2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee

7.9

Based on 1652 Ratings for the 1999 - 2004 models.

Great to drive, but repairs will add up.

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

"I have owned this vehicle for nearly 10 years now, and I have enjoyed most of those 10 years. This is a great ride for long trips, but it will eat up fuel if you do mostly city driving. It is very rugged, and is great for off-road driving, and will haul nearly anything that a modest landscaper would need. I do find that there are problems with Jeep air mixers- they have a history of breaking down, leaving the driver and passengers in the cold, and the cost to replace this simple part is high. Would I buy another one? Perhaps. But only if the fuel consumption was a little more reasonable."

First SUV

By on Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive and holds value well."

Cons: "OK gas mileage in town"

"I have driven other SUV's, but this one beats them all. The handling in the snow and rain is fantastic. Comfort in this model is a premium. Plenty of room for cargo with fold down seats and luggage rack on top. Dash lighting and display are clear with large easy to read numbers and symbols. Would recommend this SUV to anyone with a family. Versatility of a van with off road capabilities. I actually pull between 22 and 25mpg on highway."

Favorite!!

By on Wednesday, November 02, 2011

"This is my first car and i absolutely love. we have been through tough times but it always comes through and is very reliable. Everyone should get the chance to drive one because anyone will instantly fall in love with this vehicle."

I LOVE MY TRUCK!!!!!

By on Tuesday, November 01, 2011

"As far as "soccer mom" cars go, I am in heaven! I can fit all of my stuff and 4 kids to carpool! We take this thing on trips and are never uncomforatble! Small to mid size families this car is made for you! I will buy another one when I've driven the wheels off of this one!"

Dependable!

By on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pros: "Takes a lickin'"

"I've had this vehicle since it was brand new and I'm just as impressed as I was since the first day almost 13 years ago. Sturdy"

nice

By on Sunday, January 04, 2009

"i have owned my 99 since 02 & love it! A few wear & tear items have gone out but nothing major....mpg isnt the greatest but i will say i am a little tuff on my jeep! 264,000 on the 4.0 6cyl & going strong!"

Love my Jeep!

By on Monday, May 12, 2008

"I bought my Jeep Grand Cherokee Lorado just over a year ago at 62K milles. It is the vehicle I've always wanted. It is a great rig, very comfortable. I've had to change a sensor in the transmission and have squeaky brakes that didn't resolve after replacing the pads. Other wise the rig has been completely trouble free. If it wasn't for gas prices I would definately buy another one."

Worst Vehicle Ever

By on Wednesday, November 14, 2007

"We previously owned a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee and loved it. We purchased a new Jeep Grand Cherokee in 2001 and have had nothing but one problem after another. In the beginning they were small but still inconvenient problems untill around 60,000 miles. We have always had all recommended maintenance done (plus more) and still have spent over $7000.00 in repairs with multiple trips to the service depts for the same issue before having it resolved. We have a couple of issues that are still unresolved as they cannot duplicate the problem. We have tried 5 different dealerships and mechanics with no help. Contacted Jeep twice through the years and they are "unable to help". Would be a beautiful vehicle but the repair dollars and hastle spoil it."

great Vehicle

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"I have had this Cherokee (my 3rd) for 4.5 years. As in another review, my only complaint is the gas mileage. I get about 12 in the city, but about 20 on the highway. Otherwise, this vehicle has the other characteristics I wanted; comfort, room, and power. A very smooth ride. Standard Cherokees or Liberties are very stiff and not very comfortable. The Grand Cherokee is MUCH better. THe power is great. Passing is no problem. There is enough room inside for passengers or a good sized load of cargo."

Liked ability to carry larger items in the back.

By on Monday, September 15, 2014

Pros: "hauling capacity and interior room"

Cons: "milage"

"Added towing package which increased my ability to haul a trailer for various projects. Bought the 2000 Jeep in 2003 for my daughter to go to college. She gave it to me when she graduated in 2007 for a new Toyota. I think I got the best deal."

great vehicle

By on Friday, April 04, 2014

Pros: "great engine very reliable."

Cons: "lacking storage could use a lot more."

"Purchased this car in July 2012 for $3000 with 144000 miles my previous car had blown up and wanted something reliable that I could finish college with. Now in 2014 this vehicle currently has over 175000 miles on it and has been very reliable and made a trip from northern Ohio to West Virginia with no trouble at all. The 175000 miles were not easy either it was previously purchased from an auto auction by the previous owner, and also the previous owner used it to tow double axle tool trailers for a construction company. Knowing the vehicles previous history it has held up surprisingly well. This car has the 4.0 inline 6 cylinder engine and I would not hesitate to buy another one."

Truly Loved my Jeep!

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Reason: 14 years old, beginning to need a mechanic

Pros: "Gas mileage, Comfort, option package"

Cons: "Age"

"I bought this baby new with optional package upgrades. Served me well with few repairs for 14 years. Felt like I sold my comfortable "home away from home"."

excellent condition inside and out well maintained

By on Friday, August 23, 2013

Pros: "great price a true joy to drive,"

Cons: "184,00 miles but well maintained"

"My Jeep is dark metallic blue, with beige leather heated seats. Sun roof new tires same as original issue. full size spare. fold down rear seats. Very good in rain and snow. I take it to Vermont in the big storms and have never experienced any trouble in deep snow, rain or any conditions."

Sturdy, attractive, reliable, comfortable, thirsty

By on Sunday, July 07, 2013

Pros: "a true working friend- reliable with character"

Cons: "Window motors, gas mileage, suspension"

"Bought my Jeep GC as a loss leader and practically stole the thing in 2003, and it has proved itself a worthy vehicle. Regular maintenance keeps engine and tranny smooth, but window motors have been a prob - two replaced on warranty, two not (known prob with Jeep this year). Time for new suspension, though (did this with my 10yo ford and chevy too); expect SUV gas mileage. Would buy another one but likely to keep this one at least 50k more miles. This is one car that looks better with a few door dings and bumper dents because it gives the car CHARACTER."

Still on my first car!

By on Monday, June 24, 2013

Pros: "Great for poor road conditions, features, spacious"

Cons: "Poor gas mileage, blend doors"

"My Limited edition Grand Cherokee has been great to me and will take all kinds of terrible road conditions (heavy snow, ice, off-roading, etc.) With over 150,000 miles, this Jeep keeps running. The interior looks great, and who could complain about the added bells and whistles? The problems I've ran into with the Jeep are the blend doors (Chrysler problem, go figure)and a leaky power steering hose. The blend doors are a bit pricy to fix, but will still give out heat in the winter. I'm not asking much out of a vehicle, as a college student, but I have been satisfied with a car I kept since 2008."

Grand Cherokee Laredo Rocks

By on Saturday, May 25, 2013

Pros: "4WD, towing, fun to drive"

Cons: "gas milage is seriously the only complaint"

"This has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. I love it. However, it is an SUV and it uses a lot of gas. The comfort and convenience of this vehicle has definitely outweighed the cost of gas over the years. It's a complete boss in the snow with it's 4-wheel drive (part and full time). I never shoveled the end of my drive way. Just slapped it in 4-wheel and backed out. I <3 the Grand Cherokee Laredo! I was able to charge 2 cell phones at once as there are 2 12v dc auxiliary outlets."

More than I expected from my first vehicle

By on Sunday, April 14, 2013

"I'm the third owner of this vehicle and I have loved it. It bought it in Maine moved with it to Oklahoma and then to California. I have never had any major problems with it. One of the few issues I've had with it is it's awkward for an adult to get in and out of the back seat. The actual sitting room is fine but the way the doorway is cut makes it awkward for an adult."

I love my jeep!

By on Monday, December 03, 2012

"This jeep has been the best jeep I have owned. I've put 100000 miles on this car and spent less than $1000 on repairs. The jeep extended warranty worked for me thru 60,000 miles. After that, fan belts, an alternator, an ac freon leak, a wierd side mirror electrical problem and of course a couple of brake jobs were the only repairs. It's two wheel drive, but that hasn't kept me from some really rugged roads including the road from Ouray, CO to Camp Bird, CO. Whew! Fantastic vehicle!"

Great for snow

By on Saturday, October 13, 2012

Reason: Engine blown

Pros: "Good in Snow"

Cons: "16 MPG, At 200,000 miles, things started to go bad"

"Bought this for my commute to Park City. Good in the snow."

Highly recommend

By on Friday, August 17, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, great in snow and ice, user friendly"

Cons: "Should retain a higher resale value."

"This is my 2nd Jeep I have purchased new. The 4 wheel drive is amazing, my leather seats are so comfy, even on long trips. I maintain my rigs, in and out, regularly, so I have not had any out of warranty issues. Front differencial, window motor and heater fan repaired under warranty. I usually trade in after about 5 years, but when I do my research, I realize I already own what I would want to buy and I hate car payments. My pretty inferno red jeep is my rock, I hope to have her when she turns 300,000."

Was a great vehicled (:

By on Thursday, July 12, 2012

Reason: Lease trade-in

Pros: "Just a great truck (:"

Cons: "CD player kept breaking :("

"I leased this car brand-new in 1998 as an early 1999 model. It was comfortable, had advanced features for a 1999 model vehicle (CD player, premium stereo, keyless entry, etc.). I would've kept it if I didn't get a new car after I traded it in. (:"

I LOVE IT

By on Saturday, July 07, 2012

Pros: "TO MANY TO LIST"

Cons: "BACK SEAT NOT THET GOOD ON LONG TRAVELS"

"I JUST LOVE IT AND ITS AN 04"

Unstoppable in the snow. Great transportation.

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

"Have never had any trouble with this Jeep. Very reliable transportation. This Jeep is a beast in the snow I have never been stuck and I am often the only one in my neighborhood to venture out on the highways when snow covered. I would highly recommend this car for winter driving or off road conditions."

I LOVEEEEEE THIS CAR!

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "great price, offroad, room"

Cons: "gas"

"Have done TONS of upgrades! LOVEEE THIS JEEP! Wish I had the selectrac and a little better gas mileage other than that NOT A SINGLE complaint :)"

V8 4.7L Has major issues

By on Thursday, March 22, 2012

Pros: "Great pulling power and does fantastic off road!"

Cons: "Bad V8 motors-valve seat issues"

"We bought our vehicle in September 2008 at 125,000 miles. One month later our motor blew (bad valve seats). Replaced that motor under warranty. Not even 36,000 miles blew another motor. Again bad valve seats. Paid $6000 for new motor plus install-warranty expired. This was November 2011. Not even 3500 miles later blew ANOTHER motor. Again bad valve seats. New warranty from new crate motor replaced it again. So we are now on our 4th motor in less than 4 years! These jeeps are notorious for this but only the 4.7 V8! They are great in the snow and we have never gotten stuck. Has the pulling power as well. Comfort is great. Other than the motor issues we LOVE the truck!"