2005 Jeep Liberty

7.9

Based on 1293 Ratings for the 2002 - 2007 models.

We have bonded.

By on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pros: "A champion on slick ice and snow."

Cons: "Burns a lot of gas."

"I originally thought this was a not quite up to speed. Over the years I have learned to really enjoy and respect this car. It loves ice and snow. It has been reliable and not needed an a lot of repairs. We have 160,000 miles on it and plan to go over 200,000. I am even thinking about buying another one or similar someday. Some people don't think the Liberty is a real Jeep, you don't know what you are missing. My primary negative issue is the mileage. It may dream of 20/mpg but it is doubtful it will ever get there."

comfy 4-wheel drive

By on Monday, November 05, 2012

Pros: "4-wheel drive, reliable, rugged, comfortable"

Cons: "power windows"

"I wasn't initially sold on driving a Liberty... I previously owned a Wrangler and enjoyed the fact that it didn't have a lot of extras (or any for that matter). However, the Liberty has definitely out done the Wrangler. It is rugged enough to handle the roads where I live (I require 4-wheel drive daily), yet has the comforts of a car. It has also lasted 217,000 miles and counting. This vehicle is comfortable for city, highway, and off road/gravel road driving (all of which I do regularly). The Liberty is also comfortable and spacious for passengers. I love everything about this vehicle, with one exception, the power windows, which are guaranteed to go out."

Extremely reliable motor & transmission; 7-years +

By on Thursday, April 10, 2014

Pros: "Dependable transportation & occassional hauling"

Cons: "would have liked better mileage, but was OK"

"Extremely reliable motor & transmission. In over 110,000 miles, my Jeep Liberty has required nothing more than regular maintenance, which I always expected to provide. For Iowa winters with much ice and snow, the shift into 4-wheel drive has made it dependable in all kinds of weather. The trade off is that gas mileage suffers in 4-wheel drive mode. Most driving on paved roads is with 2-wheel traction and gets 18-19 miles per gallon. The front bucket seats have been very supportive for long trips. The tight turning radius has also allowed me to do a quick u-turn (traffic permitting!) on standard width roadways if I missed a turn in unfamiliar areas. Some people might complain that the ride can be a little jumpy, but it never bothered me. I was driving a Jeep and I liked how it felt to drive."

Has been a good vehicle with limited repairs need

By on Monday, September 02, 2013

Pros: "Gets around great in winter, and fun to drive"

Cons: "poor gas milage, bubble up rust by 3rd brake light"

Libby at home

"The gas milage is just as rated unfortunately, as this has been a great vehicle. I am ready for my 3rd set of tires. I still have the original brakes on it, but will need replacing soon. I like to service a vehicle myself and the Liberty is easy to service. Otherwise I have had a water pump, battery, belt, and spark plugs and wires replaced. The transmission has also been serviced every 30k miles. Hope to pass this vehicle to my daughter next year."

Libby at home

Great vehicle for almost anyone imaginable

By on Sunday, March 10, 2013

Pros: "Practical in design inside and out, great Jeep"

Cons: "maybe small seating, no 3 adults in back"

"About three years ago I began looking for my first real car, besides the one that I was basically assigned from my parents when I began to drive. I knew I wanted a truck or SUV, and ultimately decided a SUV-like car was best for me. After looking for many months I decided a Jeep what what I wanted and soon zoned in on trynig to find a Liberty that was only a few years old. I came across my black 2006 Liberty Limited on an online site (Carmax) and after carefully studying it decided it was what I wanted and had it shipped to my nearest location since it was in Tampa, FL. I can say after a few years of owning the Liberty I am extremely proud of my choice, it is very reliable (never had any mechanical issues, although I regularly check everything to make sure to catch things ahead) it is very practical, an SUV-ish style but not a huge honker that takes up the road, parking space, or drains gas, and finally I may be biased but I still believe this particular style around '04-'07 is one of the best looking on the road. Interior is practical in setup, but I will ad that the seating of 5 is not for five adults, maybe just four- however I usually only have two at the most and carry my luggage, etc in the rear seats anyway. It has a very large truck space for what it may look like from outside and laying the back seats down theres not many everyday items you couldn't fit in there. A great vehicle I would recomend for any everyday driver. In saying that I mean basically anyone who doesn't need their car for a particular purpose such as construction work, or something you have to put 4 carseats in. If you are somewhat interested in the car, and find one in good shape I don't think you can go wrong."

Most Reliable Ever-Why Stop Making Them?

By on Friday, October 11, 2013

Pros: "Perfect Size. Safety Wonderful. Power Excellent."

Cons: "No cons."

"I have been searching for a replacement Jeep Liberty Limited and was SO disappointed that they are no longer made. Be Fuddled actually. Perfect Size. Safety Wonderful. Power Excellent. Bottom Line: If I wasn't such a Jeep fan I would seek another make of vehicle. Before knowing Jeep stopped making the Libertys I would have recommended and HAVE recommended highly. But now? How can I recommend a vehicle that is no longer manufactured? Will leave that as a blank."

A reliable vehicle with great capabilities

By on Saturday, August 31, 2013

Pros: "Great price, plenty of power, goood fuel milage"

Cons: "Ground clearance for some occasions"

"One of the best vehicle I have owned. 84K trouble free miles. Reliable 23-25 mpg. Capable for my hunting and fishing in remote areas. Adequate storage behind seats, could be better but it works. I tend to drive on highway at speed of 60-65 MPH, which likely helps with the milage. No rattles or squeaks at this point, which I consider amazing given where I drive it. My third Jeep and intend to keep driving them. I am a retired Military Officer, hunt and fish a lot."

amazing vehicle

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

Pros: "Unbelievable jeep to drive"

Cons: "Gas is so so. 12 to 23 mpg Summer/winter"

"well in Aug. of 2014 I will have owned this jeep for two years. I've driven through snow that is just at the bottom of my bumper. I've done a lot of towing up north and on four-wheeler trails for logging. This little jeep is an unbelievable machine. I think the ride it is very comfy, and that's after a few hours of driving. It holds 5 adults well, plus two dogs in the back. One dog is 60 lbs and the other is 180 lbs Mastiff. Now the gas is the only thing on this vehicle that is tough sometimes. First the jeep stock tires are 215. I have 245's on mine. That's 6% bigger than you should go. I have how ever got up to 23 mpg in the summer. Winter time I'm around 12 to 14 depending on sandbags and using 4 high. So if you keep up with maintenance and take good care and don't mind 13 to 20 mpg on average. You should love this vehicle. Enjoy the Jeep!"

Won't settle for less

By on Monday, August 13, 2012

Pros: "Spacious, affordable repairs, great in snow!"

Cons: "I honestly can't think of any."

"Hello, I have owned my 2003, unlimited sports, 4x4 for over six years now. I have accumlated over 200,500 miles and it still goes strong. The motor has recently started knocking, but this is too be expected. The only other two problems I have had is (hope I spell this right), sham-calf sensor and (which was around $25 to repair with lifetime warranty) and that thing that holds your cold air, has a fan. I don't know what it is, but it cost $140 to repair (I got the part from a junk yard). That is the only two expensives, besides breaks, tires, oil changes. The handling had always been wonderful, perfect in the snow. Spacious for road trips, easily fit my three kids and 125 lb. dog. I am going to get the motor rebuilt in the next year,I plan on buying a new one for myself and give my other one to one of my children. I do not plan on buying any vehicles other than Jeep Liberty's for the remainder of my life. Great suv!! I give it a 10 all the way. (Was going to upload a picture, but all I have. have my children in them. But its just like the picture above, but black)."

Jeep Liberty 2004

By on Tuesday, December 16, 2008

"I now have 125,000 miles on my 2004 Liberty Limited (Bought new) and it is as strong as ever. Still have the original brake pads on! The only problem I have had was when the Jeep was 4 years old at 116,000 mile I had to replace the driver side power window cable. On the interstate I get 23 MPG (2WD/V6/Auto) and average 21 MPG mixed."

great vehicle

By on Friday, November 14, 2008

"I have a 2005 Liberty. It is the perfect size SUV for those wanting the benefits of an SUV with a vehicle that is a breeze to handle in crowded parking lots or busy city streets. It sits high off the ground, plows through snow better than 4x4 trucks I've owned, and is generally very comfortable. The only downside is gas mileage is right around 20-21 mpg. Great car, will keep mine till it dies."

Great diesel needs more torque at high speeds

By on Monday, July 23, 2007

"Being European I have been driving Diesel cars for many years. Over the last 10 years performance has improved drastically. In many cases the diesel versions are stronger and faster than their petrol twins. 0-62 mph within 10 seconds and top speeds above 120 mph are normal for regular cars. SUV’s like the Liberty accelerate slightly slower and have lower top speeds (± 100mph). The Liberty Diesel is a vehicle that has great torque at lower speeds and I really like the way it drives (interstate as well as driving on local gravel roads). A bit more noise that his petrol twin (3.7L), but still acceptable and nowhere near the noise of the heavy duty trucks (nor the smell either, actually). One entertaining side effect of the car are the surprised looks on gets from other folks when you are parked between the big rigs when topping up the tank. I have been asked more than once if I was aware that I poured diesel in the car. This Liberty Diesel is also great for towing a 2-horse bumper pull trailer. Being European, I really like the Benderup trailers that have a different rather fool proof braking system. Mileage is acceptable (25mpg) for US standards and it is nice to see after previously driving a Dodge RAM with a HEMI (11mgp) Even though the diesel liberty is more responsive that its petrol twin, at highway speeds it takes occasionally a little bit more time for the car to react to the accelerator. I have to admit that I am used to a lot of torque even in the highest gear at high speeds of 70mph and higher (VW & BMW, Volvo with stick shift driving), but this Liberty has to shift to lower gears, therefore it is required to press the accelerator a bit more aggressive and deeper than one is used to. Possibly also an effect of the automatic transmission. Turning radius is also really acceptable with 35.9 ft (11 meters) which is a foot less when compared to a car like the Chrysler PT Cruiser. When installing a hands free phone kit, I noticed that there is little room and a lot of plastic in the car, but it all is installed in a way that it does not squeak or rattle. The plastic interior does neither look classy nor tacky. With the leather seats in the plastic dashboard looks a little bit cheap, but still acceptable. All aspects combined I do like the car and the way it is driving."

easy to drive

By on Saturday, March 02, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, fuel economy"

Cons: "too small for a big man like me"

"Excellent highway MPG- 29+ depending on road speed (30+ at 69 mph) and conditions. Easy to mananuver in traffic or off-road as the occassion may call for. HOwever for the very tall- 6' plus and in my case also a big guy it can be a bit cramped. This is the top rated SUV in it's class and for good reason!! I bought it Oct 1 2005 as a 2006 model. The engine has plenty of torque and loves to be driven on the interstate."

GREAT SUV for both men AND women....FUN TO DRIVE!!

By on Monday, December 31, 2012

Pros: "Very economically priced, compared to most suvs."

Cons: "Gas mileage not good.....so not for long trips!"

"I own a 2005 Sport 4x4 Liberty, {Light khaki}It seats 5 comfortably. If I ever purchase another suv, I will buy another Liberty. I have approximately 70,000 miles on it. I have kept the oil changed every 5000 miles. I am about to replace the brake pads for the first time. Other than that, absolutely no repairs. I love the size, comfort,exterior and the interior. I have leather seats and it looks almost new. The exterior is like new as well. It is perfect for all terrains and handles great in city and offroad. It is fairly light weight, so I take caution at higher speeds. I wish it was a little heavier. As long as you drive the speed limits, it handles very well. I would not recommend high speeds for a liberty. This is a wonderful suv for the city, in all weather conditions. Your vision perimeters are very good, much better than most suvs. It is very safe to drive. It is a medium sized suv, which is perfect for me, as I am a petite woman. I wouldn't trade it for anything. It is a good vehicle for teens as Jeep designs never grow old. They are timeless vehicles."

Bought new with o miles.

By on Sunday, December 02, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, seating position, reliability"

Cons: "power windows"

"I bought this vehicle new on a whim and have come to decide it's probably the best vehicle I've ever owned. Aside from the power window system (troublesome), it's been flawless. I got 87,000 miles out of the original brakes and the "troublesome" front end has to date not been an issue...it's all still original. The radiator recently sprung a leak and will need to be replaced soon, but in a salt using state, I don't think that's bad."

I love this jeep!

By on Monday, September 10, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive."

Cons: "Power windows malfunction."

"So fun to drive! I have had this car for 5 years. No mechanical issues at all. I'm passing it on to my daughter. The only problem is with the back power window motors. Both have gone out on this car. Not a major issue, but a bit of an inconvenience. I'm currently looking for a newer model, but not real crazy about the newer body style. Overall, one of my favorite cars I've ever owned."

Nice Jeep, except for the stupid windows!

By on Sunday, September 02, 2012

Pros: "looks great"

Cons: "7 window regulators in <60K miles"

"I have the 2006 with 60K miles. I have the Limited version that is all leathered out and loaded with all the options except 4 wheel drive. I have owned more than a few cars and trucks in my life. This is not anywhere near my favorate. This one is fine for around town, but by the time I drive 250 miles in this thing my backside actually hurts. It rides ROUGH! It has never left me by the side of the road, but that actually surprises me after all the trouble I have had. The V6 runs great and I have never had any transmission or other mechanical problems. But I have paid out $1300 to repair the power sunroof. And the windows! SEVEN, count them, 7 window regulators in 60K miles. This baby has spend a total of TWO MONTHS in the shop keeping the freakin windows moving! It look really good in the drive, but it will look even better when it's in someone else's drive."

i love my jeep!

By on Thursday, July 19, 2012

Pros: "great reliability"

Cons: "poor gas mileage"

"I am the epitome of a proud jeep owner! i have been driving this car for six years (was my parents before) and it still runs beautifully. i am a recent college grad and learned to drive with this car. I plan to drive this until I graduate law school!"

272,000 and still going strong.

By on Sunday, November 27, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, easy access, plenty of room."

"We bought this Liberty new with 8 miles on it. We have put 272,000 miles on it so far and it is still going strong. Of course last year we wound up putting a new alternator, water pump, and starter switch on it but nothing major. I think that is pretty good for a vehicle with that many miles on. At 240,00 miles we took it to Indiana with out a worry. A great vehicle that I would recommand to anybody. People think it is newer then 2003 because we keep it so clean and they are amazed at the millage. Have fun with yours."

lemon

By on Wednesday, June 30, 2010

"Engine had to be replaced after a year, Had the front brakes replaced because the calipers blew out and froze which caused the front brakes to go bad. 12 months/10k miles later the front brakes were squealing again. Grinding noises coming from underneath the vehicle. Every few months something else is wrong with it. no longer under warranty which makes it even worse."

Good vehicle

By on Saturday, August 11, 2007

"I have really loved my Liberty. It could have a bit bigger of a back seat, with the wheel wells not so close to where you need to get in/out. The only "problem" that I have had is the occasional hydroplaning and spinning out when the road starts to get wet. My gas mileage has been pretty good for a SUV, I usually get right at about 20 mpg. It's fun to drive."

06 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD

By on Monday, July 23, 2007

"We traded-in our 04 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mt Edition 3.7 for a used 06 Liberty Limited CRD. The CRD's diesel engine and 5-speed automatic tranny correct all the short-comings of the underpowered gasoline powered V-6 and make this a wonderful vehicle for long-distance trips and towing. On 2 recent long-distance trips (Oklahoma to Las Vegas, NV & Las Vegas to Idaho) our CRD averaged 25 mpg (with cruise control mostly set at 78 mph). It just loafs up the long grades and the auto tranny never shifted down from 5th!"

LOVE MY CRD

By on Thursday, July 19, 2007

"I have a 2006 CRD (4 cylinder diesel). I absolutely love it, and would buy one all over again. Tight turning radius, good ride, very good visibility for driver, pretty spacious for a small SUV, flexible usage with rear-fold-down seats (1/3-2/3). Tow package is great and the diesel does pretty well on mileage (I get from 22-27). My mileage does drop when towing of course depending on the load. Even has decent leg room in the back seats. I was a little disappointed with Jeep in that this vehicle has had 3 recalls, but the Jeep dealer took care of them all and I had no problem. Apparently Jeep only made the Liberty in the CRD for two years, and I understand they sold beyond expectations. I absolutely love mine and would highly recommend the CRD. Oil changes are expensive with 00-40W Mobil One synthetic, but I hope to get that back in longevity. LOVE MY CRD!"

By on Thursday, July 12, 2007

"Bought a top of the line Liberty '02 second hand with around 20k on it. So far I've put another 35K on it and the car runs perfectly. Solid and agile car. Turning radius is much smaller than PT cruiser, for example, which is small car in comparison. And Jeep is a 4 wheel drive. Only complaints that I have are the hig gas consumption and regurlar brake pad replacements."

Overall Great, Poor Seat Fabric, Window Issue

By on Tuesday, April 10, 2007

"The car handles great and is very comfortable. Folding rear seat allows large items. The fabric on the seat very EASILY STAIN with as little as a water drip. Had problem with the driver's window "falling off the track". Had to have it serviced twice and a separate track put in due to design flaw. Overall great, fun vehicle, despite irritation from window and seats."