1999 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 855 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Best car I ever owned.

By on Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Pros: "Solid built engine, transmission, 4 wheel drive."

Cons: "Week factory rear springs"

"I bought this Jeep after doing some research on my own. I knew the history on the car. The 4.0L I6 is one of the reliable engines every made! I own a rare 5 speed manual that is built strong but I know the automatic is just as reliable. I would recommend this Jeep to first time young drivers, or the weekend warrior."

Best Car Ever just remember...

By on Friday, September 11, 2009

"That the engine will go forever but the rest of the car is NOT CHEAP to maintain. I bought my Cherokee Sport brand new in 1999 and I am closiing in on the 250k mile mark. It has been garaged its whole life and shows it. It was WELL WORTH the money and I love driving it. So what have I had to do of a major nature to keep it on the road this long? New fuel pump @60k,new heater core@190k,engine head cracked@205k ($1200 repair), I'm on my third starter,third thermostat and third radiator,new window regulator and $400 worth of front end work. No rust and a great 4 wheel drive in the snow. Oh yes, and it rides like a truck but I still love it. It's a tank but I would caution people not to overpay for used ones that have not been garaged and maintained because even tanks can put you in the poorhouse when things have been neglected. Make sure you get a complete maintenance history and try to buy a one or two owner vehicle."

SHE HAS NEVER DONE ME WRONG

By on Saturday, August 1, 2009

"I GOT THIS JEEP WHEN IT WAS TWO YEARS OLD. IT WAS PRIOR OWNED BY ONE PERSON. I HAVE HAD IT FOR 9 YEARS. IT HAS BEEN THROUGH TWO MINOR COLLISIONS AND ONE MAJOR COLLISION ($6200). THAT BIG CRASH REQUIRED THE FRAME TO BE STRAIGHTENED. I HAVE DRIVEN IT FOR OVER 8 YEARS SINCE THAT WRECK, MOSTLY ON ROAD, BUT SOME MINOR OFF ROAD. YOU WOULD NEVER KNOW IT HAD BEEN BENT. IT HAS BEEN ABSOLUTELY RELIABLE WITH STANDARD MAINTENANCE AND A NEW EXHAUST SYSTEM BEING ITS ONLY EXPENSES. I HAVE NOTICED SOME ELECTRICAL ISSUES, MOSTLY RELATED TO COLD WEATHER. THE REAR WINDOW WIPER NO LONGER WORKS. I HAD CONSIDERED GETTING RID OF IT FOR SOMETHING NEWER, BUT I CAN'T SEE THE SENSE IN THROWING AWAY SOMETHING THAT COSTS ME ALMOST NOTHING TO MAINTAIN, HAS NO CAR PAYMENTS, AND IS AS TRUSTWORTHY AS THIS. WHAT AN EXCELLENT VEHICLE!"

Amazing Vehicle

By on Sunday, March 1, 2009

"This 99 is my 2nd one. My 87 went over 350,000 without a second thought. Almost trouble free, and only minor issues, (sensors, A/C compressor, things like that) but what can I expect for 350,000 miles. I used it, abused it, neglected it, and put it through things that would destroy the best of them. After I sold it to a friend, it got passed around his family for about another 5 years. It did hit 500,000 before I lost track of it. Even at that point, not even the valve cover was removed. That 4.0 is amazing. I have 84,000 on my 99 now, and it has never let me down, never stranded, always starts right up, even in -30 degree weather. I had to put a fuel pump in it, due to a short span of hard starting, But I expect at least that. What a fantastic truck. A little tight for front legroom, but changing the seat tracks to power helped a ton. If it got totalled today, I would replace it with another exactly like it. There will probably be one in my driveway till the day I die."

Dependable

By on Sunday, March 1, 2009

"A vehicle to get you from point A to point B, even in inclimate weather. Not comfortable, and drives like a tractor. But if your a person who's primary concern in a vehicle is the basic function of reliable transportation no matter the weather: This is the truck for you!"