1999 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 847 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

A wonderful all purpose vehicle

By on Saturday, July 18, 2009

"If you're thinking of a Cherokee, go for it. The front seats are comfortable, the engine is powerful, the suspension will enable you to carry anything that fits into its cavernous box-like interior. The ride is a little rough when the roads are bumpy but it's fine on smooth roads. I bought my 2000 in 2002 as it came off lease and still own it. My wife drives it and loves it. We will probably own it forever. It also is our "dogmobile" and is perfect for a large dog with the rear seat folded down. Rear windows go down all the way, so he can stick his head out and I don't have to worry about him banging the edge of the glass. The 4 wheel drive will get you anywhere in snow. Gas mileage is what you'd expect (about 20 hiway) so don't buy it as a commuter. It's a great all around vehicle."

Amazing Vehicle

By on Sunday, March 01, 2009

"This 99 is my 2nd one. My 87 went over 350,000 without a second thought. Almost trouble free, and only minor issues, (sensors, A/C compressor, things like that) but what can I expect for 350,000 miles. I used it, abused it, neglected it, and put it through things that would destroy the best of them. After I sold it to a friend, it got passed around his family for about another 5 years. It did hit 500,000 before I lost track of it. Even at that point, not even the valve cover was removed. That 4.0 is amazing. I have 84,000 on my 99 now, and it has never let me down, never stranded, always starts right up, even in -30 degree weather. I had to put a fuel pump in it, due to a short span of hard starting, But I expect at least that. What a fantastic truck. A little tight for front legroom, but changing the seat tracks to power helped a ton. If it got totalled today, I would replace it with another exactly like it. There will probably be one in my driveway till the day I die."

Dependable

By on Sunday, March 01, 2009

"A vehicle to get you from point A to point B, even in inclimate weather. Not comfortable, and drives like a tractor. But if your a person who's primary concern in a vehicle is the basic function of reliable transportation no matter the weather: This is the truck for you!"

Kicks Butt

By on Saturday, July 12, 2014

Pros: "fun...reliable...a beast in snow or off road"

Cons: "drinks gas"

"I bought my first 2001 Cherokee new and drove it for 12 years...then went out and found another after the first finally died with 250K miles on it. These vehicles are very very reliable and the absolute BEST in the winter. In the summer I drive my current beast all over the farm and hasnt gotten stuck once. Only drawback? Low gas mileage. But small price to pay for the rest."

Has been a good, reliable friend for 15 years.

By on Sunday, November 25, 2012

Pros: "Reliability, value, convenience"

Cons: "Getting into the back seat for passengers"

Bought to haul big dogs. Now hauls an ankle biter.

"As a single woman, I need a reliable vehicle that I can trust to get me home, even on snowy roads. Big Red has been extremely reliable and a great value. I've kept it maintained and don't treat it badly, so it looks & runs like it's brand new. I had sports cars before so I have never been bothered by the somewhat stiff ride. I've never kept a car this long but since the design changed on the new Jeeps (which I don't like), I plan to keep it because it's so handy to have when one has just one vehicle. Besides by now, it would be emotional to get rid of such a loyal friend."

Bought to haul big dogs. Now hauls an ankle biter.