1996 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 574 Ratings for the 1984 - 1996 models.

Good Vehicle

By on Sunday, August 26, 2007

"For the price that you are buying Jeeps for now adays, it is really worth the price. A 4 wheel drive for under 2 grand. You can drive these jeeps for ever. I love mine, and I have had it for 18 years now. 370,000 miles, and all I have had to replace is some electrical motors for the windows, and frequent oil changes. If you are wanting a car that is reliable, and worth the money spent, I would recommend a Jeep. I think that the stock 4.0 is a good engine, but I think that there could of been done more to them. I don't think that they are the prettiest thing that I have ever seen. I don't think the quality of all the plastic under the hood is all that great. They aren't all that comfortable either. But mine sure has been reliable. I enjoy waking up every morning and being able to say, hey I can go where I need to go, Rain, shine, or snow."

My First Vehicle

By on Monday, August 13, 2007

"My father bought me a 1990 Jeep Cheerokee Laredo for my first car last summer (2006) with 202,000 miles on it. I loved it, although there were some parts on the vehicle that were worn out and needed replaced, there were no real mechanical problems with the jeep, even after 210,000 miles. Then the crank censor needed replaced, only because the old one was not updated. I read about this problem and it was common in most jeeps. I would strongly recommend this vehicle if you want a long lasting reliable SUV. I still have mine, and it's running great after 210,500 miles and 17 years on the road. When its time for me to get a new vehicle, there's no doubt about it, i'm lookin for a jeep!"

Rock Solid U.S. SUV

By on Sunday, July 22, 2007

"Have had two of them, ran 2nd one up to current 260,000+; still doesn't burn oil or leak fluids; tranny is fine. Always starts in Wisconsin winter, has Never Been in a garage. Has plenty of pep, even with a heavy load. Great Sound system, gas mileage considering size & weight is not laughable, 18-22 on highway. Handles very well, just need to respect weight, greater heigth than normal car. Good Wide Track too, tough to roll unless driving like a pin-head. Always has enough room for whatever I need to haul, which has been plenty and often and heavy; ie. 2-400 Lbs. + passengers. Would handle a load on trailer quite well, no doubt; my buddy has been using several jeeps with fishing boats no problem."

Best Vehicle I have owned

By on Thursday, July 19, 2007

"Bought the Cherokee used in 1995 and it now has 248,000 and my son has it now for high school. This is the most reliable, durable vehicle I have owned. It was a perfect vehicle for me and my young family - especially during Wyoming winters. The back seat is not the most comfortable for adults but hey...."

It's a Jeep

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"146K and running great. A few nuisance issues - rear auto locks stopped working, door doesn't stay open anymore on hills, brake wear. But I would still have no hesitation taking it 100 miles offroad over slickrock, sand, or mud. The straight 6 will pull you over anything and in 4wd you are unstoppable. As a family car, it is a bit cramped, lots of road noise, and seems to struggle to maintain 75mph, but if you want a true offroad vehicle that can also pack a few kids, a cooler, and a mountain bike, this would be my first choice."

i love this thing

By on Wednesday, September 10, 2014

"it is a sraight drive car and that is rare for the cherroke"

love my tank

By on Monday, October 08, 2012

"i love this vehicle its tough can take a hit or two and keep rolling mine aint beautiful but can go any where and over anything."

Best value of any car I have owned.

By on Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Pros: "fun machine to drive and a great toad for RV"

Cons: "No cup holders"

"Economy could be better. Has good power, towing ability and fun off road even in stock setup. Great to tow behind RV."

tough as nails

By on Friday, January 20, 2012

Pros: "tough, strong, dependable"

Cons: "fuel economy (expected), no full size spare"

"these jeeps are great, they will keep running and running. the 4.0L is torquey and will take you anywhere you want to go, its also quite quick, youll surprise alot of ricers that pull up next to you at lights. only down side is it tends to go through water pumps every 60,000 miles or so, but if you learn to fix it yourself, its a <$100 repair."

Most dependable vehicle I have ever owned!

By on Sunday, January 08, 2012

Pros: "Dependable, flexible function, clear vision."

Cons: "Back seat entry/exit difficult."

"This 1995 Jeep Cherokee is great! It got me all the way home after I hit a deer when I was still 250 miles from home...the radiator had been punctured by the mounts, and I had to stop frequently to add water, but I was able to make it home...and then drive it another 20 miles the next day for a new radiator. I love the dependability!"

Reliable tough go anywhere vehicle

By on Saturday, January 07, 2012

Pros: "Goes anywhere, good styling, cubby spaces inside"

Cons: "no cup holders, bucket seats are uncomfortable"

"Our Jeep keeps on running with a current mileage of 241K. Goes anywhere, muddy roads, dirt roads, washed out rocky roads. Good in the high country at 10K elevation. Lots of space inside for cargo or dogs. Seats are uncomfortable and no cup holders included. Surprising how important that is when traveling. 4 wheel drive on the fly. Electric locks are wearing out and need TLC and lube but this is a great model from Jeep for those who go outside. Oil change every 3K and some replacement parts but this is expected."

Will own another!

By on Sunday, December 25, 2011

"What a vehicle, go anywhere, do anything, and have a blast at it. I bought mine with 223k miles on it and after a minor engine repair (reason why it was being sold) I had it up running and ready for anything. Its in amazing condition, doesn't show much signs of the wear it should, and is eager for any abuse I seem to throw at it (and believe me I throw some unbelievable things its way, which is ok since its not my primary vehicle). I was blown away by this vehicle and am determined to have another after this one. I should also mention that its stock, totally unmodified. Smooth, ample power. Surprisingly tight turning (and I don't mean just for a 4x4 either). Civil road manners. It rattles and jars a little on rough roads, but heck I expect it to (it is a Jeep after all not a Mercedes) and to all those who would gripe about that they should just learn to accept it and all the great attributes of this fantastic little SUV. A must own for any auto enthusiast, off roader, and anyone who appreciates a good vehicle."

This is one of the best vehicles ever made!

By on Thursday, December 22, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, handles well, comfortable seats"

Cons: "Low MPG, short seatbelts"

"I have owned my Jeep Cherokee Country for about one year and it is the best most reliable vehicle I’ve ever seen. It’s never left me stranded. As long as you take care of it and do all the basic maintenance, this vehicle will go over 300,000 miles before anything major breaks."

if you have the chance get it!!

By on Monday, October 24, 2011

Pros: "everything!!!"

1995 jeep cherokee sport

"I have a 95 Cherokee sport. never had any issues out of it at all. has plenty of power even at 201k. its only a 2wd but does great off road. it has never failed to start or take me anywhere. and from what i read the parts are cheap for these when you need to fix something. over all its a great vehicle, typically people would say to avoid a car with over 180k. these Cherokees have been known to easily last till 300k. all in all a great vehicle highly suggested!!"

1995 jeep cherokee sport

Best vehicle I've ever owned

By on Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Cons: "Cup holders were use less; not great on gas milage, but not as bad as you'd think!"

"The 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport with manual transmission was by far the best vehicle I've ever owned. I bough it new and owned it more than 15 years. It's engine was still powerful. I had to make very few major repairs the last decade and a half. It was capable of all the utilitarian duties (I often had to drive 2,000 miles in the course of a weekend and often in heavy, deep snow) expected of a Jeep and was always fun to drive as well. I particularly liked that I was able to engage/disengage the four-wheel drive, so I could use it only when I needed to. All in all, an excellent, well-built America-made car/truck -- and not too large. Thank you,Chrysler, and thank you members of the United Auto Workers!"

I wanted to keep it for the rest of my life

By on Monday, August 15, 2011

Pros: "Ultra reliable, inexpensive to maintain, good in the snow and dirt, kinda just fun to have."

Cons: "a little moldy."

"7 years of reliability. From the East Village to Tahoe to LA and back and then back again, it was solid everywhere. Then my girlfriend smashed it into a postal truck. Now I have to buy a new car. Might try to find another 96 Cherokee Country."

By on Wednesday, May 04, 2011

"Awesome 4x4 thats fun and last forever if taken care of. Very practical and looks great."

Jeep Cherokee Country

By on Saturday, March 05, 2011

"Good, solid, car that can offer something for everyone. For those in inclimate weather, it's hard to beat a Jeep equipped with 4X4. With wide aftermarket support, and many decades of loyal following, a Jeep owner should never be afraid a problem will be extremely hard, or costly to repair, in comparison with most cars on the road today. Great as a stock setup, or lifted and locked, this car can do it all. While not the greatest on gas, the inline 6 cylinder motor found in the Cherokees (XJ) is tried, and true, and can *easily* reach 250k miles with routine 'check ups,' and normal operation, including -light- off roading. Since Cherokees (XJ) aren't a production model anymore, one would most likely be looking at a used one. Some things to look at...... -Motor Mounts. These are commonly replaced in higher-mile Cherokees. Not exactly a costly repair, but, if its something you don't hafta do yourself, that's nice. -Rust. Those of you that live in places where roads are treated with salt...check the underside thoroughly. -Ensure 4x4 works. 4hi and 4lo....sometimes they don't like to slip in-and-out of 4lo. -Check mods/lift kits. And ask alot of questions if they are present. Test drives are great wayto check. -Check power potions, if present. To include the wipers and power steering/hoses. PS hoses like to leak over time, and the rear wiper fluid hose is notiorious for cracking and shooting the car behind you. :> Cheap, and reliable, with wide aftermarket support, and cheaper repair bills, the '94 Jeep Cherokee Country is a great, tuff lil Jeep that will treat its driver well. From rookie driver to our more 'experienced' drivers, the Jeep Cherokee has fans of all ages, and something to offer everyone..... Just dont expect to win any drag races, nor expect 35MPG. Jeep it real."

You Can't Beat a Jeep

By on Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"I was never a big Jeep fan, but I didn't have anything against them either. When my daughter's car blew up, we needed a cheap vehicle while the car was repaired. Someone sold me an '89 Cherokee with over 200K miles. The paint was faded and the speakers were blown. The tires were dry-rotted and the windshield cracked too. Can't beat the $400 asking price, especially considering that it started right up and went down the road. Got a windshield for $130 installed and slightly used tires for $100. Little things here and there, but you can't beat the cost of maintenance for this rugged vehicle. The car was fixed, but we can't part with the Jeep. It goes in snow, always starts and is comfortable. It's not pretty anymore, but 21 years is old for a well-travelled Jeep. I'm now officially a fan of Jeep!"

Old Paint

By on Wednesday, May 26, 2010

"I've had this Jeep since 95 and currently have 180K on the clock. I've modified it very little (2-inch lift, 31-inch tires) and it has gone everywhere I've ever asked it to go, and in all kinds of weather. The average comfort rating I gave is expected from a Jeep, and is no dig on the truck itself (it's also an artifact of the modifications I've done, but it's never been that good of a ride). Even now it has plenty of power, although it hits a wall at about 75 mph. I've driven everything from old VW bugs to M1 Abrahms tanks, and this has been the best overall vehicle I've ever owned."

My Favorite Car Ever!

By on Thursday, February 11, 2010

"I love this jeep. We've had it for 8 yrs. It's going on 18 yrs old, and it's still our reliable car. When we have to fix our other newer cars, the Jeep keeps running. We've only had to replace the brakes, water pump and a $150 transmission sensor in the entire time we've owned it. We're moving to California, won't pass emissions because of a performance muffler instead of a catalytic convertor, so we have to sell. I'm so sad! We're just going to have to buy a new Jeep."

By on Thursday, January 28, 2010

"One owner. Interior is in good shape. Tires are good. Engine runs great. The jeep needs a muffler. Paint is faded from sun. A couple of dings. 256,000 miles. Barely broken in!"

best car i have ever owned!!!!

By on Monday, January 25, 2010

"being a "mid-sized" man(5ft10in 225 lbs) my jeep is not the most comfortable ride in the world but that aside, this thing is GREAT! as of now i have 302000 miles on the original engine and tranny. starts everytime i hit the key, burns a little oil but i can get 20 mpg on the highway and still go anywhere! great 4wd system and i would by another one in a heartbeat. livin in western pa, winters can be bad and i never have to worry about gettin anywhere! this is the best style of jeep ever made!!!!!"

THE BEST SUV IVE EVER OWNED!

By on Saturday, January 02, 2010

"I have a 1992 XJ cherokee laredo. The thing is a tank. Before this i had a Geo Tracker. The 4x4 in this is better then the tracker. I love the metal bumpers. The rocker pqnels are starting to go but i will surely have them replaced in the spring!! I think the seats are comfortable. (mine has leather) The motor is very sound!! Tranny shifts very smooth! The biggest problem ive had was the brake regulator in the rear end deceided to tighten up. when that happened the brakes in the back would get extremely tight. when that happened i went thru a half a tank of gas driving 5 miles to the garage. Speaking of gas mileage i think the cherokee's MPG is pretty darn good for an older suv. I getaround 18-22 MPG. I would surely recomment this rig to a friend. This is my first cherokee of many!!"

Best Vehicle I Have Ever Owned

By on Monday, October 05, 2009

"this is my 3rd jeep cherokee i have owned an 89 cherokee and then a 2001 cherokee and then now my 96 cherokee i enjoy the 96 the most i like the styling the most and my 2001 cherokee was a stick and didnt care for that too much seems like it has much more guts in an automatic and it has more hauling capabilty and much greater off road capability as an automatic"