have owned 1 Cherokee, 2 Grand Cherokee and 2 Liberty models. This Jeep (I have had for almost 5 years) meets my expectations with only one downside that it is a little underpowered in my opinion. It is a very reliable car and it does everything well. 4x4 use in snow and ice is excellent. I am never concerned about ground clearance. Comfortable inside and easy to maintain."

I love my Jeep

By on Saturday, November 13, 2010

"I just bought my 2011 Jeep Liberty last month & wanted to wait to write my review until I drove the vehicle a full 30 days. I like my Jeep more & more every day! I did my homework before purchasing a new SUV & was concerned about the "expert" reviews for the Liberty. The "experts" compare the Liberty to cars like the Toyota RAV 4 & the Hyundai Tucson..... They are both completely different from the Jeep. Try to take the Hyundai or the RAV 4 off road & see what happens, or better yet connect either one to a 24 ft ski boat and see how far you get. The main thing I was looking for was to be comfortable on a road trip, decent gas mileage, & to be able to tow a boat or camper. The Liberty gave me everything I wanted and more, I average @ 19 mpg with mainly in town driving, and am able to tow up to 5000lbs. Do yourself a favor and test drive the Liberty if you are in the market"

Rugged Daily Driver

By on Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Pros: "fun, rugged, solid, sky slider roof, awesome price"

Cons: "better mpg wouldn't hurt, more 12v outlets"

"I bought one of the last 2011 models left on the lot. It is a limited 4x4 with every option and some dealer installed options. It has the awesome sky slider roof fabric roof, navigation, full time 4wd, rear parking sensors and backup camera, front brush guard and side rails, 18" wheels, leather interior, remote start, tow package, heated seats and so forth. Comparing this beast to the other "cute utes" finds no comparison. The others feel like tin cans, and are all flash and no substance. This vehicle weighs about 1000 pounds more than the other vehicles it competes against, and you can feel how solid it is when you drive it. The V6 provides more than adequate acceleration, and my wife and I both comment on how you cannot hear the engine at idle. I drive a 12 mile round trip daily commute in city traffic and am averaging 14.3 mpg. Although it is not the best, what would you expect from a vehicle that weighs well over 4000 lbs? I find the interior very nice, and the leather seats are a great fit for me, and I am 5'7" and of average build. You can hear some wind noise through the "convertible" ie sky slider roof, but only at speeds greater than 50 mph or if the wind is really blowing. It is quieter than a full blown convertible top vehicle. The visibility is great, and the handling is very crisp. The brakes stop quickly. The Liberty has a very solid feeling to it. We also have a 4x4 truck, and full size SUV, so the Liberty fits in quite well. My wife and I compared several vehicles before opting for the Liberty, and we both feel we made the best choice. We also got a "smoking" deal on it too...yeah!"

Becareful buying these

By on Sunday, May 18, 2014

"Please be careful buying any jeep with the 3.7 or 4.7 liter engine. I bought what I thought was a very nice and loaded 2009 jeep liberty. I did a little research ,and didn't see anything pop out as far as major issues. I was wrong. Jeep has an issue with almost any and all of the 3.7 and 4.7 engines. The left bank cylinder head has a design flaw, and carbons up in under 30,000 miles and burns the valves requiring a $3,000 repair job. I bought this used at 59,000 miles ,and just after my 30 day warranty from a Toyota dealer, the left cylinder head needed replaced. As the the second owner of this jeep,the warranty is only 3 years or 36,00 miles. Not the usual 5 year,60,000 miles. If you do not believe me, Please Google jeep 3.7 and 4.7 cylinder head issues and cylinder miss fire issue. Please do this before you buy one. I ended up spending 4200.00 extra after it was all fixed!!!! Do not make the mistake I did. If you buy it new though, You have a warranty, So it doesnt matter. jeep will fix the issue for free. Please Google it!!!"

Excellent 4WD , good value overall... it's a Jeep!

By on Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Pros: "It's a Jeep!! A good value with a long time name."

Cons: "Poor gas mileage especially about town is all."

"Very good value for money spent excellent (real!) 4WD, off road seems superior to others in class and a perfect size. Engine runs purrfect but not good gas mileage by todays stasndards. This is my wifes Jeep and she loves it! Plenty of room for her 3 dogs and despite the fuel cost it really does the job for her, she loves it. Of course with us if it says "Jeep" it rules anyway and it's tough!! It's a shame Jeep has decided to drop it...I think it'll be back... let's watch."

By on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pros: "Off Road Capability, quality, multiple use vehicle"

Cons: "Needs Pentastar or TDI, more 4x4 aftermarket."

The Liberty proves more capable than the critics assessed. At ORV park with factory tires.

"My wife and I purchased a 2011 Liberty earlier this year. I want to get another Wrangler, but with 2 kids, only the 4 door was an option and those run $32,000. We opted for a Sport 4x4 Liberty instead for around $24,000. The engine is not bad, but the new Pentastar 3.6L would be a better choice. I think that the engine works better offroad than on. The live rear axle has a good amount of flex for a family SUV. It drives like a small SUV on the road, but is not jumpy. The interior is good quality, and I am impressed with Chryslers improvements during the past 5 years on build quality. I personally think that this rig shines offroad. I took her to an ORV park a week after I picked her up. A friend of mine is a serious Jeeper who has a modified 01 Cherokee. He skoffed at the idea of me being able to remotely keep up with him. His impression was that my Liberty was 'too low' and 'too boxy' to do any serious offroading. with zero modifications to my rig, except lowering the tire pressure to 20 psi, I crawled, pulled, and shimmied up every hill, down every slope, and around every bend that he attempted. I even parked her in the middle of a mud bog to demonstrate the responsiveness of the CommandTrac system. He was impressed enough to try driving it himself, and really enjoyed it (not enough to upgrade of course, as his Jeep has the legendary 4.0L inline 6). The base model (like mine) came chock full of 4x4 features. Hill Climb Assist, Hill Descent Control (which is AWESOME when your coming down a scary rock face), 3 way 2WD/4WD and stability control shut-off. The only option that I got on mine was the tow package, so I could utilize the full 5,000 lb capacity of the vehicle. Mileage has been pretty accurate, with a worst of 12 MPG (4x4ing) and a best of 25mpg (55 mile an hour on the freeway). If your someone who wants an SUV to be as utilitarian as possible, haul 5 people and a bunch of cargo, tow a decent load, give acceptable gas mileage, and then be able to go and explore the untamed regions of our great country, then the Liberty is something to look into. If I had a million dollars, I would have a sports car for the city, a big diesel pickup for towing, and a ridiculously modified Jeep Wrangler for Offroading. But since I dont, I found the best compromise of all 3 things, a Jeep Liberty Sport. P.S. On the outside shot that someone from Chrysler is reading this. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE put the Mercedes Benz 3.0L Turbo Diesel in a Liberty like you did on the Grand Cherokee!!! There is a large group of people out there like myself who would trade in their current Jeep in an instant to get a TDI Jeep. I still cant understand why the American Automotive Industry refuses to offer a midsize turbo diesel 4x4!"

Excellent Value

By on Saturday, April 28, 2012

Pros: "American Made and Tough"

Cons: "Probably the last year of this body style"

"I own a 2012 Liberty Limited Jet and it is an incredibly capable vehicle especially when purchased with the optional Selec Trac II transfer case which has the 2WD, 4WD Auto and 4WD Low Lock selections. The 4WD Auto essentially turns the Liberty into an AWD system as you can use in all driving conditions even dry pavement which you can't do with Command Trac II. The Selec Trac II transfer case is great for varying driving conditions and for $445.00 on the sticker this is a cheap option that greatly expands the functionality of the Liberty. Unfortunately this option is rarely ordered by most dealerships as my research has shown that most of the sales staffs that I have spoken to about Selec Trac II do not really know what it is...in fact it is downright humorous to hear some of them try to explain it! The small percentage that do confess that they don't order it to keep sticker prices down, instead, opting for options that sound sexier on the sticker. The rest of the amenities such as leather seating, heated seats, nav system, sunroof, Infinity speaker system make the Liberty a pleasure to drive. Coupled with the great suspension, handling and more than adequate power you have a very comfortable and capable real SUV. Oh yeah, it can tow up to 5000 lbs. You can tow many of the competitors car based utes with it but they can't tow you! On the value side, my Liberty Jet had a sticker price of $33,575.00 and I paid $25,000.00 This made the choice of the Liberty a no-brainer. All this being said I am glad I bought the Liberty this year as I suspect that when they redesign the Liberty we will have another "egg on wheels” bobbling down the road. Hope you find this helpful."

Well Worth It

By on Monday, October 22, 2007

"The look alone sets the precedence of the Liberty. I was so taken aback by the new style of it. I have never been so pleased with a purchase of a vehicle before. It runs great, offers so much, it's reliable, and very spacious on the inside. It offers everything you'd expect from the Jeep name and so much more. Truly a great vehicle."

Jeeps for life

By on Monday, November 19, 2012

Pros: "reliable, great performance, love the high center"

Cons: "interior"

"The Jeep Liberty is the first car I have ever owned and let me tell you I am hooked on Jeeps. GET THIS CAR"

Love my 2012 Liberty!!

By on Monday, September 17, 2012

Pros: "Looks, Comfort, off road capability and towing"

"I love this truck. It has everything I want. I have the Latitude edition with the optional 4wd auto, heated leather seats, parking sensors, bluetooth, 1 year sat. radio, and much more. It's super comfortable and I got a great deal. The sticker price was 30k and I got it for 23k. I like the good visability in this vehicle and it handles great. I've already gone down some trails and it has performed well off road. I average about 24mpg highway."

Buy one

By on Thursday, April 26, 2012

Pros: "Great price and it delivered more than I expected"

Cons: "Everybody in my family likes it toooo much"

"This is the best vehicle on the market today, you get your biggest bang for your buck. MPG is very good, durability seems to be there, it is comfortable to drive, interior and exterior is very stylish. I was in the market for another vehicle for about a year and test drove just about everything out there the Liberty was head and shoulders above the competition. Mine is the Sport 4x4,it is everthing you will want and need in a mid size SUV.Buy one and you won't be sorry. By the way the MPG is better than they advertise I'm getting 20-25."

Fun to drive!

By on Thursday, May 05, 2011

"I was ready to finally get out suv's and sport cars, until I sat in a new Jeep Liberty for a test drive. I thought I would try everything I liked the look of before I made a choice on a smaller car. I am so happy I decided to try it out. So smooth, fun to drive, powerful, and American! I love the Jeep. The pick-up is a little sluggish, but once you get going you are ahead of the game. And the way it drives totally makes up for any faults. I feel SAFE in this SUV and driving on southern California roads, you can't put a price on how safe you feel. This Jeep is not too big and not too small! Just perfect!"

Love my Jeep Liberty!

By on Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Pros: "Spacious, reliable, nice design"

Cons: ""Popping" sound when turning hard"

"I purchased my 2010 Jeep Liberty in January of 2014. I traded in a car that had no working heat, with 160k miles, and cracked heads. So, when I bought my Jeep, needless to say, I was on cloud nine. 3 months & 4 ice storms later, I still love my Jeep just as much! The 4wd was amazing during the winter. We had a few harsh ice storms and the ole Jeep never thought twice about it. It is very spacious and wonderful to take on trips. My only complaint about the Jeep is that it tends to make a "popping" noise when I cut it hard to the left or right, like trying to get in a tight parking spot. But, there's a chance it could just be something minor with my vehicle. Gas mileage is not bad at all. I drive 15 miles one way to work each day and 35 miles one way to church twice a week and I fill up once a week, normally for right at $50 (at about $3.20 per gallon). So you do the math there. I have no complaints at all with my gas mileage, considering it is a 4wd SUV. It is just my husband & I, so we don't regularly have anyone in our backseat, but when we do have extra people with us, they find the backseat comfortable and spacious. Another important thing to remember is that Jeeps hold their value really well! Highly recommend the Jeep Liberty."

Third Liberty - Still a Fan

By on Thursday, October 31, 2013

Pros: "4x4, appearance, comfort"

Cons: "heavy"

"This is the 3rd Liberty I've owned - 2012 4x4 Latitude with leather and 16k miles.- my son is still driving my 07 with 130k miles. Wasn't sure about the new body style when it first came out but now I'm a fan. It is larger inside and the seats with lumbar fit perfectly for my bad back - long trips no problem. It handles great in the snow and has decent acceleration on the highway. One thing I really notice is the weight - with a full tank it drives very "heavy". I am a life long Jeep fan and have really enjoyed the Liberty. Here's hoping for 100k+ in this one! I would highly recommend this Jeep especially if you live in snow country."