2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee

8.0

Based on 948 Ratings for the 2005 - 2010 models.

Great vehicle but it's too thirsty!

By on Monday, September 24, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive in winter. Lots of space."

Cons: "Gas guzzler. Sluggish at high speeds."

"I've owned this truck for about 2 years now. I bought it used in 2010. This Jeep has been really fun to drive. Unlike other people who say the seats are too hard, I find them very comfortable for any amount of time you're sitting on them. The first (and only) thing I had to get fixed was the electrical plug that goes into the transmission because of a leak. This is a very common problem (and cheap to fix) so it didn't bother me. The 4x4 is incredible. Driving in the snow feels like driving on dry pavement in the summer with this Jeep. Unfortunately, it doesn't snow year round so not being able to turn off/on 4x4 is somewhat of a letdown. The two things that bug me with this Cherokee is that it sucks gas like there's no tomorrow. I manly drive this thing in the city and it is painful to see that my average mpg is about 14. With gas over $4 in my area, it takes almost $80 per fill-up and it disappears in just over a week. The other thing I don't like is that it feels low on power. Accelerating from a constant speed to pass or from making a turn feels like it takes a second or two for the engine to catch up. A little dangerous if you're not used to it. Bottom line, if you don't mind the low mpg's and a little sluggishness, then it's a good choice for you. Otherwise look for a better alternative..."

Finest Grand Cherokee Jeep Ever

By on Monday, November 19, 2012

Pros: "Good value, excellent quality."

Cons: "Hard plastic window sills."

"This has been my fifth Jeep and the first vehicle that has gone 90K miles with absolutely no problems, conditions or glitches. I wish every car I've owned was this flawless. I purchased the Limited 4x4 V8 new in Jan. 2005 on a special order from the Detroit factory with the two-tone leather upholstery and tow package. After 7 years it still looks, drives and even smells new. Grand Cherokees can fit in a compact parking space but also can swallow enormous amounts of cargo as we head to our summer home in eastern Washington towing our boat. Even over the Cascade mountain passes, the V8 has plenty of power to haul a full load of people and their stuff. I get 21 mpg on the highway and 16 around town but it's certainly worth it. Jeeps are a great bargain compared to other SUVs and mine has been completely rattle free. Compare that to a GM or Ford. Excellent design and good ergonomics."

love my Jeep

By on Thursday, September 22, 2011

Pros: "Great features and ride for a true offroad vehicle"

Cons: "gas mileage not great for an SUV this small"

"I had a V6 Grand Cherokee, and though it was the bottom of the line in trim, engine and 4WD system it was a real hero going over the roughest terrain in the high Colorado passes. Even without 4WD low it had no problems. I was not thrilled with the low gas mileage (12-13 around town and 18-19 highway) of the V6. The engine seemed to be straining to move the vehicle. I recently traded the V6 for the Hemi, and wow. The Hemi really kicks butt, and with the variable displacement feature, the gas mileage is not that much worse."

Poor Mechancial Issues

By on Wednesday, September 05, 2007

"Purchased my 2005 Grand Cherokee. Started out loving it. After 11 months the transmission started leaking. Seven months later the check engine light came on. The code would not allow dealer to determine the issue. Three months after that check engine light came on again. Code was determined to be a leaking hose. Two days later the check engine light came on again. This time the transmission lead plate had gone bad. Three months later the check engine light came on again. This time only showed communication issue. Three weeks later the check engine light came on again. That time the gear shift assembly had gone bad. Just waiting to see what is next. Hope to get rid of as soon as possible. Only has 31,000 miles. If "Lemon" fit then this would be an example."

I don't know what else anyone could want.

By on Saturday, November 09, 2013

Pros: "offroad mastery meets onroad sophistacation. power"

Cons: "gas mileage, gas mileage. GAS MILEAGE!"

"Off road: excellent traction, good articulation, and the front air dam is easily removable which helps approach angle. On road: compared to most SUVs, the HEMI is in a league of its own. push the gas to the floor and 'Merica happens! also rides very comfortably with a forgiving suspension and minimal road noise."

Very Solid, Fun Vehicle

By on Saturday, April 14, 2012

Pros: "mechanically sound, fun, powerful"

Cons: "rear is even to crowded for my young kids"

"I purchased my 2005 GC limited 4.7 v8 brand new. It’s powerful and fun to drive. Never had any major problems with it. Nice smooth ride. The battery died in year 5 year after its estimated life span. In year 6 the check engine light came on and I needed to purchase an EGR valve (cost $40 at autopart store and hired a mechanic to install). Nothing else has ever gone wrong with it and i'm in year 7. Overall it’s a very solid dependable SUV with no major issues."

Not bad so far!

By on Friday, October 12, 2012

Pros: "Nice ride, easy maintenance, cool looks, roomy."

Cons: "Fuel economy, hard seats, PCM trouble codes."

"We bought this vehicle for my wife when her Saturn died. The ride is very nice with all of the comforts of a newer car. We have only owned this vehicle for 3 months with only minor problems. The engine runs good, and the transmission seems to shift fine. We had a one time no engine turnover which we are watching very closely to see if this happens again. The one thing that I have noticed about the Jeep is that it is sort of glitch prone. The engine light comes on about every third week. The trouble codes are usually communication errors or something to do with the emissions vapor system. Overall, the Jeep seems to be a fair value. Time will tell if the vehicle has bigger problems in the future."

No problems yet

By on Friday, October 12, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive,will hate to get rit of it."

Cons: "Cup holders. awkward. some trim cheap"

"This auto has done anything I. have ask. WeAverage 18 mpg. in everyday driving. Have got as high as 22 mpg on trips. Had the brakes checked when I bought new tires at 70000, tbhe inspectorsaid they were good for 50000 more. Some of the inside trim is flimsy.Seating is narrow for wider bodied people. But my nex car will get better gas mileage."

LOYAL JEEP OWNER

By on Saturday, August 25, 2007

"MY WIFE AND I PURCHASED THIS 06 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE WITH 17000 MILES ON IT FROM A JEEP DEALER. WE SAVED ABOUT 13000 BUYING IT USED. I HAVE A 96 CHEROKEE SPORT AND LOVE IT HAD HARDLY ANY PROBLEMS WITH IT. THE 06 IS ANOTHER ISSUE. I HAVE A 3.7L WHICH LOOSES POWER WHEN YOU MAKE A TURN AND HIT A BUMP AT THE SAME TIME, WHAT'S THIS ABOUT?? THE WINDSHIELD TOP IS WAY TO LOW I HAVE TO LURCH FORWARD TO SEE THE TRAFFIC LIGHTS IF I AM THE FIRST IN LINE. I DID PURCHASE THE WARRANTY ON THE FABRIC, GOOD THING. THE FABRIC STAINS SO EASILY MY LITTLE GIRL DROPPED WATER ON IT, YES WATER, AND IT LEFT A MARK ON THE CLOTH. ABOUT 9 MONTHS INTO OWNERSHIP I WAS DRIVING DOWN THE HIGHWAY AND WENT OVER A BUMP AND THE TRUCK STARTED MAKING A RATTLING SOUND. I STOPPED THE TRUCK PUT IT IN REVERSE AND BACK IN DRIVE TO GET RIDE OF THE NOISE, BUT IT COMES BACK EVERY TIME I HIT A SMALL BUMP. THE DOORS DON'T STAY OPENED. THE GAS MILAGE IS SOSO. I LOVE JEEPS AND HAVE OWNED OTHER SUV'S AND THIS ONE IS THE BEST I WISH THEY WOULD JUST FIX THE KINKS. WILL DEFINATLEY BUY ANOTHER ONE BUT WILL LOOK AROUND TO SEE IF SOMEONE ELSE CAN COME CLOSE."

Great, reliable car except for uncomfortable seats

By on Saturday, September 28, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, good in snow, good looking, easy to main"

Cons: "Uncomfortable seats"

"Our third Jeep GC Limited. We love them!! Worked well for us---the 2005 seats weren't very comfortable, however."