2000 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 847 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Not bad at all

By on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

"With regular maintenance and up keep this is a great vehicle that can get you almost anywhere.. I read some reviews on it that were bad b/c baught used and need everything replaced.. "News Flash" check maintenance records when buying used.. if nothing was done then you will have to do it all! Good Solid Vehicle!"

overall... I love it

By on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pros: "spacious, durable, functional, Fun, reliable...etc"

Cons: "15-19 mpg"

"I've noticed a few "bad" revues for xj's on here but the bottom line is that with any car you take care of, it'll take care of you. My 97 xj has a lot of miles on it and was a bit neglected when I purchased it but I have revived her to be a great daily driver and a fun trail horse on the weekends. The only things I really needed to fix were general maintenance and problems due to "D.P.O." (dumb previous owner) As for the I6 engine, auto trans and selec-trac transfer case everything operates excellent. This jeep is not exactly babied either... even with the 3" lift and power adding bolt-ons it is an extremely quite and comfortable ride, brutaly effective on trails and reliable enough for anyone with general mechanical knowledge to maintain yourself. Simple yet functional design! I love my XJ!"

One tough truck

By on Friday, November 04, 2011

Pros: "great power, true off-road prowess"

Cons: "none in my book"

"Between my wife and myself, this is my third Cherokee. I have not a single complaint about any of them. I am absolutely in love with my Cherokee, and because it only has 180,000 miles on it, I plan on keeping it for awhile. Still no oil leaks, besides a little around the valve cover gasket. The venerable 4.0 is one of the best engines ever made. For the size of the vehicle, there is more than enough power. The Cherokee is a true off-road vehicle, capable of a lot more than most people would expect. I drove this vehicle through 3 feet of water last spring (yes, stupid, but I didn't realize it had gotten so deep until I was halfway through) and it did great. I was worried once the water was halfway up the doors (and close to the headlights and dangerously close to the air intake), but somehow this Jeep just kept on driving with absolutely no problems. This thing WILL get you where you need to go. Yes, the interior is somewhat bare, but this is a true SUV, emphasis on "utility". The back seat isn't huge, but then again I don't have to ride back there! Easy to get a car seat in and out of, plenty of space in the back for such a small vehicle. It isn't bad on gas, given that it's a truck, and it is pretty comfortable on the inside for long trips. I'm about 5'11", 225lbs, and I have plenty of space. It's not a Suburban, so don't expect it to be huge inside, but it will do anything you want it to. Not one of my Jeeps has ever let me down, and I will probably never get rid of it."

I love my Jeep!

By on Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pros: "very versatile. Great for anyone!"

Cons: "can't think of any!"

"I have owned my jeep for several years now and I have no complaints at all. It has been great for our family and we have been hard on it. I, a mother of 3, have hauled kids everywhere in this beast. AND it hauls great! Pulls a 2 horse bp trailer or bass boat with no trouble! Sadly, someone pulled out in front of my husband and he hit them at 55 mph with two kids in the car and no one was hurt! Thank God! (and my jeep) but I am pretty sure insurance won't be able to replace what that Jeep has meant to us!"

Best money we ever spent!

By on Monday, August 22, 2011

Pros: "great cargo space, 4w drive, good gas mileage"

Cons: "smaller passenger doors"

"I own a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport. We have had no engine trouble. The jeep has no rust. This has been a great family vehicle for us. We love the 4w drive. I would recommend a jeep to everyone."

Buying tips

By on Monday, November 02, 2009

"Get a normal Cherokee (not the Grand) with an automatic transmission and a 6-cylinder engine. That's the bulletproof combo, and you'll have less trouble with it than other Jeeps. This is a great vehicle if you want a reliable 4x4 on the cheap. It's pretty reliable and in the event you need to fix something, it tends to be cheap to buy or repair. Be prepared to work on little things, and replace a water pump fairly often (it's cheap, though). Also, be aware of your 4x4 options - some have a 4hi/4lo and others have 4part time/fulltime/lo. Either will work, although the hi/lo system (CommandTrac) can ONLY be used when conditions are so bad that the tires can spin freely. It's never to be used on dry pavement. The fulltime system (SelecTrac) can be used at all times if you wish... the added "fulltime" mode is like all wheel drive. It's harder to find, though."

great buy

By on Monday, September 07, 2009

"i have owned my cherokee since 100k and am now pushing 165k aside from regular maitnence this jeep has never let me down, not once. it so far has gone anywhere that any of my friends wranglers have gone and it has never gotten stuck no matter how intense the situation got... it is an amazing running vehicle and will last forever mine still runs like it has 20k miles on it. id suggest it to anybody... unless you are more than 6foot 2ish(there isnt much move in the drivers seat) though perfect for me im 5 11"

Solid, Reliable Car

By on Thursday, August 20, 2009

"I bought a Jeep Cherokee about 6 months ago not knowing what the Jeep craze was all about. After driving it for a couple months I realized what a great car it is. I can't see myself driving anything else. It is always dependable and reliable. I really love it. It has never failed me in the cold Michigan mornings. And when we're snowed in in the winters, it is the only car of my family's we trust even though it's the oldest. I never question that it will get me where i'm going. I was planning on selling it when I went away for college, but I can't bear to part with it. Once you're a Jeep owner, You're a Jeep owner for life! I would recomend it to anyone looking for a solid used car that is definetly worth the money!!"

Awesome Jeep Cherokee

By on Thursday, August 20, 2009

"I bought my first new Jeep in 1999, and still have it with over 115,00 miles. It is a great vehicle that won't quit. The only changes made to it were tires, brakes, etc. I wish Chrysler would consider making the Jeep again."

Reliable

By on Friday, August 14, 2009

"2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport. I've owned it for three years, my mother was the previous owner. Only negative side is that the AC died when it was only about 6 years old! Besides that he vehicle is very reliable even with 150,000 miles on it."

!! Simply the BEST !!

By on Sunday, August 09, 2009

"Hands down, this is simply the best vehicle i have ever owned! 99 Cherokee Sport 4x4. I love this jeep! Nothing can even compair to the reliability and practicality of this vehicle. ive been in two accidents in this jeep and repaired both which added up to way more then it is worth. I cant kill the engine it seems to love it when you drive it like you stole it. i keep all my vehicle well maintaind. and have never had any drivetrain problems. Ive got the 4 mode transfer case (NP242) which has 4LO 4 part time & 4 full time 2HI. I wish they still made the cherokee! I recomend buying one! you wont regret it. The cherokee was one of last of the tough midsize SUV's if not the last. Maybe one day the cherokee (XJ) will return from the grave? maybe when chrysler relizes what they lost. Thank You"

Proven in N America and Europe

By on Thursday, July 23, 2009

"I have had my 01 Cherokee limited (classic) for over six years and have taken it all over Europe and across the US. This thing rolls through Austrian, French, Switzerland, Czech, and German snow with ease. It blasted trough deep mud holes in Missouri and has never left me stranded. It has had some issues w/rough idle and sputs along at moments (once seven hours from my apartment while in Austria, that was scary) but I can't quite figure that out. I have replaced the brakes, tires, AC and regular maintenance. I have only put 50K on it since I bought it in 03 w/20K. I was actually checking it’s value thinking I would get rid of her soon for something newer but after reading what fellow Cherokee owners had to say I am now reminded how much I love the “blue box” and I think I’ll keep her around until the 4-door wranglers get cheap or it just dies on me."

Solid SUV

By on Saturday, May 30, 2009

"Solid axles ride rough but are very durable. I owned mine for nine years and was very sad to trade it in on a newer car for my wife at 123,000 miles. I would happily buy it again if I had to do it all over. The only mechanical failures I had was the clutch bearing in the A/C compressor went bad the drivers power window regulator broke and I had to take apart the turn signal switch several times to replace a broken return spring. I was able to repair the window regulator myself by drilling out the rivet on the plastic bracket that broke and fabricate one out of steel then bolt it on. I wore out two sets of front brakes and an exaust system. The paint and seats were in great shape. Also keep a close eye on the upper radiator hose or it will rub through on the corner of the battery. In nine years I never broke down on the road or had to be towed or got stuck or stranded. It ALWAYS got me home."

Still Love It

By on Thursday, February 28, 2008

"1999 Sport with a 3" lift. Gotta love the straight 6. One of the best engines ever. I've owned this one for 2 flawless years. The Cherokees are one if not the best 4X4's ever. I'm a tall guy (6'07") so it is tight on the inside but I do deal with it. Still wish jeep kept the XJ going. This is my second XJ. My first a '96 Country was sold and I just had to have another."

Best car I've ever owned

By on Wednesday, February 13, 2008

"I could cry as I write this, because I love this car so much. I've had my Jeep for 8 years and have NEVER had a single problem. It has never failed me, never given me a moment's headache, never even worried me as far as having an issue. Just have done all scheduled maintenance and never give it another thought. I LOVE THIS CAR. I've had it from my single days but now that I'm married with a growing family, my husband said it is time to get a car with third row seating. I am DRAGGING my feat. I'd rather drive my dependable ol' friend for another 8 years. It's a classic, and it is sturdy and it will forever be my favorite car of all time. I am so sad I have to sell mine ..."

Best vehicle I've ever owned

By on Friday, June 06, 2014

Pros: "Low maintenance, great 4WD system."

Cons: "Rides like a cob! But it's a 4WD..."

"Bought Jeep used in 2003 with just under 30K. Still driving today with just under 200K. Sport model, 4L straight six engine, 5-speed tranny, 2-door. The only thing I've ever touched is the A/C compressor. Replaced 3 years ago. Other than that...nothing, nada, not a thing. Runs like a champ and does not use a drop of oil. Not bad on gas. With the manual tranny I get over 24 on the highway. I wish some car company would make another inexpensive, plain-jane, 4WD vehicle like the Jeep Cherokee. I would buy one in a heart beat. The"

i love my jeep

By on Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive."

Cons: "low mpg"

"honestly, best car i could ask for. mpg isnt too great but the power is extraordinary. mine is lifted and has 31's onit and does phenomenal in sand snow and mud!"

Great SUV!

By on Thursday, August 15, 2013

Pros: "size, quick, reliable"

Cons: "gas, dont make them anymore"

"This is my 4th vehicle and my favorite so far. I bought it with aprox 95k on th odo. Ive had it for about two months now and it just turned over 100K withought any problems. I have limited modle so it has all the goodies. I love how it isnt a huge suv, its the perfect size and the 4wd is amazing on this jeep. love the classic look to it and the feel of riding up a little higher then most people. I plan on keeping it until the engine goes ( figureing 300K) then hopefully rebuilding the engine. not the best on gas but a lot better then some suv's. I would buy another in a heartbeat!"

This car goes and goes and goes without breakdowns

By on Sunday, July 28, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable to drive and ride in for hours."

Cons: "Air conditioning needs to be charged every year."

"This car is the best for my job as a rural mail carrier. This is a car on a truck base. I beat it daily having 430 stops up and down the steep bluffs of the Mississippi River Valley during all weather conditions from sunny summer days to freezing rain and feet of snow in the winter. It just keeps on going and going! I do regular maintenance and most of my repairs have been standard..brakes, oil changes etc. My only fear is not being able to find a jeep with low mileage to use on my mail route in the future. Wish Jeep would bring back this little tough truck!"

BEST CAR EVER MADE

By on Friday, July 12, 2013

"This was the first and only car I've ever owned. Bought it used 8 years ago with 85,000 miles on it and it drove as though it was brand new. Most reliable vehicle out there. Driven through floods, over a foot of snow and every type of weather imaginable never had a problem. Untouchable 4-Wheel drive, especially in blizzards when larger SUVs are in a ditch. Incredible pickup and awesome for long trips. Plan on driving this vehicle until it turns to dust. Wish they still made the Cherokee, nothing compares to it."

Great first car

By on Sunday, July 07, 2013

Pros: "great daily driver, good gas mileage, great towing"

Cons: "the back seat is small."

"I love this car the 4.0 is a beast and the fuel economy is NOT bad for a 4dr 4wd suv. It is very capable off road and will tow anything."

A real pity they stopped making the Jeep Cherokee

By on Saturday, July 06, 2013

Pros: "engine has a lot of torque"

Cons: "could have used a better steering box"

"The Jeep Cherokee is a simple vehicle with a quick peppy engine and transmission. They will go anywhere (ie up unplowed steep dirt roads). I have owned three of the Cherokees and they all were extremely reliable. Just regular maintenance like the oil and transmission fluid. You can put 300,000 miles on one easy. I did. They could have done a better design for the leaf springs. They all sag after about 125,000 miles. The steering is a bit sloppy- don't buy a new steering box- they are all the same. But overall the Jeep Cherokee is a really well made vehicle. Adequate cargo space, good visibility, and most importantly - they hold the road. Why did Chrysler to give up a sure thing?"

Not bad for a cheap 4WD

By on Friday, March 22, 2013

Pros: "4WD, Looks."

Cons: "Shaky ride."

"I recently purchased a 99 Jeep Cherokee SE. 4.0 6cyl. I had to replace 2 universal joints, and an A/C compressor. The 4WD works great. It looks good, inside and out. As for daily driving, it's a bit shaky. There's always something vibrating. For a 14 year old vehicle, it's really not bad."

Best car ive driven

By on Monday, March 26, 2012

Pros: "Amazing offroad ability, fun to drive."

Cons: "small doors and cramped back seat"

"My family has always driven jeeps. Although i did own an acura cl and a volkswagon passat. But the jeep cherokee has never failed me yet. It starts, and goes everywhere i need to go. The outside looks great and is nicely designed, the inside is all practicality, without the useless touch screens and digital speedometers. This car is simple and to the point. Its meant to be driven and get from point A to point B and do it reliably. However,Its not the best on fuel but it does alright. Overall i love this car and will drive it until it rust into the earth."

Best Vehicle Very Strong

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "everything about this car is a pro"

Cons: "Back seats are not fun to sit in for long time"

"My family has had this Jeep Cherokee sport 4.0 2000 N-line6 and we have never put more than a thousand in work on this car and it is at 177k and going on 13 years. When I mean amazing strong lasting they did not lie. The only down fall is the 18 to 21 mpg! Very strong. I feel very safe and I love the power it has because I know it will get me where I need to go. We have drove this car all across America and Threw parts of Canada since we got it new in year 2000. I Love this car and because of it I have been stuck on loving Jeeps. I have been able to pull trucks out of ditches. Use it to haul my boat. Everything!"