1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee

8.4

Based on 871 Ratings for the 1993 - 1998 models.

What A Car!!!!

By on Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Pros: "strong fast comfort"

Cons: "mpg cound be better"

"I've had this car for a short 2 months love it, been off road a ton, 11,000 feet high, and 40mph pothole filled dirt roads, never missis a beat."

My First Car

By on Friday, July 19, 2013

Pros: "Rugged & Spacious"

Cons: "Gas Guzzler"

"I bought my jeep with 193000 miles on it and was pretty sceptical, but once I put a new coolant resivour in it and threw on new tires, you would swear it was brand new. I love this car"

one of the best trucks ever built

By on Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, built like a tank, 40. best engine"

Cons: "no rear power outlets"

"This truck is built like a tank will take anything you can throw at it, strong,dependable wont give up, 4.0L L6 engine is pretty much bullet proof, very spacious wont give it up for any thing just ask any one who has one they tell you"

good gas mlg, looks like new, easy to drive.

By on Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pros: "Goodlooking, solid built/safe,easy/fun drive,"

Cons: "Not a small vehicle....can't think f any cons!"

"I love my jeep! I've had her for 7+ yrs, and am enjoying every minute! Hoping she lasts forever!"

Comfortable ride!!

By on Monday, July 08, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, comfortable"

Cons: "Gas mileage, not 4wd"

"I have not owned this Jeep for very long but the time I have had it I have loved driving it. I had had some repairs done on her and normal oil changes. Her exterior is in wonderful condition, interior has some minor stains and just needs a good cleaning. It is very comfortable though! Tires are in good condition."

Keeps on ticking @ 188565 miles

By on Friday, July 05, 2013

Pros: "Keeps on going like a timex"

Cons: "Have no idea"

"1996 gr chero ltd, inline 6, 2wd hard to beat this car. I have owned it for 8 yrs sec owner. Only thing that doesn't work is the heated seat an no easy way to repair seat heat wires.. Very little repairs as it just keeps on going my goal is 200000. Gas mileage is like others say here. Regular maintenance is best way to keep it going such as oil changes, but other than that cheap to own. I would like a Toyota Tacoma,but hard to justify when this is paid for and get the same gas mileage. Also, Got my daughter a 96 gr lerado several years ago she drove in high sch, an college sold it to a high sch boy ( who drove it hard) and now he is taking it off to college. These cars just keep on going an parts are fairly easy to find at pullaparts."

You just keep driving your leaf! lol

By on Saturday, June 22, 2013

"Own two, best truck ever made."

Owned since new in 1992 - Excellent

By on Saturday, April 20, 2013

"Excellent vehicle, reliable, solid and comfortable. Work horse for 21 years and never complained. Gets same mileage today as when new about 17.5 mpg. Never burned oil, excellent 4-wheel drive system. The vehicle has become a close friend of the family and hoping for 20 more years or reliable service."

Best vehicle I ever owned

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Pros: "Dependable Excellent, fun to drive very comfy"

Cons: "no extended sun visors."

"Jeep makes a vehicle you feel safe in. I called my jeep tank because it never failed me in any type of weather, conditonor situation.Towing was a breeze. Will always pick a jeep over any other vehicle. I may have to find another jeep mine just got rear ended bad but it still drives, hope it's repairable. I just love jeeps!"

Awesome

By on Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Pros: "Reliable and tough"

"The grand cherokee can go anywhere and is very reliable. I drive through mud and snow with mine and never get stuck and mine is mostly stock except for the tires. It is a great machine and very fun."

Try to take away my CG

By on Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pros: "Great car and Great mileage"

Cons: "None that come to mind"

"This car has been AMAZING, NEVER left me stranded and has over 240,000 miles on it. I hit a deer doing 90 mph and sailed right over it and never even stopped. Not one scratch in it. I have done most of the normal wear and tear repairs myself with very little cost. This car is a daily driver and will remain that way. it's a 1997 Grand Cherokee , 240,000 miles on it and 100% original body and paint and engine and trans. I sent a letter to Jeep / Chrysler and got a 200,000 mile club license plate frame :)"

Satisfied

By on Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pros: "comes with all the extras of the day"

Cons: "not the quitest ride"

"Bought this used for summer use on the Cape with 196,000 miles. There must be a million of these around. Reliable and sound. New and used cheap parts out there if needed. Got caught in Christmas blizzard, easily handled with four wheel drive. Lots of fun on the cheap. Be sure to give it a good test drive and have it checked out before buying."

Robust little 4.0L!!

By on Saturday, March 16, 2013

Pros: "capability, interior, looks, power, upgradability"

Cons: "gas mileage, age, on road handling"

Just after a wash.

"I got my Jeep to replace my Subaru. I needed more hauling room and offroad prowess, both of which are plentiful with this Jeep. I have had the chance to upgrade anything yet, but it is capable enough to make it through a driver side window deep puddle without mud tires, and only in 4wd fulltime! If that isn't awesome then idk what is. The suspension is stiff so on road driving can be somewhat ruff on bad roads, but it makes up for this elsewhere. The selectrac 4wd is awesome because of the choice of drive types you have to choose from, and the seats are the most comfortable I've ever had. Cargo room is excellent with folding seats, but expect to have a few minor problems with quality being that they were built 15+ years ago and are aging. All in all, this car has become my baby, and I am likely to keep it until it breathes its last breath."

Just after a wash.

Unexpected reliability for an AWD

By on Thursday, February 21, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, comfortable, versatile"

Cons: "mileage, cost of parts"

Keepin' it cool.

"Unfortunately for me and this vehicle, it is not nearly rated high enough for resell value! A great road trip vehicle, it is durable, tough and yet looks nice after a wash. I feel for conveince sake that they should have given it a spare tire holder for the rear hatch, rather than expect you to want to use a bicycle tire for a spare, but otherwise I loved this truck. As with most Mopar, the parts can be a little more expensive, but for the work I put into it (replaced the transfer case, needs some rear-end attention, regular maintenance and one wheel bearing hub assembly in the front) I really cannot complain! Another downfall would have to be the console computer. It keeps track of the date, time and miles until service, but for some reason these modules always want to kick off and reset themselves-I never tried to figure out why. All in all, for an all time AWD truck that has been put through all of it's paces, and then some, I could not be more impressed. I love it to pieces. Except now with gas being so high, I have to sadly find somewhere to trade in my trusty Jeep for a car with better mileage."

Keepin' it cool.

Not pretty, But shes my baby

By on Monday, January 28, 2013

Pros: "good pricing,fun offroad,comfortable,repairable"

Cons: "stock headliner, stock headlights,"

"1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 I6. This is probably the most reliable vehicle I have ever had. Yes she has problems here and there but she is 16. Also, parts be it new or remanufactured are cheep for this vehicle, also VERY easy to do work on yourself. I have pretty much rebuilt this whole Jeep myself from oil change to engine rebuild to tranny rebuild, yadda yadda yadda. Out of all my buddies, this Jeep is the better performing out of them all, from offroading to the most comfortable ride you have ever had. small cons- stock headliner falls in almost every GC I have seen and mine is no different. Cheap fix though. Best vehicle ever."

Rock solid with zero headaches.

By on Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, low maintenance, roomy, Good MPG @ 55-60"

Cons: "Gas hog @ 70mph and up. No other complaints here"

"97 Grand Cherokee Laredo was reccomended by my mechanic friend as dependable and functional. It did not let me down. Bought mine used with 130K miles for a good price and did nothing but breaks and tires and "fun" upgrades until about 205K. I'm 6' tall and it was roomy enough for comfort. Back seats are adequate for adult passangers and it has a good bit of cargo space. Straight 6 engine has plenty of power to get around (and by all accounts is much more reliable than V8 version) I do over-the-top audio systems and I did need to add air bags to the suspension to comfortably ride with 700 pounds of batteries and such in the back. Factory voltage regulator only charges to mid 13V range so if you're a nut about loading down the electrical system you'll want outboard regulator when you upgrade the alternator and battery. Started having problems at @ 205,000 miles, starting with radiator hose blowing out and overheating which blew head gasket. Do NOT let these overheat. Rear end went @ 220K and other things begin to wear out (distributor cap, power steering pump, front end pieces). Frankly if it were in better cosmetic condition I'd probably keep it going but I've really beaten the stuffing out of it. Keep her under 60MPH and gas mileage is really good on highway, a bit of a hog at higher speeds or in 4WD but not terrible. Really I wasn't looking for an econo-box so for what it is I'd say fuel efficiency is good. All in all I got my money's worth and then some out of this Jeep. If I could find another used one with lower miles for a fair price I'd buy another without hesitation."

Ye Ole JEEP

By on Monday, December 17, 2012

Pros: "Strong motor. great price"

Cons: "Could roll over."

"Good vehicle for the price. I've had mine for about 2 years now, nothing major just standard maintenance. I drive the car 120 miles round trip to work 5 times a week. JEEPS ARE GREAT!"

best vehicle ever!

By on Sunday, December 09, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, great ac/heat, tons of room"

Cons: "V8 instead of straight V6"

"my experience with the Jeep is awesome I don’t ever have to worry if it is going to get stuck, start or brake down it is a super great vehicle for families. Has lots of room especially in the back hatch. This Jeep is something to be proud of. I would love my Jeep even more if it was a straight 6 instead of a 5.2 V8. the V8 doesn't really have a lot of power unless you fix it to where it can punch. Overall I would say this vehicle is the best in it's class on everything."

Bast used Jeep i got

By on Sunday, October 21, 2012

Pros: "good price for a nice used SUV good MPG"

Cons: "Doors are heavy and parts are more costly"

"Real good Jeep.. I got it used and never have to work on it. The inline 6 engine runs good and has a lot of good pulling power. the car is real quite driving down the road and the leather seats really feel good. and for a used car I am getting 17 MPG in the city that's really not bad for a 1995 SUV. it really have a nice smooth ride and the engine runs just as smooth not sure if that's just how the inline 6 runs V a V6 engine or not. i do feel as if the inline 6 has more power then the V6. Over all the Jeep SUV is not to small or too big its just right."

Daryl. My hero

By on Friday, October 05, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, attractive looking. 4x4 great."

Cons: "Slightly Weird electrical, but easily manageable"

"I bought this car 2 years ago. Was born and raised in Alaska, and has been through every winter with no problem. Starts on a dime even if bellow -50 degrees. The previous owner abused it a bit but I have taken care of it and its my baby. Except once when I took it on the lake to get somebody unstuck, part of the lake wasn't frozen, and it sunk a bit.. Still ran, and I got out after driving through 4 feet of water. This car has saved me and others on plenty of occasions. And has had no major issues. His name is Daryl."

Just a solid, fun, reliable SUV

By on Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Reason: My parents needed a 4wd

Pros: "Fun, capable, & reliable"

Cons: "full size spare uses cargo space, use a compact"

"Perfect size for going up north, good towing, good gas milage (17/22 cty/hwy),outstanding off road. Issues: 1)it was recalled for the brake rotors. 2) it developed a drive shaft vibration (which was corrected by re-indexing the drive shaft 180 degrees."

Best Vehicle i have ever owned

By on Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pros: "All wheel drive is great in the winter"

Cons: "N\A"

"I bought my jeep with 60000 miles on it for $4200 in 2005. It has been everywhere and done everything and never left me on the side of the road. It has the original motor and trans. The only maintenance i have had to do is brakes and oil changes ( i had to replace the rocker panels because of michigan rust. It has been used on and off road for the past 8 years and has been wonderful the whole time."

I LOVE MY JEEP!!

By on Saturday, August 25, 2012

Pros: "reliable, comfortable, powerful, good MPG"

Will drive over anything!

"Bought this Jeep with 190000 miles now it has 245000 and it still runs amazing. The 4.0 inline 6 is i think the best motor ever built. This Jeep is smooth and quiet but then does very good off road as well. I will never buy a different kind of car! Gets good gas mileage as well 24hwy/17city"

Will drive over anything!

Some may wonder....

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pros: "multi talented"

Cons: "interior passenger room"

"I put all 10's because it's one of the best auto's I've ever owned. I'm the third owner of my Jeep, it is originally from Florida. Second owner only had it for three months to drive from Florida leaving school. I haven't had any problems at all. I've only had to change the radiator and the normal oil change as well as breaks. I have a 5.2L V8 Limited, because of the leather it's very comfortable. At 6'1, i've had larger trucks, but I fit right (don't know bout those who sit behind me though) Most folks would think it guzzles gas, but I drive alot and it doesn't burn gas, well i keep my tires inflated correctly, tuned up and change to a K&N Air Filter."

Best vehicle I have ever owned

By on Monday, August 20, 2012

Pros: "Everything about it."

Cons: "None."

"Bought my 1995 at the end of 1995 with 18,000 miles on it. At 450,153 miles, besides routine maintenance, the only repair was a used rear axle at 250,400 miles because it was humming. I have the "iron horse" six cylinder and plan to run this Jeep as long as I can. I have had no problems at all. I am in love with my Jeep. - We love it so much, we bought our neighbors 1997 in 2003 when it had 100,000 miles on it (she bought it new) and we now have 350,781 miles on it. It has the eight cylinder. We are Jeep Grand Cherokee fans for life!"