2014 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $22,257 - $22,852.

10/7.4

7.4

Based on 62 Ratings for the 2014 - 2015 models.

7.5/10
    7.6/10
Previous | 1 2 3 | Next

Most advanced small suv on the market !

By on Sunday, March 01, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive in any climate."

Cons: "did not have seat memory settings"

"Purchased a Trailhawk Cherokee with a V6 have had no transmission problems or heating problems or even headlight problems . The ride is smooth sucks up the potholes with no problems and goes through the snow with ease. The tech is amazing in these vehicles it is fully loaded with all options and is totally user friendly . Would definitely recommend this vehicle over all other vehicles in this class and it can actually go off road unlike the wonna be SUVs like the Toyota rav4 and Honda crv they are nothing but small and tall station wagons ."

poor performance

By on Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Pros: "looks good"

"The transmission is poorly engineered. When you go from first gear you are push back in your seat. It gives you a very bumpy ride, cheap springs and shocks The heater takes about 10 miles of driving to start putting out heat poor engineering."

Love, Love My New Jeep!

By on Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Pros: "Great Value! Great Design! Interior feels spacious"

Cons: "Kids have trouble buckling back seatbelt"

"We test drove almost every midsize SUV, decided on a 2015 4 cylinder 4x4 Jeep Sport. It seemed like the Jeep had more of our desired options in the base package. We also could add on alloy wheels without having to add a lot of extra features and it seemed to be a little better quality than comparable SUV's. I have about 2,000 miles on it. It handles very well; heat works great, and no problems going up a steep driveway in a small sleet/snow storm. It also is a very comfortable ride with plenty of leg room. The 4 cylinder seems to be enough power for me. My husband is jealous and wants one as well! I'll be driving this one for a long time!"

I wish I would have read some reviews!

By on Saturday, February 14, 2015

Pros: "looks nice"

Cons: "great if you leave it on your driveway"

"Expected more from a Jeep. Nice looking, but completely unreliable. Been stuck twice on the highway with the "service transmission" indicator coming on. I was lucky to be able to get to the highway shoulder, on the second instance (with tractor trailers flying by). No gear changes. FW upgrade did not fix the problem. First time at 1000mi. Barely 2 months old right now. With similar postings on the web, this is clearly not just one lemon!"

Transmission failed while test driving

By on Monday, February 02, 2015

I don't own this car

Pros: "Cute, Cheap to buy"

Cons: "not reliable at all"

"We were looking to add another vehicle our choices were narrowed to Acura ILX, Jeep Cherokee and RAV 4. we asked if we could test drive the Cherokee. little nice looking crossover with good MPG. nice and smooth ride on city. I asked if I could go on a freeway and the young salesman said yes. he was very cooporative btw, starting from the first gear getting entering freeway the check engine light "transmission service" light warning popped up. we decided to exit from freeway and take the street back. 1st gear was busted and the little cute corssover would start from the 2nd gear. we were upset but our salesman was mad and upset from JEEP. Do they inspect the car before putting into lot to sale?"

2014 Jeep Cherokee V-6 Pentastar 10000 miles later

By on Saturday, January 24, 2015

Pros: "Build Quality and reliability"

Cons: "Lack of power passenger seat"

"Bottom line – we still like this car quite a bit after 1 year and 10,000 miles. We bought the Jeep Cherokee Limited Pentastar V-6 (loaded) about a year and 4 months ago. We have not had any problems with it other than the windshield spontaneously cracked in our garage one night. This was after being outside with it on a very hot day. Jeep replaced the windshield as defective, since we clearly did not take a stone or another object to create the crack. We also had a rattle in the back seat, but Jeep also repaired that – other than that, no other problems or rattles. As far as mpg, we are getting 19-21 mpg in city driving (northern VA where traffic can be bad) and 27-28 mpg on the highway. Not bad at all. It has been reliable, comfortable, big enough and fun to drive. We have had a few software upgrades on the transmission, which does make a difference. Would we buy it again? Yes, most likely. There is nothing that is disappointing about the car (other than the lack of a power passenger seat) – but we knew that going into it. The air cooled seats are worth every penny and the U-CONNECT is very nice. We cart around sea kayaks on the roof, and we find it relatively easy to load (low enough) and the racks themselves have a high enough capacity to support the kayaks (other manufacturers except Volvo have such a low capacity on the roof rails that they not an option for us). About the spare (from another review) – you have to buy the tow package to get a spare. We did an earlier review on why we bought it in the first place on Dec 8, 2013 – “2014 Cherokee - Great Ride”. It’s still a great ride."

2015 Jeep Trailhawk -First full 4X4 and loving it!

By on Friday, January 23, 2015

Pros: "Great ride, drive without boundries"

Cons: "Storage compartments lacking"

Cruisin on the Lake - 2015 Jeep Trailhawk

"Living in a region where winter seems to last more than we would like, I have always had a vehicle with all wheel drive but this is the first full 4X4. I have had no issues. The first two weeks, the weather closed in and we saw several inches of snow and temperatures which hovered between -4 to -30 deg F. While the gas mileage was not as good as I would have liked but given the weather that is expected to be a factor and I think the wife run the vehicle a little longer to warm it up. The heated seats and steering wheel options were most appreciated and utilized. As per the drive performance, I had no traction or stopping issues and the vehicle performed without any impedance by the weather. No start up problems on the coldest mornings (-40). A little more interior storage options might be appreciated but it was not enough of a deterrent to look elsewhere. The interior comfort package along with the control panel is excellent and very easy to use. The Audio system if great. Love the panorama moon roof. The Tango Mango color with black wheels definitely catch eyes. Over all impressed."

Cruisin on the Lake - 2015 Jeep Trailhawk

Too small

By on Saturday, December 27, 2014

"Not enough trunk and interior space."

TrailHawk is a FUN car!

By on Monday, December 22, 2014

Pros: "Performance, comfort,technology,traction,style"

Cons: "4w flasher button too close to digital controls"

"I have the 6cyl Trailhawk and let me tell you, this is one fun automobile. I haven't had any repair issues yet but owning previous jeeps including a 2012 Wrangler just traded, this TrailHawk is so far, more reliable. The traction is outstanding, far superior to the Wrangler in mud or the deep sand of the beach which I frequent. Put it in sport mode on a dirt muddy road and it's fun time! The traction feels similar to an Outback XT that I used to have and the interior seems fashioned from an Outback as well, good qualities because it is super comfortable and quiet. Best Jeep that I've owned."

Jeep Country

By on Saturday, December 20, 2014

Pros: "Nice size, smooth ride."

Cons: "No spare tire can't figure out why. I did buy one"

"Bought my wife a 2014 V-6 Limited in Nov 2013 drove though one of Chicago's worst winters in years with not a single problem.....Loved it so much bought myself one in April 2014."

Happy buyer.

By on Monday, December 08, 2014

Pros: "Gas milage, pep, back up camera, touchscreen, fun"

Cons: "lack of Jeep capability (no trail rating)"

It's just in the driveway.

"I love my new Jeep. I got the 2015 Cherokee Latitude, with the winter package, 8.4 gps, 3.2 L engine. I'm averaging about 19 miles around town. Not great, but not bad. When I get it on the highway, I'm averaging 25 mpg. Again, not great, but not bad. The latitude 3.2 L engines also features a Start/Stop function, which frankly was quite off putting at first. I don't mind it now, and you can turn it off, but it kind of freaked me out when it first happened (my sales person neglected to give me a heads up about it). Jeep needs to do some fine tuning to the system (i.e. idling for more than 3 seconds before shutting off). When your system is warm, and you go to put it in park after pulling into the drive way, the engine shuts off, then turns back on when you place it in park. I heard that starting and stopping within a 2 second interval is not good for gas economy or your starter. But I'm not a mechanic. I will continue to observe it over the next couple months, and if possible will post an update. I didn't get the nav system, but I have a Garmin with unlimited life long map updates, so there wasn't much point other than it cluttering my window space, especially considering I have an 8.4 inch display. The nav should be standard on the bigger screen. Let's talk about the PROs: -Backup camera standard on the Latitude -Pep--The sport mode allows me to go from 25 to 75 in a reasonable time, and though I don't leave it in this mode, for gas purposes, it is nice to have. -Great standard features: bluetooth, power windows, power locks, remote keyless entry, (I have remote start too), touchscreen, HUD system w/trip computer, comprehensive gauges, etc -True to Jeep turn radius -Personally, I love the Cherokee's new look, which is modern, yet still has nods to the former self. -Solid feeling. You don't feel like you're in a cola can when you shut the door. You feel solid. -The interior. People have been giving it flack, and frankly, I'm confused as to why. Honestly, I love the interior. The back is comfortable, and has more features than your average midsize SUV. The seats fold down, and I have no doubt that I will be able to move a fair amount of my apartment's furniture. -Lots of storage compartments -Decent gas milage (as noted above) Some CONS: -Some visibility issues (I would recommend getting the blind spot warning, which I did not, and wish I had). Backing up can be difficult, especially without the camera (which I have) -Lower than average ground clearance. At 5'', it's a bit lower on the Latitude, Sport and Limited editions, unless you pay for the extra lift. -Unclear capability "off road." Lets face it, it's a Jeep, who doesn't plan on at least going a little "off road." Are we talking about Rubicon trails? Heck no, but frankly, I am a bit nervous about going camping this year, I don't want to get stuck, and I don't want to lose my 9 speed transmission. My 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited (God rest it's soul) had the more standard 8'' clearance, plus the trail rated badge--and that was the LIMITED. I've lost 3'' of clearance, and because I have Active Drive I, I lack a low mode. That being said, the ability to shift it into a "manual" drive will allow me to put it in 1st. Should Jeep have been allowed to call it a 4x4 when in reality it is really an all wheel drive system on the lower models? Just having 3 different available systems doesn't mean they are all 4x4 capable. When I think of 4x4, I think of being able to do things that I couldn't in an all wheel drive car--yet the Subaru Forester has 8'' clearance, and is proving to be a capable off roader, and the 2014 won all sort of awards for best SUV. My Jeep is rated at being capable of towing 2,000 lbs. Wrap up: Honestly, I don't regret my purchase (or the car payment which is accompanying it). I wish I would have been able to find THE system (Active Drive II, and the large sunroof would have been AWESOME) I wanted within the price range I desired. Frankly, I don't need everything which is standard in the Trailhawk (nor did I need the additional price). But, some more functionality would have been appreciated. That being said, I gave it all high marks, and I LOVE driving my Jeep."

It's just in the driveway.

Transmission & oil leaks

By on Thursday, December 04, 2014

Pros: "Drives ok when not in shop"

Cons: "Leaks! Leaks! leaks!"

"I brought my 2014 jeep Cherokee in for an oil change. After waiting a while, I was informed the car was leaking transmission fluid and needed to stay at the dealer's. They took 2 weeks to fix transmission leak and 3 weeks later it started leaking motor oil. I took it back to the dealer for a week and they replaced the oil pump. One week after the car is back at the dealer because it's leaking oil again and I am beside myself. I've had this car for less than a year (9000 miles) and I'm on my 3rd loaner car. I asked about trading it in and I was offered $7000 less than I paid for it. This is the most trouble I ever had with a new car."

Great, beautiful car - terrible interior design

By on Sunday, November 30, 2014

Pros: "Beautiful vehicle, great price, love info screen"

Cons: "Interior design, no rear cup holders"

"I love the SUV and the salesman and my dealer. I hate the interior design. The panel connecting the door and front windows is so wide it is tough to see medians, etc. I am short so if I pump up the seat, I hit my head getting in and out. Lower it, and I can't see over the wheel. No place to just lay stuff like glasses, purse, etc. Everytime the tire pressure changes 1 pt. from temperature fluctuations, the warning light comes on. The emergency break and 4-wheel drive button are located so that every time the dog gets in the car, he trips one of them. VERY easily activated. Seats are up on the edges, then dip down, making for wear and tear on the edge of the seats just from getting in and out. I'm sure a woman never test drove this design before production. Terrible!"

Worst transmission ever

By on Saturday, November 22, 2014

Pros: "looks good great gas mileage (v-6)"

Cons: "transmission"

"Love the whole Cherokee looks nice, great mileage, handles well, and then there is the transmission I have had it for 10 months and have taken it back 4 times, it stayed over 3 times. I have been told the jerking is normal as the transmission is looking to give me the best mileage, also that the transmission is designed this way and nothing is wrong. The last visit 2 weeks ago they unloaded all of the software then reloaded it and made some enhancements to the transmission, it was great for 1and 1/2 days then back to what it has been doing all along."

WOW...what a great vehicle

By on Friday, November 07, 2014

Pros: "interior, infotainment (8AN), ride, comfort, looks"

Cons: "no tonneau cover ($75) included"

"My wife and I love our 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I decided to go after the 2015 Jeep Cherokee for myself (after a year of drooling over the JGC). I've never been happier! First, we have parity in the 8AN infotainment system, plus mine is updated with "polished edges." The JPC is a 3.6L V6 and perfect, mines the 3.2L V6. In my break-in period (350 miles), I averaged on highway driving (80% of the time) 25.8 MPG. I expect it to improve once the engine settles in and the 9-speed transmission timing starts kicking in. I have the Active Drive II and tow-package so the suspension is stiffer and my efficiency probably takes a 1-2 MPG hit. I loaded it with everything EXCEPT the SafetyTec and Technology Packages. Why? For $2000, I figured I will stay awake while I drive, turn my head to lane change, and remember how I learned to park 20+ years ago...it is a small SUV after all. I do love the Cold Weather package with auto programmed heated steering wheel and driver seat. (We live in New England.) The ride is smooth, the shifting is smooth (perhaps one of the edges "polished" from the 2014 model), the interior is top-notch, but limited in space as you would expect. (If you want the maximum interior space, go for the RAV4 in this category.). Based on our 2014 JGC reliability, and the year to "polish edges," I'm looking forward to a very happy experience. Only gripe...be expected to find the most popular accessory items in short supply, and in the 2015 removed as "standard" vs. 2014...so you can pay more for them, of course."

Dissappointed

By on Monday, November 03, 2014

Pros: "Great mileage and easy to drive."

Cons: "Hard to get use to transmission at start and stop."

"At 10000 miles I started having trouble with the transmission and took it to the dealership where they had to reset some items for recall and to make it not stall, jerk and loose power. Now with 14500 miles on it I have the same situation. 5 times in the last week I got stuck in traffic and was put in harms way. It may have been a good idea at the time but I am tired of feeling that I will not make it to where I am going....."

I love my Cherokee!

By on Monday, October 27, 2014

Pros: "Great body style, handles off-road well (4X4)"

Cons: "Slow to pickup on highway when merging"

"Ive read many positive and some negative reviews. I have had no issues with my Latitude 4WD at all. My transmision works great. Ive taken it on a couple long highway trips, and through the mud. I was the only SUV on a DEEP sand beach here in Florida (yes, we are allowed to drive on some of the beaches). I stopped by a stuck Chevy and asked if he wanted help getting out. He didnt like that. It is comfortable, good looking and has all the extra's I could want. Let's hope it stays ths way!"

Best Compact SUV Out There

By on Saturday, October 18, 2014

Pros: "Styling, interior amenities"

Cons: "Pricier on higher trim levels"

"I have a 2014 Cherokee Latitude FWD that I have owned since November 2013. This is probably one of the best built vehicles I have ever owned. Congrats to Chrysler and what World Class Manufacturing can do for their products. The Cherokee is hands down better than any offerings out there. You hear people grumble about the 9 speed transmissions. The cars adapt to your driving and it takes thousands of miles for it to complete. In time it all smooths out and they are fine after that. Go test drive a Cherokee. You will love it!"

Most Disappointing Purschase/Disappointing Support

By on Monday, October 13, 2014

Pros: "Looks good for the price"

Cons: "-Quality. -Customer Serivce. -Transmission"

"I purchased this car brand new. Within the first two days the transmission started jerking really hard between gears 1-3. On day 6 the exterior door handle just fell off. On day 10 the transmission got worse and jerked incessantly. It has been in service for 8 days out of the first two weeks I have had the vehicle. When discussing with Chrysler corporation I was told "It was completely normal and I didn't know how to drive it." They also informed me they would not be fixing anything because nothing is wrong, however my car is still in the shop to "not fix anything." Will NEVER buy anything Chrysler again nor would I recommend any Chrysler product after their "customer Service" and "normal transmission.""

Transmission nightmare!

By on Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, Good gas mileage for a V6"

Cons: "Transmission, UConnect is underwhelming"

"Day after buying my Jeep Cherokee Latitude, I was driving to work and I get low oil pressure warning and car loses all pickup. Bring it to dealership the next day to find out that the connection that hold the oil filter on was cracked and spewing oil. After they fix that I notice the transmission slips on stop and go and when going from reverse into drive. Bring it back to dealership (2nd visit in less than a week of owning the Jeep). They assure me that the oil issue and the transmission are not connected. After keeping the car all day they tell me the computer isn’t giving them any errors to which I respond by telling them to drive it and tell me that there’s nothing wrong with it…. I get a call back the next day saying that they would do a transmission adjustment which takes a while and may not make a difference. When I pick it up I’m told, “The transmission has to learn your driving habits so that it can adjust to you and it will get better over time”. After diving a short distance I notice a slight difference but the issues were still there. Now I’ve got about 5500 miles on it and I notice a rattle under the car when it starts and a high pitched noise when sitting idle. The transmission is worse than ever. Backing out of my driveway is a daily adventure wondering if it’s going to engage smooth or slip and bang into gear jerking the car forward. When going up minor hills it will drop from fourth or fifth gear to first or second gear and send the RMP’s between 4k – 5k and making it sound like I’m trying to Evil Knievel the hill. If you do some research you’ll see that this is a common problem (transmission). I’ve going to be bringing it back to the dealership asking for some serious answers. I’d recommend that anyone interested in this vehicle wait another year or two until they figure the transmission out. Right now we’re the guinea pigs paying hard earned money to do their testing for them…."

Great...except when it comes to the transmission

By on Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Pros: "Heated Seats & Steering Wheel"

Cons: "TRANSMISSION!!!!!!!"

"I bought my Cherokee Limited (4X4 V6) in Jan 2014. I have to admit that I was distracted by all the "shiny" extras. Had I done some research I may have thought twice about buying it. If it weren't for the transmission this would be the best vehicle I've ever owned. BUT...the transmission has been a problem since not long after I bought it. It's been in the shop several times. The first two times they did updates to the transmission and it seemed to help some for a little while but the sluggishness and hesitation always came back. I took it back in June and let them have it overnight so one of the mechanics could drive it home (about 100 mile round trip). After that I was told it was "running the way it was designed to run". So, I sucked it up and learned to deal with it. Through the summer it seemed to be running a little better but as soon as the weather turned it started hesitating badly and the shifting was rougher than it had been. Then I started hearing a strange noise when I got to around 30-40 mph. I called the shop the next morning and was told to bring it in. Turns out something broke and all of my transmission fluid was draining and they are going to have to replace the entire transmission. I'm hoping this will solve all of the problems I've had from the start but I'm afraid it's just going to be like starting from square one. I've only read one review that talks about performance after the new transmission and it was a good review. Hopefully I have the same experience. I have several friends who own Jeeps, although none who own the Cherokee, and love them. I wish I knew how that felt."

Should have done my research first! Buyer beware!

By on Friday, October 03, 2014

Pros: "Great options for the price, nice styling"

Cons: "Unreliable,"

"I'm so disappointed with my purchase. Now that I'm reading similar reviews, I see many others have had similar problems. I purchased a 2014 4x4 Cherokee Limited exactly 2 weeks ago. I drove it for two days, less than 200 miles, when the all wheel drive system began trying to engage and locking the wheels up every time I would take off from a stop. It has now been in the dealership's garage for 10 days and they tell me they're not sure what the issue is. The have ordered parts (taking another stab in the dark at how to fix it) which I was told will take an additional 2 weeks to even be delivered to the dealership! Meanwhile, I will have a car payment due at that time for a vehicle I haven't even ran 1/2 tank of gas through yet! My hope is the garage has it for more than 30 days and I can utilize the Lemon Law in my state. Do your research people! I should have known better and chose something different instead of buying this on an impulse. :("

Once a Jeep, always a Jeep

By on Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Pros: "Car comfort with off roading capability"

Cons: "Transmission had to be completely exchanged."

"Except for the transmission that just had to be completely removed and replaced, I really enjoy this car. No more problems with the new transmission. I have the 4x4 limited and was able to pull a Toyota Tacoma pre-runner stuck in the mud !!"

Electronics do not work well. Third time in shop

By on Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Pros: "Great gas mileage, comfortable"

Cons: "electronics do NOT work"

"Electronics have not worked well. Car has been in the shop 3 times. Navigation was showing roads we had never heard of. The go home button would tell us we were 592 miles to home but we were less than 20. My clock goes backward by a minute then forward, then backward, then forward. Time jumps forward and then stops working. Error message on screen continually says "Vehicle Phone needs service. Contact Dealer". Dealer has been trying to resolve for months. They have no idea what is wrong. Driving a rental car at the moment while they once again attempt to fix my phone, clock, navigation and radio."

feeling sick

By on Thursday, September 04, 2014

Pros: "good on gas, smooth ride, nice interior"

Cons: "transmittion"

"I am 1/2 way down on my first tank of gas and transmission has to be replaced.... need to say more?"

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next