2000 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 847 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Best car I ever owned.

By on Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Pros: "Solid built engine, transmission, 4 wheel drive."

Cons: "Week factory rear springs"

"I bought this Jeep after doing some research on my own. I knew the history on the car. The 4.0L I6 is one of the reliable engines every made! I own a rare 5 speed manual that is built strong but I know the automatic is just as reliable. I would recommend this Jeep to first time young drivers, or the weekend warrior."

Great Vehicle

By on Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Pros: "Great all around vehicle. Super in the snow"

Cons: "Could use a bit more leg room on the clutch side"

"Too bad they discontinued this vehicle. It's probably one of the best models Jeep ever made. The engine is terrific. I bought it used with 62,000 mile. After owning it for over 13 yrs, I now have 192,000 mile. It'll last forever."

The Last of the Real Jeeps

By on Monday, June 18, 2012

Pros: "economical (other than gas), uncomplicated,"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"This is my 2nd Cherokee. I owned a '92 and now this '01. A few other cars I had in between just didn't live up to the value of the Cherokee. With a Jeep you know what you got and you know what you don't got. Simple and straightforward. Little fluff and a lot of tough stuff. There is no replacement in the current Jeep line up that takes the place of the Cherokee. A great vehicle that Detroit (Toledo) produced for many years that was a jewel they didn't truly realized."

Best vehicle of 46 I have owned, and still do!

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pros: "Attractive, ruggid, costworthy, fun, dependable"

Cons: "Plastic trim that won't hold paint"

"I bought this Jeep when it was 4 years old and a lease return in 2002. It had 33,000 miles then. 11 years later, it now has 155,000 miles and really, it's just broke in. Aside from routine maintenance, tires, and fluid changes and grease, I have replaced brakes twice, and recently replaced the transfer case, as it was beginning to grind a little and shift hard. It still has the original exhaust system, but am ready for a new muffler. The pipes are all still solid. I've replaced the water pump twice, and the serpentine belt twice, the wheel bearings once, and just noticed today, the air conditioning has stopped working, may need a charge, but will probably replace the compressor. Believe it or not, I don't care, but from Ohio to Spartanburg, SC to visit friends, I average 26 MGP, on the trip down and back. Around town where I live, I have been averaging 17 to 18 MPG. It is more like a pleasure vehicle that I can go anywhere in, and also, the best hauling and utility vehicle I have ever owned. The engine still does not burn or leak any oil. This model has the IL6 cylinder engine, and I swear, there will never be a better utility vehicle engine ever built to compare to it. I have never talked to a newer Jeep owner as pleased with the newer models as they were with the original Cherokee before 2002. I'm 65 years old now, and I plan to drive it until I no longer can drive, or someone hits it on the roadway and it can't be fixed. But if it was repairable, I'd fight in court to get it fixed before settling with any insurance company due to it's age. It has been one of the best friends I ever had. If it could only play golf!!!!!"

SHE HAS NEVER DONE ME WRONG

By on Saturday, August 01, 2009

"I GOT THIS JEEP WHEN IT WAS TWO YEARS OLD. IT WAS PRIOR OWNED BY ONE PERSON. I HAVE HAD IT FOR 9 YEARS. IT HAS BEEN THROUGH TWO MINOR COLLISIONS AND ONE MAJOR COLLISION ($6200). THAT BIG CRASH REQUIRED THE FRAME TO BE STRAIGHTENED. I HAVE DRIVEN IT FOR OVER 8 YEARS SINCE THAT WRECK, MOSTLY ON ROAD, BUT SOME MINOR OFF ROAD. YOU WOULD NEVER KNOW IT HAD BEEN BENT. IT HAS BEEN ABSOLUTELY RELIABLE WITH STANDARD MAINTENANCE AND A NEW EXHAUST SYSTEM BEING ITS ONLY EXPENSES. I HAVE NOTICED SOME ELECTRICAL ISSUES, MOSTLY RELATED TO COLD WEATHER. THE REAR WINDOW WIPER NO LONGER WORKS. I HAD CONSIDERED GETTING RID OF IT FOR SOMETHING NEWER, BUT I CAN'T SEE THE SENSE IN THROWING AWAY SOMETHING THAT COSTS ME ALMOST NOTHING TO MAINTAIN, HAS NO CAR PAYMENTS, AND IS AS TRUSTWORTHY AS THIS. WHAT AN EXCELLENT VEHICLE!"