2000 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 843 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Reliable, strong motor, excellent towing.

By on Monday, November 04, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, strong motor, excellent towing"

Cons: "Short, narrow wheel base-squirrely to drive."

"Has been a very reliable vehicle. Straight six motor is very strong and we have towed a tent trailer with no problmes. Only concern is short and narrow wheel base make this vehicle less stable to drive than others."

My Baby!!

By on Sunday, October 27, 2013

Pros: "what's not to love?"

Cons: "What's not to love?"

Loaded down with camping gear and family, headed to 2013 Wakarusa!

"Would not trade my baby for anything else..!! first time owning a jeep and loving every minute of it!! Great for hiway, off road, camping, travel, or work. (i am a LMT) She is cleaned and babied and responds well when i need her to. Yes i am very, very happy with my Jeep Cherokee Laredo! Recommend it to all people of all ages!"

Loaded down with camping gear and family, headed to 2013 Wakarusa!

very good suv,small,parks easy

By on Saturday, August 17, 2013

Pros: "starts up every time,gets 26mpg on highway,"

Cons: "back seat area is small,hard to get in"

"great vehicle,as im a dodge tech its a mopar,6cly.great engine,has asian trans,should last 3-4 hundred thousand miles,ice cold air,has custom camoflage head liner,overhead console and visors,howeer im read for a grand cherokee,im big person,cant seem to find a buyer,,,"

Great SUV!

By on Thursday, August 15, 2013

Pros: "size, quick, reliable"

Cons: "gas, dont make them anymore"

"This is my 4th vehicle and my favorite so far. I bought it with aprox 95k on th odo. Ive had it for about two months now and it just turned over 100K withought any problems. I have limited modle so it has all the goodies. I love how it isnt a huge suv, its the perfect size and the 4wd is amazing on this jeep. love the classic look to it and the feel of riding up a little higher then most people. I plan on keeping it until the engine goes ( figureing 300K) then hopefully rebuilding the engine. not the best on gas but a lot better then some suv's. I would buy another in a heartbeat!"

Very nice 4WD transportation

By on Sunday, August 11, 2013

Pros: "Powerful, Great look"

Cons: "None I can really think of!"

"Has a great look overall, the 4.0L engine is powerful, 21 mpg consistently."

Best Jeep Ever.

By on Friday, August 09, 2013

Pros: "4WD, fun to drive, extremely reliable!!"

Cons: "not very aero-dynamic, back seat is small"

"This Jeep is the best jeep there is. Litterally. This vehicle has gotten me out of mud holes, stuck in sand on the beach, its just all around outstanding. Most jeeps are great vehicles. Unfortunantely, jeep doesnt make them like this anymore and there going fast. If you're looking at one and cant decide, BUY IT!!!!!"

Durable, reliabale with short comings, ie:....

By on Monday, August 05, 2013

Pros: "Vehicle well go on and on meaning the engine...."

Cons: "Short comings electric widows rear hatch...."

"With short comings yet over all the most reliable vehicle I own thus far, this vehicle well go on and on with more then 238000 miles just well not end, ie: the short comings has to be the electric widows, rear hatch. The place I bought it from did not show any reconstructed title until I brought it too the body shop. The use vehicle I bought it from shown clean vehicle and they were the church owners here in the Valley but it has taken me and family many places we have not been."

I love my jeep!

By on Sunday, August 04, 2013

Pros: "dependability"

Cons: "low gas mieage"

"Purchased it in 2010 with 204,000 miles on it for $1900. It has been the most reliable and dependable car that I have ever owned. The interior is all intact, nothing falling off or broken. The engine is sound and strong ( full synthetic oil ) is well worth the extra expense. This car still looks like new and runs like new too. I will reach 300,000 miles by the end of the year and will be driving it till it drops. if that's even possible."

This car goes and goes and goes without breakdowns

By on Sunday, July 28, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable to drive and ride in for hours."

Cons: "Air conditioning needs to be charged every year."

"This car is the best for my job as a rural mail carrier. This is a car on a truck base. I beat it daily having 430 stops up and down the steep bluffs of the Mississippi River Valley during all weather conditions from sunny summer days to freezing rain and feet of snow in the winter. It just keeps on going and going! I do regular maintenance and most of my repairs have been standard..brakes, oil changes etc. My only fear is not being able to find a jeep with low mileage to use on my mail route in the future. Wish Jeep would bring back this little tough truck!"

It's a Jeep thing!

By on Monday, July 22, 2013

Pros: "Built to last"

Cons: "don't expect comfort"

"First off, this is an off-road vehicle so expectation of comfort should go out the window. Next, fuel economy is terrible. Lastly, this is the last of the inline six engine design, 4.0's are build like a tank. Overall best capable vehicle I've ever owned, next to my wrangler though."

BEST CAR EVER MADE

By on Friday, July 12, 2013

"This was the first and only car I've ever owned. Bought it used 8 years ago with 85,000 miles on it and it drove as though it was brand new. Most reliable vehicle out there. Driven through floods, over a foot of snow and every type of weather imaginable never had a problem. Untouchable 4-Wheel drive, especially in blizzards when larger SUVs are in a ditch. Incredible pickup and awesome for long trips. Plan on driving this vehicle until it turns to dust. Wish they still made the Cherokee, nothing compares to it."

Great first car

By on Sunday, July 07, 2013

Pros: "great daily driver, good gas mileage, great towing"

Cons: "the back seat is small."

"I love this car the 4.0 is a beast and the fuel economy is NOT bad for a 4dr 4wd suv. It is very capable off road and will tow anything."

A real pity they stopped making the Jeep Cherokee

By on Saturday, July 06, 2013

Pros: "engine has a lot of torque"

Cons: "could have used a better steering box"

"The Jeep Cherokee is a simple vehicle with a quick peppy engine and transmission. They will go anywhere (ie up unplowed steep dirt roads). I have owned three of the Cherokees and they all were extremely reliable. Just regular maintenance like the oil and transmission fluid. You can put 300,000 miles on one easy. I did. They could have done a better design for the leaf springs. They all sag after about 125,000 miles. The steering is a bit sloppy- don't buy a new steering box- they are all the same. But overall the Jeep Cherokee is a really well made vehicle. Adequate cargo space, good visibility, and most importantly - they hold the road. Why did Chrysler to give up a sure thing?"

Haven't gotten stuck yet.

By on Monday, July 01, 2013

Pros: "reliable"

Cons: "smaller suv"

"Four feet of snow no problem, over 200k on original clutch with only basic maintenance."

Loved It

By on Monday, May 20, 2013

Pros: "Very Reliable"

Cons: "Gas Mileage, AC issues"

"I purchased my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport used in 2003 with 36k miles (it was a lease). I drove approximately 50 miles a day 7 days a week for 7 years (mostly highway driving), for the last 2 years I've been city driving about 10 miles a day 5 days a week. Other than normal oil changes, brakes, etc. It gets on average 17-18 mpg combined hwy/city when in 4x4 mode it gets 12-13 mpg. FYI, owners manual says to use mid grade 89 gas in it and I always have, but that is a little more expensive these days as well. The only problems I have had with this are the air conditioner never worked right even after replacing all components (which I understand is a common problem in these). My dad put the wrong kind of antifreeze in it once and gunked up the system so I've had to replace the radiator twice, but that is not really Jeep's fault. A screw fell out of my steering wheel once which left it undrivable and the tow truck driver not believeing me (it was new years eve and I think he thought I was an idiot or drunk) proceeded to spin my wheel the whole way around breaking the thing that deploys the airbag (it was like a $300 dollar part). I was rear ended by a full size pick up truck going about 40 mph when I was stopped and the rear hatch, floor, and bumper needed to be replaced but I was uninjured, these things are like tanks. I take very very good care of my cars regular maintainence, replacing parts at the suggested time (before the break, you get the idea), it now has 168k miles on it and just started leaking oil from the rear seal (which means removing the transmission) and a little bit of transmission fluid. I wish they still made these because I would buy another one in a heartbeat I loved this car, but it is now time to part with it, and seeing as how I no longer need a 4x4 I'm downsizing for better gas mileage. and like I said other than the AC haven't really had any major issues. There have been 1 or 2 other minor issues I can't remember what, but I think that is to be expected with any older used car with higher miles."

I love this car

By on Thursday, May 09, 2013

Pros: "Elegance yet ruggedness in a 4WD SUV"

Cons: "It gets 18 mpg on the highway which is just OK"

"I've had this car since Sept of 2001 and it's been a champ. People told me it was a good car and would last a long time and I've loved it for everything, city driving, road trips and ski trips. Having 4 WD and sturdy car for me as a woman is very important to my feeling of safety and empowerment I won't get stuck. I'm only selling it because I'm going abroad for a year, maybe more and it doesn't make sense to store it."

hade it for 15 years not a problom

By on Friday, April 26, 2013

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "not the best mpg 15/20"

"amazing quality 15 years not one problom and mpg is 15/20 outstanding better than the land rover rang rover"

Jeep Cherokee - Looks like a $65,000 Range Rover

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pros: "it's a Jeep! Go anywhere, reliable, retro-styling"

Cons: "Not a gas sipper, but if I try, can almost be!"

"My 2001 Jeep Cherokee is a limited Edition, complete with leather seats and all the bells and whistles they had in 2001. Has a CD player and a cassette player (remember those?). This vehicle never fails to start, and it had tremendous torque. It can go anywhere and it's comfortable to boot. It's also distinctive looking. Yes, it's boxey, but that's part of the appeal (Range Rover liked the look apparently). It can get 23 mpg if I try, or 18 if I don't. This engine is cast iron with 7 main bearings. It will easily run to 300,000. At a stop light, this baby can really go, having a 4.0 Litre engine V-6, and it's relatively light. So, go Jeeping. If you can find one in great condition, don't hesitate."

Best vehicle of 46 I have owned, and still do!

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pros: "Attractive, ruggid, costworthy, fun, dependable"

Cons: "Plastic trim that won't hold paint"

"I bought this Jeep when it was 4 years old and a lease return in 2002. It had 33,000 miles then. 11 years later, it now has 155,000 miles and really, it's just broke in. Aside from routine maintenance, tires, and fluid changes and grease, I have replaced brakes twice, and recently replaced the transfer case, as it was beginning to grind a little and shift hard. It still has the original exhaust system, but am ready for a new muffler. The pipes are all still solid. I've replaced the water pump twice, and the serpentine belt twice, the wheel bearings once, and just noticed today, the air conditioning has stopped working, may need a charge, but will probably replace the compressor. Believe it or not, I don't care, but from Ohio to Spartanburg, SC to visit friends, I average 26 MGP, on the trip down and back. Around town where I live, I have been averaging 17 to 18 MPG. It is more like a pleasure vehicle that I can go anywhere in, and also, the best hauling and utility vehicle I have ever owned. The engine still does not burn or leak any oil. This model has the IL6 cylinder engine, and I swear, there will never be a better utility vehicle engine ever built to compare to it. I have never talked to a newer Jeep owner as pleased with the newer models as they were with the original Cherokee before 2002. I'm 65 years old now, and I plan to drive it until I no longer can drive, or someone hits it on the roadway and it can't be fixed. But if it was repairable, I'd fight in court to get it fixed before settling with any insurance company due to it's age. It has been one of the best friends I ever had. If it could only play golf!!!!!"

Most reliable vehicle ever owned

By on Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Pros: "reliability/versatility/dependability/design"

Cons: "way too many plastic parts"

"This Jeep is the best, by far, of any vehicle I ever owned! When I get ready to 'let her go,' I WILL be getting another Jeep!"

Not bad for a cheap 4WD

By on Friday, March 22, 2013

Pros: "4WD, Looks."

Cons: "Shaky ride."

"I recently purchased a 99 Jeep Cherokee SE. 4.0 6cyl. I had to replace 2 universal joints, and an A/C compressor. The 4WD works great. It looks good, inside and out. As for daily driving, it's a bit shaky. There's always something vibrating. For a 14 year old vehicle, it's really not bad."

Not many favorite car. Good for most of its life.

By on Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Reason: Needed a car with 3rd row

Pros: "Power windows, locks and steering"

Cons: "Everything else"

"I bought this car new in 1999 and sold it in 2009 to buy a Honda Pilot EX w/ Leather seats and with RES. In the jeep I got a 4WD 4dr sport model in red with gray cloth interior. I should have gotten rid of it a while ago. The car had no features what so ever. The only features were power windows, power locks and power steering. I got privacy glass too. This car didn't have any features as I mentioned, I wish I would have gotten a fully loaded leather model but I just drive to work and back mostly so it wasn't necessary. It's a good first car but I wouldn't recommend it. I need features in a car."

ONe tough Jeep!....172K basic repairs, no problems

By on Saturday, February 02, 2013

"I drove 150K and gave it to daughter for high school...she drove it hard but the vehicle ran great....is perfect for a high school kid...sturdy, heavy, reliable, 4WD, its not a smooth rice like the GC and it bounces around a bit on the open road...but overall great SUV"

This Jeep is Bulletproof.

By on Friday, January 11, 2013

Pros: "A head turner. Fun to drive."

Cons: "20 mpg, but who cares--it can go anywhere!"

"I purchased my Jeep three years ago from a lady that used it just to go shopping, etc. It had never been abused. The interior looks new and the engine, transmission are tight. I needed a four wheel drive to haul my 17' boat to and from the boat ramp. The Jeep is so clean and I have received so many compliments on it I have decided to keep it for my Sunday driver. I take it to car shows and people love it. It is garaged, and I plan to keep this Jeep for a very long time."

16 yrs, 230K mi. very reliable, parks great,

By on Wednesday, January 02, 2013

"I've owned my '97 Jeep Cherokee for 16 yrs, 230K mi. Very reliable, good cargo space, parks great in tight city spots, 4WD great in snow, perfect height for loading canoes on top."