1999 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 833 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

BEST CAR EVER MADE

By on Friday, July 12, 2013

"This was the first and only car I've ever owned. Bought it used 8 years ago with 85,000 miles on it and it drove as though it was brand new. Most reliable vehicle out there. Driven through floods, over a foot of snow and every type of weather imaginable never had a problem. Untouchable 4-Wheel drive, especially in blizzards when larger SUVs are in a ditch. Incredible pickup and awesome for long trips. Plan on driving this vehicle until it turns to dust. Wish they still made the Cherokee, nothing compares to it."

Great first car

By on Sunday, July 07, 2013

Pros: "great daily driver, good gas mileage, great towing"

Cons: "the back seat is small."

"I love this car the 4.0 is a beast and the fuel economy is NOT bad for a 4dr 4wd suv. It is very capable off road and will tow anything."

A real pity they stopped making the Jeep Cherokee

By on Saturday, July 06, 2013

Pros: "engine has a lot of torque"

Cons: "could have used a better steering box"

"The Jeep Cherokee is a simple vehicle with a quick peppy engine and transmission. They will go anywhere (ie up unplowed steep dirt roads). I have owned three of the Cherokees and they all were extremely reliable. Just regular maintenance like the oil and transmission fluid. You can put 300,000 miles on one easy. I did. They could have done a better design for the leaf springs. They all sag after about 125,000 miles. The steering is a bit sloppy- don't buy a new steering box- they are all the same. But overall the Jeep Cherokee is a really well made vehicle. Adequate cargo space, good visibility, and most importantly - they hold the road. Why did Chrysler to give up a sure thing?"

Haven't gotten stuck yet.

By on Monday, July 01, 2013

Pros: "reliable"

Cons: "smaller suv"

"Four feet of snow no problem, over 200k on original clutch with only basic maintenance."

Loved It

By on Monday, May 20, 2013

Pros: "Very Reliable"

Cons: "Gas Mileage, AC issues"

"I purchased my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport used in 2003 with 36k miles (it was a lease). I drove approximately 50 miles a day 7 days a week for 7 years (mostly highway driving), for the last 2 years I've been city driving about 10 miles a day 5 days a week. Other than normal oil changes, brakes, etc. It gets on average 17-18 mpg combined hwy/city when in 4x4 mode it gets 12-13 mpg. FYI, owners manual says to use mid grade 89 gas in it and I always have, but that is a little more expensive these days as well. The only problems I have had with this are the air conditioner never worked right even after replacing all components (which I understand is a common problem in these). My dad put the wrong kind of antifreeze in it once and gunked up the system so I've had to replace the radiator twice, but that is not really Jeep's fault. A screw fell out of my steering wheel once which left it undrivable and the tow truck driver not believeing me (it was new years eve and I think he thought I was an idiot or drunk) proceeded to spin my wheel the whole way around breaking the thing that deploys the airbag (it was like a $300 dollar part). I was rear ended by a full size pick up truck going about 40 mph when I was stopped and the rear hatch, floor, and bumper needed to be replaced but I was uninjured, these things are like tanks. I take very very good care of my cars regular maintainence, replacing parts at the suggested time (before the break, you get the idea), it now has 168k miles on it and just started leaking oil from the rear seal (which means removing the transmission) and a little bit of transmission fluid. I wish they still made these because I would buy another one in a heartbeat I loved this car, but it is now time to part with it, and seeing as how I no longer need a 4x4 I'm downsizing for better gas mileage. and like I said other than the AC haven't really had any major issues. There have been 1 or 2 other minor issues I can't remember what, but I think that is to be expected with any older used car with higher miles."

I love this car

By on Thursday, May 09, 2013

Pros: "Elegance yet ruggedness in a 4WD SUV"

Cons: "It gets 18 mpg on the highway which is just OK"

"I've had this car since Sept of 2001 and it's been a champ. People told me it was a good car and would last a long time and I've loved it for everything, city driving, road trips and ski trips. Having 4 WD and sturdy car for me as a woman is very important to my feeling of safety and empowerment I won't get stuck. I'm only selling it because I'm going abroad for a year, maybe more and it doesn't make sense to store it."

hade it for 15 years not a problom

By on Friday, April 26, 2013

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "not the best mpg 15/20"

"amazing quality 15 years not one problom and mpg is 15/20 outstanding better than the land rover rang rover"

Jeep Cherokee - Looks like a $65,000 Range Rover

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pros: "it's a Jeep! Go anywhere, reliable, retro-styling"

Cons: "Not a gas sipper, but if I try, can almost be!"

"My 2001 Jeep Cherokee is a limited Edition, complete with leather seats and all the bells and whistles they had in 2001. Has a CD player and a cassette player (remember those?). This vehicle never fails to start, and it had tremendous torque. It can go anywhere and it's comfortable to boot. It's also distinctive looking. Yes, it's boxey, but that's part of the appeal (Range Rover liked the look apparently). It can get 23 mpg if I try, or 18 if I don't. This engine is cast iron with 7 main bearings. It will easily run to 300,000. At a stop light, this baby can really go, having a 4.0 Litre engine V-6, and it's relatively light. So, go Jeeping. If you can find one in great condition, don't hesitate."

Best vehicle of 46 I have owned, and still do!

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pros: "Attractive, ruggid, costworthy, fun, dependable"

Cons: "Plastic trim that won't hold paint"

"I bought this Jeep when it was 4 years old and a lease return in 2002. It had 33,000 miles then. 11 years later, it now has 155,000 miles and really, it's just broke in. Aside from routine maintenance, tires, and fluid changes and grease, I have replaced brakes twice, and recently replaced the transfer case, as it was beginning to grind a little and shift hard. It still has the original exhaust system, but am ready for a new muffler. The pipes are all still solid. I've replaced the water pump twice, and the serpentine belt twice, the wheel bearings once, and just noticed today, the air conditioning has stopped working, may need a charge, but will probably replace the compressor. Believe it or not, I don't care, but from Ohio to Spartanburg, SC to visit friends, I average 26 MGP, on the trip down and back. Around town where I live, I have been averaging 17 to 18 MPG. It is more like a pleasure vehicle that I can go anywhere in, and also, the best hauling and utility vehicle I have ever owned. The engine still does not burn or leak any oil. This model has the IL6 cylinder engine, and I swear, there will never be a better utility vehicle engine ever built to compare to it. I have never talked to a newer Jeep owner as pleased with the newer models as they were with the original Cherokee before 2002. I'm 65 years old now, and I plan to drive it until I no longer can drive, or someone hits it on the roadway and it can't be fixed. But if it was repairable, I'd fight in court to get it fixed before settling with any insurance company due to it's age. It has been one of the best friends I ever had. If it could only play golf!!!!!"

Most reliable vehicle ever owned

By on Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Pros: "reliability/versatility/dependability/design"

Cons: "way too many plastic parts"

"This Jeep is the best, by far, of any vehicle I ever owned! When I get ready to 'let her go,' I WILL be getting another Jeep!"

Not bad for a cheap 4WD

By on Friday, March 22, 2013

Pros: "4WD, Looks."

Cons: "Shaky ride."

"I recently purchased a 99 Jeep Cherokee SE. 4.0 6cyl. I had to replace 2 universal joints, and an A/C compressor. The 4WD works great. It looks good, inside and out. As for daily driving, it's a bit shaky. There's always something vibrating. For a 14 year old vehicle, it's really not bad."

Not many favorite car. Good for most of its life.

By on Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Reason: Needed a car with 3rd row

Pros: "Power windows, locks and steering"

Cons: "Everything else"

"I bought this car new in 1999 and sold it in 2009 to buy a Honda Pilot EX w/ Leather seats and with RES. In the jeep I got a 4WD 4dr sport model in red with gray cloth interior. I should have gotten rid of it a while ago. The car had no features what so ever. The only features were power windows, power locks and power steering. I got privacy glass too. This car didn't have any features as I mentioned, I wish I would have gotten a fully loaded leather model but I just drive to work and back mostly so it wasn't necessary. It's a good first car but I wouldn't recommend it. I need features in a car."

ONe tough Jeep!....172K basic repairs, no problems

By on Saturday, February 02, 2013

"I drove 150K and gave it to daughter for high school...she drove it hard but the vehicle ran great....is perfect for a high school kid...sturdy, heavy, reliable, 4WD, its not a smooth rice like the GC and it bounces around a bit on the open road...but overall great SUV"

This Jeep is Bulletproof.

By on Friday, January 11, 2013

Pros: "A head turner. Fun to drive."

Cons: "20 mpg, but who cares--it can go anywhere!"

"I purchased my Jeep three years ago from a lady that used it just to go shopping, etc. It had never been abused. The interior looks new and the engine, transmission are tight. I needed a four wheel drive to haul my 17' boat to and from the boat ramp. The Jeep is so clean and I have received so many compliments on it I have decided to keep it for my Sunday driver. I take it to car shows and people love it. It is garaged, and I plan to keep this Jeep for a very long time."

16 yrs, 230K mi. very reliable, parks great,

By on Wednesday, January 02, 2013

"I've owned my '97 Jeep Cherokee for 16 yrs, 230K mi. Very reliable, good cargo space, parks great in tight city spots, 4WD great in snow, perfect height for loading canoes on top."

Awesome, rugged compact SUV.

By on Thursday, December 20, 2012

Pros: "Tough, cheap to own, fun to drive"

Cons: "Subpar gas milegae, interior build quality is meh"

"This has got to be one of the toughest and most reliable vehicles I've ever owned. Rugged, simple, well made and powerful, the Cherokee will do just about anything you ask it to. Great for hauling friends, cargo or anything else! I love this thing and plan on having it for a while. It is cheap to own and maintain and is a blast to drive. I HIGHLY recommend one."

Most reliable vheicle I've ever owned

By on Monday, December 03, 2012

Cons: "Hard but honest drive on rough roads like we have"

"I've owned many vehicles in my life (age 77) and this 99 Jeep Cherokee is the best of the bunch for reliability, fun to drive and cost to own. It's been absolutely reliable and trustworthy. When first bought it was used for bona fide off-road use in addition to general use. It's been to the Pac NW and back several times. It has skid places and towing package. It'll still last longer than some of these effeminate small suvs."

Has been a good, reliable friend for 15 years.

By on Sunday, November 25, 2012

Pros: "Reliability, value, convenience"

Cons: "Getting into the back seat for passengers"

Bought to haul big dogs. Now hauls an ankle biter.

"As a single woman, I need a reliable vehicle that I can trust to get me home, even on snowy roads. Big Red has been extremely reliable and a great value. I've kept it maintained and don't treat it badly, so it looks & runs like it's brand new. I had sports cars before so I have never been bothered by the somewhat stiff ride. I've never kept a car this long but since the design changed on the new Jeeps (which I don't like), I plan to keep it because it's so handy to have when one has just one vehicle. Besides by now, it would be emotional to get rid of such a loyal friend."

Bought to haul big dogs. Now hauls an ankle biter.

Great Jeep

By on Tuesday, November 13, 2012

"I bought this Jeep a year ago and have put 10,000 miles on it. Pros: Reliable, Durable the 4.0L engine is unstoppable. This truck does very well in the snow and handles well I used it to go to class 20 miles 3 days a week. Cons: MPG I get 18 avg., and there is not much space I am 6'4" and am comfortable in it, it does ride a little rough. Overall I would buy another and recomend this truck to a friend."

AWESOME HANDLING

By on Thursday, October 11, 2012

Pros: "FUN TO DRIVE."

Cons: "NONE."

"AN EXCELENT ON AND OFF ROAD VERSITLE VEHICLE."

Best all around Jeep ever produced

By on Monday, September 17, 2012

Pros: "Good price performance"

Cons: "None - it is a man's car"

"I have know idea why theCherokee was discontinued. It did everything I asked and more. You can go anywhere, haul brush, logs, garbage and carry a canoe on top and a German shorthair fiding shotgun. It is my fourth cherokee and probably my last as the replacements are over the top or lack the carrying power."

GREAT VEHICLE!!

By on Thursday, June 28, 2012

Pros: "reliable"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"i have owned my 2000 cherokee limited for well over a year now... i have put about 10k miles on it since i got it. it has been very reliable, not many problems (other than me frying the PCM) other than that and the gas mileage its great!"

Best car I ever owned.

By on Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Pros: "Solid built engine, transmission, 4 wheel drive."

Cons: "Week factory rear springs"

"I bought this Jeep after doing some research on my own. I knew the history on the car. The 4.0L I6 is one of the reliable engines every made! I own a rare 5 speed manual that is built strong but I know the automatic is just as reliable. I would recommend this Jeep to first time young drivers, or the weekend warrior."

Nothing better

By on Sunday, June 24, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, reliable, lasts forever"

Cons: "low gas mileage, rides a bit rough"

"This vehicle has been in my family since we bought it new in 1997. I've been driving it for for 7 years and I love it. I've used it for hauling equipment, towing a boat, and moving across the country. It rides a little rougher than most, but it is incredibly reliable. I'd never trade it for anything else. I've put some money into the brake system and other parts, but it's worth it. The engine should take me a long way yet and I plan on driving her until she dies. Hands down one of the best vehicles still on the road after 15 years. It's worth the extra money spent on gas to know your car will take you where you need to go."

The Last of the Real Jeeps

By on Monday, June 18, 2012

Pros: "economical (other than gas), uncomplicated,"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"This is my 2nd Cherokee. I owned a '92 and now this '01. A few other cars I had in between just didn't live up to the value of the Cherokee. With a Jeep you know what you got and you know what you don't got. Simple and straightforward. Little fluff and a lot of tough stuff. There is no replacement in the current Jeep line up that takes the place of the Cherokee. A great vehicle that Detroit (Toledo) produced for many years that was a jewel they didn't truly realized."