1996 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 568 Ratings for the 1984 - 1996 models.

Had three of them-this is my 3rd one!

By on Friday, November 15, 2013

Pros: "everything it is meant to do but fun doing it"

Cons: "that i couldn't lift 2 of them any faster"

"I will never let go of the love for my Jeeps. My first one was an 88 and I sold it for more then i bought it for. Should not have. Then I missed it so when I needed a car, I simply found another one. The second was an 89 and it had extremely high miles on it. Somewhere around 300000 and its still strong. I have been fixing it up to be a monster and meanwhile I stumbled onto another one, a 96 which is right where i wanted mine to be. It only has 106000 miles on it and it would cost me what I spent on the 96 to bring my 89 up to same point. I could not resist so I got it and now I sadly have to let the 89 go which is the most cleanest one I have ever seen. I have to pay the debt i created when i bought the 3rd. In my neighborhood there is a man who owns three of them also. I guess once you go jeep-you never let go! As for the looks and performance? 10 out of 10! mine all looked good and ran great! Snow was the most fun ever in my lifetime."

The best Jeeps around

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, runs forever"

Cons: "no cup holders, slow heat"

"I love love love my Jeep. It has plenty of power for every day driving and towing almost anything, albeit terrible gas mileage for both. It has a lot of character and I often hear "cool Jeep!" when people see it. The country version is definitely a must, the leather seats are nice gray (instead of the usual tan or black), the wheels have a different spoke pattern, and it just adds to the cool Jeep-y character. It's built like a tank, which is great for its safety ratings. I personally have been in 2 accidents in mine and it ate both of the other cars, while itself sustaining almost no damage. Everything that has ever needed to be fixed has been easily accessible and the parts readily available, which is definitely a plus for those of us who aren't exactly mechanics. In the country version there are air bags and a loud buzzer reminding you to wear your seat belt. It's held up great and has taken quite a few beatings while barely (if at all) compromising looks or mechanics. They're very easy to modify (mine has a lift, wider tires, new speakers, and a few other things). Definitely good for teenage or older drivers, as they have the total package for character, safety, and ease of maintenance."

My only new vehicle

By on Friday, November 08, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Noisy in backseat"

"I bought this vehicle new in May of 1993 and have driven it as my primary transportation all this time. It has consistently gotten 21/22 mpg. I enjoy driving it whether good or bad weather. It's only down side is that it is a bit noisy, especially for a passenger in the back seat. It has plenty of power, corners easily and is quite comfortable."

Beautiful Vehicle

By on Sunday, September 22, 2013

Pros: "Easy to work on. Fun to drive. Goes anywhere."

Cons: "No AC, cup holders, cruise control, or armrests."

1993 Jeep Cherokee, 238000 miles, ascending a hill.

"I am the seventh owner of my 1993 Jeep Cherokee. I purchased it with 190,000 miles, and those miles had not been easy ones: previous owners had thrashed the car. It had even been in an accident while in the dealer's lot! In the past year, I have added to the miles, so it now stands at 238,000 miles. I have done routine maintenance... oil changes with Rotella T5 every 5,000 miles, coolant every fall, differential fluid every six months, replaced old hoses, and so on. I have done some "elective" work, just as a preventative measure, such as replacing the water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing (it was cracked), fan clutch, alternator, shock absorbers, IAC valve, wires, and plugs. Non-elective work I've had to do was replace the u-joints and ball joints in the front end (they were all original), and the carrier bearings went bad in the rear differential so I replaced that. I also had to replace the master brake cylinder, the front pads, rotors, calipers and brake lines. I have yet to replace the leaf springs, though that is on my list, as my passenger side spring is soggy toast. I can't vouch for previous owners, but I also take the thing off road pretty regularly and, while I try to take it easy out there, things still get jostled enough to break. Despite this, the thing has never left me stranded, and has never let me down. She's not the prettiest, and definitely not the most luxurious (no cup holders, no air conditioning, no power windows... I don't even have an armrest!), but she'll get you where you're going through just about anything. I don't have any plans to get rid of it, and fully intend to get my Jeep, rust and all, to a quarter million miles. Even if I have to get out and push."

1993 Jeep Cherokee, 238000 miles, ascending a hill.

Tough Stuff

By on Saturday, September 07, 2013

Pros: "Dependable and a strong runner"

Cons: "Fuel consumption"

"I have a 1995 and have driven this vehicle for 7 years now. I traded another vehicle for this one and have put nearly 100K miles on it since I got it. It has room for my family of 5 and decent cargo space in the back plus a luggage rack. I have driven this Jeep through large amounts of snow, bad storms and even a flood and it just keeps going. It's an extremely easy vehicle to work on and the parts are cheap and easy to find. I often have people approaching me asking if I'd be willing to sell it to which I reply...NO! I will drive it until it won't drive any more which is hopefully a long time from now."