1996 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 579 Ratings for the 1992 - 1996 models.

Too good to give up

By on Monday, August 3, 2009

"I've been tempted to get rid of my 95 Cherokee with 166K on it thanks to the government's cash for clunkers program. I figure this is a good opportunity to get some money towards a fuel efficient, new vehicle. After test driving some new cars and SUVS, I've realized that my 4.0L Jeep runs stronger than the new 3.8L Jeep Wrangler, and will probably outlast it too! Why should I take on a new car payment when I already have the most reliable Jeep ever made?"

Solid SUV

By on Wednesday, September 17, 2008

"I have owned this SUV for 5 years now and it has performed great; from daliy driver, grocery getter, road triper, to off-roader. I bought it used so I had to replace a few minor parts and do a complete fluids change to have a correct starting point; other than that nothing. I will drive this until the doors fall off."

best investment I've made

By on Friday, March 14, 2008

"I drive a 96 Jeep that I bought used about 9 years ago and I love it to death. It has over 152k miles on it and I have had absolutely no problems at all since I've had it. I was debating buying a Camry or this at the time and I definitly made the right decision. You don't see any of the old camry's around, but you see a ton of these jeeps still running strong. I've seen alot of these Cherokees with WELL over 200,000 miles on it. I can't believe Jeep discontinued it. The new Jeeps just aren't the same"

the jeep that never died

By on Sunday, February 24, 2008

"i have my 95 cherokee for seven years.. ive driven it into cornfields, really just abuse the heck out of it. when my parents bought it brand new. i was 14, i fell in love with it as soon as i laid eyes on it. they finally coughed up the keys to me. at that point its been totaled out by the insurance company. so i sunk two grand into it. just to get the body straight. well it still drives like new with 275,000 miles on the motor. the only thing it has ever needed was a starter.. i love this thing still to this day and hope it never dies"

Best Vehicle ever

By on Sunday, October 21, 2007

"I bought this Jeep in april 07 and I love it. I got it at a auction and got it for $3700! It has 102000 miles on it and it was state owned. It goes everywhere. There is nothing to complain about it at all, Except a little gas mileage. 4x4 is wonderful, 4.0 L engine gets down and it'll go up some nasty stuff, or in the mountains."

Best Year is 1996!

By on Sunday, September 9, 2007

"I've owned this Jeep since 1998. I bought it from a lease. I got it with 20k miles and it now has almost 160k miles. I'm a single girl and it's taken me everywhere! I used it daily to commute, but it has taken me on tons of trips...it's gone off-road in Death Valley and the Saline Dessert! It's been to Burning Man. It's gone over the Sonora pass. It spends summers in Tahoe. It also does great in the snow up in the Sierras in winter. My dogs love it. I've slept in the back. It's been an awesome all-around vehicle. AND I think it looks good too; kind of country-club because when I've gone golfing there are always plenty of Cherokees parked in the lot at the country club. Best and most reliable car I've owned. My previous Jeep was a Wrangler and I was worried that it would be "too grown-up" for me, but it's better than my Wrangler...quieter, and more reliable, plus I feel safer in it. I love my 1996 Cherokee!! I've heard that 1997 and later Cherokees aren't as good as the 1996 and before, and it's a bummer that they don't make them anymore. But this Jeep has saved my life a number of times (been hit by other cars) and it is solid. Can't say enough good stuff."

My First Vehicle

By on Monday, August 13, 2007

"My father bought me a 1990 Jeep Cheerokee Laredo for my first car last summer (2006) with 202,000 miles on it. I loved it, although there were some parts on the vehicle that were worn out and needed replaced, there were no real mechanical problems with the jeep, even after 210,000 miles. Then the crank censor needed replaced, only because the old one was not updated. I read about this problem and it was common in most jeeps. I would strongly recommend this vehicle if you want a long lasting reliable SUV. I still have mine, and it's running great after 210,500 miles and 17 years on the road. When its time for me to get a new vehicle, there's no doubt about it, i'm lookin for a jeep!"

Rock Solid U.S. SUV

By on Sunday, July 22, 2007

"Have had two of them, ran 2nd one up to current 260,000+; still doesn't burn oil or leak fluids; tranny is fine. Always starts in Wisconsin winter, has Never Been in a garage. Has plenty of pep, even with a heavy load. Great Sound system, gas mileage considering size & weight is not laughable, 18-22 on highway. Handles very well, just need to respect weight, greater heigth than normal car. Good Wide Track too, tough to roll unless driving like a pin-head. Always has enough room for whatever I need to haul, which has been plenty and often and heavy; ie. 2-400 Lbs. + passengers. Would handle a load on trailer quite well, no doubt; my buddy has been using several jeeps with fishing boats no problem."

It's a Jeep

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"146K and running great. A few nuisance issues - rear auto locks stopped working, door doesn't stay open anymore on hills, brake wear. But I would still have no hesitation taking it 100 miles offroad over slickrock, sand, or mud. The straight 6 will pull you over anything and in 4wd you are unstoppable. As a family car, it is a bit cramped, lots of road noise, and seems to struggle to maintain 75mph, but if you want a true offroad vehicle that can also pack a few kids, a cooler, and a mountain bike, this would be my first choice."

i love this thing

By on Wednesday, September 10, 2014

"it is a sraight drive car and that is rare for the cherroke"