2005 Jeep Liberty

7.8

Based on 1310 Ratings for the 2002 - 2007 models.

This Jeep has been almost bulletproof.

By on Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Pros: "Ease of parking. Lots of torque for pulling trailr"

Cons: "Might be a bit small for tall folks."

"My Liberty has the 2.8 Liter diesel engine. I must admit there were recalls but they did not cost me a penny. The dealer gave me a ride home and picked me up the next day. They were: torque converter ball joints a strut for the rear suspension. At ten years and 170000 miles nothing had broken. It went to the dealer at 100000 miles for the timing belt replacement as recommended. That cost me $1400 but divided over ten years that's cheap maintenance. If you ignore and the belt breaks the cost of repairs can reach $3000 due to internal damage. Now at 185000 one of the rear windows has stopped moving. So I taped it up and will wait till warm weather to fix it. Labor at the dealer can be rather high, so for things I can do at home I give it my best shot. The timing belt is a BIG job that I was not comfortable with. Last summer one of the front wheel bearings was noisy so I had to replace that. It was not too big of a job. Rusty bolts was the biggest obstacle. Torch and rust remover did the job. This little Liberty has been really good to me. It is so easy to park because it turns really sharp. I have the four wheel system that allows you to select 2 wheel, part time, full time high, and full time low, so it is very flexible. With General Grabber 2 tires on it, it can push through really deep snow. I have frequently pulled heavy trailers long distances going places with our church youth group. The transmission still works like new. I sometimes feel it is a bit small for my needs since I frequently have three or four of the youth going with me. But that just means I have to hook up the trailer to accommodate all the luggage and extra camping gear. I am very pleased with this Jeep. I was told the engine should be good till 300000 miles. After all it IS a diesel. At that time I may decide to have both engine and transmission completely overhauled. It will depend on how well the body is holding up. I had it fully treated by Ziebart while new and go back every year for the updates. Wisconsin winters mean salt, the biggest enemy of car bodies. Will see how it goes. Who knows, in 2023 I might still be driving her around with a brand new engine. The wiper switch quit communicating with the wipers just yesterday. She goes to the dealer tomorrow. I'm not mad, she's 11 years old now, I have to allow for a few things to act up."

It's not a Jeep, it's a Chrysler with a Jeep logo

By on Sunday, December 13, 2015

Pros: "Been very reliable,Withstood a hard rear collision"

Cons: "All window regs went bad. Gas mileage poor"

"This vehicle has been very reliable. Was involved in 2 collisions where it was hit in the rear, with minimal damage to the vehicle. The drivers seating area is a little tight for taller drivers and the seat does not go back far enough. The worst thing about this Jeep is the window regulators. I have had to have them replaced twice (All of them)"

Excellent value; DOES ride like a jeep

By on Monday, March 09, 2015

Pros: "see above"

"4WD gets you around even on icy snow conditions (of course, not on ice alone). Rides kinda rough but better tires helped this. DID have repeated problems with emission system; orig catalytic converter was from CA, which initially contributed to confusion of getting the appropriate replacement. I don't know if it's faulty design but , for the last 2-3 years, I've had to replace cat or 02 sensors, ea year, to pass emissions (seems that this might be attributable to not getting to the cause of the problem, however, in my opinion). The seats stain TERRIBLY, even with water, which is asinine for a JEEP but I still feel like the benefit of being able to get around places that others cant (secondary to 4WD and V6, the room to haul my consignment finds, and longevity make this a great value. Plus , it's cute"

GREAT SUV for both men AND women....FUN TO DRIVE!!

By on Monday, December 31, 2012

Pros: "Very economically priced, compared to most suvs."

Cons: "Gas mileage not good.....so not for long trips!"

"I own a 2005 Sport 4x4 Liberty, {Light khaki}It seats 5 comfortably. If I ever purchase another suv, I will buy another Liberty. I have approximately 70,000 miles on it. I have kept the oil changed every 5000 miles. I am about to replace the brake pads for the first time. Other than that, absolutely no repairs. I love the size, comfort,exterior and the interior. I have leather seats and it looks almost new. The exterior is like new as well. It is perfect for all terrains and handles great in city and offroad. It is fairly light weight, so I take caution at higher speeds. I wish it was a little heavier. As long as you drive the speed limits, it handles very well. I would not recommend high speeds for a liberty. This is a wonderful suv for the city, in all weather conditions. Your vision perimeters are very good, much better than most suvs. It is very safe to drive. It is a medium sized suv, which is perfect for me, as I am a petite woman. I wouldn't trade it for anything. It is a good vehicle for teens as Jeep designs never grow old. They are timeless vehicles."

I love this jeep!

By on Monday, September 10, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive."

Cons: "Power windows malfunction."

"So fun to drive! I have had this car for 5 years. No mechanical issues at all. I'm passing it on to my daughter. The only problem is with the back power window motors. Both have gone out on this car. Not a major issue, but a bit of an inconvenience. I'm currently looking for a newer model, but not real crazy about the newer body style. Overall, one of my favorite cars I've ever owned."