1999 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 847 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Great Vehicle

By on Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Pros: "Great all around vehicle. Super in the snow"

Cons: "Could use a bit more leg room on the clutch side"

"Too bad they discontinued this vehicle. It's probably one of the best models Jeep ever made. The engine is terrific. I bought it used with 62,000 mile. After owning it for over 13 yrs, I now have 192,000 mile. It'll last forever."

Best 4x4 ever!

By on Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Reason: Accident, sold for parts.

Pros: "Fun, never stuck, roomy"

Cons: "Gas mileage, rust"

"I bought my '98 Sport, 4.0L, 5-Speed in '00, it was a lease turn-in. My dad had a '90 until he traded that in on a '99 that he still owns. I loved my Cherokee, except for the inevitable rocker panel rust (consequence of Upstate NY winters). Only major repairs were radiator, heater core, clutch, and leaf springs. As long as you do proper maintenance these things will run forever. Tons of modifications are available. 200,000+ miles and it still runs like new, too bad the unibody got bent after losing it on black ice."

Jeep Cherokee - Looks like a $65,000 Range Rover

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pros: "it's a Jeep! Go anywhere, reliable, retro-styling"

Cons: "Not a gas sipper, but if I try, can almost be!"

"My 2001 Jeep Cherokee is a limited Edition, complete with leather seats and all the bells and whistles they had in 2001. Has a CD player and a cassette player (remember those?). This vehicle never fails to start, and it had tremendous torque. It can go anywhere and it's comfortable to boot. It's also distinctive looking. Yes, it's boxey, but that's part of the appeal (Range Rover liked the look apparently). It can get 23 mpg if I try, or 18 if I don't. This engine is cast iron with 7 main bearings. It will easily run to 300,000. At a stop light, this baby can really go, having a 4.0 Litre engine V-6, and it's relatively light. So, go Jeeping. If you can find one in great condition, don't hesitate."

The Last of the Real Jeeps

By on Monday, June 18, 2012

Pros: "economical (other than gas), uncomplicated,"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"This is my 2nd Cherokee. I owned a '92 and now this '01. A few other cars I had in between just didn't live up to the value of the Cherokee. With a Jeep you know what you got and you know what you don't got. Simple and straightforward. Little fluff and a lot of tough stuff. There is no replacement in the current Jeep line up that takes the place of the Cherokee. A great vehicle that Detroit (Toledo) produced for many years that was a jewel they didn't truly realized."

Can't go wrong with a Cherokee

By on Saturday, December 06, 2008

"I love the Jeep Cherokee, I can't believe Chrysler decided to replace them with the sad Liberty. I have owned three cherokee's and currently have two. One of them is the first vehical I have ever bought and is now my street legal offroad toy, it is a 87, 4.0, 5 speed. They do amazing and you can fit 4 people comfortably in them. Just drove 1,000 miles one way to Moab Utah in it last month, wheeled for 4 days on 35inch tires, then drove another 1,000 miles home. My other is my daily driver, it is a 2000 Limited, 4x4, automatic, with 275,000 miles on it. It is still in perfect running condition, the only non-maintance part replaced ever was the A/C compressor. Pretty impresive for a vehical with this many miles. I don't baby it either, we took a 100 mile trip to the sand dunes last weekend and I got 21mpg highway with it. I will always own one, very solid, reliable, comfortable, rugged, powerfull vehicals. The visibilty in them is great to and they are still simple to fix if needed!"