2006 Jeep Liberty

7.8

Based on 1310 Ratings for the 2002 - 2007 models.

Solid little 4x4!

By on Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Pros: "great price."

Cons: "not the best gas mileage for a small 4x4."

"The only downfall to my Jeep is the gas mileage.Only gets about 16-17 mpg. It was the first vehicle I bought on my own, without my husband or anyone coming with me. It is great in the snow! Outdoes the other Jeeps we have owned in the winter. I have owned it for 8 yrs. and I feel I have definitely got my moneys worth"

Daily Driver over 11 Years - It's Been Excellent!

By on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable, capable off-road, comfort"

Cons: "16-18 mpg due to low geared drive train."

"Bought this 03 Renegade new December 2012. In 11 1/2 yrs and 90,000 miles, the turn signal switch broke, one electric window regulator broke, and the AC compressor died. That's it, other than regular service and a new set of Michelens last year. Haven't even had to do the brakes yet! We've enjoyed the car so much that we bought a diesel Liberty new in '06. That one had all the elec window regulators replaced under warranty. No other issues. The Liberty's are comfortable on long trips for the three of us, and extremely capable off-road. Drove my stock Renegade into hunting camp and the guys could not believe it went in there like nothing. They had lifted big ol' trucks and got dents and bumper damage. Not my Liberty. It turns tight- drove right around all the big stuff. Both the '03 and the '06 have been as good as we could have hope for. Only thing is I'm thinking about selling mine because I need a pickup for more hauling space. I would not sell if I did not need a larger vehicle."

Overall pretty good

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "Offroad ability, ruggedness, simplicity, compact"

Cons: "Gas miliage, poor seat fabric, hatch design"

"05 liberty, owned for 2 years now, bought it at 98k. Its incredible at offroading, power, its easy to work with (ive done a lot of work on it and im no mechanic) whenever it needs fixing, great view and overall good driveability. Its major flaws though are its gas milage. I get about 17 in the winter, 22 at best in summer (wny area). It also has a poor hatch design, its rusting pretty bad on the top of the hatch opening,but no where else. I had the parking break explode on me (that was quite the crisis) and im just getting the torque converter replaced at 135k. Thats an $800 fix. Basically, its an awesome little suv, just be prepared for the pricey (but convienently simple) repairs, and its "bottomless pit" appetite for gasoline. If you understand that thats what youre getting into when you buy it, you should love it!!!"

will hate to let this go...

By on Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Pros: "great price & fun to drive"

Cons: "horrible on gas mileage"

"yes - this was HORRIBLE on gas. however, living in central NY, best car ever; NEVER got stuck in the snow. BEST drivers seat ever, this bucket seat had the greatest lumbar support. I still own this and a Patriot, miss the height difference and that drivers seat! 12 yrs old, 171000 miles - couldn't have done better !!"

What a great machine!

By on Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Pros: "Great value, ride, service in ALL conditions"

Cons: "Really nothing"

"My Liberty has been used for commuting so it has to always work, and it has, with one design flaw - the window regulators. Each, in turn, broke, under warrantee. Chrysler redesigned them and there has been no problem since. It just runs and rides great. The manual trans is smooth shifting and clutch is precise. Powerful brakes. Great radio, heater, A/C and comfy standard cloth seats. This car is a sled dog - it hauls you there and NEVER lets you down."

Wonderful, quality vehicle! Will always buy Jeep!

By on Sunday, April 28, 2013

Pros: "Price, reliability"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"I have owned this vehicle since 2001 when the first class (2002) was introduced. It has been the most reliable vehicle I ever owned. I also have driven it for more than 170,000 miles with no more than normal maintenance and a fix here and there. Worth 10 times the price I paid for it due to its value. I love my Jeep Liberty!"

I like this car

By on Monday, January 28, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Uses too much gas for up here in the woods."

"I like my jeep. It handles really nicely. I've hardly used the four wheel. Traction control does it for all but deep mud or snow."

Aside from the constant recalls...

By on Monday, October 15, 2012

Pros: "Excellent in inclement weather"

Cons: "Constant recalls, gas mileage is terrible"

"...I've had 2 Jeep Liberty's. My first one had severe issues. On one particular recall (lower right ball joint), the part was on back order. While waiting for it to come in, sure enough the ball joint broke, and the tire came off the vehicle and my car came crashing down. Fortunately I was only going about 20mph at the time and was not injured. That Jeep had 3 recalls. My second Liberty has also had several recalls and issues, which include the power windows breaking. I'm on my 4th drivers side rear window motor. Its a nusance. Aside from these issues, it handles incredible in inclement weather. I've driven in numerous blizzards, and while others are spinning out, or stuck, both of my Liberty's have made it through the storms like it was a dry summer day. Both of my Liberty's made it to 80,000 before having costly issues such as a cracked coolant case, and fuel injetor pumps. But it seemed like once it 80,000, its all downhill. Jeeps don't make it far past 100,000, but for the low price for an 4x4, it was worth it."

VARY GOOD SUV FOR THE GREEN BACKS

By on Friday, July 13, 2012

Pros: "GOOD GAS MPG , TUFF LITTLE 4X4, FITS ME 6'8" GUY"

Cons: "LIGHT GRAY SEATS GET DIRTY QUICKLY"

"NO BIG REPAIRS JUST BRAKES AND REGULAR TUNE-UP'S THE VARY LIGHT GRAY INSIDE SHOWS DIRT EASY BUT SEAT COVERS FIX THAT. TOWED MY TRL. WITH NO PROBLEM NEVER LEFT ME STRANDED. GOES THREW SNOW AWESOME WE GOT 18" AND I MADE IT TO WORK THAT DAY ON SOME STREETS THAT WERE NOT PLOWED YET ."

I love my Jeep! Had it for 10 years, almost 200K.

By on Monday, March 26, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "low MPG (average 17)"

"I love my 2002 Jeep Liberty. It drives great, looks great (even after 10 years), performs well in all conditions. My only complaint is the gas mileage (22 hwy, 12 around town, overall average 17). I would love for Jeep to make a hybrid vehicle!"

i love my jeep :)

By on Sunday, March 25, 2012

Pros: "funt to drive, great visibility, wide tires, safe"

Cons: "not great gas mileage, cloth seats, window clips"

"Love my car.its a 2006 and i got it when i was 16. i love that you ride so high up. you can see everything around and there are virtually no blind spots. ive only had a few problems with it throughout my entire time owning it. jeep has a few problems with their windows. the clips that hold the windows up break and i have had 3 of my windows fall, quick fix at the shop but it can get a little expensive if it happens more than a few times. i have cloth seats and the seats get stained really easily. water will leave spots on them so when you clean the seats you have to clean the entire seat. other than that though this is a really fun and safe feeling car to drive. jeeps arent for everyone but for those that want the jeep feeling without being in a soft top, this is definitely the way to go. i would absolutely recommend this car. :)"

Love this jeep

By on Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Pros: "Super Tough, Great four wheel drive"

Cons: "Sometimes load and not comfy to take out on dates."

She can Haul over 5,000 LBS easily and still get 25-27MPG doing it.

"With the diesel option and good driving 35-37 MPG is average on a long trip. Jack it up and put 33" wheel/tire package with a lift kit, heavy duty springs, and a new heavy duty steel of road bumper you can still get 27 MPG."

She can Haul over 5,000 LBS easily and still get 25-27MPG doing it.

Tougher than a cheap steak

By on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pros: "runs over stuff, plays in snow like a puppy"

Cons: "Gas mileage isn't great, but who cares?"

"I bought this Jeep with 50,228 miles on it back in 2005. Since then I've tried to drown it, fell trees with it, drag every component underneath it across rocks, tow trailers that are beyond what it's rated to pull, and even driven it daily for the past six (almost seven) years. It's stubborn. It won't die. I've maintained it well, but otherwise beaten hard. The seats are marginal on long, long trips (like the 1800 mile trek from Cincinnati to Phoenix), but unless you're a glutton for punishment you'll at least divide that into two 14 hour driving shifts with some rest in between. Gas mileage is far better than it really should be, too. Towed a 4,000 pound trailer from Memphis to Flagstaff, AZ and averaged 16 mpg with the cruise set at 60 the whole way. Braking coming down serious hills like I-17 south of Flagstaff, though, is a bit concerning when you've got a 4,000 pound trailer; I found that out the hard way. This was the only time I've taken this vehicle past 90 and it wasn't on purpose...but I was already doing 70 when I crested the mountain and wasn't aware of what was ahead. I have had to put four radiators in it; the original one giving up the vapor ghost at 109,000 miles. The other four radiators are likely because I was too cheap to replace them with an OEM one. But, on the upside, I can change a radiator in a 2002-2006 Liberty without the heavy duty cooling option in under 30 minutes now. It's a decent looking little trucklet with terrific outward visibility, OKish cargo capacity, but what's there is very well-used and accessible. The tailgate opening won't swallow a 60" TV very well...but...that's what friends that own pickups are for. Only thing I have left to add is if you currently own an SUV that does not have a 12v accessory port in the cargo area, you need one. I never thought I'd need that, but it's freaking awesome! It's not a car, it's a Jeep. Remember that."

I love this car!

By on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pros: "Easy to drive, lots of passenger room"

Cons: "drivers seat isn't powered"

"I've owned my Liberty for a little over 2 years now. It was my first car when I turned 16. It's been extremely reliable. I've had no mechanical issues with it."

Best Car I've Ever Owned!

By on Friday, December 16, 2011

Pros: "Great in the snow. Comfortable on long trips."

Cons: "Wish it had more lights in the middle. That's it!!"

Jeep in her element. ~ The snow!

"This car has been so dependable, reliable and extremely low maintenance. I have never gotten stuck in the snow or the sand (when I'm at the beach). It is really terrific in bad weather. I have not had any major repair issues with this car. I think I had to replace the alternator at 110,000 miles! The engine and transmission have been perfect and care free. I almost hate to sell it, put I don't want to push my luck with so many miles on it, even though my 81 year old Dad keeps telling me, "It'll last you 200,000 miles!"

Jeep in her element. ~ The snow!

Awesome Reliability and great in the snow!

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pros: "reliable, sturdy"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"I can count on my Jeep to get me anywhere, anytime I need to be there. I have driven in the worst of storms and the Jeep made it through everything! I wish the gas mileage was better, but that is the only negative I have for this great vehicle!"

LOVE this car!

By on Saturday, November 05, 2011

Pros: "Listed above."

Cons: "I have no cons."

"This is the most reliable car I have ever owned. It's my first Jeep. I would buy another in a heartbeat. It has been reliable through and through! I have 4WD which works perfectly EVERY time. I feel safe and secure when driving this vehicle!"

True jeep

By on Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Pros: "Fun, priced right,reliable."

Cons: "Gas mileage sometimes"

"The Liberty is a true jeep in every sense of the word. Almost no upkeep bills. Goes where we need to go when we need to go. The ride is great when compared to other makes in the same class(if any are). Would recommend this vehicle to anyone."

BEST VEHICLE I'VE EVER OWNED!

By on Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Pros: "Reliable, fun to drive, just plain awesome!"

"I bought my Liberty new in Feb 07, and hit 100K miles 4 yrs to the day I bought it! I put 75K on it before I even replaced the original tires. Replaced brake pads once, a rear passenger window motor(?) last year, and just recently replaced the battery. I drive a LOT, and currently have over 109K miles on it. It's 2x4 (what I could afford), but until the bad snow last winter I hadn't had a problem in snow. I was thinking about trading down to something more gas-efficient because of the amount of driving I do (averaging 21 mpg), but it's been a real struggle. I don't think I can give up my Liberty! Fits 3 full-size people or 3 full-size dogs comfortably in the back, plenty of leg and head room. I heard about Jeeps in general having trouble at 80K miles, but it didn't stop me from buying one, and I'm very happy I did!"

Would buy 2 more

By on Tuesday, June 08, 2010

"I own two 2003 Jeep Liberty Sports. Both have about 60K miles. Neither has ever broken down or needed a major repair (or minor for that matter). Both are comfortable, powerful, and extremely reliable. I couldn't be more happy with them."

By on Friday, April 09, 2010

"I've bought my Liberty new in 2002. I have 84000 miles on it now. As far a mechanical problems, only 2. Lower ball joint recall twice and some emission hose (1.58 part). My biggest complaints with it are 1. The mileage, about 18 combined, it's too small for that kind of mileage. 2. It needs a 5 speed auto, That would help the mileage a little. 3. My headlights on low or high seem not very bright. I can actually drive with my highs on and nobody ever flashes me. It does move around a bit in the wind and it's a pretty harsh ride, but it's a jeep and I can accept that! I do like the cargo capacity, wish the seats folded totally flat (2005 they do). Cloth seats are easy to clean with foam cleaner and a wet shamy. Over all it's been excellent but I do the required maintenance (myself) and use synthetic oil. Would like to buy a new one but not without the 5 speed auto! Oh I almost forgot! I do have leaks in the heavy rain when it's parked. By the drivers feet, far back side windows, and hatch window. I don't have a rack on top though and I think the water comes in where the rack would be mounted (screw holes)."

Phenominal Vehicle

By on Wednesday, February 17, 2010

"8 years ago....I bought this SUV new and it was the first vehicle I EVER bought new in my life. I cannot begin to express the love I have for my Libby! She has been a flawless performer and hauls a lot more cargo than she appears capable. There are boatloads of them on the road and it is very easy to see why. She's cute, different looking from all the rest of the SUV's out there, and very stylish. She has given me no trouble, starts up all the time, plows through the snow, has a wonderful field of vision from all around the cabin, goes like a Jack Rabbit and rides wonderfully....I could go on and on!!!! My only complaint....They don't make the new ones with that body style anymore. The new ones are too square and look like boxes. The signature spare tire on the tailgate is gone now and is tucked under the cargo area...ie..reducing the cargo heighth clearance. I don't see very many of the new ones on the road like I do my style. Which means when the day comes (which will probably be 10 years) I will have to buy something else as a result of it. I can never trade her in.....I will give her to my daughter (who loves her too) when the time comes. She more than just a machine......She's family!!!"

The Overall

By on Wednesday, October 28, 2009

"I own a 2004 model, with very few complaints. Pros: Have had no major mechanical defects, has enough power for a mid size SUV, can drive through anything, and rugged enough that I (a man) can still drive it, yet transport my small family comfortably. Cons: BROKE BOTH SEAT RECLINING HANDLES OFF ADJUSTING THE SEATS! (if it were just 1 I'd say it was my fault, but both is a defect). Bit of a gas guzzler depending on how you drive it. A tad overpriced for improved features since, in 2004 and since, most of the luxury features offered come pretty standard even in the base models of other vehicles. The Overall: A good buy, would buy another, would buy for my children."

Liberty CRD

By on Tuesday, September 08, 2009

"It's been a great, sticks to the road like glue with good tires on it. Great through everything I have driven it in 8" - 10" Slush, Ice & Snow covered roads, you name it I have driven through it. Never once felt unsafe, always stable & secure."

worst car i eveer owned

By on Friday, August 21, 2009

"nothing but a piece of junk from day one. filed the lemon law once. if i could i would again. collapsed lifters and warped cylinder heads. due to 2 water pumps and it never ran smooth like other libertys.jeep dealer has had my car 2 months and can't get parts. maybe they will have tham sept.16"