1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee

8.4

Based on 885 Ratings for the 1993 - 1998 models.

She's a Beast

By on Thursday, August 11, 2011

Pros: "Dependability, Reliability, and Many lifetime memories"

Cons: "Many small things go wrong"

"Bought her in 2004 and now it's 2011, she is still kicking. There have been many major and small repairs to the Jeep but that was the result of the "race car" driver i bought the Jeep from. If you take great care and dont beat on the gas/ off roads the Jeep will last till the tires fall off!"

Its a Jeep thing

By on Friday, April 08, 2011

"I bought this 93 Jeep when it was one year old with approx 15,000 miles on it. It now has 130,000 in 2011 & I'm still driving it every day. It is the most comfortable truck that I have ever owned and fits my purposes perfectly. I have the 4.0 six & Quadra drive. It goes thru anything, was even pushing snow up over the front bumper this winter & it just kept going. Very few problems with it, radiator & water pump were the most serious. I just replaced all rotors, drums & pads & linings on the brakes. I do most all work on it myself and most things are relatively easy to do. I replaced the cat converter several years ago only because I got tired of listening to the innards rattling at slow speeds. Would recommend changing axle, transmission & transfer case fluids on a regular basis as the fluids become contaminated & cause wheel hop in tight turns if you don't. I've always told my wife for years that I love my Jeep & won't give it up. I don't care how old it is, the new ones suck & have major mechanical issues compared to these old beaters. They are also more top heavy, tippy, & don't ride as nice, until you get to the 2011 model. That one is nice, but very pricey. The only real surprise you will get some day is when the plastic body cladding decides to fall off. Then you will discover that the rocker panels are gone & the bottoms of the doors are also gone. But what do you expect, mine is 18 years old and has spent its entire life in northern WI. If they still made the 93 thru 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee I'd be there today with money in hand to buy another one. If you're not a Jeep owner you wouldn't understand."

Best Car EVER!!

By on Sunday, March 27, 2011

"has 320K on it and runs like it has 100K i love this thing to death! I have the 4.0 inline 6 and its the best engine ever."

222,222 miles and still going

By on Sunday, July 18, 2010

"I don't even know where to start. This Jeep has been in the family since 1995 and we have put 222,000 miles on it without any major problems. The only downside for this vehicle is that the oil has to be changed...other than that i can live with the lower gas milage (i get about 14 for all my in city driving now and it was 16 when i lived out of town)...the interior of this vehicle is fantastic and everything still works after those 15 years...it is also something that is easy to work on."

It was decent

By on Wednesday, June 23, 2010

"My jeep has been good to me for the past year. Its great for snowy or off terrain surfaces if you live in the north west you know what im talking about. it does better than my moms jeep cherokee limited and its a 05 that has traction control. My jeep doesnt like to drift its diff and quadratrac does its job and im in high school. The down hill assist button that is located next to the ignition doesnt really work until you reach 35 mph for my jeep any ways I constintly use this feature because of the steep hills where I live. All the grand cherokees that i've ridden in, from a 98-05 all have a similar ride to them they like to wabble on bumby roads. It sometimes gets noisy from the wind but you can fix that problem easily with some wind diffusers or dynamat. Its exhaust is realitivly quiet. Towing capability, the jeep does outstanding when my step dad used to own it he would tow things constantly and not once did it show signs of trouble, but once he handed it down to me the only thing it tows is a bike rack. They do decent on gas milleage for a 98 5.2L V8 i average about 15.8 mpg between a daily commute from the gym, school, friends, and work. Thats about a total of 10-20 miles a day or a 10 to 15 minute drive, a full tank last me two weeks and two days exactly. But I also use a number of products to keep it that efficient between luckas motor oil prouducts to royal purble oil. The cooling system is alright again with royal purble i brought the coolant temp down 10 degrees cooler. I do constant check ups at my high school with basic maintence from tire rotations, to scan checks, fluid replacments, and it does fine. One issue that I have came across on my jeep is it used to wear down tires like crazy esspecially on the outside edges and I go the speed limit. I've only seen this problem on two jeep grand cherokees limiteds for my model type one being my own and some random guy in a parking lot. My team in autoshop realized the steering knuckle was being worn down simply because of the mileage I needed to either have to find new parts or do a complete front suspension rebuild. If you ever try to purchase this model make sure to do a test drive if you notice any unusual ride conditions, do a U-turn or reverse it. I had a weird situation when my steering knuckle was bad and it would jerk sometimes when I made sharp corners, but i fixed that issue, and another thing that would'nt be bad to have is a jeep grand cherokee fixing guide it showed all the nessary items you would need if something went wrong from differential issues, to engine for OEM purposes, that if your the type of person that likes to fix cars. this book came with my jeep when my step dad handed it down to me. This does great off roading and theirs plenty of mods for suspension for you all you mudding guys out there. This car wouldnt be bad to give someone younger, since its safe and reliable when it comes to bad conditions like snow. Overall its a good car just minor problems that occured in my jeep but if you look hard im sure you wont come across those same issues. Try to shoot for anything that is under about 120,000 miles. It shouldnt be that hard to find one since theirs a great abundance of them well for where I live at least."

GREAT VEHICLE!!!

By on Friday, January 29, 2010

"My wife and I bought a 1995 Grand Cherokee Laredo 1 yr. old in 1996. It has been the best vehicle we have ever owned, extremely reliable."

tons of fun

By on Friday, November 14, 2008

"I have had mine for four years and love it. The only problems have been mainly electrical and with the sensors and alarm. It has great amenities like the infinity gold sound system. It has done great in all types of weather, on and off of the road. Nice balance of luxury while still being affordable. Love it, just wish jeep had a similar new vehicle that was affordable."

Jeep

By on Sunday, September 21, 2008

"Best SUV ever!!! The 4.0 liter is unbreakable and it lasts forever. I recommend a Jeep."

Long Lasting Vehicle

By on Friday, August 01, 2008

"I bought this jeep in college. It was cheap and needed a few repairs. I just hoped it would make it until I could get out of school. But It turned out to be a great vehicle. After the initial repairs I seldom had to fix anything. I put well over 300K Miles on it and it was always faithful. It never left me broke down on the side of the road, not once. I recomed using a bottle of lucus stabalizer with every oil change. I believe this made a big difference in how long I kept it running. It never quit on me and I eventually had to sell it so I could replace it with a newer one. Bottom Line: Long Lasting Low Maintance Vehicle"

Jeep built

By on Wednesday, May 21, 2008

"I drive a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 6 cylinder, and get a great balance between performance and city/country averaged gas mph of 24mph consistently. On a long open-road trip, of course that figure goes up, but that 24mph is my normal life weekly average of in-town and country road short tripping that is my primary pattern. My Jeep at 13 years old has 235,340 miles and aside from a chip-box around 115,000 and a water pump has generally required only the usual replacements--brakes, tires, belts--and fluid & filter changes. I'm getting ready for a tune-up and a new set of sparkplugs- only the 2nd time in the vehicle's lifetime. My friend's 2002 Mustang with 52k miles rattles and buzzes so loudly in town and on open road you can't tune it out, but my Jeep looks, rides and drives solid--no one that sees it, rides in it or that drives it believes the odo. Steers, accelerates and brakes as clean and sure as when new. When I had the brakes redone 6mo ago, the mechanic asked me if I'd consider selling it to him. He was amazed how well it drove when he tested it after the brake job. He mentioned (and I already knew from my own wallet and history:) that Jeep replacement parts tended to be a bit costlier than many other brands but tended to be better quality which directly factors into how well they hold up if maintained properly."

Not Bad For the Time

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2008

"I bought my Larado new in '98 before SUV's were as sophisticated as today. I have 98000 miles with no mechanical problems other than replacing the water pump recently and rear bearings under warranty at almost 36000. The rear elelctric locks have recently failed but otherwise it has been completely reliable. It is noisy and rough riding by modern standards but the seats are very comfortable and it handles well for its type vehicle. Several long interstate trips in comfort. Fuel milage with the 6 is 18/23 real world. I plan to have it gone over completely by my mechanic and driving it for another 25-30000 miles. He says the engine is one of the best made."

By on Friday, April 18, 2008

"Bought it used 18 months ago. Rear end was noisy until fixed. Replaced muffler. Still has oil leak. Great ride. Fun to drive."

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2008

"my 1995 grand cherokee was my first vehicle when i was 16. I am still driving it. I had rather drive it than anything else. it is durable, safe, and i love it. It now has 192,000 miles and is still running strong. I now have a wrangler that i drive some too, but it doesnt compare to my grand cherokee. I will always have a jeep."

good suv

By on Friday, January 25, 2008

"I have owned my1995 grand cherokee for 10 yrs it had 43k miles on it when I got it it now has 119k.it has been very good,but the ac died at 45k but that is just like most of the dodge,jeeps from90 to2000.my all wheel drive was stuck in 4 wheel drive at 80k miles the part was a viscous coupler 800.00 for the part.other than that not much has gone wrong.it has never broke down.with the 5.2 liter it is a tank in the winter."

97 Grand TSI Rocks!

By on Monday, January 07, 2008

"The 97 Grand Cherokee Tsi Model is a great vehicle. Comfortable, easy to maintain and work on. The best vehicle I've had offroad in mud, snow, anything! I got the 4.oL straight 6cyl and wish I had the V8 for towing. Mileage difference not worth the sacrifice in power. It's got 190k on it and drives really nice. Aside from regular maintenance, I replaced: water pump, fuel pump, exhaust manifold twice (don't buy the cheap manifold, go with CarQuest), rear hatch shocks and rear light lens. I believe the shocks and power steering pump are next to replace. The electrical switches and fancy options all work, which is important since they are tough to fix. I would recommend this jeep to anyone willing to turn a wrench a little but not to someone without the ability or patience to maintain a high mileage vehicle."

VERY NICE RIDE !!

By on Saturday, January 05, 2008

"I HAVE BEEN DRIVING THIS VEHICLE FO SOME TIME NOW AND MIGHT I SAY IT HAS GOT TO BE THE BEST MOST POWERFUL TRUCK IVE DRIVEN... FOR ITS SIZE. Engine is huge and doesnt burn the amount of gas you think it would. 4 wheel drive tugs like a beast unleashed, WOULD DEFINENTLY RECOMMEND THIS VEHICLE TO MORE THAN A FRIEND. A+ truck."

problems!!!!

By on Monday, December 17, 2007

"rides, drives, and handles great. Lots of power and great in snow. Comfortable and stylish ( I think). Lots of sporadic electrical issues though. I'm afraid to park it in my garage in fear that it will end up burning the place down! Jeeps quality control here is lacking and its too bad since its a pretty nice vehicle otherwise."

By on Sunday, November 25, 2007

"Solid and dependable, still a looker after 10 years. One of the few vehicles able to make it as a daily driver in the harsh North Dakota winters. Leaves everything but the Tourags, Quattros, and Outbacks in the dust."

I'd buy it again

By on Monday, November 12, 2007

"I've had the Jeep since 1995. It's been paid off for 7 years now. I wish they were still making this exact model. I'd buy it agian."

Dependable and full featured

By on Thursday, November 08, 2007

"It has required very little maintainence. It is comfortable to ride in and has all the creature comforts of luxury cars but at a great value price."

GREAT VEHICLE

By on Friday, November 02, 2007

"OWNED THIS VEHICLE FOR 12 YEARS, GREAT PERFORMANCE."

Best Vehicle Ever

By on Sunday, October 28, 2007

"My Grand Cherokee Limited is the very best, most comfortable, most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. She has over 180,000 miles and is a pleasure to drive every day. No major problems only common maintenance items. My husband says I need to be thinking about trading her in. Me? I'm not ready to even entertain such a thought!"

Best Vehicle Ever Owned!!!!

By on Sunday, September 02, 2007

"197k miles still going strong, no complaints what so ever besides doing regular oil changes etc nothing major to speak of. Love the car going for a half a million miles is my goal. Original Owner 1996 Red Grand Cherokee.."

Work Horse

By on Friday, August 31, 2007

"We bought this car new in 1995. It's been a real work horse for our growing family ever since. Plus's, minimal maint., good size for city driving/parking, powerful, great for driving to mountains, trailoring my boat... Minus's - gas mileage, size as our family has grown. OK, so if it got better gas mileage, it wouldn't be so powerful, and if it were bigger, I couldn't park it as easily. You can't have it all."

Great long lasting

By on Monday, July 30, 2007

"I have had this for 12 years. put every mile on it myself. It has 178,000 miles on it and the dealership says it can still get more. only a few maintance things, but being and american car. it doesn't cost much to fix!"