• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2009 Jeep Compass

7.2

Based on 361 Ratings for the 2007 - 2010 models.

7.4/10
    7.5/10

Love my Compass!!

By on Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Pros: "Price, Cup holders, fun, comfortable, reliable,MPG"

Cons: "Sensitive gas petal"

"I have always owned Jeep's and this one is definitely a great car! The price is so amazing for the value you receive. I bought the car is 2011 and I have had all my routine service done on it and I have not had any problems. the only negative thing I have to say about the car is that the gas petal is very sensitive so that will have to be something to get used to ( it was a huge adjustment going from my '99 4 cylinder Wrangler to the Compass but it only took a week or so to adjust. It is very comfortable and definitely worth taking a look at and possibly test driving."

Never failed me

By on Saturday, March 30, 2013

Pros: "Sturdy construction, lots of room."

Cons: "less than 30 mpg hwy"

"I am a female owner of his car for 5 years. I put over 160k on it myself. Cost of ownership has been low. Only regular maintainance has been needed. I could do the tune up myself. Easy to change the oil at home, too. It has been a great car."

Worst Purchase EVER!!!

By on Wednesday, March 27, 2013

"We bought this vehicle 6 months ago. It was used and had 50k miles and had a "clean" car fax. Within 1 month it broke down and had to be towed to the nearest dealership. 2 months later it did the same thing and had to be towed again. 1 month later it had to be towed yet again. It turns out that this year model has issues with the computer and the computer has to be reset on a very frequent basis. Chrysler has no fix for this problem and, as far as we can find out, has no plans to develop one. I would recommend that if anyone is considering buying a Compass - STAY AWAY"

Looks better than it drives

By on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pros: "looks like a mini grand cherokee"

Cons: "Everything else"

"For a 4 cylinder, it is OK. I really miss the room of my Liberty...Why I ever bought this vehicle is beyond me. I liked it because it had the look of the grand cherokee...but that is about it. Other than that, it has a lot of things lacking. Very basic and cheap on the inside. Get the patriot limited instead. I am headed for a trade in, and I only owned this jeep since late 2011. I really miss my Liberty."

Good enough for the price.

By on Saturday, February 16, 2013

Pros: "Good price, folding seats, front grill."

Cons: "Plastic interior, engine performance, looks."

"Review of wife's mini-SUV. Exterior: Looks like a mini Grand Cherokee, but that is a good thing as the Compass needs it. Besides the grill, the rest of the car is hideous from other angles. Interior: Love plastic and basic? Then the Compass is for you. Backseats fold down making more room for storage. For 2011, one would hope Jeep would have iPod access/USB input standard by now, not the case. Performance: City driving is fine, at least that's what the wife says. Most of my driving in this car is on the highway. The 2.4L 4 is just insufficient at posted highway speeds, you'll spend alot of time up in the upper revs trying to pass. I have installed a K&N air filter, didn't see much for gains, maybe 2-3 mpg. Overall: Perfect for the wife and short trips around town and work commute. 2 adults can fit in back, but the car feels loaded. As basic as the car is, she got a pretty good deal with a trade in, so no complaints there. She's happy with it."

I love my Compass Latitude on country roads

By on Friday, January 25, 2013

Pros: "priced right, fun to drive, looks cool"

Cons: "not as comfy as my old Lincoln, but that's OK"

"It's perfect for me. Not comfy like my Lincoln was, but better for my travels here in the north woods. Good enough mileage, remote start is great feature, gadgets and visual interior laid out for simple adjustments. Good visibility. Price was affordable and looks/color are awesome. I'll report again after a few more thous. miles on the Compass .. for now, it's ggrrreeeat."

Good Value - 4x4

By on Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pros: "Looks, 4x4 safe feeling behind the wheel price"

Cons: "Could use alittle more horse power"

"Good value 4x4. Great highway mileage.Safe feeling interior.It could use a little more horse power.but im not on the race track.Great looking exterior.easy to handle and very impressive in the snow.Go Test drive one, and see for yourself."

Don't ever buy a Jeep Compass, EVER!

By on Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Pros: "Nothing good to say at all. Dont buy a Jeep Compas"

Cons: "Don't buy a Jeep Compass"

"My daughter bought this thing used about a year ago a 2007 Jeep Compass 4WD, 2.4L. Have had nothing but problems with it. The alternator went out. The A/C is terrable. Leaks oil and water from who knows where. Currently has a check engine light on that comes back to the Crankshaft Position Sensor, well the Jeep dealership can't fix it because it has an "oddball" (their words) sensor that they dont have and cannot get! So now what do I do??? Eventually it will go all the way out and leave her stranded. Don't ever buy a Jeep Compass for sure and probably any other Jeep SUV."

NEVER AGAIN!

By on Thursday, November 15, 2012

Pros: "Looks nice"

Cons: "See Above"

"I fell in love with the compass when I saw it on the lot. The first year was ok; Then the problems started. I have had to put at least a thoudand dollars in repairs each year I've owned it. The entire suspension system went plus many other problems too numerous to write. My mechanic told me they refer to the COMPASS as COME PAY US. My son just bought a new vehicle, he loves the look of my Compass, when I showed him all the bills, he quickly made another choice. I have called Jeep, my mechanic has called jeep and their answer has been; "Well that was one of the newer compasses, we've improved on the problems, yes we are aware of the problems." Of course even with the great? warranty, NOTHING has been covered. I promise you I will NEVER buy another compass.......EVER!"

Great Milage

By on Monday, October 29, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Loud road noise"

"I love the comfort of the seats on a road trip. Great vehicle! The only down side is the noise from the tires, it is kinda loud. Other than that it is great."

I am really glad I bought it

By on Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Pros: "Room, Comfort, 4WD, Drivability, Quality, Ride"

Cons: "Small gas tank, Mileage, & Sluggish Acceleration"

"Given the price of this vehicle I was able to upgrade to the Limited adding numerous options and the price was still very reasonable. I got the 4WD, Leather, 430N sound system with UConnect, among others. All of this adds up to a very enjoyable driving experience. I've taken this on 2 long trips with a total of 4 people in the car and everyone agreed that it is roomy and comfortable, especially for a car this size. I agree with some other reviewers who were disappointed in the small 13 gallon gas tank. Also, I thought I would get slightly better gas mileage running it in 2WD. In summary, I am really enjoying the car and would totally recommend it. The initial quality seems great. I totally love the feel of the vehicle and the ride."

Love it!

By on Thursday, October 18, 2012

"I have and love the jeep compass! I've had it for 5 years and it has never had any issues. Very smooth and easy to drive. I love how the back is hard plastic rather than carpet so its much easier to clean and I can just toss the dogs in the back and not have to worry. Definitlty something to consider!"

This has been a very dependable little cross over.

By on Monday, October 08, 2012

"This is my wifes daily driver we took it on a 1600 mile road trip. I love the way it handles it doesn't have the pick up of a v8, but the gas mileage makes up for it. It has plenty of power for city driving. The cargo area is very small so concider this when you purchase. All in all it is a very nice ride for the money."

Save your time and money. This car is not worth it

By on Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pros: "there is nothing good about this car...."

Cons: "see the very long list below"

"I bought this car about four months ago and it has caused me nothing but trouble from the get go. As soon as I was off the lot the passenger mirror broke. Since then it has been in the shop 3 times and is about to go back again. The first time was a routine oil change, the second, it was not accelerating as it should, they told me that the computer was getting used to my driving habits. The third time all FOUR tires were low, and this time the car hesitates or just does not go when accelerator is compressed. I am constantly having to find a comfortable position for driving because the drivers seat is weird, the gas milage is horrible and the tank is way to small for an suv. There is nothing inside the car, no USB, thankfully it has a CD player and a ridiculous aux. port. Also it deprecates way to fast, $10000 in four months??!?? Ive had it with this car, and am currently looking for another, even if I still owe way too much on it, its not worth the hassle or the stress"

Love My Jeep Compass

By on Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Pros: "great design, fun to drive, off-road"

Cons: "Nothing to say."

"Way much better than the other compact SUVs. Well built. No problems. Runs great. Capable of Off-Road. I drove it through a lot wild mountains and creeks and on snow. Great capability! Just changed oil and rotated tires. No problems at all."

I drove 7 small SUV and this is the best value

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Pros: "Price comfort style"

Cons: "Gas mileage could better"

"So surprised glad I drove it was not even thinking of the jeep brand"

Really a great 4x4 with great looks

By on Saturday, August 18, 2012

Pros: "Looks, Price, comfort and that Jeep look"

Cons: "No daytime running lamps and auto headlights"

"I have had this vehicle about 2 months and I love it. I have the Latitude trim line with the Altitude package in all Black. I tinted the windows a bit darker and finished the front end with film protection and put chrome mirrors and door handles on the vehicle. Boy! it really gets the stares and good comments. So far I am getting about 20mpg in the city and 26 on hwy , good but not great. Love the transmission's ability to go manual and also the Uconnect and voice command I have owned GM products previously and will definately buy a Jeep again."

So far... So good :)

By on Thursday, July 26, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, plenty of space, beautiful interior"

Cons: "doesn't have 4x4 on my Compass :("

"I am in love with my 2010 Compass. If there would be anything that I could change, I would have bought a Compass with 4X4 drive; however I have not had the chance to play in the snow. Not saying that I will play in the snow, but it will be nice to know how the vehicle handles when there is a foot of snow laying on the ground. Also, I have just figured out how to work the slap-shift and let me say, I love it!! But, of course the mpg decreases when only using the slap-shift for take off.. lol. All-in-all... GREAT CAR at a GREAT PRICE!!!"

good value

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Pros: "ok on gas ,handles ok"

Cons: "bottoms out on bumpy roads ,original tires cheap!"

"during six years of driving only replaced set of tires and a battery.No major repairs"

It sucks

By on Sunday, July 22, 2012

Pros: "Looks nice"

Cons: "Sucks to own"

"Has no power. Doesn't get the gas mileage it says. Randomly shuts off when turning but they won't do anything about it."

Poor performer

By on Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Reason: Noisy transmission, no acceleration

Pros: "Affordability, decent cargo space"

Cons: "Transmission and acceleration"

"Liked the look of the front end of this vehicle and its affordability but regrettably overlooked its two major shortcomings; noisy cvt transmission and poor acceleration. At 15,000 miles in 9 months, I traded this vehicle for a Grand Cherokee. Check out a basic Grand Cherokee before purchasing the Compass. The surprisingly little extra money to buy the Grand Cherokee will be money well spent. Trade in value was awful on the compass. This is the worse vehicles I have ever owned for driving experience. Reliability and fuel economy ok, but a small gas tank and painfully slow acceleration (requiring me to floor the accelerator to pass a semi or get up a hill) meant I was always in the gas station. Never could get use to the cvt transmission. A manual transmission would have been more enjoyable! my husband and teenager daughter agreed this car had to go."

I hate it

By on Monday, July 09, 2012

Pros: "space"

Cons: "problem with some gas code or something like that."

"I been having problems witht his car since I bought it. I have visit the dealer 6 times with some gases check engine light leak. They say is the sensors and some more stuff and still have the problem. If someone had the problem and fix it I will be please to now how."

Worst vehicle on the market. Never, never buy it.

By on Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Pros: "nice looking"

Cons: "Poor quality, major repairs in a short time."

"My jeep is a 2008, bought in 2008 used with 14,000 miles on it. Today, four years later, it has only 34,619 miles on it and I just spent $1330 in repairs. The ball joints, tie rods, two tires and brakes needed to be replaced. To add insult to injury, the car has a rejection sticker on it. There is no quality to this car. My mechanic called the dealer and was told this is typical of jeep compasses. How bad is that?"

Junk suspension

By on Monday, May 14, 2012

Pros: "Good grocery getter"

Cons: "poor susp/steering design/material"

"If you like replacing the lower control arms/ball joints every 30,000 miles, this is the car for you. I have a friend who also had the same problem and solved it by geting rid of it. Since Chrysler won't stand behind it, that appears to be the best solution. The dealer considers it normal ware. JUNK!"

2012 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4 4 cyl, mineral grey

By on Friday, April 27, 2012

Pros: "Nice to drive, remote start, heated seats"

Cons: "Pricey, poorly controlled cruise"

"I bought this vehicle in Nov. 2011, and I have only minimal complaints. For the price I paid, I feel it should have some of the minor conveniences my old Grand Cherokee had (rear glass lift, mpg calculator/dash computer controls, dual automatic up/down window controls, etc). That being said, there are several qualities I love: reclining 60/40 bench rear seat, heated seats, Sirius radio, aux jack, fog lights, flat-folding passenger seat, and my remote start. My husband and I are remodeling our house, and we have been able to haul most of our supplies (including 8ft pieces of lumber and landscape beams). I was also able to haul several bags of soil and mulch, with no noticeable driving difference. I like the way it drives better than my Grand Cherokee; it handles more like a car than a large SUV (understandably). Four adults are able to fit comfortably (but five is stretching it a bit). There have been no mechanical problems yet. This was obviously not built for serious off-roading, but I have had no problems on some of our more treacherous back roads in the area. I average about 23mpg, city/hwy combined. I live in an area with a lot of hills, and the cruise control doesn't handle that on the interstate as well as some of my previous cars. If I have it set on 73, I can vary anywhere between 65-75. The four-wheel drive performed well in the little bit of snow we had this winter. Overall I am very happy with it, as is my husband."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Jeep Compass near Honolulu. See local deals