1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee

8.4

Based on 890 Ratings for the 1993 - 1998 models.

cant beat a jeep for the money

By on Saturday, September 22, 2007

"Aside from the initial depreciation when purchased new, the value that the grand cherokee limited offers is hard to beat. It has 4wd, v8 performance, tow package, and every imaginable creature comfort you could desire. American made, extremely reliable when maintained properly, and still stylish after several years of service. Most service issues are very affordable to repair if need be and Diamler Chrysler is very easy to work with on warranty issues. The only weak link I have found after owning 3 of these jeeps is the transmission, but it can also be rebuilt cheaply enough and provide many more years of enjoyment. I don't believe that I would ever pay sticker price for a new Grand Cherokee simply because of the depreciation but if you find one that is a year or two old with low miles, the value is unbeatable! I'm sold on the Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited!"

Very Versatile

By on Thursday, March 12, 2015

Pros: "Versatile, reliable over 20 years, fun to own"

Cons: "Gas mileage not so good"

"Very versatile and enjoyable to own. Overall, very reliable. There can be be cost problem in replacing original parts. But so far so good and I am keeping the car until this becomes a problem. I bought the car 20 years ago, when there was not as much choice in the SUV market as there is now. But it has proved to be an unexpected pleasure and I am glad I went with it as opposed to, for example, a Range Rover, which was reportedly under-powered and unreliable at the time, or the to me cumbersome Toyota Cruiser."

one of the best trucks ever built

By on Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, built like a tank, 40. best engine"

Cons: "no rear power outlets"

"This truck is built like a tank will take anything you can throw at it, strong,dependable wont give up, 4.0L L6 engine is pretty much bullet proof, very spacious wont give it up for any thing just ask any one who has one they tell you"

Robust little 4.0L!!

By on Saturday, March 16, 2013

Pros: "capability, interior, looks, power, upgradability"

Cons: "gas mileage, age, on road handling"

Just after a wash.

"I got my Jeep to replace my Subaru. I needed more hauling room and offroad prowess, both of which are plentiful with this Jeep. I have had the chance to upgrade anything yet, but it is capable enough to make it through a driver side window deep puddle without mud tires, and only in 4wd fulltime! If that isn't awesome then idk what is. The suspension is stiff so on road driving can be somewhat ruff on bad roads, but it makes up for this elsewhere. The selectrac 4wd is awesome because of the choice of drive types you have to choose from, and the seats are the most comfortable I've ever had. Cargo room is excellent with folding seats, but expect to have a few minor problems with quality being that they were built 15+ years ago and are aging. All in all, this car has become my baby, and I am likely to keep it until it breathes its last breath."

Just after a wash.

Ye Ole JEEP

By on Monday, December 17, 2012

Pros: "Strong motor. great price"

Cons: "Could roll over."

"Good vehicle for the price. I've had mine for about 2 years now, nothing major just standard maintenance. I drive the car 120 miles round trip to work 5 times a week. JEEPS ARE GREAT!"

Daryl. My hero

By on Friday, October 05, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, attractive looking. 4x4 great."

Cons: "Slightly Weird electrical, but easily manageable"

"I bought this car 2 years ago. Was born and raised in Alaska, and has been through every winter with no problem. Starts on a dime even if bellow -50 degrees. The previous owner abused it a bit but I have taken care of it and its my baby. Except once when I took it on the lake to get somebody unstuck, part of the lake wasn't frozen, and it sunk a bit.. Still ran, and I got out after driving through 4 feet of water. This car has saved me and others on plenty of occasions. And has had no major issues. His name is Daryl."

Amazing Value

By on Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Pros: "Value"

"Greatest car I have ever owned. Had this car for 11 years with very minimal issues, 220000 miles on her and going strong!"

BOB, the Burro, is a beloved member of our family!

By on Sunday, July 22, 2012

Pros: "Best value for original price that I've ever had!"

Cons: "Gettin' a bit harder to find replacement parts."

Bob the Burro with small bird friend

"BOB (Beast of Burden), the "Burro", is a grey, '93, Jeep Grand Cherokee with character, tenacity, courage and a spunky sense of humor. He's his owner's alter-ego, doing and saying things too outrageous for a mere human. Bought new, Bob's crossed the American Midwest countless times in all kind of weather, endured many blizzards and rock falls in the Intermountain West, and overcome southern Louisiana roads and trails after Hurricane Katrina. He spent a few years in Indiana and now lives in Allegheny Co. PA; looking forward to icey, snowy winter hills. We expect Bob the Burro to continue performing and bragging for years and miles more. You can call him "donkey", too, but please avoid that other word....it upsets him! His best feature, after that durable 6 cyl. engine, is his quadratrac 4wd system! I can't break it! He takes his time, but climbs every hill presented and wades water like a turtle. Duct Tape, hose clamps, coat-hangers (brass ones) and a Leatherman Tool fix most temporary problems. In his latest years he uses a guart of 10-30 Synthetic oil about every 3,000 mi. Maybe it's time for 1st replacement gaskets? A little rust has locked his left back seat in upright position and his body seals are shot so he leaks a lot...but, we'll fix that soon. I only wish he weren't so attractive as to attract people who park close and slam their doors into his sides. He's got a lot of little vertical dents! He's wearing 1.5 in. bumper armor, but still his lights are a little out of line from love-taps. Ya' couldn't tell to look at him, though. He shines up like nearly new. HE loves to tell BMW's, Audi's and Porches' his off road adventure stories. When he parks near a H-2, H-3, or other poser he asks, "Been anywhere interesting lately"...then he listens as they tell him about the mud at the soccer field parking lot, or the gravel road at the park. He responds with a tale of Targee Pass in January, or some uncharted bayou trail down south. Bob and I hope you find one of his automotive kind someday and love each other 'till you're both yard art!"

Bob the Burro with small bird friend

Saved my Family

By on Wednesday, June 30, 2010

"I bought this car in Dec 09 used w/ 170000. I had some minor problems wrong w/ it but ran great and got me around town. I totaled it 3 wks ago. I had a bad accident and flipped it 6xs I wasn't buckled but my two little ones were. This vehicle saved my babies lives and held up.My kids didn't have one scratch on them and neither did I. It was a miracle. It is has a solid body and worth it. I would buy another one but too many scary memories from the wreck when i see these cars. I hope this review helps someone buy this reliable car and have peace of mind that ur family is safe."

Dependable

By on Wednesday, November 04, 2009

"This vehicle is about to break 200000 miles and will still start without hesitation in the -30 degree mornings in January. The transmission also seems to have no problems after all those miles. Although i prefer wranglers as an off road car the Grand Cherokee is more than capable off road but is much more realistic as a daily driver. For example if you accidentally drive it into a ditch (which i have more than once) all you have to do to get out is put it in reverse and push the gas. Here is the repair list on the car for the last twelve years. (part cost only i do my own mechanical work. Maintenance not included) New CV joint..........$90 Front drive shaft....$200 Ignition Coil..........$20 Fuel pump............$50 Viscous Coupler.....$300 (Optional repair reduces tire wear) In my view this is pretty modest for a car this old and heavily driven."