2014 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $22,252 - $22,929.

10/7.4

7.3

Based on 78 Ratings for the 2014 - 2015 models.

7.2/10
    7.5/10
    7.6/10
Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

No for more bad news

By on Friday, May 08, 2015

Pros: "Agressive design and sharp interior"

Cons: "Transmission and gutless motor"

"Gosh I had high hopes for this lease vehicle. It has several nice interior design touches and the exterior has eye pleasing lines with an aggressive front end. BUT...as an earlier reviewer stated...TRANSMISSION, TRANSMISSION, TRANSMISSION. I already need a transmission!?! KBB gave the vehicle high marks based on the German designed 9 speed tranny...too bad it don't work! Can't recommend the model at this point."

Annoying unresolveable wind noise

By on Wednesday, May 06, 2015

Pros: "Great interior features, good handling"

Cons: "Please refer to review above"

"There is an extremely annoying noise created from the gap between the hatch and the size of the seal. Per Jeep and two dealer evaluations, this is "a characteristic of the model". Beyond maddening, 30K+ for a wind bucket"

Great Bang for the Buck

By on Saturday, May 02, 2015

Pros: "Hi-tech options, reasonable price, fun, dependable"

Cons: "Limited storage, bugs that come with new tech"

"I've owned the KL Trailhawk for about a year now and used it for everything from a week-long trip through 6 states and back to daily commuter. I haven't really had it off-road yet but I have driven it in snow several times. Jeep has done an outstanding job with this vehicle. I got the tech package that includes options such as adaptive cruise control, forward collision avoidance, active lane sense (actually pulls the car back into proper lane if wandering), automatic wipers and headlights (and high-beams) and even park assist. These are options not normally available at this pricepoint. The V6 has excellent power and the stock tires are grippy yet give a smooth ride on the highway. It's not the best vehicle available for any single purpose but it does everything I've thrown at well. The interior design is very nice, especially with the leather package and I actually like the exterior design (the main point of contention from it's most vocal critics). I think Fiat/Jeep could have saved a lot of grief by just giving it a different name and the "purists" would have been happy(er anyway). The only gripes I have are the limited storage (I knew this when I bought it though) and the new 9 speed tranny takes a little getting used to. Generally, you don't notice the transmission but there are times when it shows it's new tech and still has a few bugs - like when I slow almost to a stop and hit the accelerator again it wants to stay in 3rd and I can either force a downshift or just wait it out as rpms slowly increase. Sport mode seems to alleviate the issue but it's not that big of a deal to me. They've already released updates for the transmission and I'm hopeful more are coming. This is a minor gripe and many people probably wouldn't even notice it if they experienced it. Overall, I think the KL is a great value. It's fun to drive, fairly economical and a great conversation starter."

Good All Around Vehicle for City/Burbs and Cruisin

By on Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pros: "Quality Interior, Sound Ride, Sleek Styling"

Cons: "Occassonally Sluggish Transmission"

"I traded in my Jeep Wrangler for the more civilized Jeep Cherokee to ride around town. Here's my take: I opted for the gas friendly V4 and have not been disappointed. Around town I average 23-24mpg but once you hit the highway it's a dream. Although some say it's sluggish I think its fine for a vehicle this size. Four cylinder engines have come a long way. The nine speed transmission is usually smooth but will jump once in a while from 2nd to 3rd gears. The inside of the Cherokee Limited is well appointed and reminded me of an Acura. I love the Nappa Leather seats and cockpit which include a 3.5" color screen in its cluster. Favorite features include the keyless ignition, adaptive cruise control, automatic headlights and the 8.4 inch touchscreen. The style of the Jeep Cherokee is very appealing. I choose the EcoGreen color and have already gotten several complements. Although different, I applaud the bent grill design and sleek body lines. The alloy wheels and LED lights add a touch of sophistication. Overall the Jeep Cherokee is much better than the Wrangler I had and that was a great car!"

excellent car

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "great price"

"we purchased the trailhook couple weeks ago which is 2014 v6 3.2 and I absolutely love it . Great suv and in the same time not a huge suv I love it the way it looks it rides great very very comfortable although it has off-road suspension and I think it's a luxury suv from the inside and great looks from the outside however my wife doesn't really like the way it looks from outside she said it's kinda manly looking I guess that's why I love I think it's different it has great power but so far so good only 1500 miles . As far as mpg I get 29 mpg on highway only on cruise control which is most of my driving which I think it awesome for a v6 4 by 4 . Not so sure about the uconnect app it takes a really long time to send the signal to your car to lock or unlock or remote start but I don't really care so much about since I use my keys to do that anyway and it's free for 1 year . Very nice size screen , lots of options 100k miles powetrain warranty can't ask for more . Good luck to you shopping for a new car."

Issues with Headlights and Transmission

By on Thursday, March 20, 2014

Pros: "Interior design and layout, solid "feel""

Cons: "Water inside headlights, transmission "sticks""

"I purchased a new 2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude mid-December 2013. Approximately two weeks later, I noticed that significant amounts of water had collected on the inside of both headlights. I returned the car to the Jeep dealership where they replaced both headlights citing a Service Bulletin which acknowledged the potential for condensation in the lights. A week later, on a 5 degree night , I found frost built-up on the inside of one of the new headlights; I brought the car back to Jeep. This time, however, the service department used the Service Bulletin (SB 08-086-13) to justify not replacing the lights. The Bulletin maintains that the condition is acceptable in that it "will usually clear as atmospheric conditions change (I kid you not) to allow the condensation to change back into a vapor. Turning the lights on will usually accelerate the process." In other words, the deficiencies in the headlights design, manufacturing process, and/ or installation are to be addressed by the actions of the customer (or apparently Mother Nature), not Jeep. In the numerous discussions with sales, service and corporate customer service, representatives agreed the Bulletin does not address the issue (from a customer standpoint) but insisted that there was nothing they could do. My corporate Case Manager has closed my file all while noting he had received multiple complaints related to the dullness of the lights . In addition to the headlight issue, the transmission tends to "stick" or "hang-up" during transitions between gears, especially at speeds under 25 mph. This condition is intermittent and varies in degree of severity but tends to be more pronounced when descending in speed. In the more extreme cases a "clunking" noise/vibration was felt which emanated from the bottom of the car. Jeep updated the transmission software program but this resulted in no noticeable improvement. Note - With Active Drive I, there is no mechanism to manually engage full-time 4 wheel drive. The Selec- Terrain dial which puts the car into Snow, Mud, etc. mode does not put the car into 4-wheel drive - it adjusts other systems. With Active Drive II there is a Rear Axle Lock which is available (i.e., the car is simply an AWD without it). I only mention this because the sales department was apparently trained otherwise; I needed to go to Jeep corporate to get clarification. One final thought - the customer will do most of the "homework" in trying to resolve these issues. Sales sent me to service, service commented that maybe corporate had a new light design in the works (i.e., the customer should call corporate), corporate asked me if I would ask the service department if they had a different light that could be installed, etc. All good questions that should have been tracked down and answered by someone who took ownership of the issue - FROM JEEP! Meanwhile I have a car the family is hesitant to drive because of headlights that could become significantly impaired and the transmission."

Trailhawk exceeds my expectations

By on Monday, January 06, 2014

Pros: "Nice size. Fun to drive. Great in snow."

Cons: "Trailhawk model's gas mileage seems to be less."

"I purchased the Trailhawk model a month ago. I am very happy with it. Sometimes the ride seems a bit bouncy but I expect that with an off road capable SUV. It feels sturdy and able to handle any road conditions. The interior is comfortable and tech savvy. The Trailhawk's gas mileage seems to be less than the other models. Overall I think it's a great vehicle that fits my needs perfectly."

Great Ride! Excellent technology

By on Thursday, December 19, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, very quiet. Lights are great."

"Great ride, even going over pot holes and driving on rough roads this vehicle has a very nice ride. We got the FWD not needing a 4x4 since we don't do off road driving. The 2.4 engine has plenty of power. MPG seem like they will be an improvement over the Compass we had. First tank got 26.6 MPG according to dash computer. Being new and still breaking in I think that is great."

Met and Exceeded Expectations

By on Saturday, December 14, 2013

Pros: "see review"

Cons: "front/rear fenders...very limited on tire upgrades"

"I traded a 2012 wrangler for the trailhawk after just one test drive. -Lumbar support on the seats are amazing and i favor the seats more than my SL600. -The uconnect is pretty self explanatory however quite intimidating at first if your not used to all the tech in a vehicle. -Sound System is amazing for stock. I initially thought mine came with the upgraded audio...to find out it didn't, i was still content. -9 speed auto is self adjusting to drivers habits and theres plenty of pep for the 3.2 v6. -The ability to take tight turns due to its strengthened car chassis w/ a combination of great engineering makes it very confident to drive. -Rear Seats are great but could use a little more freedom to recline further. -Rear compartment is spacious enough for MY needs and fits my 2 medium sized dogs. -heated seats quick to heat up and the whole steering wheel is heated...unlike most cars that have it. Overall, from a consumer standpoint, it fits the bill as a dual purpose capable vehicle. Updatable software to match with the times, led instrumentation that isn't harsh on the eyes at night, fun to drive, great on gas, unique, and a lot of bang for the buck with great visibility throughout (left/right, and my panoramic moonroof) btw, i have a trailhawk, aired down my tires to 30psi and the performance is amazing. Harsh doesn't even describe the new cherokee as others state even when fully aired up. The suspension alone absorbs road abnormalities. This vehicle is a win....November sales records speak for itself."

the complete CUV under $35,000

By on Thursday, March 12, 2015

Pros: "Quite interior confortable seating great handleing"

Cons: "small back"

"First get the V6. The Cherokee is a heavy vehicle it needs the bigger engine. You will sacrifice a couple MPG's but it is worth it. The interior is well appointed and quite. Great handling on the road and with the 9 speed highway driving is a breeze and off road well it's jeep. If you really go off roading then go with active drive 2 otherwise active drive 1 will do the trick for snow or driving on the beach. The only real competitors I found were thousands of dollars more. This a really value play in my opinion for what you get. For around additional $2000 you can a lifetime warranty which I recommend because the Cherokee is computer on wheels"

Transmission Headache

By on Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Pros: "Nice interior"

Cons: "Transmission"

"Purchased a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude V6 in May. Transmission began shifting poorly on drive home from dealership. Worsened over next several days and returned to service department with 180 miles. Service reprogrammed transmission with slight improvement. Transmission still shutters in lower gears, headlights fog up after carwash, transmission sometimes makes noise after turning off engine and exiting vehicle. Having intermittent failure of radio and camera."

This is the BEST in Class of small SUVs.

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "Love to drive it and love the features."

Cons: "NONE"

"The Jeep reliability and toughness made this a no brainer as I have traveled the back roads of Colorado since 1987. I have used everything from my bought new 1978 International Scout, 2003 Durango, and now the 2014 Cherokee. It performed as well on four wheel drive trails as the other two with a superb level of comfort and conveniences. The gas mileage is better than EPA estimates with 24 city and 28 hwy. It has the Active Drive II with the 3.2 liter engine and is a fully loaded Limited. The pleasing part is the ride and handling. I rented the Escape, CRV, and RAV4 before ordering my Cherokee Oct 2013. It arrived Nov 8th. Everything works as advertised and is very convenient to use. The city driving and parking dynamics are great. It is my daily driver while the Challenger SRT8 is a fair weather auto. It fits the garage easily with the rear hatch door clearing the open garage door overhead. Good planning. I love the styling both on the exterior and interior. The interior materials and layout is superior to the three other SUVs I drove. Jeep got this right from the start."

Love it. Awesome car for the money.

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

Pros: "Great Price, comfortable seats, smooth ride"

Cons: "haven't found any yet!"

"I had been looking at buying a new car for about six months. I was looking at the Grand Cherokees and really wanted the limited but did not want to spend as much on it. I am glad they brought the Cherokee back. For the limited I saved over 10000 and it is every bit the car that the Grand is just a smaller version. The 8.4" screen with navigation, and rear camera are very nice to have . If you are thinking of getting this car and are not sure since it is new, I recommend going for a test drive. You will fall in love with it like I did. The Uconnect feature on this car is great. I love to use it to remote start my car with my cell phone. Very quiet running and a smooth ride"

Worst transmission ever

By on Saturday, November 22, 2014

Pros: "looks good great gas mileage (v-6)"

Cons: "transmission"

"Love the whole Cherokee looks nice, great mileage, handles well, and then there is the transmission I have had it for 10 months and have taken it back 4 times, it stayed over 3 times. I have been told the jerking is normal as the transmission is looking to give me the best mileage, also that the transmission is designed this way and nothing is wrong. The last visit 2 weeks ago they unloaded all of the software then reloaded it and made some enhancements to the transmission, it was great for 1and 1/2 days then back to what it has been doing all along."

Really worth a look. Beat's all the competition.

By on Monday, December 23, 2013

Pros: "Build quality, value for your money."

Cons: "Replacement part availability is still lacking."

Pic of my 2014 Cherokee Latitude

"Bought my 2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude FWD 11/16/13. So far I totally love this vehicle. Chrysler has done a great job in fit and finish. Much better than vehicles of just a few years ago. Those in the market for a midsize SUV need to look and drive one of these. Makes the competition this competes with look very bad in comparison. V6 is great. 9 speed transmission works very well. Take a look at one and you will see how nice they are."

Pic of my 2014 Cherokee Latitude

Love It

By on Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, classy, technology."

"Bought this car a week ago and love it. Very comfortable, quiet, and classy. Interior is very high quality and well thought out. Touch screen system is easy to understand and learn. Love the full length from front to back sun/moon roof. No complaints so far. Much better than our previous suv, a Subaru Tribeca."

One is not enough

By on Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Pros: "Many"

Cons: "Few...maybe none"

"Bought a FWD Limited last November , my wife drove it through one of the worst winters in Chicago with no problems. She loves it. I love it so much I bought a 4x4 Latiude for myself. I pick it up tomorrow, my 4th Jeep"

Outstanding SUV

By on Saturday, January 25, 2014

Pros: "Nice vehicle"

Cons: "No spare tire."

"Just completed a 3500 mile road trip no problems, very comfortable ride. I have the Technology package with the Adaptive Cruise Control which is outstanding. I averaged 33.2 MPG with the 6 cyl according to the trip computer. Used the cruise control 99 % of the time. The Uconnect is very easy to use. I traded in a 2013 Chevy Equinox. The Cherokee is much more comfortable."

2014 Cherokee - Great Ride

By on Sunday, December 08, 2013

Pros: "Value, Aesthetics, Build Quality and Ride"

Cons: "Electic passenger seat not available"

"We have owned this car for about 1 month with 1400 miles on it. The new Cherokee is a great car at an extremely reasonable price. We were looking for a car for about 2 years, wanting to replace our 2005 Volvo XC70. We test drove almost everything including RAV4, MB GLK, MB ML 350, Volvo XC60 and XC70, BMWs, Honda CRVs, Kias, Audis…you name it, we drove it. Once the Cherokee was announced we decided to wait for it, since we had finally narrowed the search to the XC60, the Grand Cherokee or the Cherokee. Once we finally drove the Cherokee it was love at first site and drive. We purchased a Limited 4X4 with the Pentastar V6 completely loaded – the car is a bargain. It handles really well, the interior is every bit as nice as any of the cars we drove (nicer than most), the engine is smooth and efficient-we got 27.5 mpg on our first road trip, with about 21 mpg in mixed driving. We love the size of the vehicle - not too big, not too small. The technology package is very nice with blind spot detection, lane change alert and auto high beams. If you are even thinking about this car…go drive it!!"

Transmission & oil leaks

By on Thursday, December 04, 2014

Pros: "Drives ok when not in shop"

Cons: "Leaks! Leaks! leaks!"

"I brought my 2014 jeep Cherokee in for an oil change. After waiting a while, I was informed the car was leaking transmission fluid and needed to stay at the dealer's. They took 2 weeks to fix transmission leak and 3 weeks later it started leaking motor oil. I took it back to the dealer for a week and they replaced the oil pump. One week after the car is back at the dealer because it's leaking oil again and I am beside myself. I've had this car for less than a year (9000 miles) and I'm on my 3rd loaner car. I asked about trading it in and I was offered $7000 less than I paid for it. This is the most trouble I ever had with a new car."

Dissappointed

By on Monday, November 03, 2014

Pros: "Great mileage and easy to drive."

Cons: "Hard to get use to transmission at start and stop."

"At 10000 miles I started having trouble with the transmission and took it to the dealership where they had to reset some items for recall and to make it not stall, jerk and loose power. Now with 14500 miles on it I have the same situation. 5 times in the last week I got stuck in traffic and was put in harms way. It may have been a good idea at the time but I am tired of feeling that I will not make it to where I am going....."

An amazing suv

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

I own this car

Pros: "solid vehicle, strong and fast v-6"

Cons: "none so far"

"I purchased my 2014 Cherokee limited 4x4 with the v-6 and love it. All the features are great and the heated seats are perfect for my ailing back. I find myself finding reasons to drive it because it's so nice. This is absolutely the nicest vehicle I've owned and being close to retirement I'm looking forward to day trips."

Best JEEP i've owned

By on Monday, May 26, 2014

Pros: "Gas mileage,Handling,LOOK,"

Cons: "Cargo space,"

2014 Cherokee

"Having owned 3 other Jeeps in the last 15 years i can honestly say THIS BY FAR IS THE BEST ONE YET!! The 4x4 latitude 6 cyl 3.2L got me through every snow storm this winter with my 120 mile round trip commute.The Cherokee handles well. I opted for the comfort/convenience package. with the 8.4" touch. Highway gas mileage is GREAT i'm averaging 29.7 MPG with my cruise control set at 64 MPH.( 6cylinder Jeep who would of ever thought!! )Interior is of quality material and roomy. Dash display is well lite and modern.The 9 speed tranny at times seem jittery in 1st-2nd gear but not out of the norm. with 271 hp it's got the pep for what your need.And finally having owned Jeeps before i love the direction JEEP is heading with the NEW LOOK!!!!"

2014 Cherokee

Great ride, but not reliable.

By on Monday, July 14, 2014

Pros: "Smooth ride, great interface"

Cons: "Leather, bad visibility, failed transmission"

"I purchased this vehicle in January of 2014 and loved it. I drove it as a commuter and around town. After 4 months I noticed the leather seats are not very durable. Average use caused the leather to crease badly, nearly cracking. I've owned several cars with leather and this was the least durable. I have to apply extra leather treatment products to prevent the leather from wearing further. After only 8,000 I also went to get the transmission reflashed. Jeep released an update in May for the transmission. I was hoping it would cure the hard shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. The day after I brought it in and was told there was no update for my vehicle (the service department did not have the most recent updates) my transmission failed. I own the Trailhawk and like the ride. It's very smooth, cruises at a low RPM with little road noise. The interface is great. However, visibility is very bad, the front pillars block a lot of the view while turning. Also, the transmission shifted hard between certain gears then went out after only 8,000 miles. I also hardly got the 25 mpg highway rating for the V6 engine. In addition each Jeep dealership I've dealt with have not been helpful. I would not recommend buying a Cherokee or a Jeep in general."

WOW...what a great vehicle

By on Friday, November 07, 2014

Pros: "interior, infotainment (8AN), ride, comfort, looks"

Cons: "no tonneau cover ($75) included"

"My wife and I love our 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I decided to go after the 2015 Jeep Cherokee for myself (after a year of drooling over the JGC). I've never been happier! First, we have parity in the 8AN infotainment system, plus mine is updated with "polished edges." The JPC is a 3.6L V6 and perfect, mines the 3.2L V6. In my break-in period (350 miles), I averaged on highway driving (80% of the time) 25.8 MPG. I expect it to improve once the engine settles in and the 9-speed transmission timing starts kicking in. I have the Active Drive II and tow-package so the suspension is stiffer and my efficiency probably takes a 1-2 MPG hit. I loaded it with everything EXCEPT the SafetyTec and Technology Packages. Why? For $2000, I figured I will stay awake while I drive, turn my head to lane change, and remember how I learned to park 20+ years ago...it is a small SUV after all. I do love the Cold Weather package with auto programmed heated steering wheel and driver seat. (We live in New England.) The ride is smooth, the shifting is smooth (perhaps one of the edges "polished" from the 2014 model), the interior is top-notch, but limited in space as you would expect. (If you want the maximum interior space, go for the RAV4 in this category.). Based on our 2014 JGC reliability, and the year to "polish edges," I'm looking forward to a very happy experience. Only gripe...be expected to find the most popular accessory items in short supply, and in the 2015 removed as "standard" vs. 2014...so you can pay more for them, of course."

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next