1996 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 573 Ratings for the 1984 - 1996 models.

20 years still strong

By on Friday, November 23, 2012

Pros: "reliable, fun to drive"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"own a 1992 Jeep Cherokee with 176k on the odometer. Routine maintenance..for it being 20 years old had to replace the following within this year: radiator, water pump, oil pan gasket, overhaul brake system, drive belt..runs strong, reliable..however, gas mileage is limited to 21 mpg on hwy going 55-60 mph..follow maintenance schedule and you will have a car for a very long time..i know of people who have way more miles that I have..so reliability speaks for itself..you cannot go wrong with the inline 6 engine..love this jeep."

Tough and Reliable

By on Thursday, March 27, 2008

"This Jeep has been very good to me. Not once has it left me stranded. The 4.0 has proven to be a particularly durable engine, giving me 240K miles so far. It still returns 20 mpg on the highway and starts without any complaint every day. Not a great looking vehicle, but charming. Wind noise is ever present and interior fit and finish are lackluster, yet all the power options still function reliably. The seats are supportive and remain comfortable on long drives. Cargo area is versatile and the back seat folds forward for a flat load floor. The back seat cushion itself can be fully removed quite easily, for a bit more storage space. Cupholders intrude on passenger legroom, but can be removed. The 4WD is manually selected from neutral, and has a Low range for extra power at low speeds. Parts are cheap and easy to find, and a person with limited mechanical experience can perform all maintenance without much ado."

The best Jeeps around

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, runs forever"

Cons: "no cup holders, slow heat"

"I love love love my Jeep. It has plenty of power for every day driving and towing almost anything, albeit terrible gas mileage for both. It has a lot of character and I often hear "cool Jeep!" when people see it. The country version is definitely a must, the leather seats are nice gray (instead of the usual tan or black), the wheels have a different spoke pattern, and it just adds to the cool Jeep-y character. It's built like a tank, which is great for its safety ratings. I personally have been in 2 accidents in mine and it ate both of the other cars, while itself sustaining almost no damage. Everything that has ever needed to be fixed has been easily accessible and the parts readily available, which is definitely a plus for those of us who aren't exactly mechanics. In the country version there are air bags and a loud buzzer reminding you to wear your seat belt. It's held up great and has taken quite a few beatings while barely (if at all) compromising looks or mechanics. They're very easy to modify (mine has a lift, wider tires, new speakers, and a few other things). Definitely good for teenage or older drivers, as they have the total package for character, safety, and ease of maintenance."

Best vehicle I've ever owned

By on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive, reliable, and will run FOREVER"

Cons: "interior is basic but more than enough for me"

Only on a Jeep

"I have put over 450,000 miles on this car believe it or not, and have had very few problems. Jeeps just aren't built like this anymore. It's been rolled twice and still looks good. I will drive this car until it rusts in half, then I'll weld it back together and keep driving it."

Only on a Jeep

Can't beat a Jeep!

By on Wednesday, October 01, 2008

"1992 Jeep. I've driven it pushing 13 years now. The clear coat has been coming off for 2 years now and it looks a bit rough. You would too for being 16 years old and being pushed for 198,000 miles. still going strong with the usual maintanence. Just bought it's twin to cannabalize for parts. Will rebuild it's engine to place in #1 when it goes and switch the front doors with as #2 has wing windows that actual open and close! This car has never let me down or refused to start. I'll drive it till the wheels fall off! It's a keeper for little money and repair!"

Most Reliable

By on Monday, August 13, 2007

"I am currently on my second cherokee -- same year, same engine, different color. My first was awesome. I would have driven it into the ground if it hadn't have been stolen. The engine had over 350,000 miles on it and was still running like a champ! My current cherokee is just as wonderful with over 205,000 miles. You just can't beat that 4cyl engine. I would recommend this vehicle to a friend any day."

Dependable and Long lasting

By on Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pros: "Dependable and long lasting"

Cons: "Gas mileage terrible"

"Has been the best vehicle I have ever owned, dependable and requires little maintanence. Purchased used in 1996 and have kept the oil changed between 3-6,000 mi. and only major repair to date has been the radiator. Would recommend Jeep hands down, would love to purchase another one but can't afford today's car prices, plan on driving this one till it can't go anymore. Would gladly trade my Mercedes for a Jeep Any Day! This Jeep has my heart forever!"

I love my car

By on Monday, August 22, 2011

Pros: "goes anywhere, anytime. Lived in Texas for awhile, great in snow or sand"

Cons: "favorite car to be stolen and taken to Mexico"

"I had the engine replaced 1000 miles ago. Broken motor mount tweeked engine into the radiator. Original mileage was 245,000 miles. No trouble with the car, excellent experience. I live in the desert, so tough on paint job, but 4wd is a thrill. weather is just as tough on upholstery"

Good small SUV

By on Tuesday, September 22, 2009

"I owned two of these a 95 and 96 which are the best years for the Cherokee. Before was too many cooling/engine issues and after too much weight and watered down performance. Great strong engine and responsive but suspension made for off road. Interior is wannabe but functional. This is a tough rig but really made to be upgraded for some offroad rather than a cruiser in town."

Made from the best stuff on earth

By on Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"I have been a Jeep Tech since 1993. When I bought my Cherokee in 96 I could have afforded almost any car I wanted. After 3 years of working in a dealer I new that this was the best product for the money. Here I am 12 years and 155,000 miles later still praising my Jeep. I have never had anything major replaced. I have had this thing in mud up to the doors, snow 36" deep and even in the surf at the jersey shore. It never has failed me once. In 12 years I have replaced only a few bulbs, the O2 sensor, TPS sensor, recently the radiator, and normal maintence. If you are looking for old faithful then this is the vehicle that I have said for 15 years is "Made From The Best Stuff on Earth""

200K and still ticking

By on Friday, October 05, 2007

"Well almost 200k. Bought this 9 years ago with 90k miles. It just turned over 184k and is just starting to show some engine problems. 2nd Gear in 5spd tranny was replaced around 100k. Haven't had to replace the brakes yet! I still keep checking, but pleanty of wear left. I do some rough off roading and hunting. Had to have the drivers side door hinges welded back on twice. When we bought it the milage was 21mpg, now it's around 19mpg. Use Bosh Platimum plugs or loose 2mpg. This has been a really great(Car, Truck, Jeep?). It's fun to drive, the 4.0 HO has lots of power. With some minor mods you can take it 4wheeling anywhere from Moab to the Rubicon. I wish Jeep still made them. no. 6 cylinder is getting low on compression and it uses a qt of oil a month now. Tows small camp trailers or ATVs fine. Buy one, drive it and take care of it, you'll be glad you did."

Tough Stuff

By on Saturday, September 07, 2013

Pros: "Dependable and a strong runner"

Cons: "Fuel consumption"

"I have a 1995 and have driven this vehicle for 7 years now. I traded another vehicle for this one and have put nearly 100K miles on it since I got it. It has room for my family of 5 and decent cargo space in the back plus a luggage rack. I have driven this Jeep through large amounts of snow, bad storms and even a flood and it just keeps going. It's an extremely easy vehicle to work on and the parts are cheap and easy to find. I often have people approaching me asking if I'd be willing to sell it to which I reply...NO! I will drive it until it won't drive any more which is hopefully a long time from now."

Love my jeep

By on Thursday, August 22, 2013

Pros: "Purchased mine for $800 and its still running"

Cons: "None of my gauges work- eh NBD"

"I have had a few fuel delivery issues but other than that suprisingly NO OVERHEATING issues- Rear main seal leak is a give in. DOES NOT SMOKE. I have launched our 16.5" boat at pineview reservoir and into rivers 2 years straight 3+ days a week and never had an issue. It does have hood spacers on it which help with the temp I am sure. 4-wheel drive used 2x living in northern utah that is surprising. Very evenly weighted- Good looking all around amazing vehicle. I would purchase this specific jeep for a child of mine if i had any. Amazing how many people trash talk it and how often they break down- any time i had an issue a little starter fluid and the issue was fixed."

Best vehicle ever

By on Saturday, August 13, 2011

"I bought this jeep brand new. It was our first family suv. We have kept it for so many years because it is a great vehicle. I have not done any major work to engine or transmission. This vehicle had been everywhere. From Mazatlan Mexico to Vancoveer Canada to East Coast and back to Calif. I would recommend this vehicle to anybody looking for a reliable car."

205K

By on Monday, August 31, 2009

"Best car I have ever owned. I bought it with 70K on it and it is still running strong 135000 miles later at 205K. I have put highway miles, city miles, off road miles, and boat towing miles on it. It has never missed a beat. I loved having the 5spd manual. I really think it improved the gas mileage over the automatic."

By on Tuesday, July 15, 2008

"I bought the vehicle with 94,000 miles (~$6000). 9 years later it has 211,000. Maintance has included radiator leak (~$200), water pump leak (~$150), clutch replacement (~$600), and oil changes every 5000-10000 miles. The vehicle still runs great. very reliable. Easy to work on for the DIY's. I will buy a similar vehicle when this one finally dies."

Great vehicle

By on Saturday, March 01, 2008

"I have had this jeep for nearly a year. 1996 Jeep Country, and I love it. it is reliable and comfortable and just what I need to knock around in. Not the sportiest, lovliest or newest, but its just what a 47 year old guy needs to run to Lowes and back. It never fails and is fun to drive. I would drive it if I were 19 or 99. Thanks."

I love the Jeep Cherokee!!!!

By on Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Pros: "4X4!!!!!"

Cons: "no cup holders, literally."

"I'm only getting rid of my 1996 Jeep Cherokee Country because I need a newer car with much better gas mileage. However, even though this was my first car, I LOVE IT! There's a certain pride in owning an off roading vehicle. It's a ton of fun to drive and even though it's not the best road vehicle it still gets the job done. I've done countless 500 mile trips in it and I'm over 6 ft 4 in tall but I've survived every trip! Every time I drive it I fall in love with it over and over again. There are so many cool things you can do to this model jeep but like I said I need a different car with better mileage (thanks to those 500 mile trips :/ ). Off roading opens up a whole new world of driving and I have my Jeep to thank for that. It's not a comfortable vehicle in any way... no cup holders, leaky body/doors/windows, it's quite noisy at high speed, a little small for me, everything's made out of cheap plastic (because it's meant to be replaced after you flood your Jeep in a river or whatever LOL), and it gets TERRIBLE gas mileage. I got like 11 city MAYBE 19 highway if I was good. Usually like 17 why. However... that 4.0 litre I6 HO is a little monster! It will be pulling and wanting more at like 90 mph but you can't give it any more because the speedo stops at 85 and you're already scared for your life! This is probably more a young person's car, mostly because it just isn't comfortable, but it sure is a blast!! :) In the year that I've owned the car I've put tens of thousands of miles on it, welded the door back on, dealt with it overheating in the desert, blasted through the dunes, driven through floods, and pretty much just had an amazing time with my first car. I love my Jeep."

Awesome car!

By on Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pros: "Buttleproof Engine!"

Cons: "1996=NO CD PLAYER"

"This car is amazing! The engine has over 200k miles on it, but it still runs like new. I bought this car for around a thousand dollars and I couldn't be happier. Runs so smooth, pickes up speed like new. The build on this car is incredible. They just don't make them how they used to. I am in love with my car. I am buying some seat covers for my car since the seats have taken a beating. BUY THIS CAR, YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!!!! :D"

Pleasantly surprised

By on Friday, April 06, 2012

Pros: "Doesn't attract car thieves."

Cons: "It's old. (A Pro?)"

"My first Jeep, bought 8 years ago with 117K miles on it. Now at 202K. Some people think I'm nuts for loving such an old car. Read the other posts - these thing do run forever. I'm thinking around 300K miles it might need some serious work. Maybe not. It's not a Cadillac. Choppy ride on rough roads and a little noisy. Drives/steers/handles great for a small SUV and I think the seats (front) are comfortable. Back seat is for kids or really short trips. On smooth highways it's fine. Four hours of bad Oklahoma highways will wear you out. GREAT engine/trans (4.0HO with auto). 2wd but put some weight in the back and it handles snow well. If you're thinking of buying one stay away from rusty/wrecked examples. Otherwise there shouldn't be much to worry about. More reliable than a tank and drives better. Oh: I have cupholders!! Looks like a ten dollar option mounted in front of the armrest over the e-brake."

I'm 21 this is my 4th vehicle, and most reliable

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

Pros: "Great vehicle to work on i.e. lifting and such."

Cons: "No cup holders, not the best ride quality"

"Old jeep but runs great 4wd must last forever! Not the best ride quality but most rugged, useful vehicle I have ever owned"

Jeep Reliability all wrapped in fun!!

By on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable, 4x4 fun"

Cons: "No standard cup holders, not enough air vents"

I Love my jeep!!

"OLD SCHOOL FUN!! I got my 1994 Cherokee sport 4x4 automatic so I didnt have to drive my 2005 mistang GT in the snowy months. WOW.. it is so much fun. Jeep is known for being rugged and fun, and this is no exception. A small oil leak, ( fixable) but hey its 18 years old.. rides smoother then expected, but still bumpy , but the seats are confortable, and it is fun to drive!! Car seats fit well in the back as well. Sound bar in the back on the roof is great too!! Never any major issues with this car. Reliable and tough is what you get! Throw your sports gear in back, and have fun!"

I Love my jeep!!

LOVE my jeep!

By on Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pros: "very reliable,"

Cons: "well, no cup holders, lol"

"My little red jeep is a 1991. It just keeps going and going and going. I call her my Energizer Bunny. We STILL get 25 mpg with her. NO expenses for up keep, (i.e. starter, altanator, radiator, etc.) She is well made and we hope to make it our oldest grandsons first car. He's 11 right now. BUY a jeep if you can! You will never be sorry!"

Just keeps on going

By on Sunday, February 21, 2010

"Have had this 96 Jeep Cherokee country for 5 years. It has never failed to start, is a dream in the snow and the most reliable older vehicle I have ever owned. The country leather seats are so comfy and the heater is amazing in the cold MI winters. If you want a cheap 4x4 for the winters this jeep can't be beat. In the 5 years replaced, radiator, suspension & brakes . Wear & tear items at 154000 & not expensive on parts. The engine is a beast can still gun it and it kicks me back in the seat. Great fun, reliable drive. I will keep this car until it dies. Tiny bit of rust on one sill, but still solid and no holes."

great offroad machine

By on Thursday, October 22, 2009

"This a great vehicle. has minor electrical problems sometimes, but most repairs are easy fixens. mine is a 89 with 190k on it and still runnin strong. awesome rig to build up and make a nice offroad machine. gotta love the cherokee!"