2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee

8.0

Based on 948 Ratings for the 2005 - 2010 models.

Overall Great Car

By on Thursday, July 25, 2013

"This is my second Jeep Grand Cherokee, and most definitely won't be my last. The good news: 1) Terrific handling for an SUV 2) Great horsepower no matter which engine. I currently have the 5.7L Hemi, which is awesome! But the 3.7L v6 is just fine. I suggest the 4.7L v8. Powerful, but not over the top. 3) Never had any major mechanical issues. 4) Overall great value relative to other SUV's. In terms of features, aesthetics, and performance it feels like a luxury brand without the huge price tag. The Bad: 1) Of course poor gas mileage, since I have the Hemi engine 2) The Navigation/DVD system just stopped working one day. Not sure if it's a common issue."

A REAL SUV.

By on Thursday, May 15, 2008

"IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN A SUV. THIS IS THE ONE TO GET. I BOUGHT MY 05 GRAND CHEROKEE NEW FROM THE DEALER WHERE I WORKED AT THE TIME. IT HAS ALL OPTIONS EXCEPT DVD INCL THE HEMI. THE REASON I RECOMMEND THIS VEHICLE IS I WAS IN AN ACCIDENT WERE I WAS SITTING AT A STOP LIGHT AND WAS T BONED IN THE DRIVERS SIDE A PILLAR. TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT..HE WAS IN A RODEO HIT ME AT 25 MPH AND I WAS FINE AND STILL DRIVE THE JEEP TODAY. HIS CAR NOT SO MUCH. THIS THING IS BUILT LIKE A TANK I HAVE NO PROBLEM PUTTING MY FAMILY IN THIS VEHICLE. BEING A MASTER TECH AT A LARGE USED CAR CHAIN I WORK ON ALL MAKES AND MODELS..ACURA, TOYOTA, FORD, CHEVY, OR ANY EUROPEAN CANNOT STACK UP TO THE OFF ROAD CAPABILITY POWER, ACCELERATION OR HANDLING OF THIS SUV. RELIABILITY HAS BEEN GREAT SO FAR AND I DONT WORK ON MANY FROM THE MODEL YEAR 05 ON. ONLY GRIPE I HAVE IS THE DEPRECIATION..BUT THAT HAS MOSTLY TO DUE WITH THE CAR MAGS OUT THERE."

Defective Front Door Design

By on Tuesday, December 18, 2007

"I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the HEMI. Love the car's power and comfort, but hate the defect in the front doors that has led me to buy a new GL450 to replace the Jeep. Simple wind gusts that blew the front doors open - each one on different occasions - has damaged each of the front two doors. The driver's side door caught the front quarter panel and bent the quarter panel, requiring repair (i.e. there was no clearance between the door and the car). The passenger front door scrapes the front quarter panel each time it opens, making a loud creaking noise that is most unseemly. The rear doors withstood the same winds. This happened in NYC both times. Yes it was windy, but I didnt see other people's door hinges separating from the frame where there is a hole in the hinge for a bolt - but none is in place. There is a cold weld around the hinge that is separated from the frame. The dealerships say that this is an act of god and not covered by waranty. Extremely dissapointing given the cost of the vehicle ($41K sticker). I will never buy another Jeep now, after having owned Jeeps for over 15 years, because I dont trust their warranty is any good. Sad but true."

Good Value

By on Saturday, September 29, 2007

"Jeep has never broken down on me (knock on wood). Has features that cost much more in other manufacturers. My only issue is with fuel economy. Seems like I fill up twice a week. Otherwise, I love Jeep."

Great Look - Not so great performance

By on Thursday, July 12, 2007

"I had an '02 Grand Cherokee before this and had nothing but problems - steering and transmission issues - and was glad to get rid of it. I decided to give the '05 a try anyway because I liked the new style. I love the way it looks and the features inside are awesome. I have the Boston Acoustics radio upgrade with Sirius Satellite radio and 6-disc changer, sunroof, running boards, and tire pressure monitor (which is a really good thing to have). BUT, the reliability of the vehicle itself has not been great. The air-conditioning makes a whining noise at about 55 mph when on the second setting (we have the manual air). The dealer says this is a known problem that Jeep had no fix for yet (as of last time we talked to them) and this has been ongoing since the month we bought the car (early '05). This problem definitely impedes the enjoyment of the car. Also, the gear shifter has been replaced twice and the original tires have all been replaced due to several safety issues we had over the time we had the vehicle (inexplicably losing tire pressure - this is where the tire pressure monitor really came in handy). Although I love the car itself, again for the style and features, I wish the realiability was better. I probably will not buy another due to the issues that don't seem to get addressed by the manufacturer."