• 2014 Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $43,668 - $44,755.

10/7.6

8.4

Based on 247 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Really like to drive this jeep.

By on Monday, July 21, 2014

Pros: "Great car to drive"

Cons: "The v-8 not good on gas"

"Love the car and nothing I don't like except I got the 5.7 Liter and only get 14.8 miles to gallon around town. That is if I don't get on it sometimes. My son in law has a 2014 Jeep Cherokee like mine with the 6 cylinder and gets 19 around town. My mistake so I will trade in and get the 6."

Worst transmission ever built!

By on Sunday, July 20, 2014

"The worst transmission ever built on the planet!"

Overall ok truck but it has its issues

By on Saturday, July 19, 2014

Reason: horrible transmission

Pros: "Overall a good vehicle"

Cons: "Horrible tranny and gear selector"

"I bought this 2014 Limited in May of 2013 when they first came out. After 25000 miles and owning it for over a year I had to get rid of it. Since the first day I have owned it I did not like the new 8 speed tranny. I took it to the dealer and they did computer upgrades on it but I was still not happy with it. This tranny shifts through the gears very fast and is not smooth in the lower gears. When shifting from 1st to 2nd and 3rd when it is cold the truck jerks forward and is not smooth at all. It also downshifts hard when stopping. The upper gears you don't even feel it shifting, very smooth. When starting the Jeep shifts too quickly and it feels like it is always in the wrong gear if you need to speed up to get moving. The electronic gear shifter is horrible. After owning this Jeep for over a year I still had to concentrate on which gear I was shifting into. I was still putting it in neutral when trying to shift to reverse or drive. Other than those issues the Jeep is a good vehicle and I didn't have any other problems with it. I had the smaller engine and was averaging 20 mpg. I am normally the type of person who keeps their vehicles for 8 to 10 years but I just couldn't take this transmission. I bought a 2014 Charger which I love. This has the 5 speed tranny and not the electronic gear selector as the jeep has. I could have ordered a 2015 but did not want to as the new model has an new 8 speed tranny and also the electronic gear selector. I absolutely love the Charger and I plan on keeping this for a long time. I just couldn't take driving the Grand Cherokee anymore."

love it great ride and handling

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "wish it had more storage"

"had car almost a year. No Problems so far Rides and handles great."

Lots of electrical problems

By on Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Pros: "Beautiful exterior. Really sharp looking."

Cons: "Lags in take off unless in sport mode."

Sharp

"Have had 4 recalls on various items. Still am having electrical issues, like the radio will just go off by itself, there is back static in the radio and I have also had the gauge panel go back several times while driving. The gas mileage is considerably lower than advertised. Also the digital clock does not keep time. I have to go into the settings mode about once a week and add a couple of minutes to get the readout corrected. Maybe it's just haunted. IDK. I have had the Jeep 15 months and am ready to trade for a non Chrysler product."

Sharp

Headache

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

Reason: bad

Pros: "Styling"

Cons: "Everything Else"

"Overall I have to say I had better things to do with my life than nurse this poorly engineered car through the next 5 or more years. Check engine, suspect transmission, groans and creaks, recalls...don't waste your time and then get burned with horrible resale. Got a 4 Runner no rattles, issues or drama... put it in garage and can worry about more important things."

Can't Wait For My Lease To End

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pros: "Bluetooth and XM (Didn't have them on my last car)"

Cons: "Engine, Transmission, Build Quality"

"This is the worst car I have ever had. Coming from my 2006 VW Touareg V8 I feel like I have taken a major step backwards. The car handles like an old Buick and has absolutely no steering response. You feel nothing. The 3.6L Pentastar is noisy and slow. The transmission rushes to eighth gear and G-D forbid you have to merge onto a highway, you need to floor the rattle trap in order to get it to jump down to a passing gear. I can not wait for this car to go back on lease. To add to it the car does not feel safe and is poorly put together. The headliner is sagging with only 600 miles on it and I can already hear creaks. Wish I kept my VW. The Touareg was a real go anywhere SUV, the Jeep is a go-kart in comparison"

Drives and rides good for a small SUV.

By on Thursday, June 19, 2014

Pros: "Looks, ride, performance."

Cons: "Too many recalls, lower quality paint."

"After five recalls in one year it will probably be the last Chrysler product. It's a shame that a vehicle that drives, rides, and looks as good as this one does has so many flaws. Dealer has been very good, shame on the product."

A Pleasure To Own

By on Thursday, June 19, 2014

Pros: "Solid, roomy, classy, luxurous"

Cons: "A little pricey, V8 gas mileage not great"

"It will soon be 3 years that I have owned this vehicle, and except for a fluid leak when the vehicle was new, it has proven to be reliable and safe. I have really enjoyed owning it. It is solid, roomy, classy, and loaded with nice features. I can easily see why it is the most awarded SUV ever! Even though the Hemi V8 is powerful and responsive, I still get about 17 MPG around town. I have no regrets about buying it, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again."

2014 GC Limited with 3.0L Eco Diesel and QT II

By on Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Pros: "Fuel mileage, Gadgets, Ride, Audio system"

Cons: "None so far"

"I have not driven this automobile for very long, I will update this review later, if warranted. But my initial impression is only good. I am getting 25 MPG combined with the diesel engine and the performance is good. It is sometimes slow to accelerate when the 8 speed transmission is in a high gear, but that is easily overcome with more pressure on the accelerator. Shifts are very smooth and I am impressed by the fact that the transmission down shifts, on its own, when going down hill. As for the "costly" urea refills, you can get 2.5 gallons of the stuff at a well known big box store for $12. The DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) filler nozzle is next to the fuel nozzle which makes it easy to refill without going to the dealer, the DEF tank capacity is 8 gallons. This is my second Jeep, my first Jeep was a 2006 Commander, it had the 5.7L Hemi V8. I needed the towing capability, I was happy to see the 3.0L turbo diesel has the same towing capacity. I put 186000 miles on my Commander and the only repair I had to get, besides the normal consumables, was a replacement starter. The reliability of my Commander led me back to Jeep. I gave a 5 to the reliability rating only because I have driven the Grand Cherokee for only 350 miles so far (will update later)."

BEST HIGH END 4X4 ON THE MARKET

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pros: "PAN GLASS MOON ROOF IS HUGE"

Cons: "NO ISSUES"

"I HAVE A 2012 JEEP GC OVERLAND 4X4 5.7L. GREAT LOOKING -GREAT DRIVING.I HAVE OWNED A LEXUS LX450 AND PORSCHE CAYENNE S. THE OVERLAND JEEP IS AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER."

Awesome car - in every way possible.

By on Monday, June 09, 2014

Pros: "Smooth driving and cornering."

"Jeep knew what they were doing when they created this beauty!"

Don't judge the book by its cover

By on Monday, June 09, 2014

"I owned 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland for over a year now. I really love the new look in side and out. It has a lot of fancy little gadgets. Ride is very comfortable and quite. Biggest issue I have was electronics. I had a lot of issues with different sensors and computer. Main screen is very slow on response. Takes couple seconds after you press a button and sometimes even longer."

Multiple Flavors - Jack of All Trades

By on Saturday, June 07, 2014

"Before I tell you about my GC Ltd, Diesel, w/ Off-Road II package, a word of warning about car reviews. There are for this vehicle, six trim levels, four engines, three transmissions and three final drive ratios. What is said about this vehicle may apply to only one combination and even the pro writers may confuse the specs. That said, I enjoy the vehicle immensely. Of course, we're talking diesel here. If you're a performance junky, here's the story. Obviously, the 3.6l is the slowest and the SRT is in a league of its own. However, if all you compare is the 0-60 specs of the 5.7 l Hemi to the diesel, you won't get the full story. As the diesel has more torque and a lower final drive ratio, its probably faster than the hemi in the 0-35 mph range (and you will be impressed). Although I wouldn't say that the shifting is perfect at all times, the diesel/8 speed qualifies as butter smooth. You may read some complaints that the shifter is fussy. What his amounts to is that the détentes are feathered light as are the power window switches. If you hammer at them without thinking, you'll go past where you want. I have had the opportunity to go up a mile long 45 degree slope several times in low gear with the paddle shifters. Effortless fun. Complaints? Had an OBD light come on at 385 miles. Egr bypass control fault attributed to a vacuum line. To be fixed shortly. Upon upgrading UConnect radio software, I lost Bluetooth metadata (presently investigating). And, I wouldn't call the ride quality a luxury vehicle ride. A touch noisy over rough road. However, my vehicle is an off road setup with 18" wheels. My opinion might be different with a Summit trim with 20" wheels. Lastly, I'm exceeding the mpg specs (21/28). Getting 23 in the city and 30 on the highway at 70 mph. Not bad for a 5400 lb vehicle that accelerates like a rocket in it lower gears."

Fantastic vehicle.

By on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Pros: "Lots of gadgets, comfortable, love the Adaptive Cr"

Cons: "No room for golf clubs sideways like the older one"

"We love this GC Overland. I only have 1 gripe so far. My old 2008 GC would fit 4 sets of Golf Clubs sideways. This 2014 is about 6 inches narrower in the rear storage area. Cannot even lay 1 set down sideways. Otherwise it is great and with the 6 cyl is getting overall right at 22MPG. Not bad for a 5000lb. vehicle."

Impressive performance SUV at a reasonable cost

By on Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Pros: "Impressive on the road"

Cons: "Not spectacular gas mileage but expected w/470hp"

"Very impressive 5,000 lb.vehicle. Drives great on the highway and is even more impressive on the track. You definitely trade high mileage for performance characteristics but that is true for its competitors too. Great price for what this SUV can do on the road. Except for a weird shift lever its well designed and a blast to drive. I would purchase it again if I was starting over to search for an SUV."

Awesome SUV for the price

By on Monday, June 02, 2014

"We test drove this along with the Acura MDX (close runner-up), Ford Edge, Ford Explorer, Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Highlander, and Ford Escape. Although there was things I like about all of the vehicles, this was by far the best value for the price. It was also the best looking of the bunch (both inside and out). We frequently get compliments on it. It's been very reliable thus far. The only issue we've had is the storage compartment in the dash kept getting stuck. Once it was fixed (under warranty) it worked perfect! I highly recommend the new Grand Cherokees (2011 or newer) for the combination of good looks, capabilities, and features. We love it!"

Love the Ride but it loves the shop

By on Monday, June 02, 2014

Pros: "Comfort"

Cons: "Loves the service bays"

"I have owned this vehicle for just less than a year. In that time it has had a new rear differential installed, had to have brake work done, most recent was a new oil pressure sending unit and now a safety recall on the brakes. It drives great and is comfortable but the trips to the shop are getting annoying."

very reliable, best 4wd I ever owned

By on Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Pros: "best price for performance"

"very reliable, best 4wd SUV I ever owned"

Downsized from a Chevy Tahoe LT to a Laredo E

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, handles well."

Cons: "Siruis sattelite radio vs XM. Like XM much better"

"Traded in my 2007 Chevy Tahoe LT for a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 16,000 miles on it. I thought I would be disappointed with the smaller size vehicle and I am not. Love the ride, the handle and the room that I have in this vehicle. The gas mileage is awesome since I drive the Parkway to and from work. I am averaging about 20 to 22 miles per gallon according to my fuel economy monitor which is about 7 miles per gallon better than my Tahoe. Love the basic Laredo E package and glad the I don't have bells and whistles on this vehicle. The bluetooth allowed me to pair my phone which is an option I didn't have before. Glad I made the trade--love the vehicle."

Worst Jeep I ever had!

By on Saturday, May 17, 2014

Pros: "Great style and engine pick-up."

Cons: "U-Connect bad, check engine line comes on too much"

"This is my 5th Jeep and I am very disappointed. I have had the SUV in 5 times because the "check engine" light keeps coming on. Also the U-Connect only works about 10% of the time. Very upsetting. Don't know if I will ever buy another one. The dealer says there is nothing they can do about it. Wish Jeep would address the issues. Also gas mileage hasn't improved over the years."

I Love this Jeep!!

By on Monday, May 12, 2014

Cons: "HWY gas Milage"

"I love everything about this Jeep!! Except the gas mileage. It does not get what that the sticker states. HWY I average 18 at the very most."

Update my nov19 & july reviews

By on Monday, April 28, 2014

Pros: "Nice ride"

Cons: "Eco defalt on start up is a pain"

"I have now owned my 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited for 13 months and driven 10,000 miles. The service manager knows my name as I have been a frequent visitor, so far all electrical problems, which they have been able to sort out. A new problem is that when driving after standing overnight the 8 speed transmission shifts VERY hard in 2nd & 3rd until it has warmed up, if feels just like the "old style " shift kit you fitted when you were a kid. The dealer wants me to drop it off, but has not mentioned a software upgrade. The mileage calculator is overestimating by at least 10%, the true gas mileage is 20mpg, not as good as I first thought. Overall I still like this SUV, watch this space."

Range Rover at a $20k discount

By on Monday, April 28, 2014

Pros: "Value, gadgets and comfort + low maint. costs"

Cons: "N-O-N-E"

"My better half has a 2012 RR LR4 HSE....My Jeep beats the pants off it. My Jeep has been up and down the state...great power blends with great MPG. From L.A. to San Fran on one tank. Seats are beyond comfy...no aches or pains....Rain, snow, mud....are child's play. Best stereo...best car ever....had BMW's, Saabs, Volvos, Rovers..beats them all with no $1000 brake jobs.....buy it today!!"

Beautiful red in perfect condition

By on Saturday, April 26, 2014

Pros: "It has never been driven off-road."

Cons: "It is better suited to a larger person that me."

"I love my red Grand Charokee I ordered it built at the factory, and added options that are not even listed here. Unfortunately, due to several knee surgeries in 2012, I am unable to drive any car. I will hate to see it go, but it doesn't do me any good sitting in the garage. Someone will be getting the equivalent of a brand new car because it has rarely been driven."

See if you qualify for