1999 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 847 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

THE MOST DRUABLE VEHICLE I HAVE OWNED

By on Sunday, July 29, 2007

"In 2001 I traded in my '96 Grand Cherokee Limited for this 2001 Cherokee Sport, ..new. The Grand Cherokee Limited AWD Drive train was not satisfactory for my need for a selective differential; so the part time 4WD in the Cherokee was more suitable to my rough service needs. 170,000 miles later, three sets of tires, three sets of brake pads (the original rear shoes lasted 165,000 miles), 34 synthetic oil changes @ 6qts each, one trans/fluid change, one battery, one radiator flush, 12 wiper blade replacements; here I am.... I average 23/24 mpg at highway speeds, 15/16 in city. I recently tried to replace it with a new SUV; but there was nothing on the new vehicle market (not even Jeep) that would come close to replacing it. I have decided to keep this vehicle and see how long it will continue to serve my needs. I intend to invest the money I would have spent on new car payments on a new satellite radio system, and gasoline at $3.25/gal."

'89 with 257k and going strong

By on Saturday, February 13, 2010

"Bought my '89 Laredo 4x4 new. Still my daily driver. Have newer toys, but they break. I always end up back in the Cherokee. Routine maintenance and new parts have averaged $57 per year over the last 21 years. It's never left me stranded. Rear end went out once in the mountains. Pulled the rear drive shaft, duct taped the transfer case hole, drove home as a front wheel drive. Hardest repair: Slave cylinder on the clutch took 2.5 hours. They made millions of these, so everything that wears out is in stock at the local auto parts store, and the parts are inexpensive. Only valid complaint is that the interior plastic stuff is breaking due to old age. Probably will be buried in this thing."

Best car I ever owned.

By on Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Pros: "Solid built engine, transmission, 4 wheel drive."

Cons: "Week factory rear springs"

"I bought this Jeep after doing some research on my own. I knew the history on the car. The 4.0L I6 is one of the reliable engines every made! I own a rare 5 speed manual that is built strong but I know the automatic is just as reliable. I would recommend this Jeep to first time young drivers, or the weekend warrior."

Nothing better

By on Sunday, June 24, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, reliable, lasts forever"

Cons: "low gas mileage, rides a bit rough"

"This vehicle has been in my family since we bought it new in 1997. I've been driving it for for 7 years and I love it. I've used it for hauling equipment, towing a boat, and moving across the country. It rides a little rougher than most, but it is incredibly reliable. I'd never trade it for anything else. I've put some money into the brake system and other parts, but it's worth it. The engine should take me a long way yet and I plan on driving her until she dies. Hands down one of the best vehicles still on the road after 15 years. It's worth the extra money spent on gas to know your car will take you where you need to go."

Best vehicle ever

By on Wednesday, August 05, 2009

"Great vehicle. I never had a major problem with my Cherokee. Engine has lasted for over 108,000 miles and is still running strong. Handling and 4-wheel drive excellent in snow and off-road. I would put money on the jeep to beat any truck off-road any day. I wish they were still manufactured. What will I do when she dies?"

Great Vehicle

By on Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Pros: "Great all around vehicle. Super in the snow"

Cons: "Could use a bit more leg room on the clutch side"

"Too bad they discontinued this vehicle. It's probably one of the best models Jeep ever made. The engine is terrific. I bought it used with 62,000 mile. After owning it for over 13 yrs, I now have 192,000 mile. It'll last forever."

Best 4x4 ever!

By on Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Reason: Accident, sold for parts.

Pros: "Fun, never stuck, roomy"

Cons: "Gas mileage, rust"

"I bought my '98 Sport, 4.0L, 5-Speed in '00, it was a lease turn-in. My dad had a '90 until he traded that in on a '99 that he still owns. I loved my Cherokee, except for the inevitable rocker panel rust (consequence of Upstate NY winters). Only major repairs were radiator, heater core, clutch, and leaf springs. As long as you do proper maintenance these things will run forever. Tons of modifications are available. 200,000+ miles and it still runs like new, too bad the unibody got bent after losing it on black ice."

Jeep Cherokee - Looks like a $65,000 Range Rover

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pros: "it's a Jeep! Go anywhere, reliable, retro-styling"

Cons: "Not a gas sipper, but if I try, can almost be!"

"My 2001 Jeep Cherokee is a limited Edition, complete with leather seats and all the bells and whistles they had in 2001. Has a CD player and a cassette player (remember those?). This vehicle never fails to start, and it had tremendous torque. It can go anywhere and it's comfortable to boot. It's also distinctive looking. Yes, it's boxey, but that's part of the appeal (Range Rover liked the look apparently). It can get 23 mpg if I try, or 18 if I don't. This engine is cast iron with 7 main bearings. It will easily run to 300,000. At a stop light, this baby can really go, having a 4.0 Litre engine V-6, and it's relatively light. So, go Jeeping. If you can find one in great condition, don't hesitate."

The Last of the Real Jeeps

By on Monday, June 18, 2012

Pros: "economical (other than gas), uncomplicated,"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"This is my 2nd Cherokee. I owned a '92 and now this '01. A few other cars I had in between just didn't live up to the value of the Cherokee. With a Jeep you know what you got and you know what you don't got. Simple and straightforward. Little fluff and a lot of tough stuff. There is no replacement in the current Jeep line up that takes the place of the Cherokee. A great vehicle that Detroit (Toledo) produced for many years that was a jewel they didn't truly realized."

Can't go wrong with a Cherokee

By on Saturday, December 06, 2008

"I love the Jeep Cherokee, I can't believe Chrysler decided to replace them with the sad Liberty. I have owned three cherokee's and currently have two. One of them is the first vehical I have ever bought and is now my street legal offroad toy, it is a 87, 4.0, 5 speed. They do amazing and you can fit 4 people comfortably in them. Just drove 1,000 miles one way to Moab Utah in it last month, wheeled for 4 days on 35inch tires, then drove another 1,000 miles home. My other is my daily driver, it is a 2000 Limited, 4x4, automatic, with 275,000 miles on it. It is still in perfect running condition, the only non-maintance part replaced ever was the A/C compressor. Pretty impresive for a vehical with this many miles. I don't baby it either, we took a 100 mile trip to the sand dunes last weekend and I got 21mpg highway with it. I will always own one, very solid, reliable, comfortable, rugged, powerfull vehicals. The visibilty in them is great to and they are still simple to fix if needed!"

Best vehicle of 46 I have owned, and still do!

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pros: "Attractive, ruggid, costworthy, fun, dependable"

Cons: "Plastic trim that won't hold paint"

"I bought this Jeep when it was 4 years old and a lease return in 2002. It had 33,000 miles then. 11 years later, it now has 155,000 miles and really, it's just broke in. Aside from routine maintenance, tires, and fluid changes and grease, I have replaced brakes twice, and recently replaced the transfer case, as it was beginning to grind a little and shift hard. It still has the original exhaust system, but am ready for a new muffler. The pipes are all still solid. I've replaced the water pump twice, and the serpentine belt twice, the wheel bearings once, and just noticed today, the air conditioning has stopped working, may need a charge, but will probably replace the compressor. Believe it or not, I don't care, but from Ohio to Spartanburg, SC to visit friends, I average 26 MGP, on the trip down and back. Around town where I live, I have been averaging 17 to 18 MPG. It is more like a pleasure vehicle that I can go anywhere in, and also, the best hauling and utility vehicle I have ever owned. The engine still does not burn or leak any oil. This model has the IL6 cylinder engine, and I swear, there will never be a better utility vehicle engine ever built to compare to it. I have never talked to a newer Jeep owner as pleased with the newer models as they were with the original Cherokee before 2002. I'm 65 years old now, and I plan to drive it until I no longer can drive, or someone hits it on the roadway and it can't be fixed. But if it was repairable, I'd fight in court to get it fixed before settling with any insurance company due to it's age. It has been one of the best friends I ever had. If it could only play golf!!!!!"

Amazing Vehicle

By on Sunday, March 01, 2009

"This 99 is my 2nd one. My 87 went over 350,000 without a second thought. Almost trouble free, and only minor issues, (sensors, A/C compressor, things like that) but what can I expect for 350,000 miles. I used it, abused it, neglected it, and put it through things that would destroy the best of them. After I sold it to a friend, it got passed around his family for about another 5 years. It did hit 500,000 before I lost track of it. Even at that point, not even the valve cover was removed. That 4.0 is amazing. I have 84,000 on my 99 now, and it has never let me down, never stranded, always starts right up, even in -30 degree weather. I had to put a fuel pump in it, due to a short span of hard starting, But I expect at least that. What a fantastic truck. A little tight for front legroom, but changing the seat tracks to power helped a ton. If it got totalled today, I would replace it with another exactly like it. There will probably be one in my driveway till the day I die."

Dependable

By on Sunday, March 01, 2009

"A vehicle to get you from point A to point B, even in inclimate weather. Not comfortable, and drives like a tractor. But if your a person who's primary concern in a vehicle is the basic function of reliable transportation no matter the weather: This is the truck for you!"

Kicks Butt

By on Saturday, July 12, 2014

Pros: "fun...reliable...a beast in snow or off road"

Cons: "drinks gas"

"I bought my first 2001 Cherokee new and drove it for 12 years...then went out and found another after the first finally died with 250K miles on it. These vehicles are very very reliable and the absolute BEST in the winter. In the summer I drive my current beast all over the farm and hasnt gotten stuck once. Only drawback? Low gas mileage. But small price to pay for the rest."

Has been a good, reliable friend for 15 years.

By on Sunday, November 25, 2012

Pros: "Reliability, value, convenience"

Cons: "Getting into the back seat for passengers"

Bought to haul big dogs. Now hauls an ankle biter.

"As a single woman, I need a reliable vehicle that I can trust to get me home, even on snowy roads. Big Red has been extremely reliable and a great value. I've kept it maintained and don't treat it badly, so it looks & runs like it's brand new. I had sports cars before so I have never been bothered by the somewhat stiff ride. I've never kept a car this long but since the design changed on the new Jeeps (which I don't like), I plan to keep it because it's so handy to have when one has just one vehicle. Besides by now, it would be emotional to get rid of such a loyal friend."

Bought to haul big dogs. Now hauls an ankle biter.

Most reliable vehicle that I have ever owned

By on Friday, June 15, 2012

Pros: "great handling.. i live in the desert of AZ...perf"

Cons: "speakers got scratchy after awhile"

"I am the original owner, 195,000 miles later it is running very strong. Minimal repair or problems. Replaced clutch at 130k. other than tires and regular oil changes, no problems. I just bought a new Jeep Grand Cherokee/ overlander..love that too. I guess Jeep just became part of me"

Best Car Ever just remember...

By on Friday, September 11, 2009

"That the engine will go forever but the rest of the car is NOT CHEAP to maintain. I bought my Cherokee Sport brand new in 1999 and I am closiing in on the 250k mile mark. It has been garaged its whole life and shows it. It was WELL WORTH the money and I love driving it. So what have I had to do of a major nature to keep it on the road this long? New fuel pump @60k,new heater core@190k,engine head cracked@205k ($1200 repair), I'm on my third starter,third thermostat and third radiator,new window regulator and $400 worth of front end work. No rust and a great 4 wheel drive in the snow. Oh yes, and it rides like a truck but I still love it. It's a tank but I would caution people not to overpay for used ones that have not been garaged and maintained because even tanks can put you in the poorhouse when things have been neglected. Make sure you get a complete maintenance history and try to buy a one or two owner vehicle."

By on Tuesday, August 04, 2009

"Bought a 99 XJ. 205,000 miles later, replacing only the clutch and a wheel barring, my jeep still starts every day. Great car. The usual replacements: breaks, tires, oil. Nothing can stop this Jeep. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I do have a honda for a gas saver with my high millage commute when gas went through the roof, but I still drive my jeep every day. Inline 6 was the best engine ever built. Can take anything you throw at it. It is almost like a work tool. I use it for everything: towing, 4x4, pulling bushes out, tailgating. LOVE IT"

SHE HAS NEVER DONE ME WRONG

By on Saturday, August 01, 2009

"I GOT THIS JEEP WHEN IT WAS TWO YEARS OLD. IT WAS PRIOR OWNED BY ONE PERSON. I HAVE HAD IT FOR 9 YEARS. IT HAS BEEN THROUGH TWO MINOR COLLISIONS AND ONE MAJOR COLLISION ($6200). THAT BIG CRASH REQUIRED THE FRAME TO BE STRAIGHTENED. I HAVE DRIVEN IT FOR OVER 8 YEARS SINCE THAT WRECK, MOSTLY ON ROAD, BUT SOME MINOR OFF ROAD. YOU WOULD NEVER KNOW IT HAD BEEN BENT. IT HAS BEEN ABSOLUTELY RELIABLE WITH STANDARD MAINTENANCE AND A NEW EXHAUST SYSTEM BEING ITS ONLY EXPENSES. I HAVE NOTICED SOME ELECTRICAL ISSUES, MOSTLY RELATED TO COLD WEATHER. THE REAR WINDOW WIPER NO LONGER WORKS. I HAD CONSIDERED GETTING RID OF IT FOR SOMETHING NEWER, BUT I CAN'T SEE THE SENSE IN THROWING AWAY SOMETHING THAT COSTS ME ALMOST NOTHING TO MAINTAIN, HAS NO CAR PAYMENTS, AND IS AS TRUSTWORTHY AS THIS. WHAT AN EXCELLENT VEHICLE!"

A wonderful all purpose vehicle

By on Saturday, July 18, 2009

"If you're thinking of a Cherokee, go for it. The front seats are comfortable, the engine is powerful, the suspension will enable you to carry anything that fits into its cavernous box-like interior. The ride is a little rough when the roads are bumpy but it's fine on smooth roads. I bought my 2000 in 2002 as it came off lease and still own it. My wife drives it and loves it. We will probably own it forever. It also is our "dogmobile" and is perfect for a large dog with the rear seat folded down. Rear windows go down all the way, so he can stick his head out and I don't have to worry about him banging the edge of the glass. The 4 wheel drive will get you anywhere in snow. Gas mileage is what you'd expect (about 20 hiway) so don't buy it as a commuter. It's a great all around vehicle."

Very dependable

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2008

"I've left it out in freezing weather all week and it would start right up. The ride can be rough at higher expressway speeds. Some minor problems with the electronic mirror control and the speaker on the passenger side but the car is over 7 years old now."

30 years of Jeeps

By on Tuesday, January 08, 2008

"I have had them all, this year Cherokee or years close to it were in my opinion the best jeep ever made. I have owned all of them and have also owned other SUV but this one it both a true off road vehicle, great family hauler, third one I have owned and driven well over 200k, even with the lift kit and big tires I still get 20mpg while towing my boat. Worse mistake Daimler Chrysler ever made was discontinuing this model"

a workhorse

By on Wednesday, December 19, 2007

"this is a real workhorse' no problems-always ready to go recommend this to everyone great car a teenager/college kid gas mileage is better than expected"

very good suv,small,parks easy

By on Saturday, August 17, 2013

Pros: "starts up every time,gets 26mpg on highway,"

Cons: "back seat area is small,hard to get in"

"great vehicle,as im a dodge tech its a mopar,6cly.great engine,has asian trans,should last 3-4 hundred thousand miles,ice cold air,has custom camoflage head liner,overhead console and visors,howeer im read for a grand cherokee,im big person,cant seem to find a buyer,,,"

hade it for 15 years not a problom

By on Friday, April 26, 2013

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "not the best mpg 15/20"

"amazing quality 15 years not one problom and mpg is 15/20 outstanding better than the land rover rang rover"