1999 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 841 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

my best vehical

By on Sunday, May 11, 2014

Pros: "great in woods"

"tank"

This is the best vehicle I have ever owned by far.

By on Saturday, May 10, 2014

Pros: "dependable, great for moving stuff around"

Cons: "not great on gas, that's it"

"The main reason this vehicle has been so good for me has been the very low amount of repairs it has required over the life span of my ownership. I bought this vehicle when it had already seen 134k miles of use and have put another 70k on it with almost no money invested in upkeep. Had I been smarter about maintaining this vehicle I have no doubt that it would have lasted me another five yrs, as it is it is now on it's last legs due to bad ball joints rust and several small issues that would have been repairable had they been addressed in a timely fashion. All of the rust issues are more about the new england winters and not having washed it nearly often enough to fight the salt up here. Best rig for hauling stuff around town, not real great on mpg but good if you work locally."

Bulletproof drivetrain!

By on Friday, May 09, 2014

"3 in our family, 260k,310k,465k, no drivetrain problems ever!That's why they discontinued this model!"

Good engine but the rest falls apart.

By on Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Pros: "good engine, large cargo area, love the 4x4"

Cons: "Death wobble, electrical glitches, body rusts out."

"My jeep Cherokee was really reliable the first 5 years. At that mark it started going down hill. The driver window would go down and get stuck, passenger quit working. The rear differential had to be replaced at 5 AND 7 year mark. Year 7 the kickpanels started rusting. Despite treatment, they are non-existent at this point. In 2010 I hit a pothole and starting experiencing the "Death Wobble". Look it up. It's terrifying so we had the track bar replaced. This is apparently common especially on lifted Cherokee's. Mine has not been lifted and aside from driving through our yard, it has never been off roading. My headliner is falling down and the AC quit 3 years ago. That being said. It has a good engine that won't quit. My truck has got me through some pretty rough winters and kept me on the road when in 4 high. When young this truck is a cherry. I know she ain't new, I just wish the body was made as good as the engine. It's going to be hard to part with mine but I can't keep sinking money into her at this point. Much like a beloved horse with a broken leg, my jeep needs put down. I can't honestly recommend my 1999 Jeep to anyone with all her problems at this point. If she was new, it would be a different story."

Best Vehicle I Have Owned, For This Area Perfect!

By on Sunday, May 04, 2014

"I Have Owned This For 16 Yrs. Got It With 1,700 Miles On it. No Major Problums. Just Replacment of worn parts."

Sharp, Reliable, Classy and handles like a dream!!

By on Friday, May 02, 2014

Pros: "Luxurious!!!!"

Cons: "Rust on the main frame"

"I had a Chevy Blazer and was looking to trade it in. The salesman suggested a Jeep. I never thought of owning one, until I saw this model. I immediately fell in love with it. The interior, the comfort, it's sharp and luxurious!! I melted into the leather seat and started it and off I went. Smooth handling, purring yet powerful engine. I felt I was driving the ultimate machine. Needless to say, I bought it. I've owned this 10 years now and she's beginning to show rust. But I can't part with it and intend on repairing it. I will restore it and can't end this love affair. Silly huh? :p A Jeep is the finest machine I have come across. The engine still purrs and is powerful. But the new Jeep doesn't have the luxury inside like mine and that deters me from buying new. If they would put the luxury back into the Jeep I would consider it. A 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Limited)are the Best!!!!"

These older model Jeeps are awesome

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pros: "reliable"

"I bought this car new and I love it. The older Jeeps are beasts and last forever."

Awesome vehicle

By on Friday, April 11, 2014

Pros: "Extremely reliable and off-road capable stock"

"This is my second Jeep and I love it! They are extreamly reliable, good on gas, have lots of space for transporting people or things, and just awesome in general."

Best decision ive ever made

By on Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, awesome off road, reliable, fast"

Cons: "little leg room in back, headliner seems to sag"

"its so versatile and durable. even with 155k miles the jeep will beat newer 6cyl cars in a race. my XJ has a few performance mods to it and its just a monster. even though its lifted the engine still does not struggle. hands down best car I've ever bought. worth every penny"

great little truck not parting with it yet

By on Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Pros: "WHAT A ADVENTURE"

Cons: "windows stick drivers side door lock key only"

"goes every where with me I LOVE MY JEEP YOU SHOULD BYE ONE YOU WILL FALL IN LOVE TOO"

I love my Jeep and am sorry to sell it

By on Sunday, February 23, 2014

Pros: "Good visibility, parks anywhere, 4-wheel wonder"

Cons: "back seat lacks comfort"

"I have had my Jeep since 2000 and am so sad to part with it. I quit driving it on the highway a year ago when the accelerator stuck, however, and am selling it to someone who will use it on a farm. My biggest problems with it: air conditioner went out a few years ago and I invested in a new one but it is not working well. A few problems with the power windows and I paid a bundle to have them fixed. One door lock quit working and we took it off the master system instead of investing hundreds more to get it fixed. Despite all this I love this car and it is going to pain me to let it go."

good overall vehicle

By on Friday, February 14, 2014

Pros: "great in snow and ice"

Cons: "too many leaks! rear end noise."

"cannot give a 'great vehicle' due to rear carrier problems from new. vehicle is on third carrier. Noisy but still going. Shouldn't be noisy since the design has been around for many years so there should be no problems with noise. Also power steering pump leaking, rocker arm cover leaking at firewall and rear main seal leaking. Covering on ceiling has seperated from its base and hangs down. the vehicle has cloth seats that have held up well. my dog traveled with me everywhere so the interior was used hard but showed ho signs of wear. vehicle excellent in snow, especially with the 4 wheel drive in low. i'm trading for the new (2014) Cherokee which I hope will be a 'great vehicle' in 128K miles!"

Exactly what you think when you look at it.

By on Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pros: "4x4, power, and reliability"

Cons: "Gas and air conditioning"

"I've been driving my Cherokee for about six months now and even though I've had to replace some minor things (it was a northern car), it's exactly what you think of when you are looking for a 4x4. GREAT power AMAZING 4x4 Not great, but really not too horrible on the MPG, but if you're looking for a 4x4 with great mpg, they are out there, they just don't have the towing, power of reliability when it comes to kicking it into 4 low. I was towing a trailer, the road ended, so I had to turn around. Making a wide turn, the Jeep slid about 8 feet in the mud... I put her in 4 low and crawled out without a problem. I was little a giddy school girl. The inside isn't a lot to look at, but it's exactly what you need and has two cup holders."

excellent vechile

By on Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pros: "best 4x4 for money"

Cons: "cant find any cons about it"

"best 4x4 around gets better gas mileage than wife's 4 Cyl. Kia 4 wheel drive unstoppable ,good looking ,proud to have in in driveway , at 187,000 motor and trans doing great well engineered"

I will miss her

By on Sunday, February 02, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, great clearance, tough as I am,"

Cons: "Grieving my loss can't think of any cons"

Not a scratch on me

"I was looking for something that would get me off the ground so I could see over weeds at intersection but not so high I would have trouble getting in. She was perfect, though only rear wheel drive she did great in most conditions. Only tricky thing was traction while up hill if no momentum. Today I hit a patch of us while accelerating up hill and I fish tailed, wobbled and eventually hit the ditch that sent me end over end. What remains of my girl looks like major injuries should have occurred...nothing. The back end is in the back seat the hood crunched but the cab is fine and so am I. I had planned on keeping her forever. I was comfortable driving her at only 5' and was able to see, my 5'9" husband was also comfortable and not squished in."

Not a scratch on me

Fantastic vehicle

By on Thursday, January 23, 2014

Pros: "Trail manners power"

Cons: "Fuel use"

"Great on the trail, tons of upgrade parts and I can work on some things myself."

front end damage engine runs needs work has noise

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "4 wheel works tires ,breaks,seats nice"

Cons: "engine has noice when starts grill damaged"

"has new head water pump radiator battery starter no heat or air tires good and brakes rest of body nice"

I live in the New England area, enough said!

By on Sunday, January 12, 2014

Pros: "Excellent vehicle for winter conditions. Fun!!!"

Cons: "The ride is a little stiff."

"This is my second Jeep and will never drive anything else. Have found myself on dirt roads that changed into barely a path with the huge rocks and some flooding like on the commercials and know where to turn around. Went through it all with no worries. I have bought all my vehicles second hand, never new. The Jeeps have my vote for excellence and no it does not ride like my Jag but we can`t have everything. PS My first Jeep was totaled by my son and the only injuries was two black eyes ( air bag) and bruising where the seat belt caused pressure."

best SUV

By on Monday, December 30, 2013

Pros: "run great, looks, off road abilities, fun to drive"

Cons: "I'm stretching here, better gas mileage..."

"In my opinion, one of the best suv's money can buy. You see them everywhere and with the 6.0L motor they pretty much run forever. I don't see getting rid of her until something seriously goes wrong and even then.... have only had minor problems and once you own one you just learn to love the little quirks. Best SUV by far, new or old."

Great Amenities and Durable as Anything

By on Thursday, December 26, 2013

Pros: "Durable, straight 6 power & does bad weather gr8"

Cons: "leg room limited, gas mileage could be better"

"Owned my '99 Sport since 2000. Paid 24K but worth it over the years. Haven;t had a car payment in a decade! Only complaints are limited leg room and 14-20 mpg gas mileage but i'm 6'3" and i deal with it just fine. Other than that, it's great - she's good & high so it clears over a foot of snow, which it chomps thru real easily, and handles really well in snow & even icy conditions. At least 5-6 mechanics have tried to buy it from me (not offering near what I'd ask) as well as other people, multiple people say they've seenothers w/200K plus and still running great, because it's the last straight 6, 4.0L Jeep that put in their vehicles. I snarl at, and won;t consider buying, 1 of those 2.4L put-puts. They shoul go back to the 4.0L It's "so" old it has a tape player & no cruise, but for my work & around town vehicle, with a little off-roading, it's the bomb."

I love this car

By on Monday, December 16, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, easy to park,accomodates family of 4"

Cons: "a little small inside and isn't good on gas."

"I have had this car for 14 years and it has been great. I haven't had any major problems with it and it has taken me all the country and back. I pull a tent trailer with it and take it out to the desert 4 wheelin..and it is still very comfortable and rides like a car."

i love my jeep

By on Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive."

Cons: "low mpg"

"honestly, best car i could ask for. mpg isnt too great but the power is extraordinary. mine is lifted and has 31's onit and does phenomenal in sand snow and mud!"

GREAT SUV

By on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "DRIVING CONFORT"

Cons: "NOT MUCH REAR SEAT LEG ROOM."

"THE JEEP IS A VERY CAPABLE SU. TO GET MORE AND POWER, I PUT IN A TORNADO FUEL SAVER IN THE INTAKE HOSE, TI REALLY WORKS! I HAVW PUSH BACK IN YOUR SEAT POWER, WHEN NEEDED, I ALSO AM SAVING SOME FUEL!"

Reliable, strong motor, excellent towing.

By on Monday, November 04, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, strong motor, excellent towing"

Cons: "Short, narrow wheel base-squirrely to drive."

"Has been a very reliable vehicle. Straight six motor is very strong and we have towed a tent trailer with no problmes. Only concern is short and narrow wheel base make this vehicle less stable to drive than others."

My Baby!!

By on Sunday, October 27, 2013

Pros: "what's not to love?"

Cons: "What's not to love?"

Loaded down with camping gear and family, headed to 2013 Wakarusa!

"Would not trade my baby for anything else..!! first time owning a jeep and loving every minute of it!! Great for hiway, off road, camping, travel, or work. (i am a LMT) She is cleaned and babied and responds well when i need her to. Yes i am very, very happy with my Jeep Cherokee Laredo! Recommend it to all people of all ages!"

Loaded down with camping gear and family, headed to 2013 Wakarusa!