1999 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 836 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Very solid SUV

By on Thursday, August 09, 2007

"I've had my Cherokee for almost six years now (I bought it used with about 35,000 miles), and I've driven it across the country no less than six times--two of those times I was towning a U-haul trailer. It has over 120,000 miles on it now, and I've never had a problem with it on the road. There have been some minor repairs (brake rotors, fuses, wipers, and speakers), but nothing significant to to make me shy away from buying another Jeep some day. The only complaint I have is the comfort of the front and rear seats. The front have no lumbar support, and the rear seats have no head rests. All in all, my Cherokee has served me very well, and I could not be happier with what I have gotten out of it these last six years."

Owned 3 jeeps

By on Wednesday, August 08, 2007

"I have owned 3 jeeps and all have been very reliable vehicles. I would reccomend one to basically anyone. Not the best city-based vehicle, because of the gas mileage, but I live in downtown portland and it's still a great car to me. Excellent in snow. You can basically run them to the ground (250K miles!)...excellent car!!"

Great Value

By on Wednesday, August 08, 2007

"This is about as basic an SUV as you can get. It is essentially a box on a truck chassis. The ride is relatively noisy, without much insulation from the road. There is plenty of glass area, making it easy to see out of while driving. The square design, with clearly defined corners, enables the vehicle to be maneuvered with surprising precision. The engine is extremely reliable, the transmission slightly less so. With regular maintenance it should not be difficult to put 200-250k miles on the truck before encountering significant problems. I have just purchased my 2nd Cherokee- this one is for my daughter- which should give an indication of how I feel about the Cherokee. From 1996-2003 I put 115k a '94 model. Other than a water pump, radiator and an AC compressor, it was reliable and trouble free. Maintenance items during that time included oil changes every 3kmiles, transmission services and tune ups every 30k miles, new serpentine belt at 60k miles. The rear cargo area is easy to access but there were times I wished from more space. The back seat is neither roomy, nor comfortable for long periods. Overall the Cherokee is an excellent value for anyone looking for basic, reliable transportation."

By on Tuesday, August 07, 2007

"I am on my second Cherokee a 99, and i love it. The first one i had got totalled and i walked away without a scratch. So i went out and bought the same exact thing just a different color. Best vehicles i have ever owned hands down. This Jeep will get you through anything so its well worth dealing with the bad gas mileage!"

By on Tuesday, August 07, 2007

"I have owned my 2000 Cherokee Sport 4x4 for 7 years, bought it new in june 2000. I have put 176,500 miles on it and have never had a serious problem. Oil changes every 3500 miles, a couple drivetrain fluid changes, a new battery, two exhausts, three sets of tires and thats it. This is awesome, it simply wont die. Engine is still strong, transmission is getting a bit clunky. Overall, a great jeep, my only bad comment is gas mileage, but i knew this when i bought it, being only rated for 14/20 cty/hwy"