2001 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 857 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Best car I ever owned.

By on Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Pros: "Solid built engine, transmission, 4 wheel drive."

Cons: "Week factory rear springs"

"I bought this Jeep after doing some research on my own. I knew the history on the car. The 4.0L I6 is one of the reliable engines every made! I own a rare 5 speed manual that is built strong but I know the automatic is just as reliable. I would recommend this Jeep to first time young drivers, or the weekend warrior."

Best Car Ever just remember...

By on Friday, September 11, 2009

"That the engine will go forever but the rest of the car is NOT CHEAP to maintain. I bought my Cherokee Sport brand new in 1999 and I am closiing in on the 250k mile mark. It has been garaged its whole life and shows it. It was WELL WORTH the money and I love driving it. So what have I had to do of a major nature to keep it on the road this long? New fuel pump @60k,new heater core@190k,engine head cracked@205k ($1200 repair), I'm on my third starter,third thermostat and third radiator,new window regulator and $400 worth of front end work. No rust and a great 4 wheel drive in the snow. Oh yes, and it rides like a truck but I still love it. It's a tank but I would caution people not to overpay for used ones that have not been garaged and maintained because even tanks can put you in the poorhouse when things have been neglected. Make sure you get a complete maintenance history and try to buy a one or two owner vehicle."

SHE HAS NEVER DONE ME WRONG

By on Saturday, August 1, 2009

"I GOT THIS JEEP WHEN IT WAS TWO YEARS OLD. IT WAS PRIOR OWNED BY ONE PERSON. I HAVE HAD IT FOR 9 YEARS. IT HAS BEEN THROUGH TWO MINOR COLLISIONS AND ONE MAJOR COLLISION ($6200). THAT BIG CRASH REQUIRED THE FRAME TO BE STRAIGHTENED. I HAVE DRIVEN IT FOR OVER 8 YEARS SINCE THAT WRECK, MOSTLY ON ROAD, BUT SOME MINOR OFF ROAD. YOU WOULD NEVER KNOW IT HAD BEEN BENT. IT HAS BEEN ABSOLUTELY RELIABLE WITH STANDARD MAINTENANCE AND A NEW EXHAUST SYSTEM BEING ITS ONLY EXPENSES. I HAVE NOTICED SOME ELECTRICAL ISSUES, MOSTLY RELATED TO COLD WEATHER. THE REAR WINDOW WIPER NO LONGER WORKS. I HAD CONSIDERED GETTING RID OF IT FOR SOMETHING NEWER, BUT I CAN'T SEE THE SENSE IN THROWING AWAY SOMETHING THAT COSTS ME ALMOST NOTHING TO MAINTAIN, HAS NO CAR PAYMENTS, AND IS AS TRUSTWORTHY AS THIS. WHAT AN EXCELLENT VEHICLE!"

Amazing Vehicle

By on Sunday, March 1, 2009

"This 99 is my 2nd one. My 87 went over 350,000 without a second thought. Almost trouble free, and only minor issues, (sensors, A/C compressor, things like that) but what can I expect for 350,000 miles. I used it, abused it, neglected it, and put it through things that would destroy the best of them. After I sold it to a friend, it got passed around his family for about another 5 years. It did hit 500,000 before I lost track of it. Even at that point, not even the valve cover was removed. That 4.0 is amazing. I have 84,000 on my 99 now, and it has never let me down, never stranded, always starts right up, even in -30 degree weather. I had to put a fuel pump in it, due to a short span of hard starting, But I expect at least that. What a fantastic truck. A little tight for front legroom, but changing the seat tracks to power helped a ton. If it got totalled today, I would replace it with another exactly like it. There will probably be one in my driveway till the day I die."

Dependable

By on Sunday, March 1, 2009

"A vehicle to get you from point A to point B, even in inclimate weather. Not comfortable, and drives like a tractor. But if your a person who's primary concern in a vehicle is the basic function of reliable transportation no matter the weather: This is the truck for you!"

Jeep 4 Life

By on Sunday, May 1, 2016

Pros: "Reliability, Good in BAD weather conditions, Tough"

Cons: "Gas Mileage!!"

"I love this Jeep. The XJ models are one of the greatest Jeep came up with. It has the ever so reliable Bullet Proof Straight 6 engine that runs even when the Jeep looks like scrap on wheels. I have the Sport Trim and it is a BEAST on the highway. I race people all the time on the highway home from work and i either: completely dominate my opponent from the jump or can keep up very close behind them. If you have a Japanese commuter car or a Ford I wouldn't race a Jeep!! I also wouldn't recommend living too far from a gas station because these babies guzzle gas down faster than a person drinking water after spending weeks in a desert. Speaking of deserts these Jeeps would drive through one flawlessly. Sand, Dirt, Mud, Snow, Rain doesn't phase a Jeep the 4X4 works perfectly and they refuse to get stuck. But they still are susceptible to all forms of Ice so don't get too cocky. All in all Jeeps are the best. If you don't have one buy one today. Everyone needs at least one in their Driveway."

Kicks Butt

By on Saturday, July 12, 2014

Pros: "fun...reliable...a beast in snow or off road"

Cons: "drinks gas"

"I bought my first 2001 Cherokee new and drove it for 12 years...then went out and found another after the first finally died with 250K miles on it. These vehicles are very very reliable and the absolute BEST in the winter. In the summer I drive my current beast all over the farm and hasnt gotten stuck once. Only drawback? Low gas mileage. But small price to pay for the rest."

Has been a good, reliable friend for 15 years.

By on Sunday, November 25, 2012

Pros: "Reliability, value, convenience"

Cons: "Getting into the back seat for passengers"

Bought to haul big dogs. Now hauls an ankle biter.

"As a single woman, I need a reliable vehicle that I can trust to get me home, even on snowy roads. Big Red has been extremely reliable and a great value. I've kept it maintained and don't treat it badly, so it looks & runs like it's brand new. I had sports cars before so I have never been bothered by the somewhat stiff ride. I've never kept a car this long but since the design changed on the new Jeeps (which I don't like), I plan to keep it because it's so handy to have when one has just one vehicle. Besides by now, it would be emotional to get rid of such a loyal friend."

Bought to haul big dogs. Now hauls an ankle biter.

Most reliable vehicle that I have ever owned

By on Friday, June 15, 2012

Pros: "great handling.. i live in the desert of AZ...perf"

Cons: "speakers got scratchy after awhile"

"I am the original owner, 195,000 miles later it is running very strong. Minimal repair or problems. Replaced clutch at 130k. other than tires and regular oil changes, no problems. I just bought a new Jeep Grand Cherokee/ overlander..love that too. I guess Jeep just became part of me"

By on Tuesday, August 4, 2009

"Bought a 99 XJ. 205,000 miles later, replacing only the clutch and a wheel barring, my jeep still starts every day. Great car. The usual replacements: breaks, tires, oil. Nothing can stop this Jeep. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I do have a honda for a gas saver with my high millage commute when gas went through the roof, but I still drive my jeep every day. Inline 6 was the best engine ever built. Can take anything you throw at it. It is almost like a work tool. I use it for everything: towing, 4x4, pulling bushes out, tailgating. LOVE IT"