1999 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 847 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

THE MOST DRUABLE VEHICLE I HAVE OWNED

By on Sunday, July 29, 2007

"In 2001 I traded in my '96 Grand Cherokee Limited for this 2001 Cherokee Sport, ..new. The Grand Cherokee Limited AWD Drive train was not satisfactory for my need for a selective differential; so the part time 4WD in the Cherokee was more suitable to my rough service needs. 170,000 miles later, three sets of tires, three sets of brake pads (the original rear shoes lasted 165,000 miles), 34 synthetic oil changes @ 6qts each, one trans/fluid change, one battery, one radiator flush, 12 wiper blade replacements; here I am.... I average 23/24 mpg at highway speeds, 15/16 in city. I recently tried to replace it with a new SUV; but there was nothing on the new vehicle market (not even Jeep) that would come close to replacing it. I have decided to keep this vehicle and see how long it will continue to serve my needs. I intend to invest the money I would have spent on new car payments on a new satellite radio system, and gasoline at $3.25/gal."

'89 with 257k and going strong

By on Saturday, February 13, 2010

"Bought my '89 Laredo 4x4 new. Still my daily driver. Have newer toys, but they break. I always end up back in the Cherokee. Routine maintenance and new parts have averaged $57 per year over the last 21 years. It's never left me stranded. Rear end went out once in the mountains. Pulled the rear drive shaft, duct taped the transfer case hole, drove home as a front wheel drive. Hardest repair: Slave cylinder on the clutch took 2.5 hours. They made millions of these, so everything that wears out is in stock at the local auto parts store, and the parts are inexpensive. Only valid complaint is that the interior plastic stuff is breaking due to old age. Probably will be buried in this thing."

Best car I ever owned.

By on Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Pros: "Solid built engine, transmission, 4 wheel drive."

Cons: "Week factory rear springs"

"I bought this Jeep after doing some research on my own. I knew the history on the car. The 4.0L I6 is one of the reliable engines every made! I own a rare 5 speed manual that is built strong but I know the automatic is just as reliable. I would recommend this Jeep to first time young drivers, or the weekend warrior."

Nothing better

By on Sunday, June 24, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, reliable, lasts forever"

Cons: "low gas mileage, rides a bit rough"

"This vehicle has been in my family since we bought it new in 1997. I've been driving it for for 7 years and I love it. I've used it for hauling equipment, towing a boat, and moving across the country. It rides a little rougher than most, but it is incredibly reliable. I'd never trade it for anything else. I've put some money into the brake system and other parts, but it's worth it. The engine should take me a long way yet and I plan on driving her until she dies. Hands down one of the best vehicles still on the road after 15 years. It's worth the extra money spent on gas to know your car will take you where you need to go."

Best vehicle ever

By on Wednesday, August 05, 2009

"Great vehicle. I never had a major problem with my Cherokee. Engine has lasted for over 108,000 miles and is still running strong. Handling and 4-wheel drive excellent in snow and off-road. I would put money on the jeep to beat any truck off-road any day. I wish they were still manufactured. What will I do when she dies?"