1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee

8.4

Based on 892 Ratings for the 1993 - 1998 models.

Great car

By on Monday, October 01, 2007

"We have owned this car for almost 12 years and with 180,000 miles, it keeps on running. I put about $5k into it about 140k miles but other than oil, tires, and occasional replacement items, it is very low maintenance and looks great. My goal is at least 200k. It is worth much more than any trade in value or resale I could get."

JEEPS A OK

By on Saturday, August 11, 2007

"I HAVE HAD 17 JEEPS FROM 1990 THRU 2006. I WAS BLIND SIDED BY A TRUCK AND ROLLED 3 TIMES I AM HERE TO SPEAK ABOUT THAT ACCIDENT DUE TO THE JEEPS TOUGHNESS. I WILL NOT DRIVE ANY OTHER SUV. THE JEEP HOLDS THERE VALUE. I BOUGHT A 1998 WWITH 144K FOR 700 SOLD W INSPECTION 4K NOT BAD FOR 1 WEEKS WORTH OF WORK.. LOVE THE JEEP"

Great 4x4

By on Sunday, July 22, 2007

"I've driven many four wheel drive vehicles ranging from GMC Sierra's, Chevy Blazer's, Ford Explorer's, and Honda CR-V's. Let me just set the record straight. There is no comparison in my opinion to the feel and trust in which the Jeep Grand Cherokee gives to you in severe weather. I've taken my Cherokee, and my girlfriends Grand Cherokee out on some pretty bad snowy secondary roads and never came close to getting stuck or stranded. I will always have a Jeep vehicle in the family. Highly recommend."

AMAZING!

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"I BOUGHT MY '93 IN 2003 WITH ONLY 43K MILES ON IT AND THE THING STILL RUNS LIKE ITS NEW! I HAVE TAKEN THIS ON BACKROADS, THROUGH THE HILLS OF WEST VIRGINIA, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WOODS IN WISCONSIN, TO CANADA, FLORIDA AND SEVERAL OTHER TRIPS. IT ALWAYS STARTS RIGHT UP, NEVER OVERHEATS, AND IS AMAZINGLY COMFORTABLE. IT IS ALSO THE SAFEST VEHICLE THAT I HAVE EVER RIDDEN IN. IT NEVER LOOSES CONTROL IN WET, SNOWY, ICY CONDITIONS AND ALWAYS HAS GREAT TRACTION. I RECOMMEND THIS VEHICLE TO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!"

best suv that I have owned

By on Sunday, June 15, 2014

"I bought the jeep 11 yrs ago it had 35,000 on it I have always taken care of my cars. I run bigger tires for more comfort 235 75r15s calls for 215 75 r 15s handles great in the winter BEST SUV EVER OWNED WANT A NOTHER ONE never had any mech problems the normal stuff"

love this Jeep

By on Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Pros: "great reliability"

"I have owned this Jeep for 5 years. I bought it for Mn winters but now drive it year around. It's reliable comfortable sharp looking rugged...and it wears a bumper sticker that says"silly boys Jeeps are for girls" love my Jeep!"

I LOVE MY JEEP!!!

By on Thursday, January 09, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, goes great in bad weather."

Cons: "OK gas mileage for a 4x4"

"I bought mine used last year with 153,000 miles on it. Very good shape for being 15 years old! Not afraid to take it anywhere. 4 wheel drive is amazing. It goes like a tank in the snow, slush, mud."

best vehicle ever!

By on Sunday, December 09, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, great ac/heat, tons of room"

Cons: "V8 instead of straight V6"

"my experience with the Jeep is awesome I don’t ever have to worry if it is going to get stuck, start or brake down it is a super great vehicle for families. Has lots of room especially in the back hatch. This Jeep is something to be proud of. I would love my Jeep even more if it was a straight 6 instead of a 5.2 V8. the V8 doesn't really have a lot of power unless you fix it to where it can punch. Overall I would say this vehicle is the best in it's class on everything."

Great SUV (:

By on Thursday, July 12, 2012

Reason: It was just time (:

Pros: "Fun-to-drive, good gas mileage"

Cons: "Could be quieter inside, handling's a bit rough"

"I bought this car brand new in 1995 as an early 1996 model year vehicle. Mine was a Laredo 4WD, 4.0L I6 (great fuel economy and performance), bare bones with only power windows and door locks, oh, and a cassette player radio. I loved it when I owned it, so much that I just recently bought a similar but older Grand Cherokee to it. You can't go wrong with these Jeeps (:"

good 4x4 always starts and runs

By on Sunday, November 27, 2011

Pros: "can get 250k out of 6 cyl. great 4x4 system"

Cons: "fuel mileage flexy unibody construction rust prone"

"had this one year. It has always started and gets me where I need to go. I live in Illinois and I didn't get stuck at all winter 2011 in blizzard -- 2ft of snow. I was fortunate enough to buy it with the transmission already replaced. Unlike Jeep XJ Cherokee, it has a weak Chrysler transmission. They typically need replacing around 90k miles. Mine has intermittent electrical short. It has a little stiffer ride than some other suvs because of solid axles, but is much more capable off road. I would probably buy another one, but would probably buy one with a v8 based on fuel mileage, which could be better."

Great Vehicle!

By on Monday, October 31, 2011

"Bought brand new back in 1997. It has been very reliable. Has the 6 cyl. 4.0L HO engine in it. I would have preferred the V8 (5.2L), but I did not care for the quadratrac transfer case that all V8's come with. The base transfer case for the 4.0L is the NP242 model which has 2wd high, 4wd high, 4wd AUTO and 4wd low selections. Gas mileage has been average...Best mileage that I've seen was 19mpg on a trip from Pennsylvania to Florida. Around town it is 14-15mpg. My only 2 complaints about it are... 1. The clear coat on my factory aluminum wheels has worn over time and now the wheels are pitted and oxidized - they need a good polishing and to be repainted w/clear. 2. It seems that I see many that have the paint flake off of the rear side vents (between the rear cargo windows and the tailgate). This stands out more on the ligher (white, silver) colored cars. I plan on keeping this car...it's been good to me :)"

Sad to see her go

By on Friday, October 07, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive, great for moving, reliable"

Cons: "16 MPG need to use my fuel efficient honda"

"I love this jeep, it has been a family jeep for 15 years. Clean title, reliable wheels, and fun to drive. I feel spoiled with the automatic locks, alarm system, and car starter. I loved this vehicle but I have to commute to work and it's not ideal for my work and school life anymore. Tires aren't too old(about a year) needs a tune-up"

i loved my jeep got me thru a lot

By on Sunday, September 25, 2011

"i ve never been stuck and have had very little problems, its sturdy and strong and id buy another in a heartbeat"

Best car we've ever owned.

By on Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, lots of room."

Cons: "Aging"

"The Jeep has been very reliable and fun to drive. It is relatively economical, about 17mpg. We have had minimal repair expenses."

She's a Beast

By on Thursday, August 11, 2011

Pros: "Dependability, Reliability, and Many lifetime memories"

Cons: "Many small things go wrong"

"Bought her in 2004 and now it's 2011, she is still kicking. There have been many major and small repairs to the Jeep but that was the result of the "race car" driver i bought the Jeep from. If you take great care and dont beat on the gas/ off roads the Jeep will last till the tires fall off!"

Its a Jeep thing

By on Friday, April 08, 2011

"I bought this 93 Jeep when it was one year old with approx 15,000 miles on it. It now has 130,000 in 2011 & I'm still driving it every day. It is the most comfortable truck that I have ever owned and fits my purposes perfectly. I have the 4.0 six & Quadra drive. It goes thru anything, was even pushing snow up over the front bumper this winter & it just kept going. Very few problems with it, radiator & water pump were the most serious. I just replaced all rotors, drums & pads & linings on the brakes. I do most all work on it myself and most things are relatively easy to do. I replaced the cat converter several years ago only because I got tired of listening to the innards rattling at slow speeds. Would recommend changing axle, transmission & transfer case fluids on a regular basis as the fluids become contaminated & cause wheel hop in tight turns if you don't. I've always told my wife for years that I love my Jeep & won't give it up. I don't care how old it is, the new ones suck & have major mechanical issues compared to these old beaters. They are also more top heavy, tippy, & don't ride as nice, until you get to the 2011 model. That one is nice, but very pricey. The only real surprise you will get some day is when the plastic body cladding decides to fall off. Then you will discover that the rocker panels are gone & the bottoms of the doors are also gone. But what do you expect, mine is 18 years old and has spent its entire life in northern WI. If they still made the 93 thru 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee I'd be there today with money in hand to buy another one. If you're not a Jeep owner you wouldn't understand."

Best Car EVER!!

By on Sunday, March 27, 2011

"has 320K on it and runs like it has 100K i love this thing to death! I have the 4.0 inline 6 and its the best engine ever."

222,222 miles and still going

By on Sunday, July 18, 2010

"I don't even know where to start. This Jeep has been in the family since 1995 and we have put 222,000 miles on it without any major problems. The only downside for this vehicle is that the oil has to be changed...other than that i can live with the lower gas milage (i get about 14 for all my in city driving now and it was 16 when i lived out of town)...the interior of this vehicle is fantastic and everything still works after those 15 years...it is also something that is easy to work on."

It was decent

By on Wednesday, June 23, 2010

"My jeep has been good to me for the past year. Its great for snowy or off terrain surfaces if you live in the north west you know what im talking about. it does better than my moms jeep cherokee limited and its a 05 that has traction control. My jeep doesnt like to drift its diff and quadratrac does its job and im in high school. The down hill assist button that is located next to the ignition doesnt really work until you reach 35 mph for my jeep any ways I constintly use this feature because of the steep hills where I live. All the grand cherokees that i've ridden in, from a 98-05 all have a similar ride to them they like to wabble on bumby roads. It sometimes gets noisy from the wind but you can fix that problem easily with some wind diffusers or dynamat. Its exhaust is realitivly quiet. Towing capability, the jeep does outstanding when my step dad used to own it he would tow things constantly and not once did it show signs of trouble, but once he handed it down to me the only thing it tows is a bike rack. They do decent on gas milleage for a 98 5.2L V8 i average about 15.8 mpg between a daily commute from the gym, school, friends, and work. Thats about a total of 10-20 miles a day or a 10 to 15 minute drive, a full tank last me two weeks and two days exactly. But I also use a number of products to keep it that efficient between luckas motor oil prouducts to royal purble oil. The cooling system is alright again with royal purble i brought the coolant temp down 10 degrees cooler. I do constant check ups at my high school with basic maintence from tire rotations, to scan checks, fluid replacments, and it does fine. One issue that I have came across on my jeep is it used to wear down tires like crazy esspecially on the outside edges and I go the speed limit. I've only seen this problem on two jeep grand cherokees limiteds for my model type one being my own and some random guy in a parking lot. My team in autoshop realized the steering knuckle was being worn down simply because of the mileage I needed to either have to find new parts or do a complete front suspension rebuild. If you ever try to purchase this model make sure to do a test drive if you notice any unusual ride conditions, do a U-turn or reverse it. I had a weird situation when my steering knuckle was bad and it would jerk sometimes when I made sharp corners, but i fixed that issue, and another thing that would'nt be bad to have is a jeep grand cherokee fixing guide it showed all the nessary items you would need if something went wrong from differential issues, to engine for OEM purposes, that if your the type of person that likes to fix cars. this book came with my jeep when my step dad handed it down to me. This does great off roading and theirs plenty of mods for suspension for you all you mudding guys out there. This car wouldnt be bad to give someone younger, since its safe and reliable when it comes to bad conditions like snow. Overall its a good car just minor problems that occured in my jeep but if you look hard im sure you wont come across those same issues. Try to shoot for anything that is under about 120,000 miles. It shouldnt be that hard to find one since theirs a great abundance of them well for where I live at least."

GREAT VEHICLE!!!

By on Friday, January 29, 2010

"My wife and I bought a 1995 Grand Cherokee Laredo 1 yr. old in 1996. It has been the best vehicle we have ever owned, extremely reliable."

tons of fun

By on Friday, November 14, 2008

"I have had mine for four years and love it. The only problems have been mainly electrical and with the sensors and alarm. It has great amenities like the infinity gold sound system. It has done great in all types of weather, on and off of the road. Nice balance of luxury while still being affordable. Love it, just wish jeep had a similar new vehicle that was affordable."

Jeep

By on Sunday, September 21, 2008

"Best SUV ever!!! The 4.0 liter is unbreakable and it lasts forever. I recommend a Jeep."

Long Lasting Vehicle

By on Friday, August 01, 2008

"I bought this jeep in college. It was cheap and needed a few repairs. I just hoped it would make it until I could get out of school. But It turned out to be a great vehicle. After the initial repairs I seldom had to fix anything. I put well over 300K Miles on it and it was always faithful. It never left me broke down on the side of the road, not once. I recomed using a bottle of lucus stabalizer with every oil change. I believe this made a big difference in how long I kept it running. It never quit on me and I eventually had to sell it so I could replace it with a newer one. Bottom Line: Long Lasting Low Maintance Vehicle"

Jeep built

By on Wednesday, May 21, 2008

"I drive a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 6 cylinder, and get a great balance between performance and city/country averaged gas mph of 24mph consistently. On a long open-road trip, of course that figure goes up, but that 24mph is my normal life weekly average of in-town and country road short tripping that is my primary pattern. My Jeep at 13 years old has 235,340 miles and aside from a chip-box around 115,000 and a water pump has generally required only the usual replacements--brakes, tires, belts--and fluid & filter changes. I'm getting ready for a tune-up and a new set of sparkplugs- only the 2nd time in the vehicle's lifetime. My friend's 2002 Mustang with 52k miles rattles and buzzes so loudly in town and on open road you can't tune it out, but my Jeep looks, rides and drives solid--no one that sees it, rides in it or that drives it believes the odo. Steers, accelerates and brakes as clean and sure as when new. When I had the brakes redone 6mo ago, the mechanic asked me if I'd consider selling it to him. He was amazed how well it drove when he tested it after the brake job. He mentioned (and I already knew from my own wallet and history:) that Jeep replacement parts tended to be a bit costlier than many other brands but tended to be better quality which directly factors into how well they hold up if maintained properly."

Not Bad For the Time

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2008

"I bought my Larado new in '98 before SUV's were as sophisticated as today. I have 98000 miles with no mechanical problems other than replacing the water pump recently and rear bearings under warranty at almost 36000. The rear elelctric locks have recently failed but otherwise it has been completely reliable. It is noisy and rough riding by modern standards but the seats are very comfortable and it handles well for its type vehicle. Several long interstate trips in comfort. Fuel milage with the 6 is 18/23 real world. I plan to have it gone over completely by my mechanic and driving it for another 25-30000 miles. He says the engine is one of the best made."