2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee

8.4

Based on 250 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

Could not be happier!

By on Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Pros: "Great ride, responsive handling, technology"

Cons: "Gas mileage ohh well, trunk could be bigger"

"After more than 6,000 miles on my new grand Cherokee it is definitely the best car I have owned and great value for the money! I purchased the V8 hemi version of the overland with the advanced tech package and boy - this thing is smooth! They have thought out a lot of details here really, This time of the year in Michigan it is nice to get the remote working before coming down to the parking lot at work, and the car is all warmed out for you! No issues or hicks what-so-ever. The car moves fast, has great road handling - love the suspension and the tight steering. This is a solid primo car that looks good and is a joy to ride."

Love my diesel

By on Sunday, December 08, 2013

Pros: "MPG, standard features, drives like a car"

"It took 12 weeks for my diesel model to come in but I could not be happier with it. I average 26mpg around town and get approximately 28mpg on the highway. I have had no issues with the UConnect system and it's registration (I did register it). The bluetooth quality is extremely clear and sound system is great. The engine is quiet with plenty of power. It hugs the road better than most SUV's - my husband likes small sports cars and even he likes to drive it! Living in cold NH I love the how the heated seats and steering wheel come on automatically with the remote start. I am extremely happy with this vehicle and would absolutely recommend it to anyone looking for a luxury feel with the fuel efficiency of the diesel."

Update on my previous review from July

By on Thursday, December 05, 2013

Pros: "good looks inside and out. good gas mileage"

Cons: "electronic transmission shifter"

"I am updating my previous review from this past July. Back then I was very disappointed with the transmission in this vehicle. It slipped in lower gears when accelerating and it downshifted so hard that it would pull you forward in the seat when you were slowing down. I at the time had high hopes for loving this truck but was very disappointed. Today I took it back to the dealership where I bought it for a recall. I asked them to check the transmission also. I was made aware that there was a computer upgrade for the transmission which the dealer did. I am now pleased to say that this transmission shifts a lot smoother. The slipping has stopped as well as the hard downshifting. For the first time in the 7 months that I have owned this I am actually happy driving it. I had bought this in May when they first came out. I would assume the new ones already have this update done to them. I still don't like the electronic shifter. I am still missing the right gear at times when shifting. Before I had the tranny updated I was seriously considering getting rid of this but now I plan on keeping it. Overall I am now satisfied with this truck."

not happy

By on Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Pros: "looks pretty, good music sound, roomy"

Cons: "spare tire in car, no CD"

"If I could afford a $10,000 loss, I would just get rid of this car. My computer went out after 3 months. The drivers seat moved and had a knock noise when turning left, the track was replaced. Took several trips in to get fixed. My dash has this rattle. It is so irritating, I turn my music up not to hear it. I still have trouble when turning on the steering wheel heat, it's a hit and miss. When it and the seat warmer goes on, there is a significant click. I am working now with a consultant from the manufacturer. Hopefully we can come to a resolution. I am miserable."

Wish I'd have thought this through....

By on Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Pros: "Solid, stylish, quiet, powerful, sure-footed."

Cons: "Seat adjuster button in very inconvenient place."

"This was my first Jeep and at first I was really impressed with it. It is a very solid vehicle with great styling and trim, excellent turning radius, impressive power and it's quiet. I really liked the 30GB hard drive, too bad they had to put 4 of them in it before we could get one to work right. The BlueTooth is a feature I can't live without, but I learned how for the first year I had this thing. They finally got that fixed, but... Over the 2 1/2 years I've owned this, it's been in the shop for transmission issues 4 times, computer issues 4 times, driveability issues another couple of times and if there was ever a vehicle that should have been taken back under the lemon law provisions, this was it. The real kicker was a buildup of water under the passenger's side floorboards which would slosh around constantly while you were driving...it took a year to find and fix that problem. I've had it. I know people swear by these cars, but I can only swear at it. Once I get rid of this, I'llneve buy another Jeep again."

Worth every penny!

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

Pros: "Technology, fun to drive, comfort"

Cons: "none yet"

"This vehicle is AWESOME. Nothing compares technologically. The Jeep drives like a car, smooth and quite. Can't be happier. Don't let any negative reviews deter you, Jeep has fixed the problems."

Update on my July 25 review

By on Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Pros: "Good gas milage for such a heavy suv"

Cons: "Don't like the default to econ on start up"

"If you have any problems with your Jeep FIRST contact customer service in Auburn Hills in Michigan and get a name and a case number BEFORE going to the dealership, this gets the dealerships attention. I had a problem with the Uconnect system, radio presets & navigation losing its mind. Eventually the system was replaced and updated, no problems to date. My other problem was the memory seats not setting to different drivers, after the dealership was unable to solve the problem my case manager and I had a 3 way phone discussion with a tech guy in Michigan we determined that drive # 1 and #2 MUST lock and unlock the suv using only THEIR key fob so the suv knows who the next driver will be an can set the seat position accordingly, do not use the "touch the door handle method" if you are going to use the seat recall feature. This is not explained correctly in any of the user guides or manuals. Unlike some of the revues I can only say that the customer service in Michigan, who were constantly calling me with updates, and on top of the situation, did a great job. The local dealership were great even when I had not purchased it from them"

Soon to be a "former" Jeep owner!!

By on Monday, November 18, 2013

Pros: "Looks nice both inside and out, comfortable."

Cons: "Too many to list!!!"

"In February of 2011 I bought a V6 Overland and from day one there were issues. When coasting to a stop the brakes make a horrible humming noise. Jeeps answer: "its just a minor program problem with no update." Next was a complete failure of the A/C unit @ 9400 miles. Then at 12,000 miles the tailgate window hinge broke away from the glass because the adhesive melted from the sun. Next was the transmission banging into gear, that was another program problem. There are many other things that failed and I'm sure you can get the picture. I'm not one to buy extended warranties but in this case I "thought" it would be wise. The final straw was last week when my whole entire leather dash shrunk and wrinkled literally within 4 days when I left it in my driveway. That problem cost $3800 and of course its not warrantied. This vehicle has been in the shop a total of 24 times in the 33 months I've owned it. Unfortunately at month 24 it was one problem shy of falling under the Florida State Lemon law. I currently still have the jeep but in the process of selling it and never returning to Jeep. At this point its cheaper to cut my losses and go with a better quality manufacturer."

Almost a Home-Run

By on Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Pros: "Exterior and Interior fit and finish, sound system"

Cons: "Shift knob, rear window doesn't open"

"Traded in 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited for the 2014 Summit. The redesign is nearly a home-run. The auto leveling feature is great when I have heavy items in back or on hitch. The adaptive cruise control on my first long trip was a real pleasure to use. The interior looks great and is very comfortable. In ECO mode, which vehicle defaults to when started, the shifting IS different than any other vehicle, but that's why a nearly 5000 lb vehicle can get such good gas mileage. You don't get something for nothing and if I want a more traditional or agressive shifting pattern, I just turn off ECO mode or put into SPORT mode. I do not like the 100% electric shift knob. I still hunt for "D" or "R" when making a quick Y turn. The UConnect software and touch screen could be quicker and did freeze up on me once, but in general is very easy to figure out. I don't like that they got rid of the seperately opening manual rear window since that was nice when transporting longer items (now cannot be opened seperately). Sound system is amazing and has so many options for music sources I'm still finding new ways to play music (XM radio, HD radio, regular FM, Aux input, CD player, BlueTooth streaming music,etc..)."

Best Jeep Yet

By on Thursday, November 07, 2013

Pros: "Great ride, great gas milage, best computer"

Cons: "None since the software updates"

"This is an awesome vehicle. I am reading a bunch of complaints, but they all revolved around 2 things, and both problems have been FIXED by Jeep. The first is the rough transmission, which has been fixed by a software update, and the people with updates will tell you the transmission is now smooth as silk. The second problem is with Uconnect. The problem with this has been fixed, also with a software upgrade. A lot of the people complaining here have not even upgraded the software. Again, people running the most current software will say this is the best onboard computer available today. The Jeep is well built, and after the minor fixes, this vehicle is a definite 10. I have owned 3 Grand Cherokees, and this is by far the best. Don't let the negative nellies in here sway you away, because this vehicle will not disappoint."

Absolutely love this car.

By on Monday, October 28, 2013

Pros: "Body style, Uconnect ..."

Cons: "A bit too pricy in Canada"

"Absolutely love this car."

Cancelled delivery of my 2014 Grand Cherokee

By on Monday, October 21, 2013

I want this car

Pros: "Great looks, comfortable, roomy"

Cons: "Questions of reliability"

"I was to pick a 2014 Summit the other day but the night before I started reading all the troubles consumers were having and had to cancel. There seemed to be no clear answer to my questions regarding these problems from the dealer other than software problems. I really like the features and looks of this vehicle. If the problems weren't there it would be in my garage right now. Anyone know if there are solid fixes in sight? Or, should I start looking else where."

I want to love my Jeep...

By on Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Pros: "Nice body style"

Cons: "Uconnect"

"...and it may sound petty, but I just can't due to all of the issues I've had with UConnect. I have an iPhone 4s and have NEVER, since purchasing the vehicle brand new in Jan. '13, been able to have a reliable connection with my Bluetooth. Yes, that is a VERY minor issue, but if I didn't want those features in a vehicle, I could have spent far less money on something more basic. However, having those features (i.e.: back-up camera, navigation, bluetooth connectivity, etc.) were something I wanted. Almost every time I connect my phone via Bluetooth, one of two things occurs: 1) it takes almost 10 minutes for the connection to work successfully or, more fun 2) the entire screen and all associated controls, freeze. I live approximately 40 minutes from my place of employment and since purchasing my Grand Cherokee, I have driven that 40 minute commute with the back-up camera still active almost 5 times. Unacceptable. When these little "freezes" occur, you can't do anything associated with the Nav screen; no navigation, you can't change the radio station, you can't change the volume, nothing. It won't even turn off! Often, the screen will stay on even after the vehicle is in park and I've exited and locked it. At this point I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that I own what could, in theory, be a great car, but it just doesn't live up to the hype, or the poor customer service response I've received from Jeep. Basically they tell me that I have to either live with the computer constantly freezing or just not utilize the bluetooth. Why would I have spent the money on a vehicle with bells and whistles that I cannot even use?! I could have kept my perfectly reliable Ford and not had the almost 7 trips to the dealership only to be told they just don't know what's wrong."

Transmission Problems

By on Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Pros: "UConnet"

Cons: "Transmission"

"I love the look and technology of this car. I own a 2014 GC Limited. UConnect it great. Love that I can start my car from my desk. Not the best navigation. And now on to the transmission, terrible. Car doesn't shift gears properly. Car is constantly jerking because it is not in the proper gear because it didn't downshift/upshift properly. If you slow down for a red light but do not completely stop when you step on the gas the car doesn't go then suddenly jumps to 3rd for 4th gear causing the whole car to jerk. Make a turn across traffic at your own risk...because of the shifting problem car will hesitate (stop) and although you may have enough time to complete the turn you might not. Been to dealership 5 times and their answer is "that's not abnormal." I have had 3 updates in 6 months but none have fixed the problem. At first all I wanted was the car fixed...now I am feeling a little burned. My money was good enough to take, including the purchase of the protection warranty (covers all different parts of tranny but not whole tranny)but I am not significant enough to have my car fixed. Just want to get rid of it at this point."

Warning, read buyers complaints before purchasing!

By on Monday, September 16, 2013

Pros: "looks beautiful, sporty"

Cons: "suspension, transmission, navigation slow"

"the day it left the lot, nothing but suspension problems, transmission problems. in shop total of 25days out of 30 days owned. Service repairman not instructed on new mechanics of this car. The new suspension on this car is horrible and transmission is punchy affected all passengers ride. jerks when slowing from 2nd to first gear not recommend this car"

Updating my Aug. 8th Review

By on Sunday, September 08, 2013

Pros: "Interior and Exterior Styling"

Cons: "Transmission, and computer glitches"

"I initially reviewed this car on Aug. 8th, having owned the car for 1 month (see "Good Styling and Function, But..). At month 2, my review has worsened, having had to bring it in for service twice due to faulty computer issues and transmission problems. The computer issues have been minor compared to others I've read, but are annoying nonetheless. My radio presets are there one day, gone the next. The NAV screen freezes on an area, and the clock stops keeping time. More annoying is the transmission. In regular transmission mode, the car will jump from 1st gear into 2nd gear at slow speeds (like bumper to bumper traffic on the Washington beltway) or in a parking lot, even if you've come off the accelerator. It also slows too abruptly when coming down off of higher speeds. In general the transmission in this car needs to be reworked. And even though Jeep is aware of the issue that consumers are having, they say the transmission is working properly. My advice is to hold off purchasing this car until they get the computer and transmission issues resolved. I will try to give another update in the next month or 2."

Best car for the money

By on Saturday, September 07, 2013

Pros: "comfort, luxury, handling, amenities"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"I rented and drove almost every car in this class. I bought the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Has almost every creature comfort and amenity of every vehicle in its class, but for a lot less money. The Hemi V8 has enough power to move the vehicle effortlessly and tow more than most. The best part is unlike the other models this car I can, and would, take off the road."

Great ride & value

By on Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Pros: "Price and quality"

Cons: "Transmission"

"Best bang for the buck!"

Great Vehicle

By on Friday, August 30, 2013

Pros: "Ride, fit and finish and power"

Cons: "Perhaps more storage. But I suggest u drive one"

"I've owned this vehicle almost 3 years. I drives like its on rails. Better then a RangeRover. It has not given me a single reason to not like it. From the ride to its responsive nature on the road to its ability to pull, dive and respond like a brute to being as subtle as a Bentley. I test drove a Lexus, Range Rover and BMW they ate all good, but not the $20 to $30k difference. Great interior, great exterior, and all the luxury and comfort I can ask for. I can't wait for the next mile be it o. Road or off. 100% performance satisfied with both."

I have fallen in love with this car

By on Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Pros: "Practical, Great deal for money, smooth ride"

Cons: "Would like more steering feedback"

"I absolutely love my Grand Cherokee Limited with the Luxury Package. It was a stellar deal, very dependable, highly capable off road, in the snow, wherever you go! It will also get you there in extreme comfort. It has a great smooth ride, firm well planted feeling, awesome handling. My only wish was that there was slightly more steering feedback and that mine was a diesel, otherwise its stellar!"

Transmission failure at 3 weeks

By on Sunday, August 25, 2013

Pros: "good size, good handling, good performance"

Cons: "transmission broke"

"I had the vehicle for 3 weeks and was really enjoying it. The size is perfect for my family of four and we were planning on taking it on a few long trips this fall. That all changed when the transmission failed. When pulling on to a rural road the Jeep lurched and didn't go and then it went into limp mode. Luckily we were only 2 miles from home and we were able to get home safely. I can only imagine the hassles if we had been 400 miles from home on one of our trips. The Jeep was put on a flatbed and arrived at the dealer at 10:30am on a Monday. I can only assume the service department was too busy to look at that first day because when I called them at 5pm they told me they would get to it the next day. After evaluating it on day 2 they informed me that it needed a whole new transmission. I was there yesterday (1 week later) and they didn't know when they would have the new transmission. They did provide a minivan rental vehicle that smells like an ashtray. I cannot, in good conscience, recommend this vehicle at this time. That may change depending on how Chrysler resolves this issue. We shall see."

Incredible!

By on Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Pros: "Luxurious in every way!"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"I have the black/black 2014 Summit and couldn't have chosen a better vehicle. I thought I was getting the BMW X5 until this came out and I knew that was the one. I did have a problem with the cruise control but the dealership fixed it immediately and I haven't had any problems since. The gas mileage is not great but the ammenities and luxurious ride exceed the cost. Highly recommed you take one for a test drive and use the vented seat option on the climate control!"

don't let the hard seats fool you!

By on Monday, August 19, 2013

Pros: "super good interior & exterior!"

Cons: "make sure to get lumbar seats on both sides"

"I'm getting 4wd this fall, all wheel drive seems to crab feeling shift back and forth in front axles if driving slow in snow,you can't feel the crab walk on ice and it goes straight as an arrow on ice even if you floor it. We don't have that much ice in Iowa generally, mostly snow."

Good Styling and Function, but.....

By on Thursday, August 08, 2013

Pros: "Styling, technology, ride, handling"

Cons: "Seat comfort, ECO mode transmission"

"I bought a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland about a month ago and am generally happy with a couple small issues and one more substantial. What I like: The styling and technology in the car is great. Voice activated phone and text are nice, as well as navigation and some other features. The ride and handling is better than expected, and the gas mileage in the V6 has been almost 20 mpg in mixed city and highway driving. (Previously owned a car with the HEMI V8 that averaged 13 mpg). Issues: The vehicle comes with an economy mode, where the transmission will shift quickly thru the gears to improve fuel economy. The owner's manual makes it seem like you have the ability to turn it on IF you want it on, but the car defaults to that mode when you start the engine. So, you have to remember to turn it off, rather than turn it on if you don't want it on. Seems a bit picky, I know, but the car will hesitate if you try to accelerate at 15 mph because the car is already in 4th gear. Have that happen enough times and you'll get frustrated too. The default transmission should be the normal transmission, not the ECO mode. Bigger Issue: The seats are literally the most uncomfortable seats I've ever had to sit in. Unfortunately, I did not notice this in my 10 minute test drive. The leather seems soft enough, but underneath must be cement. I have the heated and ventilated seats, so maybe the components are contributing to the issue, and you might have a different experience if you don't have that option - I'm not sure. Overall, I think it's a nice car, but it's hard to be excited about a car that you don't want to sit in."

Good for the money but not great!

By on Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Pros: "Good value, great sound, great for hauling."

Cons: "Poor AC, some cheap material."

"The new summit is a good car for the price, AC does not blow enough cold air and since the cold air coming out of vent is within Chryslers range they won't do anything about it. Make sure you test drive the car on the freeway, mine needed balancing of tires and an alignment adjustment since the car was pulling to the left and the steering wheel would shake! Very poor voice recognition quality. Great drive, not Cayenne good but close enough, I have owned Porsche and Land Rovers in the past and for 30k less this is not a bad ride. Great off road, great sound system, great for pulling the boat (5000 lb) and love the adaptive cruise control, on long road trips you will feel a lot fresher. Want the ultimate get a Cayenne but pay a lot more! Good value."