1997 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 847 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Legendary Vehicle!!!!

By on Sunday, December 16, 2007

"Overall best Jeep of the 2001 vehicles. No other suv came close to competing with the 2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic."

Great buy

By on Thursday, December 06, 2007

"I bought my jeep new in summer of 1998 and have put 221984 miles as of 12-1-2007. I have had very few problems that would be expected for a vehicle with this many miles. It is not the roomest suv on the road but I am still getting around 21 miles mpg. This motor is one of the best evermade and it is a shame that the new jeeps do not come with the 4.0."

I Hate Jeep!!!

By on Tuesday, November 13, 2007

"I can't believe they discontinued the Jeep Cherokee. I would buy another one again and again for the rest of my life if they were available. This has been the best vehicle I've ever owned and I've owned quite a few. 161000 miles in 7 years without any problems. I just need a little more cargo space now so have to upgrade."

All Time Best SUV

By on Thursday, October 11, 2007

"Bought a 1999 used at great bargain price of $8000 in 2001. After intensive research on a reliable, low maintenance 4x4, the Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 was the top choice. It has never had any major problems, just minor normal maintenance. When something needed fixing, parts were cheap and plentiful. And you can do all the repairs yourself, since there's tons of room under the hood. You don't even need to raise the Cherokee to slide under it, since it has a healthy ground clearance. Great in all weather, even the most foul blizzards! A real winner as far as a basic do-it-all runabout, cargo hauler, and off-roader. It's compact size makes it the perfect city car too! I parallel parked the Cherokee in the smallest parking spaces in Chicago; believe me, I've not had a single problem finding street parking in the Wrigleyville area where I live."

Can't beat the 4 wheel drive

By on Tuesday, October 09, 2007

"Extremely reliable!! About the best 4 wheel drive made. Has just about the same tow rating as a truck. The I6 4.0L 242ci motor already has a good reputation for being a long lasting motor. Plenty of power faster than most all trucks in accel. Beats all trucks in top end. Tops out at 120ish not a lot of power up there though. This vehicle also has a transmission that Toyota made for them along with a Toyota like front end and telescope drive shafts. Also comes stock with better lockers than any truck I know of. I get low 20's mpg on highway. I love my Jeep."

Best value

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2007

"My 2nd Cherokee- first was an 88 Wagoneer LTD. Which I should have kept. Bought this 98 Sport used in 00 w/ 26K mi., and now have 180,000+ on it and it runs as strong as ever- maybe better. Did have to replace the rotors like everyone it seems, but very strong maintenance record otherwise. Needs a split rear seat, but still very functional and versatile. Towing and offroading no problem. Look for the full time/part time tranny feature if you can find it- great for mixed road conditions (like an AWD system). Do yourself a favor and spend $60 for a K&N high flow air filter- improves throttle response, horsepower and mileage. Also added a stiffer rear leaf spring to keep rear from sagging when loaded- about $150 very well spent. Simply awesome vehicle for the money. Not fancy- but she runs and runs and runs...."

Sweet all-arounder

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"One of the best vehicles I've ever owned. It's nothing super fancy styling wise (but classic), but it does everyting well. Small enough to manuver in the city easily, and more off-road worthy than the new bling-bling SUV's of late. With a $100 aftermarket air intake my power went up a few ponies and MPG went from 18mpg hwy to 22mpg hwy (with a bike rack on top). Plenty of room and yet not too big. Great all around vehicle, Highly recommended."

By on Friday, July 06, 2007

"I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH MY 2001 JEEP CHEROKEE. IT WAS RELAIBLE AND NEVER BROKE DOWN, EVEN WITH 140,000 MILES ON IT. IT EVEN SAVED MY LIFE IN A RECENT MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENT. THIS IS A STURDY, RELIABLE CAR AND WOULD RECOMMEND THIS CAR."

16 years and still going

By on Thursday, June 12, 2014

"Love my Jeep! Reliable, fun, classic Jeep look. Original alternator finally quit in year 14 of ownership. At this stage, requires some TLC, but has some years left if you have a good mechanic to help. Not great on fuel, but engine still going strong."

Awesome vehicle

By on Friday, April 11, 2014

Pros: "Extremely reliable and off-road capable stock"

"This is my second Jeep and I love it! They are extreamly reliable, good on gas, have lots of space for transporting people or things, and just awesome in general."

I will miss her

By on Sunday, February 02, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, great clearance, tough as I am,"

Cons: "Grieving my loss can't think of any cons"

Not a scratch on me

"I was looking for something that would get me off the ground so I could see over weeds at intersection but not so high I would have trouble getting in. She was perfect, though only rear wheel drive she did great in most conditions. Only tricky thing was traction while up hill if no momentum. Today I hit a patch of us while accelerating up hill and I fish tailed, wobbled and eventually hit the ditch that sent me end over end. What remains of my girl looks like major injuries should have occurred...nothing. The back end is in the back seat the hood crunched but the cab is fine and so am I. I had planned on keeping her forever. I was comfortable driving her at only 5' and was able to see, my 5'9" husband was also comfortable and not squished in."

Not a scratch on me

I love my jeep!

By on Sunday, August 04, 2013

Pros: "dependability"

Cons: "low gas mieage"

"Purchased it in 2010 with 204,000 miles on it for $1900. It has been the most reliable and dependable car that I have ever owned. The interior is all intact, nothing falling off or broken. The engine is sound and strong ( full synthetic oil ) is well worth the extra expense. This car still looks like new and runs like new too. I will reach 300,000 miles by the end of the year and will be driving it till it drops. if that's even possible."

Loved It

By on Monday, May 20, 2013

Pros: "Very Reliable"

Cons: "Gas Mileage, AC issues"

"I purchased my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport used in 2003 with 36k miles (it was a lease). I drove approximately 50 miles a day 7 days a week for 7 years (mostly highway driving), for the last 2 years I've been city driving about 10 miles a day 5 days a week. Other than normal oil changes, brakes, etc. It gets on average 17-18 mpg combined hwy/city when in 4x4 mode it gets 12-13 mpg. FYI, owners manual says to use mid grade 89 gas in it and I always have, but that is a little more expensive these days as well. The only problems I have had with this are the air conditioner never worked right even after replacing all components (which I understand is a common problem in these). My dad put the wrong kind of antifreeze in it once and gunked up the system so I've had to replace the radiator twice, but that is not really Jeep's fault. A screw fell out of my steering wheel once which left it undrivable and the tow truck driver not believeing me (it was new years eve and I think he thought I was an idiot or drunk) proceeded to spin my wheel the whole way around breaking the thing that deploys the airbag (it was like a $300 dollar part). I was rear ended by a full size pick up truck going about 40 mph when I was stopped and the rear hatch, floor, and bumper needed to be replaced but I was uninjured, these things are like tanks. I take very very good care of my cars regular maintainence, replacing parts at the suggested time (before the break, you get the idea), it now has 168k miles on it and just started leaking oil from the rear seal (which means removing the transmission) and a little bit of transmission fluid. I wish they still made these because I would buy another one in a heartbeat I loved this car, but it is now time to part with it, and seeing as how I no longer need a 4x4 I'm downsizing for better gas mileage. and like I said other than the AC haven't really had any major issues. There have been 1 or 2 other minor issues I can't remember what, but I think that is to be expected with any older used car with higher miles."

Most reliable vehicle ever owned

By on Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Pros: "reliability/versatility/dependability/design"

Cons: "way too many plastic parts"

"This Jeep is the best, by far, of any vehicle I ever owned! When I get ready to 'let her go,' I WILL be getting another Jeep!"

Own one, Just bought another

By on Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Pros: "Amazingly easy driver, Great power, Cheap Fixes"

Cons: "Really non unless you need adult space in rearseat"

"I own a 1991 Cherokee Sport with 240,000 miles bought it used 6 years ago with 176,000 for $1000 and have not but put more than $500 in this Jeep and that includes, Tires, Battery, Starter and Brakes. The very best car I have ever bought, So much so my wife and I where set on finding another one to add to our stable. We just bought a 2001 60th Anniversary Cherokee 4x4, auto with 109,000 miles we thought nothing of it but what a great deal, since they are discontinued now and this was the last year for them we could not pass it up. I would tell anyone to buy one if you can find them, they are everybit worth more than the blue book tells. The only car I would pay over bluebook for. NOT THAT I DID -- :)"

I love my Cherokee

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "4x4,great handeling,power"

Cons: "wind kills gas miliage"

"I have owned Jeeps for years and have always gone for the CJ's..Then one day i saw my Cherokee sitting on a used car lot and fell in love..It was gloss black and very clean!! I bought it on the spot and drove it stock for about 8months..Then i lifted it 3" and drove it for 6months..Now i'm at 6" with 33" tires and it rides like it day i bought it..I've had to replace a few parts here and there but nothing too major and trust me i take it everywhere..on and off road..This vehicle will not fail you on or off road trust me,it's built like a tank and has alotta power..Plus it has the 4.0 inline 6 that is amazing in all conditions..Heck it's even pretty good on gas,and i drive 54miles one way to work everyday so it sees alotta hiway time..I would recomend this vehicle to anyone,especially if your a parent with a teen about to drive..Like i said theyre built like a tank : )"

Tough little jeep

By on Saturday, December 31, 2011

Pros: "Reliable"

Cons: "Rough ride and engine not smooth"

"I bought my Jeep in 1998 and have put almost 200K miles on it. It is a 4.0l Automatic. This is not a smooth running vehicle, but it's just tough. The engine, transmission and driveline are solid from end to end. I have replaced the AC compressor, Fuel pump, distributor, headliner and normal wear items. There are some common defects in this model that you should look for. - Window regulators go bad often. - Driving light switch was designed badley and stops workng (melts internaly) - Tranmission Neutral saftey switch (back up lights stop working). Expensive part but orginal one can be removed and cleaned. Routine maintenance on this vehicle (most jeeps) is required more then most others. If you find one that has been well maintained, it's probably worth the money."

One of my all-time favorite vehicles

By on Friday, December 16, 2011

Pros: "RELIABLE, great offroad/in snow, FUN TO DRIVE!"

Cons: "seat adjustment, interior space, insurance"

"2000 Cherokee Classic, AT, black, selectrac 4WD, overhead trip computer I am on my 3rd Cherokee and if it was possible to have a post-graduate degree in Cherokees, I would have it. When I was younger this was my dream car, as unusual as it may be, and I will never be without one now. Positives: 4.0 I6 is nearly perfect. Incredibly reliable, great torque, good power, surprising fuel economy. I love the 97-01 body style. Rugged but not outdated looking. Like the Wrangler, it has a classic look that will always look good. I get 22-23mpg highway and 18 city, better than many comparable SUVs 10 years newer. For something as aerodynamic as a school bus, 23 is great. I have had 3 of these and have never been left stranded. They are fairly easy to work on too. Excellent offroad abilities stock and cheap to build into a serious offroader. RWD when it is in 2WD makes it much better to drive than other SUVs. Surprisingly comfortable ride. PHENOMENAL visibility in all directions. Too easy to drive! Will bury the needle and do about 130mph on GPS, and feels stable the whole time. Quite impressive for a box on wheels. There's something about driving this that makes you feel unstoppable. It look great muddy, and doesn't mind the occasional stream crossing or deep snow. It just feels solid and bulletproof to me. Negatives: No door pockets, small glove box, no rear cup holders. Front seats do not recline very far or move back far enough. Full sized spare tire takes up a lot of cargo room. Cheap interior plastics (but it's a rugged vehicle, not a luxury vehicle). Speaker wires are prone to failure in all models, so the front speakers quit working. Not that expensive to fix and you should only have to replace them once. The gas mileage will suffer majorly in 4WD. Some cars like the RAV4 get great MPG all the time, but in 4WD I only get about 14 city 17 highway. Rear drum brakes makes braking feel heavy and inadequate, but when you really put your foot down it stops perfectly. I recommend upgrading to rear discs from a Grand Cherokee. Overall: With the right options (selec-trac 4WD and overhead trip computer) this is car is a keeper. I have seen them with over 300k. I plan on driving it forever. I can't believe Jeep dropped this for the Liberty. Almost everything (except the Wrangler and MAYBE Grand Cherokee) that rolled off the line after 2001 has been garbage. They are Chryslers now not real Jeeps. There will always be an XJ in my garage though. PS I towed a nearly 4000lb trailer over 1100 miles with this. I had no trailer brakes and my Jeep pulled it wonderfully the whole way, although it did only average 12mpg towing."

Not bad at all

By on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

"With regular maintenance and up keep this is a great vehicle that can get you almost anywhere.. I read some reviews on it that were bad b/c baught used and need everything replaced.. "News Flash" check maintenance records when buying used.. if nothing was done then you will have to do it all! Good Solid Vehicle!"

overall... I love it

By on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pros: "spacious, durable, functional, Fun, reliable...etc"

Cons: "15-19 mpg"

"I've noticed a few "bad" revues for xj's on here but the bottom line is that with any car you take care of, it'll take care of you. My 97 xj has a lot of miles on it and was a bit neglected when I purchased it but I have revived her to be a great daily driver and a fun trail horse on the weekends. The only things I really needed to fix were general maintenance and problems due to "D.P.O." (dumb previous owner) As for the I6 engine, auto trans and selec-trac transfer case everything operates excellent. This jeep is not exactly babied either... even with the 3" lift and power adding bolt-ons it is an extremely quite and comfortable ride, brutaly effective on trails and reliable enough for anyone with general mechanical knowledge to maintain yourself. Simple yet functional design! I love my XJ!"

One tough truck

By on Friday, November 04, 2011

Pros: "great power, true off-road prowess"

Cons: "none in my book"

"Between my wife and myself, this is my third Cherokee. I have not a single complaint about any of them. I am absolutely in love with my Cherokee, and because it only has 180,000 miles on it, I plan on keeping it for awhile. Still no oil leaks, besides a little around the valve cover gasket. The venerable 4.0 is one of the best engines ever made. For the size of the vehicle, there is more than enough power. The Cherokee is a true off-road vehicle, capable of a lot more than most people would expect. I drove this vehicle through 3 feet of water last spring (yes, stupid, but I didn't realize it had gotten so deep until I was halfway through) and it did great. I was worried once the water was halfway up the doors (and close to the headlights and dangerously close to the air intake), but somehow this Jeep just kept on driving with absolutely no problems. This thing WILL get you where you need to go. Yes, the interior is somewhat bare, but this is a true SUV, emphasis on "utility". The back seat isn't huge, but then again I don't have to ride back there! Easy to get a car seat in and out of, plenty of space in the back for such a small vehicle. It isn't bad on gas, given that it's a truck, and it is pretty comfortable on the inside for long trips. I'm about 5'11", 225lbs, and I have plenty of space. It's not a Suburban, so don't expect it to be huge inside, but it will do anything you want it to. Not one of my Jeeps has ever let me down, and I will probably never get rid of it."

I love my Jeep!

By on Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pros: "very versatile. Great for anyone!"

Cons: "can't think of any!"

"I have owned my jeep for several years now and I have no complaints at all. It has been great for our family and we have been hard on it. I, a mother of 3, have hauled kids everywhere in this beast. AND it hauls great! Pulls a 2 horse bp trailer or bass boat with no trouble! Sadly, someone pulled out in front of my husband and he hit them at 55 mph with two kids in the car and no one was hurt! Thank God! (and my jeep) but I am pretty sure insurance won't be able to replace what that Jeep has meant to us!"

Best money we ever spent!

By on Monday, August 22, 2011

Pros: "great cargo space, 4w drive, good gas mileage"

Cons: "smaller passenger doors"

"I own a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport. We have had no engine trouble. The jeep has no rust. This has been a great family vehicle for us. We love the 4w drive. I would recommend a jeep to everyone."

Buying tips

By on Monday, November 02, 2009

"Get a normal Cherokee (not the Grand) with an automatic transmission and a 6-cylinder engine. That's the bulletproof combo, and you'll have less trouble with it than other Jeeps. This is a great vehicle if you want a reliable 4x4 on the cheap. It's pretty reliable and in the event you need to fix something, it tends to be cheap to buy or repair. Be prepared to work on little things, and replace a water pump fairly often (it's cheap, though). Also, be aware of your 4x4 options - some have a 4hi/4lo and others have 4part time/fulltime/lo. Either will work, although the hi/lo system (CommandTrac) can ONLY be used when conditions are so bad that the tires can spin freely. It's never to be used on dry pavement. The fulltime system (SelecTrac) can be used at all times if you wish... the added "fulltime" mode is like all wheel drive. It's harder to find, though."

great buy

By on Monday, September 07, 2009

"i have owned my cherokee since 100k and am now pushing 165k aside from regular maitnence this jeep has never let me down, not once. it so far has gone anywhere that any of my friends wranglers have gone and it has never gotten stuck no matter how intense the situation got... it is an amazing running vehicle and will last forever mine still runs like it has 20k miles on it. id suggest it to anybody... unless you are more than 6foot 2ish(there isnt much move in the drivers seat) though perfect for me im 5 11"