1997 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 847 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

Most reliable vehicle that I have ever owned

By on Friday, June 15, 2012

Pros: "great handling.. i live in the desert of AZ...perf"

Cons: "speakers got scratchy after awhile"

"I am the original owner, 195,000 miles later it is running very strong. Minimal repair or problems. Replaced clutch at 130k. other than tires and regular oil changes, no problems. I just bought a new Jeep Grand Cherokee/ overlander..love that too. I guess Jeep just became part of me"

Best Car Ever just remember...

By on Friday, September 11, 2009

"That the engine will go forever but the rest of the car is NOT CHEAP to maintain. I bought my Cherokee Sport brand new in 1999 and I am closiing in on the 250k mile mark. It has been garaged its whole life and shows it. It was WELL WORTH the money and I love driving it. So what have I had to do of a major nature to keep it on the road this long? New fuel pump @60k,new heater core@190k,engine head cracked@205k ($1200 repair), I'm on my third starter,third thermostat and third radiator,new window regulator and $400 worth of front end work. No rust and a great 4 wheel drive in the snow. Oh yes, and it rides like a truck but I still love it. It's a tank but I would caution people not to overpay for used ones that have not been garaged and maintained because even tanks can put you in the poorhouse when things have been neglected. Make sure you get a complete maintenance history and try to buy a one or two owner vehicle."

By on Tuesday, August 04, 2009

"Bought a 99 XJ. 205,000 miles later, replacing only the clutch and a wheel barring, my jeep still starts every day. Great car. The usual replacements: breaks, tires, oil. Nothing can stop this Jeep. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I do have a honda for a gas saver with my high millage commute when gas went through the roof, but I still drive my jeep every day. Inline 6 was the best engine ever built. Can take anything you throw at it. It is almost like a work tool. I use it for everything: towing, 4x4, pulling bushes out, tailgating. LOVE IT"

Very dependable

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2008

"I've left it out in freezing weather all week and it would start right up. The ride can be rough at higher expressway speeds. Some minor problems with the electronic mirror control and the speaker on the passenger side but the car is over 7 years old now."

30 years of Jeeps

By on Tuesday, January 08, 2008

"I have had them all, this year Cherokee or years close to it were in my opinion the best jeep ever made. I have owned all of them and have also owned other SUV but this one it both a true off road vehicle, great family hauler, third one I have owned and driven well over 200k, even with the lift kit and big tires I still get 20mpg while towing my boat. Worse mistake Daimler Chrysler ever made was discontinuing this model"