1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee

8.4

Based on 872 Ratings for the 1993 - 1998 models.

Best vehicle I have ever owned

By on Monday, August 20, 2012

Pros: "Everything about it."

Cons: "None."

"Bought my 1995 at the end of 1995 with 18,000 miles on it. At 450,153 miles, besides routine maintenance, the only repair was a used rear axle at 250,400 miles because it was humming. I have the "iron horse" six cylinder and plan to run this Jeep as long as I can. I have had no problems at all. I am in love with my Jeep. - We love it so much, we bought our neighbors 1997 in 2003 when it had 100,000 miles on it (she bought it new) and we now have 350,781 miles on it. It has the eight cylinder. We are Jeep Grand Cherokee fans for life!"

Amazing Value

By on Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Pros: "Value"

"Greatest car I have ever owned. Had this car for 11 years with very minimal issues, 220000 miles on her and going strong!"

BOB, the Burro, is a beloved member of our family!

By on Sunday, July 22, 2012

Pros: "Best value for original price that I've ever had!"

Cons: "Gettin' a bit harder to find replacement parts."

Bob the Burro with small bird friend

"BOB (Beast of Burden), the "Burro", is a grey, '93, Jeep Grand Cherokee with character, tenacity, courage and a spunky sense of humor. He's his owner's alter-ego, doing and saying things too outrageous for a mere human. Bought new, Bob's crossed the American Midwest countless times in all kind of weather, endured many blizzards and rock falls in the Intermountain West, and overcome southern Louisiana roads and trails after Hurricane Katrina. He spent a few years in Indiana and now lives in Allegheny Co. PA; looking forward to icey, snowy winter hills. We expect Bob the Burro to continue performing and bragging for years and miles more. You can call him "donkey", too, but please avoid that other word....it upsets him! His best feature, after that durable 6 cyl. engine, is his quadratrac 4wd system! I can't break it! He takes his time, but climbs every hill presented and wades water like a turtle. Duct Tape, hose clamps, coat-hangers (brass ones) and a Leatherman Tool fix most temporary problems. In his latest years he uses a guart of 10-30 Synthetic oil about every 3,000 mi. Maybe it's time for 1st replacement gaskets? A little rust has locked his left back seat in upright position and his body seals are shot so he leaks a lot...but, we'll fix that soon. I only wish he weren't so attractive as to attract people who park close and slam their doors into his sides. He's got a lot of little vertical dents! He's wearing 1.5 in. bumper armor, but still his lights are a little out of line from love-taps. Ya' couldn't tell to look at him, though. He shines up like nearly new. HE loves to tell BMW's, Audi's and Porches' his off road adventure stories. When he parks near a H-2, H-3, or other poser he asks, "Been anywhere interesting lately"...then he listens as they tell him about the mud at the soccer field parking lot, or the gravel road at the park. He responds with a tale of Targee Pass in January, or some uncharted bayou trail down south. Bob and I hope you find one of his automotive kind someday and love each other 'till you're both yard art!"

Bob the Burro with small bird friend

Great SUV (:

By on Thursday, July 12, 2012

Reason: It was just time (:

Pros: "Fun-to-drive, good gas mileage"

Cons: "Could be quieter inside, handling's a bit rough"

"I bought this car brand new in 1995 as an early 1996 model year vehicle. Mine was a Laredo 4WD, 4.0L I6 (great fuel economy and performance), bare bones with only power windows and door locks, oh, and a cassette player radio. I loved it when I owned it, so much that I just recently bought a similar but older Grand Cherokee to it. You can't go wrong with these Jeeps (:"

Great Vehicle for a New Driver

By on Thursday, July 12, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, logical controls, easy to repair"

Cons: "Could be quieter inside, handling's a bit rough"

My Jeep (:

"I bought my 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD in February of 2012 (this year). It is my first car. It is one awesome vehicle, it drives nice, is pretty quiet (could be a bit quieter), and has all the technical features (a trip computer, compass and outside temperature gauge, power everything, and an advanced computer system). It starts up every time and I put a custom stereo system into it. Inside, all of the controls are logically-placed and are easy to control from the driver's seat. The 5.2L V8 sips fuel, and has plenty of pickup on the highway. It is comfortable and its looks are iconic. Nothing beats a Jeep, and it will go anywhere, and do anything, just like they said (:"

My Jeep (:

Fair

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pros: "Easy To Drive, Love my power steering"

Cons: "High center of gravity, have to take corner's slow"

"I bought this Jeep in October of 2011,for $1,250. It had about 179,000 miles. I have took it to orlando recently,(about 160 miles away from us)and it ran fine. With it doing almost a constant 60 MPH, I was able to get it to get about 21 MPG. It was a good deal all around... Since october, I've put about 3,000 miles on it. This jeep has the Window protectors on it, so i can constantly keep the windows cracked with out any water damage, It also has Power seats, which are EXTREMELY COMFORATABLE...I don't like Jeeps in general but this has surpassed my expectations."

Great 4x4

By on Sunday, June 03, 2012

"I bought this car for $500. It didn't run when I purchased it. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor and has run great ever since. Guy who had it before me tried to get it running by replacing plugs, plug wires, distributor, and cleaning injectors. I did a google search on the problem and found that the crankshaft position sensor is a common problem on this model. Anyway I use this jeep to get around my farm and it has worked great for me. With the stuff the guy before me replaced it gets really good mpg for a suv as I get 20-24 mpg regularly. Runs great for the number of miles"

Great SUV for the Money

By on Monday, April 23, 2012

Pros: "Runs a very long time."

Cons: "Seat uncomfortable on long trips. Get one with pwr"

"I bought my 1996 Jeep used with 129,000 miles on it. I have driven it hard in MN and used it to move west in 2011. The car had a slight shifting problem when cold for the first few blocks but no other issues. The car was totally loaded as I drove up and down the mountains at the limit. That trip caused transmission problems that I have to this day. However, it has gone another 20,000 miles since then by babying it up the Grapevine (route 99)and is still going strong..."

Considering buying a Jeep? DO IT!

By on Thursday, April 05, 2012

Pros: "runs forever, fun to drive, goes anywhere"

Cons: "Gas Mileage"

"The older Jeeps(1993-2004) will run forever. Especially the 4.0 liter 6 cylinder engine. That particular engine could run to 400,000 miles before failing. But really, whats so great about these Jeeps? Well, here is my opinion: Pros: 1. Extremely safe. You get in a wreck with anything other than a dump-truck, and you will be fine. 2. Great, practical design. You don't have to be a master mechanic, but if you kinda have an idea of what you are doing, regular maintenance/small repairs on this car are a breeze. 3. Powerful engine, great for going out on the beach, or off-roading on the trails. 4. Great exterior design. As far as 90's cars go, these Jeeps are the most attractive(for its class(which is SUV)). Cons: 1. Gas is expensive. This cars doesn't have the gas mileage of a Honda civic. Just plan out where you're going, and don't race out of stoplights."

Best Car Ever

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

"The best car ive ever owned"

Love this truck in general

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, great price, lots of space"

Cons: "Wish it had a sun roof"

My green monster!

"For a 95, this is a pretty solid vehicle. I bought it from a used car dealership, and only paid $1400 for it (before the DMV fees). The leather seats are comfy, and I love that it has dual power seats, locks, and windows. The backseat is just big enough for 3 car seats, which is why I bought it. Huge trunk space, which is a definite plus with the huge strollers I have! The height is just right, not too tall or too short (I'm 5'2" with toddlers and wanted a vehicle higher up in case of accidents)."

My green monster!

A Really Good Vehicle

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "Goes anywhere you want with ease!"

Cons: "Gas mileage...."

"I have had the car for 13 years and it has never failed me in any way. I goes anywhere with the greatest of ease. It always starts (and always stops...) I would have given it a 10 across the board but I had one car I liked even better!"

This has been an Excellent Vehicle for our Family.

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "Limited slip differential"

Cons: "V8 Gas mileage averages 14.7"

"I purchased this 1997 vehicle new in the fall of 1996 and it's still going strong in 2012. The 1997 Grand Cherokee Laredo is a good vehicle year to own. We've encountered very few problems and the body is very well designed since there is no body rust."

I love my jeep

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

"I bought my jeep in 06 which by then it was 9 yrs. old and I only paid 2700 for it, it had high mileage, but I never regret buying this vehicle"

unbelievable power with great fwd

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "lots of cargo space and very cofortable"

Cons: "low mpgs"

"this truck is an ideal truck to trick out for a family fourwheeler."

i love this car. Great on and off road performance

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "overall great vehicle"

Cons: "none really"

"i really dont have any complaints about it. it gets decent gas milage for an old suv. comfortable driving even for a tall guy such as myself. absolute blast to drive in the snow. safe and secure traction for nomal driving in bad weather."

Great fun, awesome off road performance, powerful

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

"Powerful drive train. Very strong all around."

Great winter vehicle

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "4x4 is great. Comfy for 5. Lots of inside room"

Cons: "15 mpg."

"Great vehicle. Gas guzzler, but small price to pay in the winter. If you can afford a Jeep I'd recommend it. They are a bit pricey, but other than normal repairs it has performed well. Normal oil changes and checking the basics keeps them running well. Love my Jeep. Even with $4/gal gas I'm planning on keeping it."

Great Car For Nantucket Island

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

"Good in all conditions from MA to FL. Won't let you down."

It's done what I've asked

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, cheap maintenance, great power"

Cons: "gas mileage, normal fluid leaks"

"I bought this Jeep while I was in the military in Washington state. It has done everything I've asked from it and I'm not easy on anything I've ever owned. Bought it used with 185,000 miles and figured it was a matter of time before I had to start replacing everything on it. Thusfar, I've only replaced a wheel bearing that was bad when I bought it. It's had the normal problems with this model type, door wires being cut by the door jam and causing power windows to stop working but that was a 45 minute fix and cost about $6 in parts. It has some leaks from places but so long as I change oil in regular intervals (3,000-4,000 miles) it's never been a problem. The downsides to it is it gets horrible gas mileage. I average about 13-16 and I do mostly highway driving. But it is a AWD system in it so when it snows and rains and mother nature throws all sorts of things at me, I'm never stuck 'waiting it out' like a lot of my co workers. If I'm ever in a position where I need power the V8 under the hood puts power down to the 4-wheels and the Jeep is pretty surprisingly quick."

amazing SUV. has never left me stranded.

By on Monday, March 26, 2012

Pros: "unstoppable in snow, very powerful, and safe."

Cons: "nothing major i can think of to be honestl"

"i have a 93 grand cherokee. it has the 4.0 in it. i paid 900 bucks for it. im selling it and the only reason i am is to get a 99 cherokee sport :) id recommend older jeeps to ANYONE that needs something reliable."

Great Family/Country Jeep

By on Monday, March 26, 2012

Pros: "4wd, power everything, tinted windows, prem. sound"

Cons: "Gas Mileage"

"I'd always wanted a Jeep and this happened to be my first one, and it delivered everything I'd hoped it would do and more! Only downside is the gas mileage on the thing, but what do you expect from a 5.9L V8!? This vehicle was a champ; rain, snow, ice, sand - whatever it dealt with it with ease, almost felt like it laughed at roadblocks sometimes. And the premium sound system in it sounds awesome! Didn't even need to upgrade the speakers it sounded so nice. Overall a great vehicle, jeep makes them strong, this one's no different."

Good vehicle. Well built

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "Good gas mileage, great luxurious interior"

Cons: "Transmission tends to be hard to shift into"

"I have a 96 grand Cherokee Laredo and its a very nice vehicle. It has a straight 6 motor and it doesn't usually use it . I love the 4WD in the snow. Nothing can stop it hah but it gets about 16 city Nd around 26 hwy. very comfortable seating and I like how the seats come down for extra room . I thought I would need a truck but the jeep works just as well."

JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LAREDO

By on Thursday, March 22, 2012

Pros: "FUN TO DRIVE!"

"I LOVE THIS CAR!! VERY CONFORTABLE.."

Love my Jeep

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Never get stuck in snow, Back roads, Very spacious"

Cons: "I may have to retire it soon"

"My Jeep is affordable in repairs and has out lasted by far any car I have ever owned. I purchased a 2 yr old car last year and have put more money into then I have put into my Jeep in the last 10 yrs. If taken good care of a Jeep will take you places no others can go :)"