1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee

8.4

Based on 884 Ratings for the 1993 - 1998 models.

Robust little 4.0L!!

By on Saturday, March 16, 2013

Pros: "capability, interior, looks, power, upgradability"

Cons: "gas mileage, age, on road handling"

Just after a wash.

"I got my Jeep to replace my Subaru. I needed more hauling room and offroad prowess, both of which are plentiful with this Jeep. I have had the chance to upgrade anything yet, but it is capable enough to make it through a driver side window deep puddle without mud tires, and only in 4wd fulltime! If that isn't awesome then idk what is. The suspension is stiff so on road driving can be somewhat ruff on bad roads, but it makes up for this elsewhere. The selectrac 4wd is awesome because of the choice of drive types you have to choose from, and the seats are the most comfortable I've ever had. Cargo room is excellent with folding seats, but expect to have a few minor problems with quality being that they were built 15+ years ago and are aging. All in all, this car has become my baby, and I am likely to keep it until it breathes its last breath."

Just after a wash.

Unexpected reliability for an AWD

By on Thursday, February 21, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, comfortable, versatile"

Cons: "mileage, cost of parts"

Keepin' it cool.

"Unfortunately for me and this vehicle, it is not nearly rated high enough for resell value! A great road trip vehicle, it is durable, tough and yet looks nice after a wash. I feel for conveince sake that they should have given it a spare tire holder for the rear hatch, rather than expect you to want to use a bicycle tire for a spare, but otherwise I loved this truck. As with most Mopar, the parts can be a little more expensive, but for the work I put into it (replaced the transfer case, needs some rear-end attention, regular maintenance and one wheel bearing hub assembly in the front) I really cannot complain! Another downfall would have to be the console computer. It keeps track of the date, time and miles until service, but for some reason these modules always want to kick off and reset themselves-I never tried to figure out why. All in all, for an all time AWD truck that has been put through all of it's paces, and then some, I could not be more impressed. I love it to pieces. Except now with gas being so high, I have to sadly find somewhere to trade in my trusty Jeep for a car with better mileage."

Keepin' it cool.

Not pretty, But shes my baby

By on Monday, January 28, 2013

Pros: "good pricing,fun offroad,comfortable,repairable"

Cons: "stock headliner, stock headlights,"

"1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 I6. This is probably the most reliable vehicle I have ever had. Yes she has problems here and there but she is 16. Also, parts be it new or remanufactured are cheep for this vehicle, also VERY easy to do work on yourself. I have pretty much rebuilt this whole Jeep myself from oil change to engine rebuild to tranny rebuild, yadda yadda yadda. Out of all my buddies, this Jeep is the better performing out of them all, from offroading to the most comfortable ride you have ever had. small cons- stock headliner falls in almost every GC I have seen and mine is no different. Cheap fix though. Best vehicle ever."

Rock solid with zero headaches.

By on Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, low maintenance, roomy, Good MPG @ 55-60"

Cons: "Gas hog @ 70mph and up. No other complaints here"

"97 Grand Cherokee Laredo was reccomended by my mechanic friend as dependable and functional. It did not let me down. Bought mine used with 130K miles for a good price and did nothing but breaks and tires and "fun" upgrades until about 205K. I'm 6' tall and it was roomy enough for comfort. Back seats are adequate for adult passangers and it has a good bit of cargo space. Straight 6 engine has plenty of power to get around (and by all accounts is much more reliable than V8 version) I do over-the-top audio systems and I did need to add air bags to the suspension to comfortably ride with 700 pounds of batteries and such in the back. Factory voltage regulator only charges to mid 13V range so if you're a nut about loading down the electrical system you'll want outboard regulator when you upgrade the alternator and battery. Started having problems at @ 205,000 miles, starting with radiator hose blowing out and overheating which blew head gasket. Do NOT let these overheat. Rear end went @ 220K and other things begin to wear out (distributor cap, power steering pump, front end pieces). Frankly if it were in better cosmetic condition I'd probably keep it going but I've really beaten the stuffing out of it. Keep her under 60MPH and gas mileage is really good on highway, a bit of a hog at higher speeds or in 4WD but not terrible. Really I wasn't looking for an econo-box so for what it is I'd say fuel efficiency is good. All in all I got my money's worth and then some out of this Jeep. If I could find another used one with lower miles for a fair price I'd buy another without hesitation."

Ye Ole JEEP

By on Monday, December 17, 2012

Pros: "Strong motor. great price"

Cons: "Could roll over."

"Good vehicle for the price. I've had mine for about 2 years now, nothing major just standard maintenance. I drive the car 120 miles round trip to work 5 times a week. JEEPS ARE GREAT!"

best vehicle ever!

By on Sunday, December 09, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, great ac/heat, tons of room"

Cons: "V8 instead of straight V6"

"my experience with the Jeep is awesome I don’t ever have to worry if it is going to get stuck, start or brake down it is a super great vehicle for families. Has lots of room especially in the back hatch. This Jeep is something to be proud of. I would love my Jeep even more if it was a straight 6 instead of a 5.2 V8. the V8 doesn't really have a lot of power unless you fix it to where it can punch. Overall I would say this vehicle is the best in it's class on everything."

Bast used Jeep i got

By on Sunday, October 21, 2012

Pros: "good price for a nice used SUV good MPG"

Cons: "Doors are heavy and parts are more costly"

"Real good Jeep.. I got it used and never have to work on it. The inline 6 engine runs good and has a lot of good pulling power. the car is real quite driving down the road and the leather seats really feel good. and for a used car I am getting 17 MPG in the city that's really not bad for a 1995 SUV. it really have a nice smooth ride and the engine runs just as smooth not sure if that's just how the inline 6 runs V a V6 engine or not. i do feel as if the inline 6 has more power then the V6. Over all the Jeep SUV is not to small or too big its just right."

Daryl. My hero

By on Friday, October 05, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, attractive looking. 4x4 great."

Cons: "Slightly Weird electrical, but easily manageable"

"I bought this car 2 years ago. Was born and raised in Alaska, and has been through every winter with no problem. Starts on a dime even if bellow -50 degrees. The previous owner abused it a bit but I have taken care of it and its my baby. Except once when I took it on the lake to get somebody unstuck, part of the lake wasn't frozen, and it sunk a bit.. Still ran, and I got out after driving through 4 feet of water. This car has saved me and others on plenty of occasions. And has had no major issues. His name is Daryl."

Just a solid, fun, reliable SUV

By on Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Reason: My parents needed a 4wd

Pros: "Fun, capable, & reliable"

Cons: "full size spare uses cargo space, use a compact"

"Perfect size for going up north, good towing, good gas milage (17/22 cty/hwy),outstanding off road. Issues: 1)it was recalled for the brake rotors. 2) it developed a drive shaft vibration (which was corrected by re-indexing the drive shaft 180 degrees."

Best Vehicle i have ever owned

By on Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pros: "All wheel drive is great in the winter"

Cons: "N\A"

"I bought my jeep with 60000 miles on it for $4200 in 2005. It has been everywhere and done everything and never left me on the side of the road. It has the original motor and trans. The only maintenance i have had to do is brakes and oil changes ( i had to replace the rocker panels because of michigan rust. It has been used on and off road for the past 8 years and has been wonderful the whole time."

I LOVE MY JEEP!!

By on Saturday, August 25, 2012

Pros: "reliable, comfortable, powerful, good MPG"

Will drive over anything!

"Bought this Jeep with 190000 miles now it has 245000 and it still runs amazing. The 4.0 inline 6 is i think the best motor ever built. This Jeep is smooth and quiet but then does very good off road as well. I will never buy a different kind of car! Gets good gas mileage as well 24hwy/17city"

Will drive over anything!

Some may wonder....

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pros: "multi talented"

Cons: "interior passenger room"

"I put all 10's because it's one of the best auto's I've ever owned. I'm the third owner of my Jeep, it is originally from Florida. Second owner only had it for three months to drive from Florida leaving school. I haven't had any problems at all. I've only had to change the radiator and the normal oil change as well as breaks. I have a 5.2L V8 Limited, because of the leather it's very comfortable. At 6'1, i've had larger trucks, but I fit right (don't know bout those who sit behind me though) Most folks would think it guzzles gas, but I drive alot and it doesn't burn gas, well i keep my tires inflated correctly, tuned up and change to a K&N Air Filter."

Best vehicle I have ever owned

By on Monday, August 20, 2012

Pros: "Everything about it."

Cons: "None."

"Bought my 1995 at the end of 1995 with 18,000 miles on it. At 450,153 miles, besides routine maintenance, the only repair was a used rear axle at 250,400 miles because it was humming. I have the "iron horse" six cylinder and plan to run this Jeep as long as I can. I have had no problems at all. I am in love with my Jeep. - We love it so much, we bought our neighbors 1997 in 2003 when it had 100,000 miles on it (she bought it new) and we now have 350,781 miles on it. It has the eight cylinder. We are Jeep Grand Cherokee fans for life!"

Amazing Value

By on Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Pros: "Value"

"Greatest car I have ever owned. Had this car for 11 years with very minimal issues, 220000 miles on her and going strong!"

BOB, the Burro, is a beloved member of our family!

By on Sunday, July 22, 2012

Pros: "Best value for original price that I've ever had!"

Cons: "Gettin' a bit harder to find replacement parts."

Bob the Burro with small bird friend

"BOB (Beast of Burden), the "Burro", is a grey, '93, Jeep Grand Cherokee with character, tenacity, courage and a spunky sense of humor. He's his owner's alter-ego, doing and saying things too outrageous for a mere human. Bought new, Bob's crossed the American Midwest countless times in all kind of weather, endured many blizzards and rock falls in the Intermountain West, and overcome southern Louisiana roads and trails after Hurricane Katrina. He spent a few years in Indiana and now lives in Allegheny Co. PA; looking forward to icey, snowy winter hills. We expect Bob the Burro to continue performing and bragging for years and miles more. You can call him "donkey", too, but please avoid that other word....it upsets him! His best feature, after that durable 6 cyl. engine, is his quadratrac 4wd system! I can't break it! He takes his time, but climbs every hill presented and wades water like a turtle. Duct Tape, hose clamps, coat-hangers (brass ones) and a Leatherman Tool fix most temporary problems. In his latest years he uses a guart of 10-30 Synthetic oil about every 3,000 mi. Maybe it's time for 1st replacement gaskets? A little rust has locked his left back seat in upright position and his body seals are shot so he leaks a lot...but, we'll fix that soon. I only wish he weren't so attractive as to attract people who park close and slam their doors into his sides. He's got a lot of little vertical dents! He's wearing 1.5 in. bumper armor, but still his lights are a little out of line from love-taps. Ya' couldn't tell to look at him, though. He shines up like nearly new. HE loves to tell BMW's, Audi's and Porches' his off road adventure stories. When he parks near a H-2, H-3, or other poser he asks, "Been anywhere interesting lately"...then he listens as they tell him about the mud at the soccer field parking lot, or the gravel road at the park. He responds with a tale of Targee Pass in January, or some uncharted bayou trail down south. Bob and I hope you find one of his automotive kind someday and love each other 'till you're both yard art!"

Bob the Burro with small bird friend

Great SUV (:

By on Thursday, July 12, 2012

Reason: It was just time (:

Pros: "Fun-to-drive, good gas mileage"

Cons: "Could be quieter inside, handling's a bit rough"

"I bought this car brand new in 1995 as an early 1996 model year vehicle. Mine was a Laredo 4WD, 4.0L I6 (great fuel economy and performance), bare bones with only power windows and door locks, oh, and a cassette player radio. I loved it when I owned it, so much that I just recently bought a similar but older Grand Cherokee to it. You can't go wrong with these Jeeps (:"

Great Vehicle for a New Driver

By on Thursday, July 12, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, logical controls, easy to repair"

Cons: "Could be quieter inside, handling's a bit rough"

My Jeep (:

"I bought my 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD in February of 2012 (this year). It is my first car. It is one awesome vehicle, it drives nice, is pretty quiet (could be a bit quieter), and has all the technical features (a trip computer, compass and outside temperature gauge, power everything, and an advanced computer system). It starts up every time and I put a custom stereo system into it. Inside, all of the controls are logically-placed and are easy to control from the driver's seat. The 5.2L V8 sips fuel, and has plenty of pickup on the highway. It is comfortable and its looks are iconic. Nothing beats a Jeep, and it will go anywhere, and do anything, just like they said (:"

My Jeep (:

Fair

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pros: "Easy To Drive, Love my power steering"

Cons: "High center of gravity, have to take corner's slow"

"I bought this Jeep in October of 2011,for $1,250. It had about 179,000 miles. I have took it to orlando recently,(about 160 miles away from us)and it ran fine. With it doing almost a constant 60 MPH, I was able to get it to get about 21 MPG. It was a good deal all around... Since october, I've put about 3,000 miles on it. This jeep has the Window protectors on it, so i can constantly keep the windows cracked with out any water damage, It also has Power seats, which are EXTREMELY COMFORATABLE...I don't like Jeeps in general but this has surpassed my expectations."

Great 4x4

By on Sunday, June 03, 2012

"I bought this car for $500. It didn't run when I purchased it. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor and has run great ever since. Guy who had it before me tried to get it running by replacing plugs, plug wires, distributor, and cleaning injectors. I did a google search on the problem and found that the crankshaft position sensor is a common problem on this model. Anyway I use this jeep to get around my farm and it has worked great for me. With the stuff the guy before me replaced it gets really good mpg for a suv as I get 20-24 mpg regularly. Runs great for the number of miles"

Great SUV for the Money

By on Monday, April 23, 2012

Pros: "Runs a very long time."

Cons: "Seat uncomfortable on long trips. Get one with pwr"

"I bought my 1996 Jeep used with 129,000 miles on it. I have driven it hard in MN and used it to move west in 2011. The car had a slight shifting problem when cold for the first few blocks but no other issues. The car was totally loaded as I drove up and down the mountains at the limit. That trip caused transmission problems that I have to this day. However, it has gone another 20,000 miles since then by babying it up the Grapevine (route 99)and is still going strong..."

Considering buying a Jeep? DO IT!

By on Thursday, April 05, 2012

Pros: "runs forever, fun to drive, goes anywhere"

Cons: "Gas Mileage"

"The older Jeeps(1993-2004) will run forever. Especially the 4.0 liter 6 cylinder engine. That particular engine could run to 400,000 miles before failing. But really, whats so great about these Jeeps? Well, here is my opinion: Pros: 1. Extremely safe. You get in a wreck with anything other than a dump-truck, and you will be fine. 2. Great, practical design. You don't have to be a master mechanic, but if you kinda have an idea of what you are doing, regular maintenance/small repairs on this car are a breeze. 3. Powerful engine, great for going out on the beach, or off-roading on the trails. 4. Great exterior design. As far as 90's cars go, these Jeeps are the most attractive(for its class(which is SUV)). Cons: 1. Gas is expensive. This cars doesn't have the gas mileage of a Honda civic. Just plan out where you're going, and don't race out of stoplights."

Best Car Ever

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

"The best car ive ever owned"

Love this truck in general

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, great price, lots of space"

Cons: "Wish it had a sun roof"

My green monster!

"For a 95, this is a pretty solid vehicle. I bought it from a used car dealership, and only paid $1400 for it (before the DMV fees). The leather seats are comfy, and I love that it has dual power seats, locks, and windows. The backseat is just big enough for 3 car seats, which is why I bought it. Huge trunk space, which is a definite plus with the huge strollers I have! The height is just right, not too tall or too short (I'm 5'2" with toddlers and wanted a vehicle higher up in case of accidents)."

My green monster!

A Really Good Vehicle

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "Goes anywhere you want with ease!"

Cons: "Gas mileage...."

"I have had the car for 13 years and it has never failed me in any way. I goes anywhere with the greatest of ease. It always starts (and always stops...) I would have given it a 10 across the board but I had one car I liked even better!"

This has been an Excellent Vehicle for our Family.

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "Limited slip differential"

Cons: "V8 Gas mileage averages 14.7"

"I purchased this 1997 vehicle new in the fall of 1996 and it's still going strong in 2012. The 1997 Grand Cherokee Laredo is a good vehicle year to own. We've encountered very few problems and the body is very well designed since there is no body rust."