1997 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 855 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Very solid SUV

By on Thursday, August 9, 2007

"I've had my Cherokee for almost six years now (I bought it used with about 35,000 miles), and I've driven it across the country no less than six times--two of those times I was towning a U-haul trailer. It has over 120,000 miles on it now, and I've never had a problem with it on the road. There have been some minor repairs (brake rotors, fuses, wipers, and speakers), but nothing significant to to make me shy away from buying another Jeep some day. The only complaint I have is the comfort of the front and rear seats. The front have no lumbar support, and the rear seats have no head rests. All in all, my Cherokee has served me very well, and I could not be happier with what I have gotten out of it these last six years."

Great Value

By on Wednesday, August 8, 2007

"This is about as basic an SUV as you can get. It is essentially a box on a truck chassis. The ride is relatively noisy, without much insulation from the road. There is plenty of glass area, making it easy to see out of while driving. The square design, with clearly defined corners, enables the vehicle to be maneuvered with surprising precision. The engine is extremely reliable, the transmission slightly less so. With regular maintenance it should not be difficult to put 200-250k miles on the truck before encountering significant problems. I have just purchased my 2nd Cherokee- this one is for my daughter- which should give an indication of how I feel about the Cherokee. From 1996-2003 I put 115k a '94 model. Other than a water pump, radiator and an AC compressor, it was reliable and trouble free. Maintenance items during that time included oil changes every 3kmiles, transmission services and tune ups every 30k miles, new serpentine belt at 60k miles. The rear cargo area is easy to access but there were times I wished from more space. The back seat is neither roomy, nor comfortable for long periods. Overall the Cherokee is an excellent value for anyone looking for basic, reliable transportation."

By on Thursday, August 2, 2007

reliable

By on Wednesday, August 1, 2007

"My a/c evaporater has a leak, which costs an estimated $1100 to fix. Apparently it is common repair item with jeeps. Other than that, this is a very reliable vehicle with good handling and is generally fun to drive. I wish Jeep still made the cheerokee; what a bad move to discontinue the line."

2000 Jeep Cherokee

By on Monday, July 30, 2007

"Great car - solid and dependable, like the way it sits up tall and easy to get in and out of .. back seat very cramped and small for adults, great for small children."