2003 Jeep Liberty

7.9

Based on 1282 Ratings for the 2002 - 2007 models.

fun and capable but spartan

By on Sunday, September 21, 2008

"we bought our liberty 2 years ago and put 20,000 miles on it. overall we,ve enjoyed owning it. as our family vehicle it is only adequate we have 2 kids and going on family outing require some creative packing. highway cruising is good enough. the seats are just okay, however around town is fine. the liberty is nimble and has a sharp turning radius so its easy to get around the mall parking lot. my wife who isnt comfortable in large vehicles is perfectly fine in this one. while its a small suv its a relatively capable one. in winter driving my wife loves the 4WD and the stability it offers. i think it is good until the snow gets deep. 10" of snow will test the liberty 12" will stop it! im not talking about a snow drift i mean 12" on the ground. of course i dont think that any other small suv would fare any better. also better tires than the factory eagles would help a lot. for fun in the dirt its surprisingly capable! we do some trail riding with ours and it handles uneven terrain like a champ. this vehicle major drawback is ground clearance. as long as the tires are touching the ground she will do respectably. we are content with the highway mileage, we get 22-24 depending on our speed and outher factors. on one 350 mile round trip i managed to get 24.2. but my wife can never do better than 22....not sure why that is:) i am impressed with the torque of this engine even if it is a little loud in the cab. its not particularly quick but its quick enough and the torque is wonderful for pulling a tralier or playing outdoors. in 4WD in deep sand you'll only need keep your toe on the throttle, not floor it like so many other suv's. we havent had any mechanical issues except for the u-joints on the driveshaft, however they were covered under warranty."

Bulletproof Daily Driver

By on Sunday, September 29, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, easy to fix/maintain."

Cons: "Mileage, but it's a Jeep - MPG LOL!"

"I bought my 2002 Jeep Liberty used to serve as my daily driver after buying a new Challenger earlier this year. I wanted the 2nd car to be the opposite of my Challenger, so I decided on a small SUV for it's cargo hauling and towing capacities. Fuel mileage became a secondary concern. Before settling on the Liberty, I scouted out Honda CRV's and Toyota RAV4's, but neither of those "cute Ute's" really filled the bill. Aside from timing belt issues, both the Honda and Toyota SUV's seemed too small, flimsy, and underpowered. After learning that the Jeep Liberty came with a 3.7L V6 (engineered with a timing chain) and a 5000 lb towing capacity, the cute Utes fell out of consideration altogether. To make the deal even sweeter, private sale used Jeeps were priced economically compared to the Honda and Toyota offerings. First generation CRV's and RAV4's are priced the same as Liberty's, the difference is that you can buy a 2002 - 2004 Jeep for the same price you would pay for a 1997 - 1999 CRV or RAV4. The engine is going strong with 152000 miles on the odometer with the alternator and water pump as the only major engine component replacements. The blower fan resistor had to be replaced, but I was able to do that on my own. The Liberty is home-mechanic friendly and many components can be maintained or repaired by most owners with elementary mechanical skills. Acceleration is brisk and smooth, although the 2nd gear is a tad tall. Braking is smooth as well with no clutching or skipping due to the Liberty's large rotors and drums. The frame and body are stiff and reduce a lot of the jarring or bouncy ride most people associate with Jeeps. Short side panels made of high tensile steel make the Liberty's sheet metal more resistant to door dings. The cabin is tall and upright increasing traffic visibility while relieving body-ache in the back and lower extremities. Vehicle entry is the easiest of any car I've owned. I am 6' tall and I find it effortless to swing into the Liberty. Ample ground clearance makes it a breeze to work underneath the carriage and makes rolling over speed bumps or pulling up to curbs a nonexistent concern."

You get what you payed for...

By on Thursday, August 16, 2007

"The Jeep Liberty has been a good vehicle for me and my two kids (8-6) but it has had its points that you need to know before you pinch that last penny. The interior cloth is one of the worst I have seen in a vehicle. If you get it wet with water it shows as if it were a stain. It takes cleaning the whole seat to get it out once it is there. Another thing is the leg space in the driver side pedal area. I am not a large person but I am tall...I caution you if you are a tall person think twice about purchasing this it just puts your legs in a awkward postion for long trips. It really starts to become uncomfortable. The window switch is in the center and it looks neat but when you are getting out of the Jeep you will lock youself in more often then not because the switch on the door is to lock it. The last thing as a mother I have to caution is the cup holders in the back seat are on the door. If you plan on using them then you must plan on cleaning the door off because it causes the drink to splash out on the door. I know that all other reports you will look at will be on all of the good things so I thought I would show you some faults."

No major issues here!

By on Friday, February 01, 2013

Pros: "style, safety and reliability"

"I have owned my Liberty Limited 4x4 since new in 2007. I have 125k miles and have only had to replace brakes at 90k and have replaced tires twice. Window regulators have broken on every window (some twice) but replaced by Jeep at no cost (they have a 7year/unlimited miles warranty from Jeep). A little inconvient but easy fix. This Liberty has been 100% reliable with no real issues to date. I would buy another in a second! Anyone who says it isn't reliable in wet weather needs to replace their factory tires. I had slipping issues at first but once I replaced the tires my Liberty stuck to the road! Also, anyone complaining about the gas mileage obviously didn't read the sticker - there should be no shock at the low mpg - the known price for owning a Liberty. Personally, I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who wants a smaller suv that has offroad capability and Jeep style. I couldn't be happier with my American made purchase. Here is hoping for another 125k miles!"

We have bonded.

By on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pros: "A champion on slick ice and snow."

Cons: "Burns a lot of gas."

"I originally thought this was a not quite up to speed. Over the years I have learned to really enjoy and respect this car. It loves ice and snow. It has been reliable and not needed an a lot of repairs. We have 160,000 miles on it and plan to go over 200,000. I am even thinking about buying another one or similar someday. Some people don't think the Liberty is a real Jeep, you don't know what you are missing. My primary negative issue is the mileage. It may dream of 20/mpg but it is doubtful it will ever get there."