2008 Jeep Liberty

8.2

Based on 233 Ratings for the 2008 - 2012 models.

You Can't Beat the Original

By on Saturday, January 18, 2014

Pros: "Goes anywhere; sturdy; dependable; my dogs love it"

Cons: "About 20 MPG, but I didn't buy it for the mileage"

"Some version of this truck has been made every year since 1941. This is the 4WD that chased the Germans from the coast of Normandy all the way back to the Elbe River. I figured after 69 years Jeep would have worked the kinks out. My Liberty goes anywhere: up a sandy road in the Pine Barrens near my house, down onto the beach in the winter, and anywhere it wants to in the snow. I'm part of a small firm. We don't close for snow. It matters if I'm there working or not. And now I don't have to fret anymore when I see the forecast. I wanted real 4WD, not AWD. I had a Toyota RAV4 that wasn't much use in more than 3 inches of snow. I use the 4WD more than I ever realized I would and sometimes in the oddest circumstances. Once I pulled off the road near a cedar creek to order Chinese take out, and only when I went to leave did I realize I was in 4 inches of sand. 4 wheel low and I was outta there. I didn't think of it before I bought the thing, but 4WD is also dead useful in heavy, heavy rain when the roads flood. All of that said, look, this is a boxy, high truck. It rides like a truck. It corners like a truck. And the interior is dated. It's a Jeep. If you want fancy, go get a shiny AWD mom-van. If you want the real deal, get a Jeep."

Good, dependable Jeep. No problems in 50000 miles

By on Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Pros: "Great vehicle for all driving conditions."

Cons: "Gas mileage could be better"

"Have enjoyed this vehicle. Very easy and comfortable for highway driving and the Sky-slider top is great for warm weather -- especially when you are driving on secondary roads in scenic areas. Better than a convertible because you have much less wind. Off-road capabilities are good, especially once the original tires were replaced with a more aggressively-treaded tire. Have had no mechanical problems or recalls -- pretty unusual based on experience with other vehicles. The only downside is the gas mileage which runs around 15 mpg in local driving and 24 mpg on the highway."

Comfortable Safe Ride

By on Friday, December 20, 2013

"I love my Liberty Jeep. The heated leather seats are great in the winter. Very comfortable drive and visablility is excellent. I feel very safe. It can be difficult to turn sometimes, but I've gotten used to that and have no issues now. Love my Jeep! That's all I'm getting from now on!!"

This has been a "SUV" that has Satisfied our needs

By on Thursday, December 19, 2013

Pros: "Great utility, tough and rugged"

Cons: "Poor city MPG"

"This has been a SUV that has satisfied our needs and one of the few real SUV's. It has been very reliable, unstoppable in all kinds of conditions. Lots of room, even two midsized dogs fit with all seats up. The Liberty's only downfall is it's gas mileage, 20 mpg highway...not bad for heavy SUV, however around town about 12mpg!! The engine is quiet and peppy, runs great...except for above mpg it's great. Best of all it's a real SUV, it's a JEEP!!!"

ok

By on Friday, December 13, 2013

Pros: "good looks, feels heavy and safe"

Cons: "Fuel economy, Quality, Value for your money"

"I bought my 2010 Liberty new. Some issues I have had are: bad weld at rear hatch door which was leaking water inside, thermostat replaced (under warranty), rear door lock actuator replaced, radio does not keep time, interior dash rattles and squeaks, rear window seal leaks so when I get car wash the back window will not open with remote or button on dash until it dries out. Fuel economy is bad but I knew that at time of purchase. It's been paid for so I will drive it till a major component failure. Knowing what I know now I would not purchase again. I would not consider buying a used one. Many better choices are in the price range in my opinion. On a positive note it has never left me stranded and it has always started. The 4wd works great."

Love my 3 Jeeps

By on Thursday, December 05, 2013

Pros: "Off road capabilities, towing capabilities"

Cons: "Poor on road manners"

WI snow

"Now I come from a Jeep family. I have a 99 Cherokee Sport(bought in 00') an 08' Jeep Liberty Limited and a 10' Jeep Liberty Sport. I had two Jeeps over the years prior to these three; a CJ5 and an 88' Wrangler Sahara. My dad bought an 86' Cherokee new and just sold it last year, he has a 98' GC Limited and an 05' GC Limited. You can see I come from a Jeep family and grew up with them. As long as you maintain them properly you never have issues with them and they are the most reliable vehicles around(compared to others with non-Jeep vehicles and issues they have encountered). My 99 Cherokee I bought in 00' and now with 250,000 miles has never let me down; it has never broke down and has gotten me through one to one and a half feet of snow plenty of times over the years. It tows good but lacks many on-road manners however what do you expect from a 14 year old vehicle that can tow 5,000 pounds and is designed/built like a tank; the jeep is unstoppable off road. My 08' Liberty Limited and 10' Liberty Sport have all my old Cherokee is missing; they have great on road manners, can still tow 5,000 pounds, and are good off road. I would like to add that they are not nearly as capable off road as my 99' Cherokee though. But I am okay with that because you need to give a little to get a little; the Liberty has IFS in the front and the 99 Cherokee has a live axle in the front. Overall I have been happy with all five Jeeps I have owned over the last 19 years(3 of which I still have). If you want a vehicle that drives nice, is dependable(as long as maintained) and will never let you down no matter what mother nature throws at you then get a Jeep. Keep in mind they are not as comfy as a car and do not have good gas mileage but what can you expect from a vehicle that can tow 5,000 pounds and get you through anything."

WI snow

my 4th jeep and loved them all

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "Strong, safe, fun, durable, American made (sort of"

Cons: "Heater is 'iffy' in cold country"

"Jeeps are durable and easy on maintenance. Either you love 'em or hate 'em. They have their quirks...mostly cabin noise, top heavy, not great gas mileage, no luxury ride. But dang! My 2008 Liberty is 2wd six speed stick with no options except basic standard ones, radio, a/c, power windows and locks. It goes anywhere and looks good doing it. Wouldn't recommend towing a heavy trailer, light towing is good. Been off road gold prospecting and didn't think twice about it. Rides high and safe/solid and I can wash it and take it to the golf course. Expect a life span of 300,000 miles with reasonable care. May need a new clutch at 150,000 miles. Looks brand new and it's 5 years old so no rust or body problems, Florida salt air and off road about 15% of it's life so far. Step daughter liked mine and bought three already (Wrangler type) and wife just bought a Grand Cherokee. Two friends bought Libertys after seeing mine."

Third Liberty - Still a Fan

By on Thursday, October 31, 2013

Pros: "4x4, appearance, comfort"

Cons: "heavy"

"This is the 3rd Liberty I've owned - 2012 4x4 Latitude with leather and 16k miles.- my son is still driving my 07 with 130k miles. Wasn't sure about the new body style when it first came out but now I'm a fan. It is larger inside and the seats with lumbar fit perfectly for my bad back - long trips no problem. It handles great in the snow and has decent acceleration on the highway. One thing I really notice is the weight - with a full tank it drives very "heavy". I am a life long Jeep fan and have really enjoyed the Liberty. Here's hoping for 100k+ in this one! I would highly recommend this Jeep especially if you live in snow country."

The absolute worst piece of junk I have ever owned

By on Sunday, October 06, 2013

Reason: poor quality

Pros: "when the 4 wheel drive works. its good"

Cons: "TOO MANY to List"

"Another Poor Quality, Over priced junk. I have never seen a vehicle plummet in value as fast as this. I think that in a few years Damler Chrysler will be writing checks to cover a host of problems from this vehicle. Worst gas milage, Plastic everything, 4 wheel drive breaks down and on top of all that they quit making them. That was the smartest thing that they could do. Worst mistake I ever made. I wouldn't purchase anything made by this company."

I love my Jeep

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

"About the only thing I don't care about is the gas mileage, I don't feel it get's what I expect although I have had people tell me that it's good. I love the style of the Jeep and color, it handles well and the 4 wheel drive is the best in the snow and sandy areas."