2003 Jeep Liberty

7.9

Based on 1286 Ratings for the 2002 - 2007 models.

fun and capable but spartan

By on Sunday, September 21, 2008

"we bought our liberty 2 years ago and put 20,000 miles on it. overall we,ve enjoyed owning it. as our family vehicle it is only adequate we have 2 kids and going on family outing require some creative packing. highway cruising is good enough. the seats are just okay, however around town is fine. the liberty is nimble and has a sharp turning radius so its easy to get around the mall parking lot. my wife who isnt comfortable in large vehicles is perfectly fine in this one. while its a small suv its a relatively capable one. in winter driving my wife loves the 4WD and the stability it offers. i think it is good until the snow gets deep. 10" of snow will test the liberty 12" will stop it! im not talking about a snow drift i mean 12" on the ground. of course i dont think that any other small suv would fare any better. also better tires than the factory eagles would help a lot. for fun in the dirt its surprisingly capable! we do some trail riding with ours and it handles uneven terrain like a champ. this vehicle major drawback is ground clearance. as long as the tires are touching the ground she will do respectably. we are content with the highway mileage, we get 22-24 depending on our speed and outher factors. on one 350 mile round trip i managed to get 24.2. but my wife can never do better than 22....not sure why that is:) i am impressed with the torque of this engine even if it is a little loud in the cab. its not particularly quick but its quick enough and the torque is wonderful for pulling a tralier or playing outdoors. in 4WD in deep sand you'll only need keep your toe on the throttle, not floor it like so many other suv's. we havent had any mechanical issues except for the u-joints on the driveshaft, however they were covered under warranty."

No major issues here!

By on Friday, February 01, 2013

Pros: "style, safety and reliability"

"I have owned my Liberty Limited 4x4 since new in 2007. I have 125k miles and have only had to replace brakes at 90k and have replaced tires twice. Window regulators have broken on every window (some twice) but replaced by Jeep at no cost (they have a 7year/unlimited miles warranty from Jeep). A little inconvient but easy fix. This Liberty has been 100% reliable with no real issues to date. I would buy another in a second! Anyone who says it isn't reliable in wet weather needs to replace their factory tires. I had slipping issues at first but once I replaced the tires my Liberty stuck to the road! Also, anyone complaining about the gas mileage obviously didn't read the sticker - there should be no shock at the low mpg - the known price for owning a Liberty. Personally, I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who wants a smaller suv that has offroad capability and Jeep style. I couldn't be happier with my American made purchase. Here is hoping for another 125k miles!"

We have bonded.

By on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pros: "A champion on slick ice and snow."

Cons: "Burns a lot of gas."

"I originally thought this was a not quite up to speed. Over the years I have learned to really enjoy and respect this car. It loves ice and snow. It has been reliable and not needed an a lot of repairs. We have 160,000 miles on it and plan to go over 200,000. I am even thinking about buying another one or similar someday. Some people don't think the Liberty is a real Jeep, you don't know what you are missing. My primary negative issue is the mileage. It may dream of 20/mpg but it is doubtful it will ever get there."

Libby never lets me down

By on Friday, August 03, 2007

"I bought my 2004 Liberty "Libby" in 2005 used and it hasn't skipped a beat and never lets me down. I live in a rural area that gets a lot of snow and ice and the 4WD piles through the muck without flinching. I'm a mobile DJ and my equipment fits nicely into the back with easy in/out loading. Sure there has been a recall on the ball joints - but I got the girl's oil changed at the same time I got the ball joints replaced so it was really no big deal. Only downfall I have experienced so far is the back end seems skiddish around corners on wet conditions. Fish tails easy if you're not driving careful. If taking off on a slightly wet incline you'll spin out - so you have to pop it into 4WD if you're entering a busy street so that you don't halt traffic. Factory tires that come with it are a bit rough - changing out the tires gave me a smoother ride. Resale/Trade-In value sinks like dead weight so I only gave it 3 stars for that. Overall - very pleased - I can climb through the roughest of terrains or shine her up and drive her out on the town."

Quarter million miles...runs like a champ!

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, comfortable, versatile, 4WD V6"

Cons: "Low MPG"

"We bought a 2003 Jeep Liberty in 2006. We live in Maryland have driven all over the east coast - from Maine to Miami (many times). We live in a rural area where 4WD is a must, but due everything being 10 miles away (or more), the mileage bites. The Liberty has been more than reliable - we have done nothing more than routine maintenance. The *only* negative points are the low mileage (we did spend more on gas-saving tires, and now get 22 MPG highway, up from 20), the relatively loud interior, and the small space. We also own a 2007 Wrangler (not a fan of the Wrangler from a comfort perspective, but that is for another review!) Unless we meet with an accident, I fully expect to be driving this up to 500,000 miles or more - this one is a keeper!"