1999 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 847 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Great all around vehicle!

By on Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Pros: "Go anywhere vehicle!"

Cons: "Gas mileage and tight back seats."

"Bought this car with just under 75,000 miles a year and a half ago. I have had no problems what so ever. Great off-road and not to shabby on. Not the best gas mileage but what can you expect for a 98 4.0L straight six (which is pretty much bullet proof). Very torquey and pretty good hauling power. Back seats are kinda tight for adults. Great for outdoor adventures and just as fun to take to the store. Wish there was more aftermarket options, like the wranglers."

good stuff

By on Sunday, February 24, 2008

"'98 jeep cherokee sport has been in my family for 10 years now and it's only got a few mechanical issues. no major engine problems have ever occurred. it's a great car. gas mileage could be better, but it is an SUV."

Overall Great Vehicle

By on Tuesday, January 22, 2008

"I just sold my 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport. Overall, this has definately been my favorite car. Super fun to drive, especially to play around in the snow! I bought it when it had about 74K miles. By the time I sold it, it had well over 115K miles. I did put a 3 inch lift on it which made the ride very bumpy. The oversized tires didn't help much either but it did look awesome! My only complaints were that it tended to overheat when pulling something, especially driving through the mountians of PA. I also had a bad problem with the rust. I waxed it at least every other month but the rust was ridiculous! The only reason I sold it was because I moved to FL and no longer needed a 4x4. Needed to get something a little better on gas too. I got about 15 16 mpg. I also had a small plow installed on the front. It did a great job pushing snow for a little SUV. I do recommend a lift if you are planning to do this. The front saggs alot with the weight of the plow. I actually put springs from a F150 on the front which kept it up in the air, even with the weight of the plow. Definately made the ride ruff though. If you are thinking about buying one, I would highly recommend it. It was always reliable and like I said, it was a blast to drive. It has decent power and was pretty comfortable before the lift kit and big tires. Good luck!"

great vehicle

By on Friday, December 21, 2007

"we bought this car used with around 76k on it and now almost 5 yrs later has about double that. We have had no major mechanical problems, even though this vehicle has been rear-ended twice. I love it is plenty big enough for a family of 4 and you can squeeze a family of 5 in Jennifer"

Utility

By on Tuesday, December 18, 2007

"The Jeep Cherokee is a terrific piece of machinery. It has graceful road manors, and can carry a lot of gear off road. It gets decent gas mileage, and is good on the highway. The only thing it does not do as well as my wrangler is short turns, but this is a compromise that has to be made for good highway performance and capacity that comes with an extended wheel base."

Legendary Vehicle!!!!

By on Sunday, December 16, 2007

"Overall best Jeep of the 2001 vehicles. No other suv came close to competing with the 2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic."

Great buy

By on Thursday, December 06, 2007

"I bought my jeep new in summer of 1998 and have put 221984 miles as of 12-1-2007. I have had very few problems that would be expected for a vehicle with this many miles. It is not the roomest suv on the road but I am still getting around 21 miles mpg. This motor is one of the best evermade and it is a shame that the new jeeps do not come with the 4.0."

I Hate Jeep!!!

By on Tuesday, November 13, 2007

"I can't believe they discontinued the Jeep Cherokee. I would buy another one again and again for the rest of my life if they were available. This has been the best vehicle I've ever owned and I've owned quite a few. 161000 miles in 7 years without any problems. I just need a little more cargo space now so have to upgrade."

All Time Best SUV

By on Thursday, October 11, 2007

"Bought a 1999 used at great bargain price of $8000 in 2001. After intensive research on a reliable, low maintenance 4x4, the Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 was the top choice. It has never had any major problems, just minor normal maintenance. When something needed fixing, parts were cheap and plentiful. And you can do all the repairs yourself, since there's tons of room under the hood. You don't even need to raise the Cherokee to slide under it, since it has a healthy ground clearance. Great in all weather, even the most foul blizzards! A real winner as far as a basic do-it-all runabout, cargo hauler, and off-roader. It's compact size makes it the perfect city car too! I parallel parked the Cherokee in the smallest parking spaces in Chicago; believe me, I've not had a single problem finding street parking in the Wrigleyville area where I live."

Can't beat the 4 wheel drive

By on Tuesday, October 09, 2007

"Extremely reliable!! About the best 4 wheel drive made. Has just about the same tow rating as a truck. The I6 4.0L 242ci motor already has a good reputation for being a long lasting motor. Plenty of power faster than most all trucks in accel. Beats all trucks in top end. Tops out at 120ish not a lot of power up there though. This vehicle also has a transmission that Toyota made for them along with a Toyota like front end and telescope drive shafts. Also comes stock with better lockers than any truck I know of. I get low 20's mpg on highway. I love my Jeep."