2006 Jeep Liberty

7.9

Based on 1257 Ratings for the 2002 - 2007 models.

Most durable vehicle I ever owned.

By on Sunday, January 19, 2014

Pros: "lots of head room, great in snow, very durable."

"Drivers seat very comfortable, with a lot of headroom, even for a tall person. Great in deep snow, you cant get stuck. Very tough, I carry over 1,000 lbs of equiptment every day for work and it has over 245000 miles and have put less money into this jeep than any other vehicle I ever had. A true tank. Gas millage isn't as good as most small suvs, but those cant be as good in any other area as this is."

Not very comfortable

By on Saturday, January 18, 2014

"I really liked my jeep for the first few years, I bought it new. We had a great time with it! We live in the Pinelands of sj, and there are so many places to take a jeep! Throw the kayaks on top and off we go. It even handles fairly well in the Pineys sugar sand. It is a utility vehicle, and that can't be changed. Very rough ride when the newness wears off., but I knew that going into it, I didn't think it would be so annoying. I wouldn't buy another one"

Great Little Workhorse!

By on Friday, January 17, 2014

Pros: "Best winter ride ever; fun, safe, comfortable"

Cons: "Lousy gas mileage, a recurring electrical glitch"

"My 1st new car. Owned a 92 Cherokee & 82 American Eagle both with the select-trac trans. Best winter vehicles I'd ever driven. Love the Liberty (but do miss the Cherokee exterior). The Lib does not have the torque and 'take-off' power that the straight-six Cherokee had, but accelerates nicely on the hwy... not so well going uphill. I haul everything imaginable inside: 100s of lbs of cement pavers; multiple bags of salt, sand, quik-crete; lumber & all manner of bldg supplies. You name it. Never been stuck. The selec-trac (or similar) is now only available on Wrangler Unlimited (dang!) and outside my budget. So - here's to many more years with Sweet Baby Truck!"

good vehicle

By on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

"Needs a transmission"

I best Vehicle I ever own . Love it.

By on Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Pros: "Get in bad weather and fun to drive for me."

Cons: "MPG and little things like Cigerette lighter went"

"I have owned this vehicle for over 10 years and have had little problems with it. I do wish it had better gas mpg but it gave me everything I wanted. It was fun to drive and could go in bad weather or just in ruff roads. I even named it because it did feel like a good old friend to me. Now my son is getting his DL and I am passing along to him. Wish him as much enjoyment from it as I have had. It's a nice feeling to hand over your car to your son and know that he is getting a good car not some piece or junk."

will hate to let this go...

By on Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Pros: "great price & fun to drive"

Cons: "horrible on gas mileage"

"yes - this was HORRIBLE on gas. however, living in central NY, best car ever; NEVER got stuck in the snow. BEST drivers seat ever, this bucket seat had the greatest lumbar support. I still own this and a Patriot, miss the height difference and that drivers seat! 12 yrs old, 171000 miles - couldn't have done better !!"

Excellent used as RV tow vehicle

By on Monday, January 06, 2014

Pros: "Red color classy fun to drive"

Cons: "I have no where to store the vehicle"

"I purchased this vehicle from a neighbor in my community who used it as a RV tow vehicle. I just bought RV so this was a great purchase for me knowing the previous owner. Car is in excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition inside and out. I am a female driver, and the car has high mileage but not from hard driving but from towing across America. The car has been recently serviced and is ready to go to a new owner. Reason Im selling is the car is being stored in a friends garage."

Great tow car.

By on Friday, January 03, 2014

"The car rides well when taken on long trips and has utility to haul relatively large items. To prepare for tow takes about a minute. No fuses to pull. Put transfer case in neutral and ignition switch in OFF position. It's ready to tow."

What a great machine!

By on Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Pros: "Great value, ride, service in ALL conditions"

Cons: "Really nothing"

"My Liberty has been used for commuting so it has to always work, and it has, with one design flaw - the window regulators. Each, in turn, broke, under warrantee. Chrysler redesigned them and there has been no problem since. It just runs and rides great. The manual trans is smooth shifting and clutch is precise. Powerful brakes. Great radio, heater, A/C and comfy standard cloth seats. This car is a sled dog - it hauls you there and NEVER lets you down."

Great vehicle

By on Sunday, December 29, 2013

Pros: "great winter vehicle with a go anywhere ability"

Cons: "Limited storage space behind rear seat."

"Good driving vehicle, plenty of power. Is outstanding in snow and off road. Gas milage is about what I expected, runs from 20-23.5 depending on how and where it is driven. Has been trouble free driving, having replaced only brakes and battery."

Love my Jeep!

By on Sunday, December 08, 2013

Pros: "Powerful V6, reliable."

Cons: "Poor gas mileage"

"I bought this car six years ago and have put over 100,000 miles on it. This car is wonderful to drive (if you don't mind the truck like feel). It has a lot of pep and has powered through snow, ice and mud. I have never had any mechanical issues (other than wear and tear) with my Jeep and it has never broken down. The only negatives I can think of are it has terrible gas mileage, somewhat cheap interior (the plastic parts break off) and it is starting to rust out pretty badly around the doors. Because it is getting old, I am starting to shop around for a new car and I am probably going to go with another Jeep. I love love love this car!"

I LOVE MY JEEP

By on Sunday, December 08, 2013

Pros: "easy to drive, feeling of security, room to haul"

Cons: "kid perfers my jeep over the new cadilaic"

"Mileage is getting up there and I thought about trading for a new one, however the new Jeeps are the same as the older ones with a bunch of junk this lady don't want or need."

STUCK ON JEEP

By on Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Pros: "big gas tank, lots of space, comfortable"

Cons: "mpg, no cruise control, limited storage"

"I got my jeep 3 years ago with a good amount of miles on it. despite the constant recalls it has to go in for due to the frame I've had little problem with it. I had to fix my ac when I bought it and its been good to go ever since besides the gas mileage is kind of a bummer. I added remote start and love it. moved with my jeep to a higher climate and it adjusted fantastic. I have 4 dogs and have no problem getting them around which was surprising since the suv looks so small. there's thing that I would fix like a bigger console and just minor things like that but I'm stuck on jeep now!"

Sturdy and Reliable

By on Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Pros: "easy/affordable to repair, good gas milegage"

Cons: "A little on the small side"

"I purchased my Jeep Liberty brand spankin new and I have driven it with virtually no problems for 10 years and 180,000 miles! I have never had to do any major work to this vehicle. Last year, the radiator busted as did the radiator fan assembly, but this is not uncommon on a 9 year old car. Overall, my jeep has been reliable, sturdy and a great car."

Most Reliable Ever-Why Stop Making Them?

By on Friday, October 11, 2013

Pros: "Perfect Size. Safety Wonderful. Power Excellent."

Cons: "No cons."

"I have been searching for a replacement Jeep Liberty Limited and was SO disappointed that they are no longer made. Be Fuddled actually. Perfect Size. Safety Wonderful. Power Excellent. Bottom Line: If I wasn't such a Jeep fan I would seek another make of vehicle. Before knowing Jeep stopped making the Libertys I would have recommended and HAVE recommended highly. But now? How can I recommend a vehicle that is no longer manufactured? Will leave that as a blank."

Good at First Terrible now

By on Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Pros: "Great for the first few years"

Cons: "Not reliable after year 5-6. Would not recommend"

"Loved my Jeep Liberty for the first 5-6 years I had it. It was very reliable. Over the last 1-2 years this is what I have had to replace on the car. 3 automatic window units(for your power windows) over $200 a piece, the radiator, water pump, a/c condensor, and the alternator. Pretty much have a new engine. It also tends to not hold an alignment well and wears tires on the inside. The interior is cheap design. Both clips that hold the visor broke after about 3 years and there is a hole in the vinyl on the door where I rest my arm. Overall a very cheaply made car."

Owned for 10+years. Great vehicle.

By on Saturday, October 05, 2013

Pros: "great compact suv."

Cons: "bad gas mileage, window parts break."

"Very reliable vehicle. Gets around on the trails very well. Handles good but at highway speed steering is touchy. Clear coat started fading and chipping off at 8 yrs old. Power windows had same issue as 95% of all Libertys. Cheap plastic part breaks and window drops fully open. Repaired it and the other side broke about 6 months later. Ended up doing the "wire tie" repair method. Passengers side inside door handle broke off at 9 years old. Only thing I have done to it is change the oil and tires and feed it gasoline."

Bulletproof Daily Driver

By on Sunday, September 29, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, easy to fix/maintain."

Cons: "Mileage, but it's a Jeep - MPG LOL!"

"I bought my 2002 Jeep Liberty used to serve as my daily driver after buying a new Challenger earlier this year. I wanted the 2nd car to be the opposite of my Challenger, so I decided on a small SUV for it's cargo hauling and towing capacities. Fuel mileage became a secondary concern. Before settling on the Liberty, I scouted out Honda CRV's and Toyota RAV4's, but neither of those "cute Ute's" really filled the bill. Aside from timing belt issues, both the Honda and Toyota SUV's seemed too small, flimsy, and underpowered. After learning that the Jeep Liberty came with a 3.7L V6 (engineered with a timing chain) and a 5000 lb towing capacity, the cute Utes fell out of consideration altogether. To make the deal even sweeter, private sale used Jeeps were priced economically compared to the Honda and Toyota offerings. First generation CRV's and RAV4's are priced the same as Liberty's, the difference is that you can buy a 2002 - 2004 Jeep for the same price you would pay for a 1997 - 1999 CRV or RAV4. The engine is going strong with 152000 miles on the odometer with the alternator and water pump as the only major engine component replacements. The blower fan resistor had to be replaced, but I was able to do that on my own. The Liberty is home-mechanic friendly and many components can be maintained or repaired by most owners with elementary mechanical skills. Acceleration is brisk and smooth, although the 2nd gear is a tad tall. Braking is smooth as well with no clutching or skipping due to the Liberty's large rotors and drums. The frame and body are stiff and reduce a lot of the jarring or bouncy ride most people associate with Jeeps. Short side panels made of high tensile steel make the Liberty's sheet metal more resistant to door dings. The cabin is tall and upright increasing traffic visibility while relieving body-ache in the back and lower extremities. Vehicle entry is the easiest of any car I've owned. I am 6' tall and I find it effortless to swing into the Liberty. Ample ground clearance makes it a breeze to work underneath the carriage and makes rolling over speed bumps or pulling up to curbs a nonexistent concern."

Terrific Car - Very poor gas milage

By on Monday, September 02, 2013

Pros: "EVERYTHING about this car is wonderful except MPG."

Cons: "MPG."

"2004 Jeep Liberty Ltd - bought new. It's been the best car as far as maintenance and reliability are concerned. But it will empty your pocketbook on gas consumption. At first I thought it may just be my lead foot, but after talking with other Liberty Ltd owners, I found they experienced the same MPG issues. My Liberty is decked out with power leather heated seats, moon roof, all the gadgets you could possibly add and then some - I had the Light Bar from the Renegade added, too. Love it! Handles the road like a sports car, quick starts and stops, and surprisingly comfortable seating. And retained it's value VERY WELL. All 10's except MPG."

Has been a good vehicle with limited repairs need

By on Monday, September 02, 2013

Pros: "Gets around great in winter, and fun to drive"

Cons: "poor gas milage, bubble up rust by 3rd brake light"

Libby at home

"The gas milage is just as rated unfortunately, as this has been a great vehicle. I am ready for my 3rd set of tires. I still have the original brakes on it, but will need replacing soon. I like to service a vehicle myself and the Liberty is easy to service. Otherwise I have had a water pump, battery, belt, and spark plugs and wires replaced. The transmission has also been serviced every 30k miles. Hope to pass this vehicle to my daughter next year."

Libby at home

The most dependable vehicle, Ever!

By on Sunday, September 01, 2013

Pros: "A dependable, powerful, and fun car to drive."

Cons: "Road noise is high"

"I purchased my 2005 Liberty new and it's now at 120,000 miles and going strong. It's had no mechanical issues, only routine maintenance. As for the interior, the CD player can be a little temperamental, but it's workable. The V6 engine is like a rocket and allows me to dodge and pass the big rigs on my daily commute. Visibility and braking are great. I thought about upgrading to a new Jeep but the body styles are so lackluster now. I'd love to keep this car forever, the look is classic."

Good,solid and dependable but useless.

By on Sunday, September 01, 2013

"This is a good, solid and dependable vehicle. However with the two (at least) recalls for airbags and fuel tank that Chrysler refuses to fix, it is totally useless."

A reliable vehicle with great capabilities

By on Saturday, August 31, 2013

Pros: "Great price, plenty of power, goood fuel milage"

Cons: "Ground clearance for some occasions"

"One of the best vehicle I have owned. 84K trouble free miles. Reliable 23-25 mpg. Capable for my hunting and fishing in remote areas. Adequate storage behind seats, could be better but it works. I tend to drive on highway at speed of 60-65 MPH, which likely helps with the milage. No rattles or squeaks at this point, which I consider amazing given where I drive it. My third Jeep and intend to keep driving them. I am a retired Military Officer, hunt and fish a lot."

Dislike intensely. Engine and body faulthy.

By on Monday, August 19, 2013

Pros: "Limited is reasonable comfortable."

Cons: "2002 3.7L engine failure, low MPG, interior body"

"Reported engine failures in 3/7L aluminum engines, mine too. Body integrity is awful. Side wind causes SUV to blow around. MPG is more like 10/17. Vehicle is not worth KBB or any other value. 2002 Jeep Liberty, has too many problems. Try a newer version. My daughter has a 2006 Trail Rated she likes, but is too uncomfortable. Suggest only buying a Limited."

Quarter million miles...runs like a champ!

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, comfortable, versatile, 4WD V6"

Cons: "Low MPG"

"We bought a 2003 Jeep Liberty in 2006. We live in Maryland have driven all over the east coast - from Maine to Miami (many times). We live in a rural area where 4WD is a must, but due everything being 10 miles away (or more), the mileage bites. The Liberty has been more than reliable - we have done nothing more than routine maintenance. The *only* negative points are the low mileage (we did spend more on gas-saving tires, and now get 22 MPG highway, up from 20), the relatively loud interior, and the small space. We also own a 2007 Wrangler (not a fan of the Wrangler from a comfort perspective, but that is for another review!) Unless we meet with an accident, I fully expect to be driving this up to 500,000 miles or more - this one is a keeper!"