1997 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 846 Ratings for the 1997 - 2001 models.

'89 with 257k and going strong

By on Saturday, February 13, 2010

"Bought my '89 Laredo 4x4 new. Still my daily driver. Have newer toys, but they break. I always end up back in the Cherokee. Routine maintenance and new parts have averaged $57 per year over the last 21 years. It's never left me stranded. Rear end went out once in the mountains. Pulled the rear drive shaft, duct taped the transfer case hole, drove home as a front wheel drive. Hardest repair: Slave cylinder on the clutch took 2.5 hours. They made millions of these, so everything that wears out is in stock at the local auto parts store, and the parts are inexpensive. Only valid complaint is that the interior plastic stuff is breaking due to old age. Probably will be buried in this thing."

Best car I ever owned.

By on Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Pros: "Solid built engine, transmission, 4 wheel drive."

Cons: "Week factory rear springs"

"I bought this Jeep after doing some research on my own. I knew the history on the car. The 4.0L I6 is one of the reliable engines every made! I own a rare 5 speed manual that is built strong but I know the automatic is just as reliable. I would recommend this Jeep to first time young drivers, or the weekend warrior."

Nothing better

By on Sunday, June 24, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, reliable, lasts forever"

Cons: "low gas mileage, rides a bit rough"

"This vehicle has been in my family since we bought it new in 1997. I've been driving it for for 7 years and I love it. I've used it for hauling equipment, towing a boat, and moving across the country. It rides a little rougher than most, but it is incredibly reliable. I'd never trade it for anything else. I've put some money into the brake system and other parts, but it's worth it. The engine should take me a long way yet and I plan on driving her until she dies. Hands down one of the best vehicles still on the road after 15 years. It's worth the extra money spent on gas to know your car will take you where you need to go."

Great Vehicle

By on Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Pros: "Great all around vehicle. Super in the snow"

Cons: "Could use a bit more leg room on the clutch side"

"Too bad they discontinued this vehicle. It's probably one of the best models Jeep ever made. The engine is terrific. I bought it used with 62,000 mile. After owning it for over 13 yrs, I now have 192,000 mile. It'll last forever."

The Last of the Real Jeeps

By on Monday, June 18, 2012

Pros: "economical (other than gas), uncomplicated,"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"This is my 2nd Cherokee. I owned a '92 and now this '01. A few other cars I had in between just didn't live up to the value of the Cherokee. With a Jeep you know what you got and you know what you don't got. Simple and straightforward. Little fluff and a lot of tough stuff. There is no replacement in the current Jeep line up that takes the place of the Cherokee. A great vehicle that Detroit (Toledo) produced for many years that was a jewel they didn't truly realized."