1996 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 574 Ratings for the 1984 - 1996 models.

Best Car I've owned

By on Sunday, October 04, 2009

"I have a '96 with the straight 6 engine. bought it 6 years ago with 100K miles on it for $3800...absolute bargain! Car has been reliable and sturdy...and has some serious pick up with that engine. Just got rear ended today and it totaled the other car...Jeep is damaged but not half as bad. I'm sad because the insurance company will probably total my Jeep for the cost of repairs...I would recommend this vehicle to anyone and would buy another if they improve the gas milage...I am getting under 15mpg but mine is showing it's age."

EXCELLENT!!!

By on Sunday, May 31, 2009

"I am on my second Jeep Cherokee. I totalled the first one in a freak rollover accident. Flipped 3 times, landed on it's side, EVERYTHING STILL WORKED!!! We pushed it back up onto its tires and drove it to the road to wait for a tow truck!!! The second Cherokee --still have it-- is a 1996 with just shy of 170,000 miles on it. I had to replace the oxygen sensor and the starter, but was able to do so myself in my driveway. After doing the work, it was minimal work done in my driveway with no special tools, it fires right up, runs as quiet as any new truck on the road, and gets 20 miles to the gallon... not too bad. I am currently looking at a third Jeep (sadly, I can't get a new Cherokee...) and was pleasantly surprised to learn that the trade-in value is excellent also. A quality product for sure... I'll never own anything else."

1995 cherokee sport 188kmile

By on Friday, May 22, 2009

"found this jeep on craigslist. the wife and I test drove it and it ran like a champ. powerful and quiet. paid 1500.00 for it. the next day the water pump and surpetine belt broke. still have to fix it. I still think it was a fluke and im not saying its a bad jeep yet."

By on Friday, December 26, 2008

By on Friday, November 21, 2008

"I bought brand new in 1992, 300,000 miles later it is still running strong. Besides brakes, tires and tune ups, all I have really had to do is change out a faulty thermostat and an alternator and a rear u-joint. Of course a few batteries and a muffler along the way. The Jeep is definately tough, plenty of control in snow or sand. I absolutley recommend this vehicle. Even as old as they are, they are very reliable and inexpensive to fix if need be."

259K and Running Strong

By on Sunday, November 02, 2008

"259,000 miles, 20 years, and still running strong. Mostly freeway and some off road. Valves at 76,000 otherwise routine maintenance has kept it going. Passes smog with ease. Well built and sturdy. The ride beats you up, but it keeps going and going... Jeep built them well back then. Satisfied customer..."

I'll keep it forever

By on Wednesday, August 27, 2008

"Just hit 200,000 miles! My jeep has never left me stranded or need to be towed. I've hardly had to fix anything on it but when I have, parts are cheap and repairs are very straight forward. The only downside to that is that it doesn't have anything too fancy. I keep my truck in really good condition and it has served me well. I would recommend a 96 Cherokee to anyone who wants a reliable truck."

Best at what it does

By on Friday, August 22, 2008

"Drive a well-maintained Cherokee and understand the feeling of being able to go anywhere, anytime. Great power from the big 6 (it'll outrun the 4.7L V8 in the Grand), good handling considering it's a Jeep, and room for four. There are seatbelts for five, but it'll get a bit cramped. It holds lots of cargo and you just can't hurt it. Might be a bit of a beating on a long trip, but's it's a great commuter. If you're thinking about one, drive it. If you can deal with the rough ride, this is the vehicle for you. That's it's only real drawback. But after all, it's a Jeep."

Best car you can buy.

By on Friday, August 15, 2008

"My Jeep is an absolute tank. This thing has been thouh heck and back, and is still kicking strong with 117,000 miles. I've driven past big trucks and SUVs that are stuck in ditches during the winter, and i can cruise comfortably on the highway. You don't get a better mix of backroad, highway, off road, bad weather, and good weather driving that with a jeep. This thing can do anything, and it will last you forever if you take care of it."

The liberty cant compete

By on Thursday, August 14, 2008

"My 1991 Cherokee was dubbed the the tank when i first got it, and it has done nothing but live up to that name. I used to commute from a cabin in the mountains of WV to school everyday, and rain,shine, or blizzard the tank went without a single hiccup. When i take trips, this bad boy gets around 23 mpg on the interstate, and thats with a bigger tire than stock. Over the 18 years this vehicle has been in service, the only problems it has encountered where worn out univerals at 110,00 miles, and a rusted out rocker panel. This vehicle has been nothing but dependable, and in a time when gas is outrageous, its nice to know it wont cost and arm and a leg to go somewhere. My parents recently bought an "08 Liberty, and although it tried to pull off the cherokee look, it never had a chance. It is such a shame that one of the great 4x4's of our time was replaced by an inferior product."

great first car

By on Tuesday, July 29, 2008

"I own a 1992 Jeep Cherokee. It is two door with the sport package. It is equipped with a 5 speed manual transmisson and a 4.0 liter 6 cylinder. It has been very dependable for me! It has 270,000 miles and still runs quiet, yet its got the power a Jeep should have. I am a volunteer firefighter and this Jeep has enough power to operate 8 flashing blue lights, and it the battery lasts great! The Jeep is excellent for me in bad weather when I am responding to calls and has even seen some off roading for rescues, there is no match for it!! I recommend this vehicle because it is safe, reliable, comfortable, and its like all Jeeps, ALL FUN! I hope this review is very helpful!"

A GREAT ENTRY LEVEL OFF-ROADER!

By on Thursday, July 24, 2008

"Jeep cherokees are very reliable if properly maintained. They make great starter off road vehicles due to solid front and rear axles. The dana 30 front and 35 rear axles are a good combo for 31" tires and a 3" lift. The AW4 automatic transmission is bullet proof mainly due to the fact that Chrysler had not designed it. These vehicles have a big fallowing and are a better option for an adventure vehicle on weekends and can still haul the kids around and get you to and from work. The 4.0L engine is the one to get perferably the 91' and up as the 87-90' have the early yet reliable injection system. If it breaks its hard to find parts for such as the PCM. Also noteworthy the 91' and up have 180-190 Hp. as the early models only had about 175. Yet the torque of the 4.0L remained about the same through all years of its production 225-235 Ft.Lbs which is great for off roading."

I love my jeep

By on Thursday, April 24, 2008

"I love my jeep. It has been a great car. I have driven it to Arizona, Florida, the smokies several times, Arkansas several times, New Jersey and some other trips that I can't remember right now. We have used it to pull our camper. I have never had any problems with it. It has been a very reliable car. It is a '95 and I have had it since '99. I feel safe in it and I feel that my family is safe in it too. I plan on giving it to my daughter when she gets her license. I don't use the 4 wheel drive very often, but it is nice to know that it is there."

1992 XJ Review

By on Saturday, April 19, 2008

"The XJ base has been reliable for me for over 8 years. After I added a 3" pro-comp suspension lift + 2" poly coil spacers, 1.75" shackles and 3" leaf packs = ~5" of suspension lift a SYE kit and custom driveshafts and 31x10.5 tires this is a very reliable XJ. I also swapped out the AW4 for a AX5 5spd trans. The 4.0 HO is basically a tank engine. cast iron head, cast iron block and done old school! 1 cam, 8 lifters and 2 valves per cylinder and only 6 head bolts all along the drivers side of the head. You simply can't go wrong with this engine. The aftermarket is big and you can take this platform up to a 5.0 with the help of the Jeep 4.2 C-rods and crank to make a stroker and put down over 300HP / 300HP at the flywheel Normally Aspirated! The floorboards tend to rust out in these. But the drivetrain is bulletproof!! I will swear by the 4.0HO/AX5/NV231/D30/8.25 combo!! This is my winter vehicle and living in wisconsin has never got stuck (pick a wise line) and never not started for me. If you want a reliable winter vehicle that can go through whatever mother nature throws at you lookat picking up a used XJ. 01' was the jast year for the XJ!"

Keeps on Running

By on Friday, March 14, 2008

"I have a 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport, not the Grand, with 160,000 miles on it. It just keeps going like the old Chevys from the 1960s. I spoke to young people at the Jeep dealership and they have Jeeps running and lasting over 200,000 miles. The interior and exterior still in great for the age and runs well. I will keep it "forever"."

Absolutely the best!

By on Tuesday, March 11, 2008

"I bought my jeep this past winter and it has been wonderful, I have had no problems getting through even the worst of snow storms this year and have loved it! It is even better during the summer for mountain trips and camping trips definitely reccomendable. It has 200,000 plus miles and it still running strong with no transmission or engine work done to it!"

Love this vehicle

By on Monday, February 25, 2008

"I have had this Jeep since I was a senior in high school. Going on 7 years!!!! I always thought I wanted a small sporty car, but after having my jeep through all the snow I don't even think about getting another vehicle. I went to college on the other side of the mountains and drove great up and down the mountains. It is great if you have to move stuff around (like for college). My stepmom has had her Cherokee since 96 and it is still running great! My dad has had 3 different Wranglers since the 80's and has loved all of them. I will always stick to Jeeps. None of us have ever wanted something else. Of course we have had to do minor work, but its routine of any vehicle with 203k! If I were to ever get rid of this Jeep it would be because I am getting another Jeep!"

Best Vehicle I ever had

By on Friday, February 01, 2008

"I have never had my jeep get stuck anywhere. I have used to to round up livestock in some pretty rough and muddy places. It handled it like it was nothing. I even pulled my 1 ton truck out of the mud when it got stuck."

Longest Lasting American built vehicle

By on Thursday, January 31, 2008

"Mine has 192,000 miles, original drivetrain still runs great. Up and down the mountains in CO no problem"

89 jeep cherokee larado

By on Friday, January 18, 2008

"I must say I have owned this vehicle for about 2 years now its 89 going to get a newer maybe 2004 or 2005 will always buy jeep and recommend them to others. This jeep has really held up I have repair stuff that would normally go wrong. Brand new shocks struts. Steering gear box brand new power steering and a few other things. I don't like leaks so none on this truck. Have not had a problem since has over 236 thousand miles on it."

Never want to say goodbye!

By on Friday, January 04, 2008

"Owned for 14 years! Giving it up now to get SUV with modern safety features for driving while pregnant. I can't say it's been the most reliable, but it has been the most versatile car I've ever owned. Cherokees tend to go bad @120K miles. I put about $4000 work into it mine & it has given me no problems since then. I'm currently at 155K. Lots of power for a 6 cyl. 4x4 capability is more than sufficient. It's a real workhorse! Problems as these cars age include: roof rack leaks, brakes, hydraulic lift for back door eventually need replacing (unless you don't care about having to hold the door up yourself)."

very good

By on Wednesday, December 19, 2007

"one of the highest quality vehicle chrysler has ever made. owned for 10 years and never cost me a dime other than maintenence"

GREAT WORKHORSE AND WORK CAR

By on Thursday, November 15, 2007

"A TOUGH AND FUN RIDE THAT GOES ANYWHERE AT GOOD VALUE WITH LITTLE MAINTENANCE. GREAT PERFORMANCE WITH THE SOLID IN LINE SIX ENGINE."

A New England Jeep

By on Thursday, November 08, 2007

"Ive had my XJ (cherokee) for 5 years now and its always been like a little tank. The I6 engine is unstopable. The styling is a little bland but its a Jeep and made for off road preformance. And its fantastic in the snow along with a great heating unit for all my ski trips."

Great car

By on Tuesday, August 07, 2007

"Bought this Jeep Cherokee new in 1990 and it has been the best car I have ever owned. Have packed in kids, pets, towed trailers and gone everywhere on and off road, good weather or bad...even the gridlock of the L.A. freeway system. The driver's visibility is great. After 18 years of our Jeep living at the beach, the automatic door locks don't work anymore, the paint is worn and the air conditioner needs freon. Kinda like me when I turned 60. Using a key to lock/unlock, or roll down the windows in hot weather was easily mastered."