1997 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 847 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

THE MOST DRUABLE VEHICLE I HAVE OWNED

By on Sunday, July 29, 2007

"In 2001 I traded in my '96 Grand Cherokee Limited for this 2001 Cherokee Sport, ..new. The Grand Cherokee Limited AWD Drive train was not satisfactory for my need for a selective differential; so the part time 4WD in the Cherokee was more suitable to my rough service needs. 170,000 miles later, three sets of tires, three sets of brake pads (the original rear shoes lasted 165,000 miles), 34 synthetic oil changes @ 6qts each, one trans/fluid change, one battery, one radiator flush, 12 wiper blade replacements; here I am.... I average 23/24 mpg at highway speeds, 15/16 in city. I recently tried to replace it with a new SUV; but there was nothing on the new vehicle market (not even Jeep) that would come close to replacing it. I have decided to keep this vehicle and see how long it will continue to serve my needs. I intend to invest the money I would have spent on new car payments on a new satellite radio system, and gasoline at $3.25/gal."

'89 with 257k and going strong

By on Saturday, February 13, 2010

"Bought my '89 Laredo 4x4 new. Still my daily driver. Have newer toys, but they break. I always end up back in the Cherokee. Routine maintenance and new parts have averaged $57 per year over the last 21 years. It's never left me stranded. Rear end went out once in the mountains. Pulled the rear drive shaft, duct taped the transfer case hole, drove home as a front wheel drive. Hardest repair: Slave cylinder on the clutch took 2.5 hours. They made millions of these, so everything that wears out is in stock at the local auto parts store, and the parts are inexpensive. Only valid complaint is that the interior plastic stuff is breaking due to old age. Probably will be buried in this thing."

Best car I ever owned.

By on Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Pros: "Solid built engine, transmission, 4 wheel drive."

Cons: "Week factory rear springs"

"I bought this Jeep after doing some research on my own. I knew the history on the car. The 4.0L I6 is one of the reliable engines every made! I own a rare 5 speed manual that is built strong but I know the automatic is just as reliable. I would recommend this Jeep to first time young drivers, or the weekend warrior."

Nothing better

By on Sunday, June 24, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, reliable, lasts forever"

Cons: "low gas mileage, rides a bit rough"

"This vehicle has been in my family since we bought it new in 1997. I've been driving it for for 7 years and I love it. I've used it for hauling equipment, towing a boat, and moving across the country. It rides a little rougher than most, but it is incredibly reliable. I'd never trade it for anything else. I've put some money into the brake system and other parts, but it's worth it. The engine should take me a long way yet and I plan on driving her until she dies. Hands down one of the best vehicles still on the road after 15 years. It's worth the extra money spent on gas to know your car will take you where you need to go."

Best vehicle ever

By on Wednesday, August 05, 2009

"Great vehicle. I never had a major problem with my Cherokee. Engine has lasted for over 108,000 miles and is still running strong. Handling and 4-wheel drive excellent in snow and off-road. I would put money on the jeep to beat any truck off-road any day. I wish they were still manufactured. What will I do when she dies?"

Great Vehicle

By on Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Pros: "Great all around vehicle. Super in the snow"

Cons: "Could use a bit more leg room on the clutch side"

"Too bad they discontinued this vehicle. It's probably one of the best models Jeep ever made. The engine is terrific. I bought it used with 62,000 mile. After owning it for over 13 yrs, I now have 192,000 mile. It'll last forever."

Best 4x4 ever!

By on Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Reason: Accident, sold for parts.

Pros: "Fun, never stuck, roomy"

Cons: "Gas mileage, rust"

"I bought my '98 Sport, 4.0L, 5-Speed in '00, it was a lease turn-in. My dad had a '90 until he traded that in on a '99 that he still owns. I loved my Cherokee, except for the inevitable rocker panel rust (consequence of Upstate NY winters). Only major repairs were radiator, heater core, clutch, and leaf springs. As long as you do proper maintenance these things will run forever. Tons of modifications are available. 200,000+ miles and it still runs like new, too bad the unibody got bent after losing it on black ice."

Jeep Cherokee - Looks like a $65,000 Range Rover

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pros: "it's a Jeep! Go anywhere, reliable, retro-styling"

Cons: "Not a gas sipper, but if I try, can almost be!"

"My 2001 Jeep Cherokee is a limited Edition, complete with leather seats and all the bells and whistles they had in 2001. Has a CD player and a cassette player (remember those?). This vehicle never fails to start, and it had tremendous torque. It can go anywhere and it's comfortable to boot. It's also distinctive looking. Yes, it's boxey, but that's part of the appeal (Range Rover liked the look apparently). It can get 23 mpg if I try, or 18 if I don't. This engine is cast iron with 7 main bearings. It will easily run to 300,000. At a stop light, this baby can really go, having a 4.0 Litre engine V-6, and it's relatively light. So, go Jeeping. If you can find one in great condition, don't hesitate."

The Last of the Real Jeeps

By on Monday, June 18, 2012

Pros: "economical (other than gas), uncomplicated,"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"This is my 2nd Cherokee. I owned a '92 and now this '01. A few other cars I had in between just didn't live up to the value of the Cherokee. With a Jeep you know what you got and you know what you don't got. Simple and straightforward. Little fluff and a lot of tough stuff. There is no replacement in the current Jeep line up that takes the place of the Cherokee. A great vehicle that Detroit (Toledo) produced for many years that was a jewel they didn't truly realized."

Can't go wrong with a Cherokee

By on Saturday, December 06, 2008

"I love the Jeep Cherokee, I can't believe Chrysler decided to replace them with the sad Liberty. I have owned three cherokee's and currently have two. One of them is the first vehical I have ever bought and is now my street legal offroad toy, it is a 87, 4.0, 5 speed. They do amazing and you can fit 4 people comfortably in them. Just drove 1,000 miles one way to Moab Utah in it last month, wheeled for 4 days on 35inch tires, then drove another 1,000 miles home. My other is my daily driver, it is a 2000 Limited, 4x4, automatic, with 275,000 miles on it. It is still in perfect running condition, the only non-maintance part replaced ever was the A/C compressor. Pretty impresive for a vehical with this many miles. I don't baby it either, we took a 100 mile trip to the sand dunes last weekend and I got 21mpg highway with it. I will always own one, very solid, reliable, comfortable, rugged, powerfull vehicals. The visibilty in them is great to and they are still simple to fix if needed!"