2003 Jeep Liberty

7.9

Based on 1293 Ratings for the 2002 - 2007 models.

We have bonded.

By on Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pros: "A champion on slick ice and snow."

Cons: "Burns a lot of gas."

"I originally thought this was a not quite up to speed. Over the years I have learned to really enjoy and respect this car. It loves ice and snow. It has been reliable and not needed an a lot of repairs. We have 160,000 miles on it and plan to go over 200,000. I am even thinking about buying another one or similar someday. Some people don't think the Liberty is a real Jeep, you don't know what you are missing. My primary negative issue is the mileage. It may dream of 20/mpg but it is doubtful it will ever get there."

comfy 4-wheel drive

By on Monday, November 05, 2012

Pros: "4-wheel drive, reliable, rugged, comfortable"

Cons: "power windows"

"I wasn't initially sold on driving a Liberty... I previously owned a Wrangler and enjoyed the fact that it didn't have a lot of extras (or any for that matter). However, the Liberty has definitely out done the Wrangler. It is rugged enough to handle the roads where I live (I require 4-wheel drive daily), yet has the comforts of a car. It has also lasted 217,000 miles and counting. This vehicle is comfortable for city, highway, and off road/gravel road driving (all of which I do regularly). The Liberty is also comfortable and spacious for passengers. I love everything about this vehicle, with one exception, the power windows, which are guaranteed to go out."

Extremely reliable motor & transmission; 7-years +

By on Thursday, April 10, 2014

Pros: "Dependable transportation & occassional hauling"

Cons: "would have liked better mileage, but was OK"

"Extremely reliable motor & transmission. In over 110,000 miles, my Jeep Liberty has required nothing more than regular maintenance, which I always expected to provide. For Iowa winters with much ice and snow, the shift into 4-wheel drive has made it dependable in all kinds of weather. The trade off is that gas mileage suffers in 4-wheel drive mode. Most driving on paved roads is with 2-wheel traction and gets 18-19 miles per gallon. The front bucket seats have been very supportive for long trips. The tight turning radius has also allowed me to do a quick u-turn (traffic permitting!) on standard width roadways if I missed a turn in unfamiliar areas. Some people might complain that the ride can be a little jumpy, but it never bothered me. I was driving a Jeep and I liked how it felt to drive."

Has been a good vehicle with limited repairs need

By on Monday, September 02, 2013

Pros: "Gets around great in winter, and fun to drive"

Cons: "poor gas milage, bubble up rust by 3rd brake light"

Libby at home

"The gas milage is just as rated unfortunately, as this has been a great vehicle. I am ready for my 3rd set of tires. I still have the original brakes on it, but will need replacing soon. I like to service a vehicle myself and the Liberty is easy to service. Otherwise I have had a water pump, battery, belt, and spark plugs and wires replaced. The transmission has also been serviced every 30k miles. Hope to pass this vehicle to my daughter next year."

Libby at home

Great vehicle for almost anyone imaginable

By on Sunday, March 10, 2013

Pros: "Practical in design inside and out, great Jeep"

Cons: "maybe small seating, no 3 adults in back"

"About three years ago I began looking for my first real car, besides the one that I was basically assigned from my parents when I began to drive. I knew I wanted a truck or SUV, and ultimately decided a SUV-like car was best for me. After looking for many months I decided a Jeep what what I wanted and soon zoned in on trynig to find a Liberty that was only a few years old. I came across my black 2006 Liberty Limited on an online site (Carmax) and after carefully studying it decided it was what I wanted and had it shipped to my nearest location since it was in Tampa, FL. I can say after a few years of owning the Liberty I am extremely proud of my choice, it is very reliable (never had any mechanical issues, although I regularly check everything to make sure to catch things ahead) it is very practical, an SUV-ish style but not a huge honker that takes up the road, parking space, or drains gas, and finally I may be biased but I still believe this particular style around '04-'07 is one of the best looking on the road. Interior is practical in setup, but I will ad that the seating of 5 is not for five adults, maybe just four- however I usually only have two at the most and carry my luggage, etc in the rear seats anyway. It has a very large truck space for what it may look like from outside and laying the back seats down theres not many everyday items you couldn't fit in there. A great vehicle I would recomend for any everyday driver. In saying that I mean basically anyone who doesn't need their car for a particular purpose such as construction work, or something you have to put 4 carseats in. If you are somewhat interested in the car, and find one in good shape I don't think you can go wrong."