2002 Jeep Liberty

7.9

Based on 1293 Ratings for the 2002 - 2007 models.

Jeep Liberty 2004

By on Tuesday, December 16, 2008

"I now have 125,000 miles on my 2004 Liberty Limited (Bought new) and it is as strong as ever. Still have the original brake pads on! The only problem I have had was when the Jeep was 4 years old at 116,000 mile I had to replace the driver side power window cable. On the interstate I get 23 MPG (2WD/V6/Auto) and average 21 MPG mixed."

great vehicle

By on Friday, November 14, 2008

"I have a 2005 Liberty. It is the perfect size SUV for those wanting the benefits of an SUV with a vehicle that is a breeze to handle in crowded parking lots or busy city streets. It sits high off the ground, plows through snow better than 4x4 trucks I've owned, and is generally very comfortable. The only downside is gas mileage is right around 20-21 mpg. Great car, will keep mine till it dies."

Great diesel needs more torque at high speeds

By on Monday, July 23, 2007

"Being European I have been driving Diesel cars for many years. Over the last 10 years performance has improved drastically. In many cases the diesel versions are stronger and faster than their petrol twins. 0-62 mph within 10 seconds and top speeds above 120 mph are normal for regular cars. SUV’s like the Liberty accelerate slightly slower and have lower top speeds (± 100mph). The Liberty Diesel is a vehicle that has great torque at lower speeds and I really like the way it drives (interstate as well as driving on local gravel roads). A bit more noise that his petrol twin (3.7L), but still acceptable and nowhere near the noise of the heavy duty trucks (nor the smell either, actually). One entertaining side effect of the car are the surprised looks on gets from other folks when you are parked between the big rigs when topping up the tank. I have been asked more than once if I was aware that I poured diesel in the car. This Liberty Diesel is also great for towing a 2-horse bumper pull trailer. Being European, I really like the Benderup trailers that have a different rather fool proof braking system. Mileage is acceptable (25mpg) for US standards and it is nice to see after previously driving a Dodge RAM with a HEMI (11mgp) Even though the diesel liberty is more responsive that its petrol twin, at highway speeds it takes occasionally a little bit more time for the car to react to the accelerator. I have to admit that I am used to a lot of torque even in the highest gear at high speeds of 70mph and higher (VW & BMW, Volvo with stick shift driving), but this Liberty has to shift to lower gears, therefore it is required to press the accelerator a bit more aggressive and deeper than one is used to. Possibly also an effect of the automatic transmission. Turning radius is also really acceptable with 35.9 ft (11 meters) which is a foot less when compared to a car like the Chrysler PT Cruiser. When installing a hands free phone kit, I noticed that there is little room and a lot of plastic in the car, but it all is installed in a way that it does not squeak or rattle. The plastic interior does neither look classy nor tacky. With the leather seats in the plastic dashboard looks a little bit cheap, but still acceptable. All aspects combined I do like the car and the way it is driving."

Best car I've ever owned.Very reliable.

By on Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Cons: "Weird dashboard."

"Gets decent gas mileage, great on the highway. Has never let me down.Handles beautifully in all weather conditions.Very roomy.I think the 2004 looks better than newer models, not boxy.I love this vehicle!!!"

easy to drive

By on Saturday, March 02, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, fuel economy"

Cons: "too small for a big man like me"

"Excellent highway MPG- 29+ depending on road speed (30+ at 69 mph) and conditions. Easy to mananuver in traffic or off-road as the occassion may call for. HOwever for the very tall- 6' plus and in my case also a big guy it can be a bit cramped. This is the top rated SUV in it's class and for good reason!! I bought it Oct 1 2005 as a 2006 model. The engine has plenty of torque and loves to be driven on the interstate."